PDA

View Full Version : Something's wrong with Depot

IRescue452
07-14-2005, 11:43 PM
My turn to have problems with my goldfish. I got home from work at 11 and looked in on my fish since they got a tank cleaning before I left. Depot has slightly raised scales like the beginnings of dropsy. She hasn't laid eggs in a long time so maybe it could be retained eggs (in a goldfish?) but just to be on the safe side I want to give her a half dose of antibiotic a least. Has anybody ever treated dropsy before? How does a fish who's lived on her own and never shared so much as a piece of gravel with another fish get it?! Some website said it could be caused by cancer in the fish. I hope thats not the problem because I could see cancer being the reason since she never grew like a normal goldfish

PJ's Mom
07-14-2005, 11:58 PM
Dropsy, when caught very early can be treated. If you're already seeing signs of bloat and raised scales, the prognosis isn't very good. I've never heard of cancer causing dropsy. :confused:

This may sound like a silly question, but have you seen the usual amount of fish poo?

King Spartacus
07-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Oh no... as you probably figured, I'd be of no help at all (look at my helpless hysterics about my own little pals!), but good luck! I hope Depot is only constipated... and that she'll be back to normal in no time at all!

Best wishes, Sylvie, KS' mom

IRescue452
07-15-2005, 01:01 PM
I think it might be retained eggs, she passed one this morning. Oh how easily I freak out. I haven't given her anything yet. I'm thinking the probem is in the eggs. I guess a round belly stuffed with eggs could slightly raise the scales.

PJ's Mom
07-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Being egg bound doesn't sound like too much fun. :eek: I hope she makes a speedy recovery. :)

IRescue452
07-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks. I hope so too. On a lighter note my male betta was exhausted at the bottom of his tank today because he's making the biggest bubble nest he can to impress his girlfriend.