PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider coming to London now?

Pawsitive Thinking
07-12-2005, 09:51 AM
Since the news that US servicemen have been advised to avoid London I was wondering how many of you would still consider coming over to see us?

LeahMM
07-12-2005, 09:59 AM
I would love to visit London. I'm a risk taker.;)

PJ's Mom
07-12-2005, 10:04 AM
I'd love to go to London! :)

Karen
07-12-2005, 10:05 AM
I would, I do not give in to terrorists, though I have been there several times already.

Kfamr
07-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Got some extra money for me?
I'll go any day!

Killearn Kitties
07-12-2005, 10:11 AM
That advice was very quickly retracted, and hopefully will not have a detrimental effect.

The IRA didn't stop me going, neither will anyone else.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-12-2005, 10:18 AM
In that case we would all love to see you!!! My flight to New York was booked the day before 9/11 and nothing would stop me coming over. Happy to hear that you still love the UK

kittycats_delight
07-12-2005, 10:57 AM
I'd do it for sure. I flew only 2 weeks after 9/11. I take risks. I don't mind. Then again you are talking about someone who flew halfway around the world to meet someone she had never met and is now married to him. :D

kuhio98
07-12-2005, 10:58 AM
I would definitely love to come over and visit. After 9/11, I was afraid to fly, but I refuse to let THEM stop me from enjoying life. I definitely plan on visiting London some day.

kitten645
07-12-2005, 11:23 AM
I would be there in a heartbeat and am even still considering moving there permenantly! I used to go a couple of times a year but haven't been in a while mostly due to the weak dollar! :rolleyes:
I'm planning a trip there in March/April.
I usually stay at near Euston station and plan on making that my main base still. I just LOVE London!
Claudia

Randi
07-12-2005, 11:52 AM
I've been visiting London many times over the years, and I'd still go, even though the world is getting more and more dangerous concerning terrorist attacks etc., but this can happen anywhere. I hope next years PT talk meeting in UK will take place. I'll be there! :)

popcornbird
07-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Would I still go to London? Definitely. My dad's entire family lives there. There are crazy people from all parts of the world, and anyone could do something anywhere. I'm not only talking about terrorists.....even criminals......like the man who killed that family/boy in Idaho, and molested the little girl. Evil people are everywhere, and we can't live our lives in fear because of them. That would be letting them win. Life should go on.....we shouldn't let evil people win by making us afraid to live our lives. So many people these days in different parts of the world lose their children and families due to bombs dropped on them in wars. :( They still have to live on, despite the dangers they live in. This world is a horrible place, but again, if everyone chooses to live in fear, we won't be living at all. We're all going to die one day and don't know how or when our time will come, so there's no need to be afraid. Just live while we're alive. I'm not sure if I would go on the subway again though.

GraciesMommy
07-12-2005, 12:29 PM
I would love to as well! Soooooo many places I would love to see...terrorists can be in our own backyard..so we don't need to let them scare us away from life!

elizabethann
07-12-2005, 12:37 PM
I would LOVE to go to London!!!! Who wouldn't? The history, the art, the architecture! Awesome!!

When it's my time to go...it's my time to go. In fact, I almost died the other night! I was walking Fenway when some idiot who was tailing the car in front of him AND talking on the cell phone swerved into the breakdown lane 30 feet in front of me! I thought, this is it.

Brody's Mom, can you fit us all in your home????

:D

petslover
07-12-2005, 01:01 PM
I would love to come to London.

Only if I had the money lol..

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Yes.

King Spartacus
07-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Daddy's there today... A tip to people who might visit London - do NOT go if there's a heatwave, unless you got no sense of smell! Nope, London doesn't smell, but 100 of people with sweaty armpits on the tube/buses is no fun at all!!! Yuck!

carole
07-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Well my son plans to head off to UK again next year, so he is not going to let that stop him, of course it makes it that more of a worry for me, not sure if I would go or not, not a big risk taker me.

Logan
07-12-2005, 03:55 PM
If I was going to travel internationally, I wouldn't hesitate to come to London. :)

beeniesmom
07-12-2005, 06:36 PM
I'd would visit London/England if I had the chance!

joycenalex
07-12-2005, 08:40 PM
i'd be in london as soon as i can pack and get alex to the dog sitters. now more then ever, there is no way i'd let terrorist slugs deprive me of any thing.

Lady's Human
07-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Too bad we're not all independently wealthy, we could take over a pub in London for a thursdays to show PT support.:D

Pawsitive Thinking
07-13-2005, 03:49 AM
Brody's Mom, can you fit us all in your home????

If only I could - you would all be very welcome! Once I win the jackpot on the National Lottery (Saturday???) I will give you all the address of my estate in the country.....................

Albea
07-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Were it not for the fact that it's becoming very hard for me to travel, due to bone problems, I probably would have been in London this Summer, as I have been almost every Summer for the past 30 years. I was there a number of times when the IRA was at its worst. I also flew to London the day after the first Gulf War ended. Nothing will keep me away, certainly not terrorists.

Barbara
07-13-2005, 12:44 PM
Of course I would go. The probability that a car hits me while walking Munich downtown is bigger than the probability that I am exactly where a bomb explodes.

Suki Wingy
07-13-2005, 03:13 PM
Well, YES!!!!! I wil work in the subways, it DOES NOT bother me. I hate living in America, and plan to move there after college.

NoahsMommy
07-13-2005, 05:40 PM
Of course!! I'm not letting lame a*s terrorists scare me away from doing ANYTHING!!!

Suki Wingy
07-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Did you hear about the "we're not afraid" website?

Cataholic
07-14-2005, 01:42 PM
I must be the only person that would choose not to go to London right now. I didn't fly for months after 9/11, and I cancelled my trip to DC- I was supposed to go the first week in October. My 'friend' was furious for me, and we no longer speak. Why would I unnecessarily place my self at risk? If I 'had' to go, I possibly would, but, I wouldn't plan a leisure trip there at that time.

Just being candid. :o

ramanth
07-14-2005, 02:20 PM
If I had the money, I'd visit London and Europe in a heartbeat. :)

Pawsitive Thinking
07-15-2005, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I must be the only person that would choose not to go to London right now. I didn't fly for months after 9/11, and I cancelled my trip to DC- I was supposed to go the first week in October. My 'friend' was furious for me, and we no longer speak. Why would I unnecessarily place my self at risk? If I 'had' to go, I possibly would, but, I wouldn't plan a leisure trip there at that time.

Just being candid. :o

You can only do what you feel is right for you. It took a while for me to decide about coming to New York so soon after 9/11 and although I may go to London soon I doubt I'll be going on the tube

Barbara
07-15-2005, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Why would I unnecessarily place my self at risk?

The problem is that the question "What is risky" cannot be answered easily. The risk in NY was bigger at September 10th than any day after September 11:(

Of course you can decide only to stay in rural areas - you can get your risk down that way.

But any visitor to spectacular cities, like New York, London, Paris, Istanbul, Rome (the vatican?), Madrid etc. takes a risk these days. On the other hand, that risk is not very concrete. And to my opinion the risk is not higher than the normal risks involved in travelling, like a plane crash due to technical problems or the risk of a car accident.

Terrorists have been planning to attack smaller events like the Strassburg (in Alsace in France) Christmas Market. And in Germany we start to get worried about the World Football Championship next year. If we have to plan all our activities under the thought "what is going to happen there?" I would feel too restricted.

Of course even if you would disagree with me, I would never stop talking to you

;)

Cataholic
07-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Barbara, of course nothing like this would make us stop talking! As if you could EVER make me stop talking to you...he he he.

You are right, the risk was greater 9/10 than 9/11. And, no one knows what will happen in the future. I have heard on the news that Italy is the next target, and my sister lives in Milan. Of course, that makes me want to have her move back to the states. That isn't practical, and I am not sure my statements are practical. I wouldn't not go to London, but, I wouldn't plan to go there next week (not that I am going anywhere these days...he he he...Jonah is the BIGGEST risk :D ).

Pawsitive Thinking
07-15-2005, 08:55 AM
Happily - none of us has to travel anywhere to be with friends! Isn't the internet just the best?!

Lexi_Lover
07-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Only if I can bring Lexi! ;)

Cataholic
07-15-2005, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
Only if I can bring Lexi! ;)

And leave Jewel at home? What sorta person are you, anyway? :D

Pawsitive Thinking
07-15-2005, 10:14 AM
As I posted earlier, WHEN (not if) I win the jackpot on the lottery it will be open house to you and all your furkids with a day trip to London thrown in!

k9krazee
07-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Would I come to London now...YUP...in fact, I will be there in a couple of weeks!!!

carole
07-16-2005, 04:59 AM
My best friend of over 35 years heads off to Heathrow in two weeks time as well, her first ever trip, I also just heard from her that her nephew was on the train before the one that was bombed, :eek: that is too close a call for my liking, So I will be hoping she makes it there and back to OZ safe and sound.