PDA

View Full Version : Trying to stretch a paycheck...

moosmom
07-15-2005, 03:40 PM
I got paid today. I was so excited because I figured I could pay my bills.

By the time I got finished (I was able to pay my cellphone bill, car payment and PART of my rent, not to mention gas in my car), I have exactly $50 to my name until next payday which isn't until July 31st. I can't even THINK about buying food OR my car insurance. This sucks!!

I am SO depressed right now. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to get a part-time job in order to survive without losing sleep over how I'm going to make ends meet.

If I had known that 4 days on and 4 days off didn't mean 10 hour days, I would've said something.

Now I know what they mean (whoever wrote the song) when they say TOO MUCH MONTH AT THE END OF MY MONEY!!!

*sigh* :(

Logan
07-15-2005, 03:45 PM
I swear, I think financial hardship causes the most stress in people and marriages. Donna, I really thought things had worked out better for you, recently. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. I have been there and done that.......we still have our moments, but things are better recently. I often think I need a 2nd job just to keep the pets maintained. (have spent over $350 on vet bills in the last week and a half), and that isn't counting food for them.

I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work, but I'll be praying for you in the interim.

Logan

furrykidsmother
07-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Now I know what they mean (whoever wrote the song) when they say TOO MUCH MONTH AT THE END OF MY MONEY!!!

*sigh* :( [/B][/QUOTE]

It is very sad, but very true!! I am sorry that you are having such a difficult time. 4 day weeks are great if they add up to 40 hours, but if they don't it really is lousy! They should have made that clear to you prior to you accepting. I sure hope things get better for you.

caseysmom
07-15-2005, 03:51 PM
I swear everthing is so expensive...I make decent money but after we pay our house payment, utilities, food, it just goes....

beeniesmom
07-15-2005, 04:15 PM
I swear everthing is so expensive...I make decent money but after we pay our house payment, utilities, food, it just goes....

ditto... and we don't even have children yet.

caseysmom
07-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Yeah, kids...my daughters diving is $350 a month, she is 12 and taking zoology at the local state university for 3 weeks, thats $400... My other daughter just got her hair highlighted, that was $100...I color my hair myself for 8 bucks...

Of course bubba has to go every 6-8 weeks for $35...talk about a high maintenance family! I swear our food bill is $1000 a month, my kids have friends over all the time...I want it that way under my roof so I just deal with it.

beeniesmom
07-15-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by caseysmom
I want it that way under my roof so I just deal with it.

Yes, it is better that way... at least you know what they are doing.

caseysmom
07-15-2005, 04:38 PM
Exactly!

moosmom
07-15-2005, 05:47 PM
I'm VERY lucky that my cats are healthy. I'd be in bigger trouble than I am now if one of them got sick.

I ended up working on my 4 days off, covering at night during visitations to help boost my paycheck. Big boost! NOT!!

If they were 10 hour days I'd be okay. But they're not. :( Another bad thing is I only get paid twice a month! Talk about living from paycheck to paycheck!

DJFyrewolf36
07-15-2005, 06:05 PM
My check is already spent before I get it...

When I first got the job I have now, I had to wait almost a month for my first check. I get paid twice a month too...but I work full time so it helps a little. To make ends meet though I live with three other people besides my husband in a two bedroom apartment. I'm glad I LIKE the people I live with lol!

My car is whats eating up most of my money right now. Crud, I need it to get TO work and it seems Im working just so I can keep it running to get to work...talk about a paradox.

lizbud
07-15-2005, 06:08 PM
I can't believe they didn't make everything clear to you before
you took the job. Do you at least get the benefits they promised?

Sounds like you'll have to make a whole different budget plan.:(
Maybe a part time job to supplement funds till a real budget is
worked out. Best of luck with this Donna.

Karen
07-15-2005, 06:10 PM
Well, Donna, if you need to get a part-time job, maybe make it either someplace fun, as it doesn't have to be a career move, just a part-time thing, or get a job somewhere where you shop, so you get an employee discount!

GraciesMommy
07-15-2005, 06:41 PM
I understand totally!
I make good $ by the hour BUT I only work 9 months out of the year..since I work for the school..which means my check is divided out by 12 months..so when I get my once a month check it stinks!...and that is district policy..but the perks of being off all summer and holidays keep me there..with all my family 500 miles away I need the summer off and Spring Break, holidays...those are the times I go visit..or they come visit here..

jennifert9
07-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Donna, I'm sorry you are going through this...Money is so stressful, I worry about it almost constantly and it's such a huge drag...:( I have been there myself before what is that saying, begging Peter to pay Paul or something like that? LOL, I can't remember exactly...!
I remember one time going on what I "thought" was a date with this guy. I almost didn't go because I only had about $10 in cash on me and less than $20 in the bank for the next week or so but I went thinking that he would pay for everything...(we were going to a football game that he had season tickets for with his friends.) BUT our first stop was the ATM and he was like, "don't you need to get some money out?" Well, I couldn't even take any out because I didn't have $20 in there which is the minimum the ATM would allow!! So I just pretended and then didn't eat or drink the whole time I was there! Obviously, I never went out with THAT guy again!!! ;)

Anyway Donna, I worked 2 jobs for 10 years!! And even then I was just making it every month. My wonderful wonderful mother (God, Bless her heart!) would show up at my tiny studio apt. with groceries like tuna fish and spaghetti and ramen noodles so I could eat at home. And trust me, she has supported my sister and her 4 kids for years so she was living on the edge too.
It takes a toll on you that is for sure. ANYHOW!! I didn't post just to share your misery...let me tell you what I did finally...I got a job at a restaurant. I started as a hostess but it was a tipped position so that every day I left there with cash, even if sometimes it was only $5 - $10 bucks if I worked the lunch shift. But that money paid for food and gas and kept me going until the next paycheck. I know Applebee's tips their hostesses this way plus you get the minimum per hour in a paycheck every week. I don't know what other restaurants do it but it might be something you can check into. The cash is reassuring to have, especially I know for gas in your car and some cheap food when you are hungry....And the work is much easier to do than waitressing actually. Just an idea...Hang in there. Maybe keep looking for a new job online every chance you get...It's good to keep your feelers out anyway, the perfect job way be coming your way any day...
Sorry for the long post but I sincerely feel for you and understand and have been there myself (and still am! Who am I kidding?)

jennifert9
07-15-2005, 07:11 PM
I was just thinking too...are there any opportunites for you to make money online? Not one of those "get-rich-quick" type things but a legit job? I know, since I have been looking for a job that I have seen some ads for people to do data processing and internet type searches at home for real companies for real money. My computer is older than Earth itself so I can't do anything like that but if you have decent computer, maybe that is an option?
Or there is always E-bay!! Seriously! I know a girl that sells anything and everything on there and she makes quite a killing overall. I just gave 17 boxes of stuff to the Salvation Army that she "scolded" me for saying I could have made a couple hundred bucks on...Not that I would have even if this computer could FIND E-Bay but....just one more idea honey...
I know the stress and I hate it and I hate to see others going through it....:)

moosmom
07-15-2005, 07:19 PM
I know that a part-time job is the way to go. I appreciate everyone's support and allowing me to vent.

Fortunately, there is a shopping center opening up soon and it's got BB&B and JoAnn's and both are hiring. On my next day off I'll go apply.

The good thing is because my schedule at the funeral home is so regular, I'll be able to set up a schedule to work part-time on my days offl. I've worked two jobs for years also.

Gracie's Mom,

My best friend is a special education teacher and also has summers off. I can understand how difficult it can be to budget your money when you don't get a paycheck for 2-3 months out of the year. But having the summers off can also be great!!!

You guys are the best!!

caseysmom
07-15-2005, 07:48 PM
I was thinking you could do something on the side like run errands for elderly people or something, that way you can do it at your convenience.

BitsyNaceyDog
07-15-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by caseysmom
I was thinking you could do something on the side like run errands for elderly people or something, that way you can do it at your convenience.

That's a great idea. My friend takes care of her mom who is 89. She occasionally needs a break and once a week a lady comes and takes her mom out for a few hours. She pays good money to the lady too, $30/hour I think. She will take her out to lunch or the movies or just to the lakefront to sit for awhile. My friend pays for the lunch, or movie, or for whatever they do in addition to paying the lady her hourly wage. Not bad for a little extra cash.

Good luck

smokey the elder
07-16-2005, 08:38 AM
How about pet sitting, where you go to the person's house? I was considering doing that if my company hadn't made me full time.

Good luck and {hugs.}

moosmom
07-16-2005, 09:24 AM
I think the state of Michigan requires pet sitters to be bonded and insured. Believe me, I thought of that. It would be a waste for me to do that if I have to spend money on insurance and bonding.