PDA

View Full Version : My first foster. :(

PJ's Mom
07-14-2005, 04:36 PM
I got a call from the lady who's trying to find us a foster pup. A 7 month old lab/spaniel mix puppy was in need of a home because her current foster mom is going on the road doing dog shows.

We met this dog at the adoption thingy last weekend, and I've never seen a more hyper dog in my life. :eek: The dog barked almost constantly and played for two straight hours without getting tired.

Because this would've been my first time fostering, and because this dog would be such a handful, I turned her down. I thought that for my first time I should get a dog a little better suited to be around Peej and Bailey and the cats.

The lady was very understanding and nice about it, but I can't help but think that I blew it. :( Should I have taken the little dog even if I thought it wouldn't work? What if the coordinator of this rescue never calls back because she thinks we're undependable?

Have you ever had to turn a foster away?

Kfamr
07-14-2005, 04:41 PM
I think since this was going to be your first foster you did the right thing. The lady should think the same if she knows anything about animals. She should be exceptionally happy that you're keeping your own animals in mind because that shows you ARE a dependable and responsible person.

Have a more calm dog would be a lot less hard on your animals until they get used to having guests often. You've got to go with your gut instinct and do what's best for you and your animals.

BitsyNaceyDog
07-14-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm sure she respects your need to put your pets first. That's very important and I'm sure she understands that. I'm sure they appreciate anyone willing to foster. I don't think you blew it.

Jadapit
07-14-2005, 05:03 PM
I agree with everything Kay said!! You did the right thing. I'm sure the lady totally understands where you are coming from. You did NOT blow it. You will have a foster dog before you know it.:D

jenluckenbach
07-14-2005, 05:12 PM
You did RIGHT! Taking that dog into your home would have been like me taking a cat that hated being around other cats. The dog you foster be suitable to live with and fit into your family. as you do not know how long it will be with you.
It might take some time to find you your first foster. I started to wonder if they even WANTED me when I offered to foster. But believe me, they DO want and need you. Hang in there for a better fit.

Muddy4paws
07-14-2005, 05:47 PM
I think you did the right thing and that lady would of thought you were sensible enough to be honest about the dog instead of taking it just for the good impression, There will be more dogs that are more suitable, Im sure she understand that you have to think about your pets and lifestyle and you need to find one that can fit around you and being honest with her will avoid the dog being dragged from home to home so I think you did the right thing!

p.s

Can we have some more bailey and Peej photos please :p

Ginger's Mom
07-14-2005, 05:55 PM
I agree, you did the right thing. You do not want your first foster experience to be so stressful that you don't want to do it again. I am sure the coordinator understands that, and I am guessing that is one of the reasons why she had you meet the pup first. It was very smart on both of your parts. I know that she will call you back, because I am sure that your articulated your reasons very well, and indicated that you are in fact still interested in fostering a different dog. And she knows that good, responsible homes like yours are exactly what she needs. Believe me you will have one soon enough. :)

Lobodeb
07-14-2005, 06:16 PM
I agree with everyone else, but thought I would add 2 more cents. ;)

If for whatever crazy reason, this place doesn't call you back to foster, then I hope they realize what a terrible loss they've just suffered because we all know that there are far too many homeless animals out there.

Good luck!

DJFyrewolf36
07-14-2005, 06:28 PM
I think it is better to realize now, before you take in a foster, what will work with your pets and what wont. It looks a lot worse to take a foster in and then take it right back to the shelter because of incompatablilty issues. I admire your maturity in keeping your pets first and foremost in your thoughts.

Don't worry, a foster will most assuredly come your way as there are lots of pups in need of homes!

lizbud
07-14-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Ginger's Mom
I agree, you did the right thing. You do not want your first foster experience to be so stressful that you don't want to do it again. I am sure the coordinator understands that, and I am guessing that is one of the reasons why she had you meet the pup first. It was very smart on both of your parts. I know that she will call you back, because I am sure that your articulated your reasons very well, and indicated that you are in fact still interested in fostering a different dog. And she knows that good, responsible homes like yours are exactly what she needs. Believe me you will have one soon enough. :)

I agree.:) As a first time fosterer, I hope they are able to match
up up with a better fit for you & your family situation.Good luck.:)

Logan
07-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Dawn, you did the right thing. Don't even give it a second thought (although I know you care so much and you will worry). I have had to have some pretty major restrictions in the last couple of years when I fostered due to the fact that we have Murphy who is so old and can't handle the exuberance of a young dog, plus the fact that there are two cats in this house, one of them quite old. It took a special, older dog for me to be able to foster. Unfortunately/fortunately, I fell in love with the last one and he has lived here for almost two years! My Zipper!!!! LOL!!!!! Now there is no room to foster anyone!!!! :p I try to help them out in other ways, though.

Logan

NoahsMommy
07-14-2005, 08:05 PM
Your first loyalty is to your current resident animals...if it wouldn't work with them, then it was the best decision.

Don't feel bad. Another will come along.

(((Hugs)))

anna_66
07-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Dawn I'm going to echo what's already been said, but I do think you did the right thing.
You can't bring a foster into the house that is going to make your or your other animals life stressful.

If they don't call you back, they've really lost a wonderful person!

jazzcat
07-14-2005, 11:48 PM
I'm agreeing with the rest, you did the right thing. I can't imagine it would make them feel any way but that you are taking this very seriously and want to do the best thing for all involved. I'm sure they will call you again.

I think it's great that you are going to foster!!! :)

cali
07-15-2005, 12:24 AM
I agree, you are used to having calmer dogs, I think it shows that you are very reasonable, being able to know what you and your dogs can handle. I am sure their are other foster homes more equipped to having such an energetic dog around :)

jesse_3
07-15-2005, 03:32 AM
I am sure that they will call you back. It really was not fair of them to just hand you this little puppy! Don't worry, it'll be okay:)

Steph and Jes

lv4dogs
07-15-2005, 09:09 AM
Woo Hoo a big kudos to you for even considering fostering a dog!

What you did was the right thing to do. You have to make sure you look at the best interest of the animals, of course your's come first. But I'm sure if your animals won't do good in a situation like that the negative energy would pass down to the foster dog as well, making it hard for him too. She should understand this & should give you a second chance. She should see that you are responsible. If not then I would move on & try it with another organization. Even if it was not your first foster you still have to take into consideration that all animals involved will be as safe & happy as possible. You did the right thing.

I'm not sure what you have already done to prepare yourself for fostering or how deep you want to get into it. But I thought I'd share some suggestions.
Ask a local reputable trainer & behavorist if they can donate some time (or for a small fee since what you are doing is for a good cause which is also all volunteered) to go over some basic care on how to prepare for foster dogs with any type of temperment. Also see if you can call them if a question/problem arrises. Maybe even sit in on a few classes. This will help you prepare for any dog with any type of temperment.
If you are hoping to someday be able to take in any foster dog (even hyper ones like you described) the above sugestions would help tremendously.

A crate is a necessity for just about any foster dog as you do not know their behavior or temperment. Have a few places available throughout your house where you can put the crate. Depending on how the dog reacts to your dogs (or vice-versa) or the temperment of the dog, you may need or want to keep the crate elsewhere. Also keeo a blanket near by. For example if you get a skittish dog it is best to start the dog out in a quiet calm area like a soare room. If you have a dog that barks a lot sometimes covering the crate with a balnket so they can't see ot will quiet them down. If you have a friendly happy go lucky dog that you want around the family but needs to be crated for some reason or another you may want to keep him in the living room or kitchen where all the action & family is.

Toys, especially kongs to keep the dog occupied. At first try to avoid toys that resemble any articles found in the home (old socks, rope toys, they resemble the cheap throw rugs a bit, plastic bottles etc...). Those objects only confuse a dog, they don't know the difference between an old sock or a new one. Also avoid rawhides since a dog has to chew chew chew to make it edible & yummy it only teaches a dog to chew. They think if they chew anything long enough it will become yummy just like the rawhide.

Always make sure the foster dog comes with all his medical history that is available, if you can not properly quarantine a dog that may have an illness you should not accept one.

ALWAYS make sure you can return the dog to the organization should ANYTHING arrise that makes it unsafe or very difficult to keep the dog in your home.

Here's a forum & page with some info that may help, its from a boxer board but it's all about fostering:
http://boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18578
http://www.adoptaboxerrescue.com/bringing_your_foster_dog_home.htm

I wish you the best of luck & hope that your foster dog is available soon!

PJ's Mom
07-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Wow, thanks for all the info. :) It' will certainly be helpful!

Thanks for this, you guys. I was expecting to be given a foster who needed me and if I didn't take her, I would be letting her and the whole rescue down. I see now that it doesn't work like that. ;) I keep hoping the phone will ring because the perfect dog has been found, but not yet. I have to be patient.

I'm really hoping I'll get an older dog. They need so much love and they've given so much, it would be nice to have one.

Thanks again. :)

Pawsitive Thinking
07-15-2005, 09:56 AM
I agree with all the above. I think you have shown that the welfare of all the animals involved is a top priority which is why you are going to be an ace foster-mum!

cyber-sibes
07-15-2005, 10:16 AM
Bless you for opening your home to a dog in need! I think you did the right thing too, by waiting until a compatible dog comes along.