PDA

View Full Version : I got fired. :(

NoahsMommy
07-14-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm totally devistated right now. I don't, in any way, blame my boss, who the heck wants an employee that is sick all the time? I sure wouldn't!

I was out sick yesturday because I ate something at lunch that made me ill for about 24 hours. I couldn't have helped it, other than not eating it...had I known, I surely wouldn't have eaten it! :( I was miserable...but now its even worse.

My boss was totally upset at having to do this, but who could blame her?? I can't.

She said that once my surgery is over and I'm better, she wants me to work for her, but I doubt it'll be my position of Office Manager. She'll hire that person ASAP. :(

The only good thing is I just got a call from my surgeon's office and they moved the surgery up. It'll be July 26th. So I'll be able to heal and figure things out sooner.

Ugh...I'm so upset. I mean, I have no one to be upset at. I can't be mad at her, she needs to think of her company. I can't be mad at me, I can't controll this horrid disease. But its getting to me. Its taken away so much of my life and I've fought like hell to stay positive.

God, I need prayers, guys.

King Spartacus
07-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Oh no!!! Oh I'm ever so sorry... that truly is terrible news! And I'm sorry... but i would be angry at my boss if she did that! If I was sleeping in, not showing up due to hangovers, etc, I'd understand it... but not when you're ill! She should just have given you a break, and gotten a temp in to do your job until you get better (she does know you're going in for surgery, doesn't she?)...

Good luck with the surgery on the 26th, and good luck with the job situation!

Hugs from Sylvie, KS' mom

caseysmom
07-14-2005, 01:52 PM
I am so so sorry. I hope your surgery makes you well.

Palomino21
07-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Wow that sure bites. Did you like that job? If not this could be a blessing in disguise.

luvofallhorses
07-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Oh, Kelly I am so sorry :( If you need to talk I am here. (((hugs)))

furrykidsmother
07-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Kelly I am so sorry! I like to believe, although it is hard sometimes, that things happen for a reason. Maybe once you have had your surgery and begin your "new" life, maybe a new beginning at a new job will be just what you need. Glad that they moved your surgery up. The sooner it is done the sooner you will feel better. Best wishes and prayers to you.

Kfamr
07-14-2005, 02:05 PM
Big {{{HUGS}}} to you Kelly. I'm very sorry you've lost your job but i'm glad you're not taking it out on yourself or your boss. I hope that once your surgery is through with that your life becomes stable. I've been thinking about you, although not posting much, you've been on my mind. If you need anyone to talk to, my PM box or AIM is open to you (frailwit is my newest screenname) as you've always been there when I needed to chat.

Well wishes to you sweetheart, I wish you the best.

More {{{HUGS}}},
Kay

popcornbird
07-14-2005, 02:10 PM
Oh Kelly. :( I'm so sorry to hear of this. :( I'll be praying that things work out for you. Gosh...I can't imagine how difficult this is. {{{hugs}}} to you during this difficult time. Hopefully everything will turn out for the best.

robinh
07-14-2005, 02:14 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. You've worked so hard. Difficult though it may seem, try to look on the bright side. Without the job to worry about, you can concentrate on getting well and staying that way. The stress of trying to go to work every day may have worn on your system and make you even sicker.

You have all my prayers for a full and speedy recovery.

NoahsMommy
07-14-2005, 02:24 PM
Thank you all, so much.

I just got off the phone with Tonya, Slick and Gini.

You are all amazing, I can't thank you enough for your support and faith in me. Thank you.

catlover4ever
07-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Oh Kelly I'm so sorry. I can't imagine what you are going through. My thoughts and prayers to you that you will have a safe surgery, a speedy recovery, and that everything will work out for you.

I firmly beleive that God has a plan for us and that all things happen for a reason. We may not see the reason right away...it may take us months or sometimes years to know what that reason was but keep your chin up and keep a positive attitude.

((((HUGS)))) Meg

Ally Cat's Mommy
07-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Kelly, I am so sorry you got such bad news, but at least you still have a job with her after your surgery (and it's always MUCH easier to look for another job whilst you are still employed).

Just concentrate on your surgery and recovery afterwards - these things usually happen for a reason - just try to remain positive - there will be a MUCH BETTER opportunity for you just around the corner!!

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers

(((HUGS)))

Julie

aly
07-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Kelly,

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Now you can have your surgery and have time to recover without the stress of work on your mind.

I have 100% faith that even bad things happen for a reason. And most of the time, when you look back on them, you will realize it wasn't as bad as you thought, and maybe even a good thing.

You're a strong person. You're going to recover quickly from your surgery and get started on a new job feeling HEALTHY! Won't that be great!!!

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I'm here if you need me.

petslover
07-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Hey Kelly. I am so sorry that you lost your job. I will put you in my prayers that the surgery go good and make you feel alot better. If you ever need to talk just IM me anytime. Take care and God Bless! You are a great person!

ramanth
07-14-2005, 02:48 PM
Oh Kelly, I am soooo sorry. :( :( Many positive thoughts for a successful surgery.

*HUGS*

crsvstang
07-14-2005, 02:50 PM
Kelly, I am so sorry!

I hope that surgery will help you feel better!

DJFyrewolf36
07-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Don't be sad...like others have said now you can concintrate on your recovery. Perhaps starting over is what you need! I know when I got fired *for being ill* I was devistated but now I realize that 1 the job I had really really really was bad for me and 2 I have a MUCH better job now with more opportunity for advancement and such.

God has a plan! I know its hard to see right now but He never closes a door without opening a window first :)

PM me anytime if you want to chat

I do have to ask though, is this the boss that got irritated at you for being out ill and called in sick the next day? THAT would really upset me.

Jadapit
07-14-2005, 03:01 PM
When it rains it pours.:( I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. I agree with the others, it might be the best thing so you can totally work on getting well after your surgery. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

abbersmom
07-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Hi Kelly...
I'm so sorry to hear you lost your job, I haven't been here long, soi don't know your health problems...but I hope your surgery takes care of it!!
I DO kbow abour losing a job, tho...Last year I lost a job that i had been at for 28 years...I was so devistated when it happened...and to top it off, my Mom had a major stroke during that time... Yes, things DO happen for a reason!! They really do! I had 4 months off to help care for her (she's at a plateau now & will never get better, but she is able to get around with a walker, she can talk & she can enjoy life...which is a far cry from what the doctors predicted) There came a point where I knew it was time to return to the work force, my severance pay ran out, & I really didn't want to do the unemployment thin (but I did end up on it for 12 days, tho I would have been eligible for 9 months).
OK to make it short...My new job is wonderful, my new boss sought me out, I did not have to go job hunting...and above all, compared to my former job, I feel like I actually have a life!
Whether you eventually go back to your old job or you find a new one, keep your chin up...things will work out for you!!
Sue

Karen
07-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Well, now you don't have to worry so much about missing work when you're not feeling well. Do you get any kind of severence pay, or anything so you won't have to worry so much, or would you qualify for disability until the surgery? Maybe those felines can get part-time jobs and support YOU for a while ;) !

Now, though, as others have said, you can concentrate on the surgery - glad it is sooner rather than later - and then on getting better, and THEN on finding a fabulous job for the fabulous new you! :)

PJ's Mom
07-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Kelly, while I may not know you well, I do you know that you're an amazingly strong person with one of the most positive attitudes I have ever seen. I have no doubt that you will get through this and your surgery with flying colors . I know I couldn't have gone through everything you have in the last few months and been as positive, friendly and caring as you have been.

Hang in there. It will get better. :)

kuhio98
07-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Kelly ~ I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm sure your boss didn't want to do it because you are such a great employee. I pray that after the surgery, your health problems will be all behind you. (No, that wasn't a pun). Will there be any insurance snafu's now that you're not working there? Will she give you a good recommendation explaining the circumstances? I'm sure that with a good recommendation and a letter from your doctor (after the surgery), you won't have any problem finding something. How can I help? Know that you can call on me anytime.

Lisa

Ginger's Mom
07-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Kelly, I am so sorry to hear this. I hope this won't effect any insurance coverage for the surgery or after care. Use the time to take care of yourself and your recovery. I will definitely include you in my prayers. I hope once the surgery is over you will find a great new, healthy life.

CagneyDog
07-14-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm so sorry Kelly :(

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Even though it may not seem like it, there may be some good out of this.

I hope the surgery is a success and things will start to pick up.

{{{Lots of hugs}}}}

Catsnclay
07-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Um, Kelly? Did you know that it is illegal for a boss to fire an employee because of health issues? Yes, it is. She should have put you on either long term or short term disability, but if you persue it, and I would, she and te company can be in a boat-load of trouble.

I know your a nice person and you probably don't want to rock any boats, but if I were you I would call the local disability/Social Security office in your area for more information.

WHY do you have to suffer even more!! Now your going to be stressed because you have no income. Please, at least call to find out what your rights are. No one should have to lose their job because they are ill!!!!!

And, BTW I know your upcoming surgery will go well for you. Good luck!!

carole
07-14-2005, 04:15 PM
Kelly my heart goes out to you, seriously if it was the one thing in life I could wish for is to have perfect health, I know what it is like to not be well a lot of the time, however i am lucky I do not have to be in the work force as you do, I empathise with you so much, one cannot help being ill, you are such a strong, caring, sensitive person,I hope this will not stop you from fulfilling your dreams, maybe as others have said it has happened for a reason, I can only hope there is something better around the corner for you.

Take this opportunity if you can call it that, to reflect on things and to rest up well for your up-coming surgery, I wish you well and hugs to you , I sure hope things work out for the better, take care sweetie, YOU deserve only the best life can offer you.:)

wolflady
07-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about this. As soon as I saw your email come in, I was shocked! I know I've said this before, but I admire you so much! You are such a strong and positive person, and it really motivates me to be a better person too, and to stay positive no matter what. :)

I'm glad that the surgery has been moved up! That means you will be on the road to recovery (and to feeling better) sooner, which also means you can start your new pain-free life sooner! :D Yay!
See you tomorrow! :D

Lots of love and **hugs**
Karen

cyber-sibes
07-14-2005, 04:38 PM
((((HUGS)))) A definite bummer to deal with just as you are facing surgery. Hopefully you will feel MUCH MUCH better after your surgery -- just deal with this one day at a time so you don't project and drive yourself crazy (speaking from experience here). Last year I had to step down from being a supervisor to a sales clerk, but you know what? I'm much happier, and I didn't even realize how much stress the other job was putting me through! God has a plan. Prayers coming your way--

neko1
07-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Oh no! I'm really sorry to hear this news, Kelly. But I do agree with everyone else's statements. Something good will come out of this!
I am here for you as well, PM or call me if you ever want to talk, ok.
Go hug your kitties a little extra tonight..

(((HUGS)))
-Michelle

dukedogsmom
07-14-2005, 05:10 PM
I am so sorry. I think your boss was in the wrong. Nothing like kicking you when you're down. And what about health insurance? I hope your surgery goes well and you can hopefully have a normal life, once more. I don't know what to say other than we're here when you need us. Do you know if you could pursue a civil suit with this? I didn't think companies were allowed to fire you like that when you're sick.

jazzcat
07-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Kelly I'm so sorry.

Do try to look at it like the others have said, it will give you time to recoop and you just need to concentrate on that.

(((HUGS)))

jenluckenbach
07-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by aly

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Now you can have your surgery and have time to recover without the stress of work on your mind.

I have 100% faith that even bad things happen for a reason. And most of the time, when you look back on them, you will realize it wasn't as bad as you thought, and maybe even a good thing.

I agree with this 100%! (and I would have said it if I posted first).

Originally posted by Catsnclay
Um, Kelly? Did you know that it is illegal for a boss to fire an employee because of health issues? Yes, it is. She should have put you on either long term or short term disability, but if you persue it, and I would, she and te company can be in a boat-load of trouble.

I know your a nice person and you probably don't want to rock any boats, but if I were you I would call the local disability/Social Security office in your area for more information.

WHY do you have to suffer even more!! Now your going to be stressed because you have no income. Please, at least call to find out what your rights are. No one should have to lose their job because they are ill!!!!!

And, BTW I know your upcoming surgery will go well for you. Good luck!!
But I also agree with this.

Now take care of YOURSELF!! We will be here for you.

NoahsMommy
07-14-2005, 05:41 PM
You guys are so sweet. (((hugs)))

I'll try and answer your questions.

I have health insurance through David's company. Because we are still legally married, I can stay on his until our divorce is final. It wont be final until AT LEAST Feb 2006, so I'm safe until then. The job I lost didn't have benefits of any sort.

My mom thinks this is a blessing because now I can find a job with benefits without feeling bad for leaving this company. Guess that's not a problem anymore.

On the legal matter. It is legal...she's tried to work with me: changed my work hours, offered a shorter work day (I refused because I wouldn't have been able to pay my bills) and has spoken to me about this a number of times. Her dad owns a law firm and is a Corporate Lawyer...I'm POSITIVE she consulted him first.

It was all written up for me, including the dates I've been late and/or out ill.

She also showed how my absence has hindered her company...and it has. :(

All these things are WHY I can't blame her. When I'm not there, the clients lose out. Its not fair to her or them.

I already filed for unemployment and when I have my surgery, I'll file for disability until my doctor releases me.

In the mean time, I'm going to check out temp agencies.

Thanks again for your support. It means so much to me.

Hugs,
Kelly

momoffuzzyfaces
07-14-2005, 05:46 PM
:( (((HUGS)))

krazyaboutkatz
07-14-2005, 05:56 PM
Kelly, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( Like others have said, it's probably a blessing in disguise because now you can relax, have your surgery, and recoop without having to think about your job. I'm also glad to hear that your surgery date has been moved up. You're a very strong person and I know that you're going to be fine. I look forward to seeing you again and will see you Saturday. Please take care. ((((HUGS))))

moosmom
07-14-2005, 05:58 PM
Oh Kelly,

:(:( I'm SO sorry!! I am at a loss for words honey. The only thing I can say is that things happen for a reason. That's not much consolation, I know. But at least now you can concentrate on yourself and getting better!! If worse comes to worse, there's always unemployment!

HUGE ((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))) to you sweetie! I'll be thinking about you and will try and call you this weekend when my cellphone gets re-hooked up!

Love you!

chocolatepuppy
07-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Kelly, I'm so sorry. I agree with what so many have said, sometimes good comes out of bad. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. {hugs}

kimboe
07-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Best of luck to you, and i wish you good health!
I also think that there is always good out of bad!

:D Think Positive:D

micki76
07-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Well, that just sucks. :(

Like everyone else has said, I'm sure it was meant to be and is a good thing in disguise.

If you need me, you know where to find me, sweetie.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/micki76/Avatars%20and%20others/Smilies/hug.gif

GraciesMommy
07-14-2005, 08:07 PM
I agree with the others...look at it as a blessing...
get yourself well and before long you will have a great job..and be feeling good again..
and thank God you have insurance..

anna_66
07-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Well that just sucks:( But then again like so many are saying, maybe it's a blessing in disguise (I hope it's the latter!)
Now, concentrate on feeling better!

beeniesmom
07-14-2005, 08:30 PM
I am so sorry. Your boss is a B&#%H!
She didn't deserve you. You will find much better once you are up and running again.

Uabassoon
07-14-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this :( I wish I could give you a big hug, but it will have to wait until Saturday!

I believe that in the long run this will be good for you. You have lots of family and friends to give you their help and anything else you'll need. Right now you can concentrate on yourself and getting better. Then when the time is right you will find the perfect job!

wolfsoul
07-14-2005, 09:45 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this Kelly. :( Times will get better for you soon!

finn's mom
07-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Oh, wow. What a shock. I'm sorry that you're having such a downpour of hardship. I will be thinking of you and hoping that everything comes out better in the end.

K9karen
07-14-2005, 11:19 PM
Kel, that really sucks big time!
Actually, the same thing happened to me, but a little differently. I was offered big bucks from another company in 2000 because they heard of my expertise, etc. And they won the contract of the company I used to deal with and who knew me for 13 years, so I was a big benefit to them. I debated leaving my old job cause they treated me well had I had fun, and they finally gave me more money NOT to leave. But I wanted to consult for the company I was used to so I left. Right at that time my dad's Parkinson's got worse. My mom needed some hernia surgery so I took a family leave for 3 weeks. OK, fine. No problem. My bosses were as good as gold. But later, before dad went to a nursing home, my mother would call me an hour after I got to work to rush home to help her, or she didn't feel well. I used up all my vacation, personal and sick days. Then I started feeling the brunt of my neck and back pain and tried switching hours with people or coming in late so I could go to physical therapy or to the hospital for steroid shots. Meantime, they expected big volume from me and of course I wasn't producing because I was hardly there. After 9/11 when the company I was consulting for started going to pot, I was the 2nd person to be laid off, despite my experience. I expected it, I guess. Afterall, they had a business to run. But on the other hand, I thought it cruel because "what goes around, comes around". Even though nothing was ever mentioned to me, and I couldn't prove anything, I expected that was why. Like it was my fault that horrible things all tumbled on me at one time. So I was laid off in 2002, the day before Cody died, which made matters extremely worse. On the other hand, in hindsight, it was a blessing. There are only 4 people left in that office and all scared of losing their jobs anyway. I still keep in touch with them because I really liked them. My mom never believed, to the day she died, that was the reason I was laid off, but i knew better. All I can say is, bide your time, and look for another job when you're feeling healthy and normal again. That's what I'm going to do. I can't work in my same field again, because there's nothing available, so I'll just have to find something after I heal. It is a cruel world and I feel so upset for you. It brought back really bad memories for me. If you ain't got your health, you ain't got nothing. So maybe things happen for a reason. Good luck, sweetie. I hope everything turns out better for you. You'll be in my prayers for sure. {hugs}

Barbara
07-15-2005, 03:00 AM
Kelly I am so sorry for you- you have quite a bit on your plate right now.

But first things first: as everyone said, you should concentrate on your surgery.

And maybe this weekend will provide some good feelings that help you over the things to come.

Best thoughts on their way:)

NoahsMommy
07-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Aww....thanks, guys!!

And thank you for your similar stories. It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one...but also aware there are creepy people out there.

I'm really happy today...I'm so glad Stace is here!! And Tonya...and everyone else. It'll get my mind off things.

shais_mom
07-15-2005, 12:57 PM
You know I am here for you Kel!!! I was so glad to give you a HUGE hug when I FINNAALLY landed!
If you need anything don't hesistate!

ChrisH
07-16-2005, 07:34 AM
Aw, Kelly, I am so sorry to hear that. :( Sending love and big hugs.

Cincy'sMom
07-16-2005, 09:53 AM
That stinks :( I guess I can understand that they need to run a business, but at the same time, it doesn't seem fair.

Try not to wrry too much now and enjoy your weekend. Get well after your surgery, and then I'm sure the right job will come along.

We'll be thinking about you

moosmom
07-16-2005, 10:23 AM
I was let go from my paralegal position at the Corporate Counsel's office of a major insurance company in Connecticut after my Dad passed away.

They KNEW that I suffered from depression and my Dad's death took a toll on me. Working 40+ hours a week on top of having to care for my alcoholic father really did a number on my depression. I ended up taking a 6 week leave of absence on the advice of my doctor. The minute I came back, I got called into the office and was told I was being let go.

That really sucks when you are dealing with a health problem that is out of your control. The GOOD news was they offered me a 6 months severance package with health insurance. I took it and ran and never looked back. That was the LAST time I worked in the legal field.