PDA

View Full Version : Mice

wolfsoul
07-14-2005, 09:58 PM
My mother just told me that she found Caleb this morning carrying a dead mouse. Unfortunatly she was in a big hurry -- her ride was beeping and she was late for work -- she had no time to catch him to take it away from him. I'm suprised he actually killed it...he has been raised with rats.

So, a few questions -- All of the cats I've had have caught a mouse at some point -- not a single one has eaten it, just killed it. But I can't find the mouse. Is it likely that he ate the whole thing? And, where should I look in my house for more mice? I'm assuming that there's more where that one came from. Are there any particular places mice like to live?

I can't think of where it could have come from. We never leave the door open, and even if it was open, the basement door is always shut. The only window in the house that is ever open is my window -- but my door is always shut so it couldn't have come from my room. I'm sure a mouse would never enter my room anyways, seeing as my rats are in there and mice stay away from the scent of rats. I don't think we have any holes in the walls. Maybe we've had mice for over a year and never noticed. :eek: Where can I buy a humane trap for fairly inexpensive? I'll probably just end up trapping Caleb LOL.

I don't know why my mom bothered telling me about this...She knows I'll probably keep whatever I catch. :p Thanks in advance for all advice.

Vette
07-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Its possible that he ate the whole thing.. but usually they dont eat the tail. and sometimes they leave the feet/paws

at least thats what Cheetoo does when she catches stuff.

CagneyDog
07-14-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
but my door is always shut so it couldn't have come from my room..

It probably could still go under the door. I remember when we had mice in our house they would squeeze under the tiny crack beneath the door to get in rooms.

Check in attics, and closets. Have you seen any mouse poop around? haha

You could try a humane trap but I bet there is more than one mouse in your house :p

wolfsoul
07-15-2005, 12:05 AM
There is no crack under my door lol. :p It's one of those ones that goes way down to the floor. Some of the other doors in the house do have a pretty big crack though. I'll check those rooms. I'm pretty sure it may have come from the spare room. It's never open, but I opened it just the other day and left it open for hours. I don't know how mice could live in there though-- there's no food. I can't find mice droppings anywhere. I'll have to check the closets. They are pretty messy though lol.

CagneyDog
07-15-2005, 01:17 AM
Look in the closets for nests. Every mouse nest we found was in our closets. They use material in the closet to make it.

Whatever you do, please, don't use the mouse sticky tape stuff. So many people use it, but its so cruel. The mice get their feet stuck to the tape, so after hours and hours of suffering they finally pass on :(

Samantha Puppy
07-15-2005, 07:46 AM
My four cats have never caught a mouse but my parents cat has. He eats EVERYTHING except for a little bright (almost flourescent) green organ.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-15-2005, 08:36 AM
I bet there is more than one mouse in your house

Look at is as loads more pets!

wolfsoul
07-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Thanks for your replies. :)

I looked aroudn this morning and did find some mouse poop. I can't believe I never noticed it before (shows how messy I am lol). My mom is going to be down here cleaning everything today. I'm worried that she'll fid a mouse and kill it. :(

MariaM
07-15-2005, 11:43 AM
-Sigh-

Once when Major and I were walking in a field, he found a dead mouse. He loved it. He was playing with it, flinging it up in the air, happy as could be, and catching it. I'm pretty sure it was already dead when he found it. Anyway, anytime I got close to him he'd run away, so I knew there was no chance of me getting it from him. I'm not sure what happened as one minute it was in his mouth, and the next he was running around again. I don't think he had time to eat it without me noticing..but I don't think he would have just dropped it. Who knows?

Anyway, I'm not really sure what to do about your problem. We've never had mice in our house, that I know of anyway!

moosmom
07-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Put a humane trap near where you found the "droppings". Mice can live anywhere. They come out at night and travel along the floor boards. I had a mouse problem one time. They were living in the walls of my bathroom, under my stove. I also had ant traps around my apartment. One night I heard this weird noise, like something rolling across my hardwood floors. I got up with a flashlight. I caught one of the mice playing with my ant traps!!!

kittycats_delight
07-16-2005, 02:55 PM
mice can chew through almost anything remember that and the only need the tiniest of holes to get it. You basement is probably where the mice are coming in through. And they will travel through walls or floor, ceiling wherever. Calab may very well have eaten the mouse. My grandmother had a cat that would eat them. My two girls haven't caught a mouse but my RB Mytsi was an avid mouser. She loved to caught and torture them to death but once they were dead she lost interest. Then we had to make sure we got it before RB Shadow, our akita did. He loved them. He would also hunt them and kill and eat them.

Toby's my baby
07-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Good luck on finding the mice. I hope your mom doesnt kill it, if she finds one!

It is very possible that Caleb ate the whole mouse. Our three cats love to be outside, and they catch mice all the time, and eat the whole thing.