PDA

View Full Version : PM tracking....question

finn's mom
07-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Hey, everyone. Just wanted to ask this real quick. When a message is in the "recipient has not read" section, I know what that means....:) And, when it moves down to the other section, I know that it means the recipient has read it. My question, though, is when the message shows as not read, then just disappears from the tracking section completely, what's up with that? Does that mean the person just deleted it without opening it? Or denied receipt? Just curious......

dukedogsmom
07-18-2005, 03:49 PM
I think it means that they read it. There are some people here that are kind of invisible like that. They just have their settings different.

popcornbird
07-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I think it means that they read it. There are some people here that are kind of invisible like that. They just have their settings different.

No...it means that they clicked on 'deny receipt'. It has nothing to do with the settings. I experimented on this by PM'ing myself. ;)

dukedogsmom
07-18-2005, 03:55 PM
I've sent many messages and had them read and they've done the same thing. There's no way I could have had conversations about the pm if it's never been read.

popcornbird
07-18-2005, 03:57 PM
I didn't say it means the person didn't read the message. When someone clicks on 'deny receipt', you don't get a RECEIPT in your message tracking. That doesn't mean they didn't read it...they did....Just didn't send you a receipt by clicking on deny receipt.

dukedogsmom
07-18-2005, 04:04 PM
Ok. Duh! I thought they meant the same. Why would they do that, I wonder?

sirrahbed
07-18-2005, 04:32 PM
I wonder that myself:p
I know I like my presense to be invisable...but never thought of denying receipt. Guess it is another way to be :cool: ?

buckner
07-18-2005, 05:08 PM
I've accidentally clicked "Deny Receipt" before.. :o I didn't mean to but it just keeps happening.

RobiLee
07-18-2005, 05:26 PM

My guess would be that they don't want you to know when they read it. That is the only reason I can think of.

Ginger's Mom
07-18-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by buckner
I've accidentally clicked "Deny Receipt" before.. :o I didn't mean to but it just keeps happening.

So have I. They may not have meant to do it.

finn's mom
07-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Oh, I get it, now. Interesting. It's so weird, though, I mean, the only reason I could think is that the person doesn't want me to know when they got it, but, by clicking deny receipt it goes off the tracker altogether. Either way, you can tell they got it. ;) Unless they clicked on deny receipt accidentally. It just seems like with certain people, it happens a lot. I never even considered using it......if there are people that do use it, and, wanna share with me the reasons.....it could be enlightening for me! :) It doesn't have to be people that I chat with, and, it'll be kept in private. I'm just wondering why anyone would purposefully do that....

popcornbird
07-18-2005, 09:54 PM
I never understood why people use it either. I don't think its necessary for a person to know WHEN the other person read it. I just want to know that its been read, and I can tell either way. ;) You can tell 'when' anyway, if you check message tracking often. The moment you notice it disappeared means its been read...and if you check pretty often, that couldn't have been too long ago. :p

I have accidently clicked on it, but I know some people always do it on purpose. I can't understand why, but oh well.

micki76
07-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Yep, I've accidentally clicked it, too. :rolleyes: :D

finn's mom
07-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
but I know some people always do it on purpose. I can't understand why, but oh well.

Yeah, oh well. ;)

Lexi_Lover
07-19-2005, 08:43 AM
I don't know if this has happened to me, but its ONLY happened when I send it to one person, and they ALWAYS return my PMs! :confused: Maybe some peoples settings do have it so they aren't tracked....

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-19-2005, 09:11 AM
I never click on it! In my opinion it is rather a rude thing to do :rolleyes:

finn's mom
07-19-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Maya & Inka's mommy
In my opinion it is rather a rude thing to do :rolleyes:

I kinda thought so, too....or at least a shady thing to do. ;) I did hear from one person privately that had done it once.....and, I've heard a few people that do it accidentally, and, that's different. I'm all ears, though, if someone wants to enlighten me on why it would be used regularly.....it just still makes no sense to me, but, I'm interested in hearing why someone might use it.

Logan
07-19-2005, 01:35 PM
I have hit "deny receipt" on Private Messages before, by accident before and I never knew until now what happened when I did it. Sorry if I've ever offended anyone by doing that to you! It was never intentional! :o One time I really offended a good friend, as well, by deleting a message that I had sent her when she didn't open it for several weeks. Turned out she didn't have her PM notification turned on so she didn't know it was there and when I deleted it, she thought I was mad at her because some huge "Deleted" sign showed up in red letters and showed that I had deleted it. :o :o I sure was happy that we cleared that one up! LOL!!

What is intentional, though, is when I get a personal email with a "return receipt". I say "no" to those requested receipts every single time. Finally had to admit to my mother in law that I don't open forwards very often and that I never say yes to a returned receipt unless it's business, just so she wouldn't think I was never opening her emails. She stopped forwarding stuff to me all together. It's not that I don't like forwards, I just don't like all the "junk" that goes along with them and if people would take the time to just clean them up and get rid of all the previous addresses before sending it, it would be so much better!

Hehehe!! :o I'm off my soapbox now and headed back to work.

Logan

finn's mom
07-19-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Hehehe!! :o I'm off my soapbox now and headed back to work.

Logan

You're fun, I love reading your posts. I didn't think that was too soapy. :D I agree with the forwards thing, I rarely respond to them. I try to read them sometimes, if I have time, but, I don't usually think many of them are worth replying to or forwarding. I have one friend that only sends forwards, loser. ;) Ah, well. I don't know that I've ever hit deny receipt before, and, I had NO idea what it did until this thread. Glad you were able to fix things with you and your friend, though!

dukedogsmom
07-19-2005, 03:38 PM
I consider most forwards nothing more than spam. And it kind of makes me mad because now a lot of people I don't even know have my email address.
Back to the pm thing, there's some people that use that deny receipt all the time. I would like to know why, too. Like Popcornbird said, if you check the message tracking often, you can tell when they read it, anyway.

finn's mom
07-19-2005, 06:15 PM
I would like to know why, too. Like Popcornbird said, if you check the message tracking often, you can tell when they read it, anyway.

Or at least that they know you sent it. I think you can click on deny receipt without opening and reading the message. I usually don't bother with the tracking thing anyway, and, I end up with a full message box because of it. But, lately, I realized what it was, and, I've been looking at it. And, I kept wondering what the heck was going with certain ones, it was just irksome to not know why it was only happening with certain messages and not all of them....this explains at least what's going on, but, I'm still lost as to why it's used. Hmmm......someone wanna enlighten me? I know y'all are out there! :D

finn's mom
07-20-2005, 09:22 AM
bumping this up in case a deny receipter hadn't seen it yet. ;) No one has shared anything with me, yet, and, I just wanted to try one more time......

anna_66
07-20-2005, 09:46 AM
Well the only reason I could guess would be so you didn't know if they read the pm or not. I guess some people don't like other people to know when and if they read them:)

finn's mom
07-20-2005, 09:51 AM
Well, everyone knows what assuming does....makes an a** out of you and me. ;) Ha ha, but, I can only assume that the deny receipt is a rude thing and meant to be that way, as I've not had one person tell me why it would be used regularly. Crazy! If it wasn't meant to be a negative thing, I would think someone would have volunteered a reason to me, even if it was just privately. C'est la vie. But, I hope it doesn't happen to too many other Pet Talkers in here, because so far, the folks that have shared with me that it's happened to them as well, have said that it hurt their feelings at the time.

swimma253
07-20-2005, 09:52 AM
I always seem to click deny recipient accidentaly. Once I clicked it and didnt know, and just got the message a couple days ago, which was like a year later! :eek: :p

finn's mom
07-20-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by anna_66
Well the only reason I could guess would be so you didn't know if they read the pm or not. I guess some people don't like other people to know when and if they read them:)

But, you can tell when they've received it, though, I guess I don't see the difference......I don't personally care when someone has read it, just that they received it. I guess I just was curious why someone would worry about whether or not the other person knew they'd read the pm. Oh, heck, it's hurting my brain. Ha ha, I'll just go back to never even looking in my message tracking. ;) Again, I just hope no one lets their feelings get hurt anymore when someone denies receipt of their pm, it's not worth it.

finn's mom
07-20-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by swimma253
I always seem to click deny recipient accidentaly. Once I clicked it and didnt know, and just got the message a couple days ago, which was like a year later! :eek: :p

Ha ha, oops! ;)

Daisy and Delilah
07-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Kari, You have really brought up a good point here. I think when each one of us sends someone a PM, we are making a special effort to be nice and thoughtful to someone. It does hurt when you don't get anything back or at least just an acknowledgement from someone. It's especially hurtful to see your PM "disappear" so to speak. You're left hanging and wondering what happened. If you've taken the time to PM someone, naturally you want to track it to check it's status. I don't think anything is wrong with you being concerned about this and again, thanks for starting this thread.

Terry

carole
07-21-2005, 05:01 PM
I have never pressed it accidentally or had any problems with it, I just assumed it was a rude thing to do, by the wording itself DENY RECEIPT,self explanatory in that way.

I guess not all pm's are sent with friendly intentions.

dukedogsmom
07-21-2005, 06:13 PM
I agree with that, Carole.

anna_66
07-21-2005, 06:16 PM
I personally think some people (and I think we all know who we're really talking about here) do it because half the time when they read PM's their doing it in a hurry and don't have time to fully reply to a PM.

So no, I really don't think it's rude. Not what I do, but not rude either.
We all have different ways of doing things.

finn's mom
07-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Daisy and Delilah
Kari, You have really brought up a good point here. I think when each one of us sends someone a PM, we are making a special effort to be nice and thoughtful to someone. It does hurt when you don't get anything back or at least just an acknowledgement from someone. It's especially hurtful to see your PM "disappear" so to speak. You're left hanging and wondering what happened. If you've taken the time to PM someone, naturally you want to track it to check it's status. I don't think anything is wrong with you being concerned about this and again, thanks for starting this thread.

Terry

Sorry I'm just now getting back to this thread. But, the reason I even posted this to begin with was because I thought it was my messaging that was screwed up, maybe my tracking or just my settings or something. I didn't know to ask a particular person or people, because it had happened to me with a few people over the last couple weeks. If I'd thought it was the person on the other end doing anything at all, I would have asked privately. The question didn't become "why use deny receipt?" until after at least one person said that that was what was happening. I always thought Deny Receipt was like when you blocked emails from certain people, so, I never used it. I know what it is now and why some people use it. I've gone back to not even looking in the message tracking section. Even when I first realized what it was, I thought it was a bad idea.

And, Terry, I'm sorry that you have felt hurt by the use of that particular feature. I remember when the rating stars were removed, I think it would be a good idea to remove that feature, too. I've had a lot of people tell me it's hurt their feelings. It just always weirded me out, like what the heck? Didn't I just send one?! I was too naive as to what was actually happening for it to hurt my feelings. ;) That's why I asked, I felt stupid that I didn't know! But, at least I know now. And, I hope no one really takes it too personally, as I don't think it's meant to be insulting.

G535
07-22-2005, 01:09 AM
I haven't had a pm on this forum yet but on a few others I find that if one skips to the end of the pm and clicks on the send receipt button that one really doesn't have to read the pm at all. I found that little piece of useless information while testing forum software, it's something I do because I just have to know how things work! I haven't had time to test this forum's software yet.

Daisy and Delilah
07-22-2005, 07:52 AM
After re-reading my post, I really sounded kinda whiny. Sorry, I didn't mean to. Thanks for the response Kari. I had questions myself on previous occasions about the same circumstances mentioned by some people posting in this thread. I was curious too. Alot of questions of mine have been answered about this process now. I think it's always good to have open discussions about things like this. I can be pretty naive at times for sure(even at my age!) so I like to get an education on things I don't fully understand. Thanks for the info everybody.:D

Terry

carole, You're right that all PM's are not sent with good intentions. Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't even realize that until you said it.