PDA

View Full Version : Suspicious spots? Advice needed!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-18-2005, 12:21 PM
My stomach started to itch really badly last night while I was at a friends house. I didn't want to just whip my shirt up to see what the matter was, but I looked this morning when I got home and I see lots of little spots scattered throughout my stomach and on my sides.

I've already had chicken pox (still have the scars!) and I don't know what these could be. Could it be from sleeping in a hotel bed? We stayed at a Super 8 in Madison, could it be something like that? Otherwise I have no idea where these came from and why they itch so much. :(

These are all over my stomach, my sides from my armpits down to my waistline, and on my right breast only. What could these be?

caseysmom
07-18-2005, 12:23 PM
I think there is such a thing as bed bugs, could be that.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Here's another picture... *itchitchitch*

moosmom
07-18-2005, 12:25 PM
It could be flea bites. Or possibly spider bites?? Or, maybe it's a microscopic bug that hides in the mattress. If they itch really bad, I'd have them checked out.

Or, you can go and get anti-itch cream and put it on till they clear up.

Good luck, kiddo.

BTW, I'm in love with your Abby girl. I had Airedales growing up as a kid.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
It could be flea bites. Or possibly spider bites?? Or, maybe it's a microscopic bug that hides in the mattress. If they itch really bad, I'd have them checked out.

Or, you can go and get anti-itch cream and put it on till they clear up.

Good luck, kiddo.

BTW, I'm in love with your Abby girl. I had Airedales growing up as a kid.

Thanks!

Itch cream sounds like a good idea. My mom has the same thing, I think... she said she has a whole bunch of itchy spots too. :confused:

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Oh, and when I said they itch, I meant they itch like a mosquito bite would. They don't bother me until I bump them or something, then I have to fight of the urge to scratch.

CountryWolf07
07-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by ILoveMyAbbyGirl
Oh, and when I said they itch, I meant they itch like a mosquito bite would. They don't bother me until I bump them or something, then I have to fight of the urge to scratch.

I had that, could be coming from stress.. they could be some sort of viral infection, but nothing serious. Mine went away in a couple weeks..

DJFyrewolf36
07-18-2005, 12:37 PM
If your mom has the same thing, Id be inclined to believe that there was something icky at the motel. From what you discribe, they sound like bug bites. We have these mite things in the springtime here and boy do those bites ITCH!

I'd put some anti-itch stuff on them and wait to see if they clear up. If they arent gone in a few days, I'd see a doctor.

Hope you feel better! I like your siggy btw :D

lv4dogs
07-18-2005, 12:49 PM
It could be many things, including what the others have mentioned.
I did read somewhere that bed bugs were becoming more popular in hotels again. I'm not sure what the actual bites look like though.

It also looks like the very begining stages of scabies (the same thing as Sarcoptic mange in dogs).

If I were you I'd go to a Dr. to have it checked out. Also call the hotel & tell them your problem since you & your mom stayed there. Also ask if any other guests are complaining of the same thing.

dukedogsmom
07-18-2005, 12:54 PM
If it is Scabies, I pity you. I had that as a kid(caught it from a neighbor kid) and it is horrible! I don't think it's that because you can't ignore that itching. Here's a link to the facts. I was going to post a link to some pics but some of them were indecent.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/scabies/factsht_scabies.htm
Also, you need to alert the hotel asap! They need to know about this.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Mom suggested it was fleas. Is it possible that it's just fleas? Bella DID come from a farm, so it is possible that she has/had fleas. I'm going to buy her a flea collar today and some flea bath stuff. Any recomendations for flea treatment on Bella?

kittycats_delight
07-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
It also looks like the very begining stages of scabies (the same thing as Sarcoptic mange in dogs).

I was thinking the very same thing. Especially after you mentioned the hotel and your mom having them as well. We had a major outbreak when I was in high school with all the kids that went to Europe. We are ended up contracting scabies from a hotel in Wales. It was horrible and when they first started coming out that is exactly what they looked like. Go to the Dr. for sure and rule that out.

Samantha Puppy
07-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Could be bed mites/bed bugs/fleas - anything along that line. If I were you, I'd DEFINITELY go to the doctor.

furrykidsmother
07-18-2005, 01:14 PM
At first I was going to suggest something like a heat rash, but since your Mom has it too it could very well be something you picked up at the hotel. I would go see a doctor just to be on the safe side and to get some relief for the itching. They can probably give you some kind of cream or something to help rid the itching.

lv4dogs
07-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Mom suggested it was fleas. Is it possible that it's just fleas? Bella DID come from a farm, so it is possible that she has/had fleas. I'm going to buy her a flea collar today and some flea bath stuff. Any recomendations for flea treatment on Bella?

I really doubt you and your mom would have THAT MANY bites from just fleas. If they were caused by fleas I don't think that you could NOT see them, they would have to be everywhere.

PJ's Mom
07-18-2005, 01:22 PM
They look like flea bites. I hope the itchies stop soon. :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-18-2005, 01:33 PM
It could be some allergic reaction too! But then if your mom has same thing... :confused:
Better go and see a doctor!

carole
07-18-2005, 06:19 PM
Megan my first thought was scabies as well, they usually start between the fingers though and are very itchy, so do you have any irritation between your fingers, if so get to the doc smartly, you will need a special lotion to cover yourself with and also have to wash your bedding etc, I did think of allergies, but then you mom has them too, so that kinda outrules that I think.

Hope the itching stops soon , take an antihistimane pill for the itch that always helps , just don't leave it without seeing a doctor if it gets any worse ok.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-18-2005, 06:28 PM
No, none between my fingers. I think it rules out scabies, like everyone said, they don't itch that bad and my mother has them too. I don't think it's fleas, we gave Bella a flea bath today, and we couldn't see any, and I don't think it's from the hotel, my mom had them before we stayed.

*super confused*

Like I said, they don't itch unless I scratch them, so most of the time they don't bother me unless I subconciously scratch... :p

carole
07-18-2005, 06:36 PM
You are indeed a puzzle, it could be allergies, perhaps both your mother and you ate something or touched something you are both allergic too, glad it is not driving you mad with the itch, does not sound too serious then, just keep an eye on them and take a pill for the itch if it gets bad, hope it all goes away as fast as it came.:)

Luvin Labs
07-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Is it hot where you are? I get that sometimes when its hot out. Look up heat rash on google and click on images, kinda looks like that (and chicken pox, and... who knows)

Itch cream/calamine lotion... See a doctor if the itch cream and stuff does not work in a few days!...

Some people who have had chicken pox before can get it again, especially if its that bad that you still have scars!...

What places has your mom and you been that would have had those spots arise?

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Maybe THAT'S it! It's been OVERWHELMINGLY hot out for the past two weeks... mid 90's. Thanks!

Luvin Labs
07-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Maybe THAT'S it! It's been OVERWHELMINGLY hot out for the past two weeks... mid 90's. Thanks!

NO problemo... I HOPE that's it.

I got it a lot on my tummy, and my bewbs (underside mostly, where ya sweat a LOT and rubs against bra/tummy)... esp when its SO hot out.

Trying to remember wtf I used to stop the itching and make it go away....

lotion is one, trying to stay cool is another, and anti itch cream for when its real bad (since it doesn't bug you that much)...

Edit: It says on some medical sites to use POWDER and Not cream...

Recognizing Heat Rash

Heat rash looks like a red cluster of pimples or small blisters. It is more likely to occur on the neck and upper chest, in the groin, under the breasts, and in elbow creases.

What to Do

The best treatment for heat rash is to provide a cooler, less humid environment. Keep the affected area dry. Dusting powder may be used to increase comfort, but avoid using ointments or creams-they keep the skin warm and moist and may make the condition worse.

Treating heat rash is simple and usually does not require medical assistance. Other heat-related problems can be much more severe.

::crosses fingers for ya::

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-18-2005, 07:08 PM
I hope that's it... and nothing worse! Thanks, Terri!

micki76
07-18-2005, 10:09 PM
We have something in the south called chiggers. Looks like chiggers to me.

I NEVER sleep on hotel sheets. No matter how nice or how expensive, I take my own sheets. It's so gross to sleep on sheets that SO many have slept on, and I doubt the are washed very well OR sanitized. My mom always took sheets with us on vacation and I always will too. People laugh at me until they think about how gross those "clean" sheets are. :p

*shudders*

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-19-2005, 12:07 AM
I think it's just heat rash. Here's what I found on this site (http://www.mydr.com.au/default.asp?article=2237) (oddly, an Australian doctor site... lmao, just noticed that) but it describes what I have to a T.

HEAT RASH OR PRICKLY HEAT

What is heat rash or prickly heat?
Prickly heat, or heat rash, is a harmless but very itchy skin rash with small red spots all over the affected areas. It is common in Australia in hot and humid areas.

What causes heat rash?
The rash is caused by a blockage and inflammation of sweat ducts during times of exposure to heat and high humidity. These blocked sweat ducts cause sweat to escape into adjacent tissue thus producing the itching and prickling sensations associated with the condition.

What are the symptoms of prickly heat?

Tiny red spots, which usually appear on areas of the body where sweat collects, such as the armpits, back, under the breasts, chest, groin, crooks of elbows and knees, and the waist.
Irritating itch and prickling sensation.
Redness and mild swelling of the affected area.

What you can do:
Treating heat rash is simple and usually does not require medical assistance. Other heat-related problems can be much more severe.

Wear light, loose-fitting soft clothes. Avoid clothing that traps heat and moisture. Natural fabrics such as cotton are best.
Stay in cool or air-conditioned, or well-ventilated environments. Use a fan if necessary.
Take frequent cool baths or showers. Dry yourself thoroughly and dust bland types of powder (such as unperfumed talcum powder) on body creases and affected areas.
Apply calamine lotion or prickly rash lotions to soothe the affected areas, but avoid using ointments or creams — they keep the skin warm and moist and may make the condition worse.
Do not scratch.

king2005
07-19-2005, 01:04 AM
Those look just like the little bites I use to get all the time. I get those from mites & any kind of clothing soap that isn't powdered Sunlight.

I know its not a bed bug, cause if it was u'd know! (the bites r bigger then that)

& its not fleas. When the dogs had fleas really bad, they still tend not to go after humans all that much & when they do, its just a few nips onthe legs & arms.

I'm still trying to recover from a bug bite I got when I was in PEI 3 weeks ago. It looked like a blood bruse, then turned into a blood bruse with puss in the middle & then it was a puss ball & that lasted 2 weeks.. now its a big ugly dry spot. I think the heat wave isn't letting it heal properly, cause I've had bited before & they didn't last thins long (too lazy to go to the clinic)