PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Date Ideas??

chrangharris
07-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Dh was chastised by his boss yesterday that we haven't been going on weekly dates (what a wonderful boss he has!) He told me about this so I came up with the idea of changing our date jar around. We have a date jar that we would toss change into and use that for dates. We hardly ever have change so that's not working out to well. I suggested we both sit down and make a list of cheap ($10 or under) date ideas, cut them out and stick them in our jar. Once a week, we pull out an idea and that is what we do for our date- season permitting. (some of our ideas were specific to certain seasons).

What are some ideas for cheap dates? It can be fun, romantic, sexy, anything you already do or would like to do in the future!

Some of our ideas included bike riding, card games, bookstores, Christmas shopping, movies, and an ice cream cone!

GraciesMommy
07-12-2005, 08:15 PM
I know this may not apply..but who knows..still going to tell you some of our "cheap" dates..lol

we have a honda goldwing..so we like to take bike rides out to the beach and sit on the rocks and just look at the water and talk..of course we are only 40 miles from Galveston..

We never go to the evening movies..we always go to the matinee on Sat/Sun. They are only $3 up til 6 pm. I just can't see paying so much more for the same movie just because you go on a Fri or Sat night.

Sometimes we light the fire place...put down a quilt and make a picnic on the living room floor. We buy strawberries, cheese, crackers, grapes, etc..and maybe rent a movie..

kuhio98
07-12-2005, 08:33 PM
go on a picnic
take an evening walk and watch the stars
rent a movie
go to the beach/lake and pick up pretty shells/rocks

It doesn't have to cost money. Just spend time together.

kuhio98
07-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by GraciesMommy
Sometimes we light the fire place...put down a quilt and make a picnic on the living room floor. We buy strawberries, cheese, crackers, grapes, etc..and maybe rent a movie..

We do that to. We turn off all the TV's computers, phones, etc and put a blanket in front of the fireplace. Sometimes we roast hot dogs and marshmellows, but probably not something you want to in the summer heat.

Logan
07-12-2005, 08:58 PM
I think this is a great thread. I think it is important to have that one on one time together, without the children, even if we love being with our children. I can remember my dad telling me, right after my daughter was born, that we needed to make a strong effort to get her on a schedule, right away, so that we would have time for each other in the evenings. Unfortunately, our marriage didn't survive, but I believe in making time for each other more than ever now.

I assume you have great built in babysitters (grandparents), so you should make that effort, even if it is spending a nice evening at home watching a movie or just lingering over a special meal together.

My husband and I have lots of "dates" because we both have children from our previous marriages and there are times when it is just the two of us here, alone (of course the pets, all 8 of them, are here too ;) ). We often take drives up to the mountains and just explore, whether it be to a town we like or on a beautiful drive where we can pull off and enjoy waterfalls, etc.

chrangharris
07-13-2005, 06:38 AM
We do have grandparents nearby- they do so much for us that I always feel guitly asking them to watch Misha- I know I'm being silly!

I added the picnic idea to our jar. We have walks and movies in the jar. Please keep some ideas coming!!!

Corinna
07-13-2005, 07:49 AM
with Deb as grandparent not asking is really just silly! Tim and I have taken walks and gotten an Ice cream, read a book to each other, just sitting on our porch drinking tea.

Ally Cat's Mommy
07-13-2005, 08:43 AM
How about something really cheap and simple - get a sitter, then stay at home, and dig out all the old CDs you listened to when you were courting and dating, and have a snuggle. It's amazing how emotions and memories can be triggered by music!

sasvermont
07-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Free concerts in the park.....picinic lunch/dinner......

Bubble baths.....one or two people at a time, depending........and giving each other back scrubs, hair washings and then back rubs...etc.

Early morning or late evening walks......watching the sunset.....

Looking for water washed glass at the beach.......

Bike rides in the early, early morning.....no cars, just animals and birds.....

finn's mom
07-13-2005, 09:19 AM
museums are always cool.....sometimes, they even have celebrations where the museum will be open super late, or even all night....

taking a class together would be cool....there are sometimes free classes being offered at different places (like at a place near here, there was a salmon grilling class).

matinee movies, or $1 theater.....(take your own yummies!)

the zoo is sometimes under $10

botanical gardens

is putt putt cheap? miniature golf can be fun....

concerts...

dancing doesn't have to be expensive (eat dinner at home before you go.....make it a deal that you won't drink, if you do normally). you can even take dance lessons (not a cheap date, i know) and then go out once a week dancing......i know i'm planning to take singles lessons here pretty soon, it was one of the things i really regreted not doing with my ex (lessons).

car shows (boat shows, bike shows, even a dog or cat show! etc) can be really cool.....i don't know the first thing about cars, but, i love the shows.....

karaoke can be fun if you like it....and, you can always look for $25 longneck or $1 drink nights, if you drink. ;) just a couple drinks and some funny singing....

wine tasting things are usually free or inexpensive

and, that's all i can think of right now....but, go online and look up local stuff. i know i found a site or a page on a site where it had cheap dates in dallas, and, they would have all the special events going on....it was awesome, i visited all the time!

Have fun!

sirrahbed
07-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Good and fun thread!! When our kids were small - I remember our favorite date ever and it was when a friend took the kids for an evening and we just stayed HOME. What a treat to be like it was before kids:)

We LOVE keeping Misha!! So, maybe an evening at home to add to your jar?

For other ideas....

picnic at the park

cook nice "restaurant type" meal at home, light candles

library! maybe dumb but we used to love it

Stay in a spare room and pretend it is a motel;) Order pizza

go target shooting

finn's mom
07-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed

library! maybe dumb but we used to love it

I was going to say Barnes and Noble.....you can sit around and read, talk over coffee or tea at the cafe.....i love going to book stores and the library! :)

My Peanuts
07-13-2005, 11:40 AM
I'm getting so many ideas from all of you :).

The other night my boyfriend and I took a walk at dusk and ended up at the park. The park by my house doesn't close,but since it was getting dark there were no kids there. We played on swings and some of the other stuff too. It seems childish, but we had so much fun together acting like little kids and it didn't cost a penny.

kuhio98
07-13-2005, 11:58 AM
This was so silly, but it was right at that moment.

Once we went to the airport to people watch and made up stories about where they were going. We talked about trips we wanted to take some day.

Of course, this was all before 9/11. Now you practically get stripped searched and you can't go past security if you don't have a boarding pass.

DJFyrewolf36
07-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Spending time together is important, no matter what you're doing :D. Me and the hubby like to work on our cars together. Sometimes I get frustrated, but we always end up joking and laughing and outside of parts for the car the "date" is really cheap ;) plus I get to learn more about cars.

We also like to just get up and go for a nice drive. There are alot of open spaces around here. When we were living in a motel, we found that getting away was as simple as finding a spot in the middle of nowhere and parking the car. Our first date consisted of just parking the car and watching the stars.

Can you tell my life revolves around cars? ;)

Anyway, the important thing is to have YOU time! Every couple needs some time alone, even if it is just to cuddle.

chrangharris
07-13-2005, 01:00 PM
You guys have some awesome ideas and our date jar keeps getting fuller!

sirrahbed- We already had target shooting, the library, and a picnic- great minds think alike!! I love the idea of staying in the spare room and ordering pizza!! An evening at home sounds wonderful- that includes overnight service ;) ? I know you and Dad love watching Misha- I just don't want to be a burden (like you worrying about me watching your kitties!)

finn's mom
07-13-2005, 01:02 PM
I think the date jar is such a good idea!

persianmom
07-13-2005, 01:07 PM
I and your Dad didn't have a date night he didn't think it was important. Well you see where that got us. Go golfing, bowling, shoot pool, play darts. I will keep Misha also.
The date jar is a great idea.