PDA

View Full Version : Is it too dangerous?

jesse_3
07-12-2005, 01:01 AM
Is it too dangerous to spay Jesse? We have all ready put her under for her leg amputation, and for an emergenccy visit, they knocked her out to staple her stump shut? Should we spay her, or is the risk too high?--She is four and weighs about 45 lbs, if that helps...

Thanks, Steph and Jes

lv4dogs
07-12-2005, 08:45 AM
As long as she has not had any complications with the anesthesia before and is all healed up from the leg amputation and is in good health I'd say she should be able to handle it just fine.
To be on the safe side get a CBC blood panel run first to make sure she is healthy. And consult with your vet too.

Spaying will atually help prevent quite a few problems that may occur as she ages.
The earlier you spay the better it is.

aly
07-12-2005, 11:07 AM
Its good that you know she's been under anesthesia twice and had no complications. If you're worried about it, you could have the vet run bloodwork to double check, but I'd guess she'd be just fine since she had no previous complications.

I just spayed my 4 yr old foster dog and she did just fine. Sometimes when they're a bit older, it is a little longer of a recovery process. My foster dog did great with it though. I did have some pain meds for her to make her more comfortable, so maybe that will help Jesse.

I wouldn't worry at all about spaying her. It will be best for her health. And when you get it done and over with, you won't have to worry anymore :)

jesse_3
07-15-2005, 03:25 AM
Thanks! I will tell my family that it will help her more than "hurt" her! We don't need any more puppies in this world, right;)

Steph and Jes

Karen
07-15-2005, 07:04 AM
Absolutely! Tell Jesse just one more "enforced nap," and that'll hopefully be her last visit with Sir Jury for a long time!

jesse_3
07-21-2005, 01:00 AM
All righty then!! Just one more nap and she should be done! I have one HUGE problem, my mom won't let us do it, she is still afraid:confused: I don't know what to do with my mom. Any suggestions for human behavior?

Thanks again! Steph and Jes

lv4dogs
07-21-2005, 08:39 AM
See if your mom will have a consultation visit with your vet. She can ask all the questions she needs & I'm sure the vet will set your moms mind at ease.
Your vet may even do this over the phone.
Call your vet & see if you can talk to him, ask him if he can talk to your mom (as long as your mom agrees to it). Make sure your vet gives your mom all the pro's & con's of having it done.

Here's a couple articles you can show your mom:
http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/why_you_should_spay_or_neuter_your_pet.html http://www.almosthomerescue.org/spayneuter/spayneuter.htm

jesse_3
07-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks! I'll try the vet call, quoteing from her,"What if the websites are made up or something?" Ugh! It is a little annoying..I understand her point though.

Steph and Jes