PDA

View Full Version : One White Whisker...

jennifert9
07-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Duncan has a white whisker that just appeared one day....:(
It's so cute and sad at the same time....

He will be 5 this year approximately. The vet gave him a birthday of around November 15th, 2000 since he was adopted from the SPCA and we really don't know how old he is.
I remember thinking when I first got him and he was around 6 months old and a Holy Terror that maybe he would calm down as he got older. (He hasn't!:D) But at the same time that thought made me sad because I need him to be around forever....poor guy, so much pressure!;)
He has always had a little bit of white around his neck where his scar is from the abuse before I got him :( and what hair has grown in there has grown in white. And a little bit of white on his chin that hasn't changed... But this white whisker came out of nowhere....It's a daily reminder to me to cherish him everyday. :)
A few month ago I went to visit my old roommate's dog Jack when he was sick and saw that he had aged so much since the last time I saw him. (He's a golden and has that typical white muzzle that they usually get) Kate broke down in tears because I didn't mention the aging and just loved on him...It's so personal I guess, to see your dog aging....
Have any of you seen these "signs" that make you think one day? I don't want to be sad and dismal but more...hopeful and appreciative....

dukedogsmom
07-15-2005, 08:43 PM
I know how you feel so much. Here's how Duke looked when I got him
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/youngduke1.jpg
And you know how he is now. It tears me up inside. Don't be too worried about that one hair. I know it's sad but Duncan should have many, many happy years ahead. I have tears in my eyes as I type this because Duke is 12 now. I wish we could all live forever because of the happiness they get from us and give to us.

Kfamr
07-15-2005, 09:03 PM
I know exactly how you feel, Jen.

My Simmy boy will turn 8 this Christmas. He has quite a few gray/white whiskers and fur around his muzzle. The whole tip of his tail is white/gray. :( His muzzle was pitch black when we got him. His tail was all tan.

I've been making Simba swim almost everyday. I get in with him. It's great excersize for old ailing bones and from articles i've read it helps with the pain, too.

As the many loving spoiled years he's had in the past, i'm sure he has plenty more to come, and the same with Duncan.

luvofallhorses
07-15-2005, 09:10 PM
I also know what you mean, Jen. Rocky has a gray muzzle and Jenny, too. Rocky will be 9 this November. I just wish they could live forever.

jennifert9
07-15-2005, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the responses ladies. Seeing that white whisker for the first time was like a wake-up call. Not that I don't cherish Duncan every single day...I know all of us at Pet Talk appreciate ever single minute we have with our animals...
Val, your love for Duke has impressed me and awed me always. Your close bond is so obvious in every single post you make. I almost feel sometimes as if Duke is talking to us also...You are a wonderful person for being able to share my emotions with me over my beloved's one white whisker while handling your own fear over Duke...your strength and the depth of your love for each other amaze me everytime I see you post...BTW, Duke was one handsome fella as a young'un and I think he has gotten even more so over the years....:)
Kay, you KNOW how I feel about Simba...I can't even write this without tears....that boy is an angel here and IMO, one of the best dogs to ever set feet on this Earth....I can't even think about him getting gray....You are stronger than I...How nice of you to swim with him everyday. I too have heard that swimming is good for older animals, and people too. I know what he means to you and you know what he means to me, enough said... :)
luvofallhorses, I'm sorry, I don't know your name... you too are so brave...as they get older, just hang in there and let the love flow...it takes a special person to have an animal and lose them and still love....

AdoreMyDogs
07-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Just yesterday I noticed a white whisker on Kersey, also :( I looked on her chinny chin chin and I found some white hairs sprouting. This made me very sad. My joyful, exurbent, playful, goofey Kersey girl is starting to grey :( She just turned 4 years old.

What is even harder to come to terms with is my angel boy Graham being 11 years old now :( He turned 11 in May. He's still doing excellent, but I've noticed he's actually starting to lose his hearing a bit. That breaks my heart. He was about 9-10 months old when I fell in love with him at the shelter. He's been my constant companion for over 10 years. He's seen me through some of the hardest times and he's always been the best counceler to me. He's my beloved angel.

cyber-sibes
07-15-2005, 10:45 PM
I'm dealing with an aging pet right now, too. Besides my two sibes I have a cat who is about 17. Poor guy, this has been a rough year. he's lost half his body weight, and most of the fur on one side of his body has fallen out. He's been to the vets, got tests, and his kidneys are sluggish, so we give him fluids under the skin every few days to help his kidneys flush. it breaks my heart, he's been such a wonderful part of my life for thepast 17 years! I'm just loving him every day he's here and trying to make sure he's comfortable and safe. It will feel so weird when he's gone....
Star is 8 1/2, and I see changes in her face, she aged alot last year after our Rosie was killed by a car. Till then Star still acted like a puppy. (we've had her since she was 5 weeks old) She's much slower and quieter now. I'm hoping she still has another 7 or 8 years left, God willing. I love all my furbabies sooooo much.

PJ's Mom
07-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Over the 4th of July weekend, we travelled a few hours to go to my inlaws house. We got pulled over by a state trooper on our way home and because of the road we were on, the cop came to my side (the passenger side) where I was holding Peej. He looked at him and said "He looks like he's an old guy. How old is he?"

:(

Peej will be 7 in January and to me he still looks like a puppy even though he'll be considered "old" on his next birthday. I guess, because of his color, he won't get too gray, but the hair around his muzzle is lightening a bit.

I can't imagine my life without him. He's part of my routine. I feel like I'd be lost if he weren't here to keep me on track and there's not a day that goes by when I don't ask God to give him a really good, long life.

IRescue452
07-19-2005, 10:42 AM
I know how you feel about the wakeup call. Autumn will be six in Dec. and she already has the light face mask that older retrievers so often get. She's slowed down a lot too over the past year.

Chilli
07-19-2005, 03:54 PM
I never really noticed the first grey hairs on Frisk, but now that I think about it, he's had them for at least 2 years. He's turning five around the end of october. Meaning he's had grey hairs on his chin since he was three or so. :( It seems like just yesterday we were bringing him home for christmas when he was so tiny.
And I know of how weight issues can interfere with a dogs life, and cause problems. And I take Frisk on a walk every chance I get, but its so hot lately, and he overheats easy. And I beg and beg my mum to not feed him so many pieces of "human food", but she continues to do so. And I really wish for Frisk to live as long as he can without hurting.
I know to some people, five years doesn't seem like much, but before you know it, five turns into ten, and the years have slipped through your fingers like water.
...anyway...
Sorry for taking my problems out on ya'll :rolleyes:

anna_66
07-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Yes Jennifer, I remember when I first started thinking of Angus as old (right after Keisha died). It really changes them alot to loose one of their own, just like it has with Roxey. She's changed alot since Angus passed. Much more quite even though she sure can raise a rukus sometimes;)

Look at this boy, it's hard to believe now that I still thought he looked young here (this is last year right after his stay in the hospital).
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid124/p83f21c53a4543a48a9a02977ff43d570/f8181975.jpg
They grow old too fast:(
I want to say more, but I'm tearing up....

ParNone
07-19-2005, 05:51 PM
Murph is going to be 15 in Oct. I'm pretty good at staying in denial about things though. So even though he does have some signs of aging, I can manage not to focus on them most of the time. It helps that he doesn't look 15 and he's still somewhat peppy. Now that it's summer, he can even outlast the Collies in the energy department. I have so many people that are amazed at how old he is too, which helps me along in my denial phase.

From time to time though, I do see the changes. He doesn't see and hear as good as he use to, so he startles very easily. A couple of times this last week, he was staring at the fence, barking and there was nothing there, on either side. He sticks to me like glue now, whereas he was always so independent. I've tripped over him more in the last month, then I have in his entire life.

I dunno I try not to dwell on those things and just live in the moment, but I do somewhat realize there's not a whole lot of time left for us. So I make sure everyday that I tell him, he is the "Bestest Lil' Guy" ever and I get the most excited lil' tail wag in return and I cherish the moment.

Les...

jennifert9
07-19-2005, 06:09 PM
Gosh, I wish God had made dogs like he did turtles..where they live for fifty+ years...but then instead of US worrying about THEM, they would be worrying us!! :)

Anna, that picture of Angus made me cry. Seeing his handsome face looking right at me just got me and brought me to tears. A funny thing happened though...I brought the picture up and saw him and his big red ball. I looked away for a minute to make it bigger and could SWEAR I saw him panting...I looked again when it was bigger and realized that his mouth was closed in the pic!! I think it was a sign...(I believe in that stuff:))

PJ's Mom
07-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by ParNone
I dunno I try not to dwell on those things and just live in the moment, but I do somewhat realize there's not a whole lot of time left for us. So I make sure everyday that I tell him, he is the "Bestest Lil' Guy" ever and I get the most excited lil' tail wag in return and I cherish the moment.

Awww.

I too am in denial and think I've got all the time in the world with mine. Truth is, I think my world will fall apart without them in it.

finn's mom
07-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Oh, man, this thread is tearing me up. Finn is far from being old. But, I can remember like it was yesterday when my Bruno started slowing down. It really hit him after he was attacked by that other dog. He was about ten, and, I know that shaved some time off his life. I remember, though, he and I actually got our first grey hair at the same time. ;) And, we had similar colored hair to begin with. He started getting greys in his pretty tail, then, his muzzle and around his face.....got them all over later on. But, it was just how he couldn't run like he used to, and, had a hard time with stairs....and, wouldn't be able to stand up sometimes on his own. Oh, gosh, it's killing me to think of it. He was such a huge part of me, and, still is. He really improved when I switched him to raw, it was astounding! He was able to run and play and get up on the couch with me again, his eyes and coat were bright, he smiled and laughed all the time again. But, his age crept up fast in his last year, my poor old man. That dog had a heart of solid gold and is responsible for who I am today. Everyone has a purpose on Earth, and, I will always know that he was mine.

I think most of us know how hard it is to see the aging process, it's so much slower with people....it's just a shock sometimes when you actually notice the process. We'll all be here for you to help you through this time with Duncan, hopefully for a long time to come!

ParNone
07-19-2005, 06:48 PM
PJ's mom writes:

I too am in denial and think I've got all the time in the world with mine. Truth is, I think my world will fall apart without them in it.
Yeh, I'm not so good at denial after the fact. I had never cried so much in my life, as I did when Maddie died. Even in front of people, which is not like me at all. A year and half later and I still think about her everyday. As depressing as it is though, I am of the view that it's better to think and talk about her, then keep it all bottled up.

Les...

dukedogsmom
07-19-2005, 07:52 PM
You all have me in tears because it hits so close to home. When it's Duke's time to leave this earth, my soul will be ripped apart. I try not to think about it and hope I have at least two more years with him. If not, I do cherish every day we have together.

PJ's Mom
07-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Awww, Val. :(

One way or another, your boy will always be with you. :) It's obvious how much you two love each other. I can only hope everyone can see how much I love my dogs the way we all know how much you love Duke. :)