PDA

View Full Version : Jumping

Mayalen
02-06-2001, 08:11 PM
Our dog Mitsy misses us so much when we come home from work she always has to jump up on us to say "HI" it drives us crazy!! We went through a training course with her recently, and it taught her to sit and lay but not "Don't jump"!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Pam
02-06-2001, 08:15 PM
It's been a few years since I took my dogs to obedience school (they are at the Rainbow Bridge now), but we were taught to bend our leg so that the knee would stick out when the dog jumped, at the same time saying "no" or "no jumping"......can't remember the exact command. Maybe someone else out there can give you more up-to-date methods. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Boingercat
02-27-2001, 06:03 PM
We have the same problem with our dog. We also went through training, but still have the jumping/ nipping problem. I have found that if I have treats ready, and then approach her, showing her the treats, she will sit for the treat, allowing me to pet her and talk to her without her jumping. Our trainer also suggested that when we first come home, completely ignore her (our dog is baby-gated into a separate room when we're not home) until she is calm. Then praise her and reward her and pay attention to her. This seems to work pretty well too. Our trainer told us NEVER knee a dog in the chest; it can seriously injure them and doesn't teach them "better" behaviors.

Angels3
02-28-2001, 06:37 PM
We had the same problem with our dog going bananas & shrieking & jumping when we returned home. An animal behaviourist gave us similar advice to what Boingercat has said. We were to completely ignore our dog for 15 minutes BEFORE we left the house and 15 minutes AFTER we returned. When she jumped up & shrieked we had to turn our backs & have no eye contact with her. Then later when she was calm & at a distance, we had to give the commands Come & Sit. Then she would get a pat & praise. After doing this consistently for some time, the problem was solved.
Be prepared when you first start doing this, that the dog MIGHT get more frantic & demanding. When you're trying to extinguish a behaviour like this, it sometimes gets worse for a while as the dog fights against the NO reinforcement...it wants SOME response from you. If this happens, just hang in there with the ignoring until the dog has calmed down & is no longer demanding...then command, pat & praise. As Boingercat said, too, it will work.