PDA

View Full Version : Let's go back in time...What were your favorite cartoons to watch as a child?

popcornbird
07-11-2005, 03:22 PM
My brother and I were just talking about all the cartoons we used to watch as children, and it brought back so many wonderful memories of us sitting on the floor together, watching after school. I remember arguing with my brother whenever I wanted to watch "My Little Pony", whenever he wanted to watch something else. Its amazing how 'clear' these memories are, and it feels like it was only yesterday.

Back when you were young children, what were your favorite cartoons to watch? My VERY favorites were, 'Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers," "Alvin and the Chipmunks," "Ducktales," "Darkwing Duck," "The Smurfs," "Gummy Bears," "Magic School Bus," "TaleSpin (dont remember the spelling)" AND.....though it wasn't a cartoon, I *loved* Reading Rainbow when I was really young. I also loved Tom & Jerry, and BugsBunny...he he he.

Did this list bring back any memories for the other late 80s/90s kids here? Go back in time, remember your childhood, and post your old cartoon favorites. :D

beeniesmom
07-11-2005, 03:24 PM
My absolute favorite was TOM & JERRY!
My mom thought that there was something wrong with me because I loved it so much. hehheeee:D

LeahMM
07-11-2005, 03:27 PM
I was a fan of Looney Tunes and Scooby Doo.

luvofallhorses
07-11-2005, 03:29 PM
The Jetsons, Bugs Bunny & Tweety Shoe, Looney Tunes, Muppet Babies, etc.

GraciesMommy
07-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Let's see:
Casper the Friendly Ghost
Popeye
Little Audrey

This is going back to the 70s

wolflady
07-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Fun thread, pops! :) I just loved cartoons and watched every single thing that you mentioned in your post! LOL I would wake up early just to watch my little pony! :o

Some other cartoons I watched included:
thundercats
voltron
dungeons and dragons
he-man
woody woodpecker
popeye
george of the jungle
scooby doo

I probably have missed some, but these are the ones I can think of right now.

....gosh, I'm old! :p

Logan
07-11-2005, 04:11 PM
You're not going to believe this, but our parents did not let us watch much television at all. We never got to watch cartoons unless we were at a friend's house. I think I remember the Jetson's being a favorite, but I don't think I got to see it very often.

jenluckenbach
07-11-2005, 04:26 PM
loved the Pink Panther, Underdog, Bugs Bunny, the Roadrunner, Yogi bear, Pepe le Pew, oh, I am sure there were many others, but these are the ones that pop to mind.

moosmom
07-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Mighty Mouse
Rocky & Bullwinkle
Tom & Jerry

K9soul
07-11-2005, 05:38 PM
I enjoyed a lot of the ones that have been listed. When I was really little, Popeye was my very favorite I think. I never cared a lot for Loony Tunes like Roadrunner because I didn't like shows where the animals were always fighting :p. The Tom and Jerry shows I liked best were when the cat and mouse were friends or working together. Woody Woodpecker was another one I watched a lot.

Sirrahsim
07-11-2005, 05:43 PM
David the Gnome!!!
I always wanted to ride a fox... what was it's name? Swift, maybe?

cali
07-11-2005, 05:57 PM
bugs bunny and tweety show, darkwing duck, ducktales, ninja turtles, pink panther, little lulu, flinstones(still watch it lol), and its not a cartoon, but Mr. Dressup!

popcornbird
07-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Oh my gosh! How could I forget Popeye? I just LOVED Popeye!!! My dad didn't really like it when we watched cartoons, but even HE loved Popeye. LOL! I never liked the Jetsons though. I thought it was the most boring cartoon on TV. :o

LOL.....does this bring back any memories?

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96781308/K=ducktales/v=2/SID=w/l=VDP/SIG=127v30prv/EXP=1121211880/*-http://www.glacius.net/cartoons/video/ducktales.wmv

Uabassoon
07-11-2005, 06:22 PM
I liked the Snorks and the Smurfs. I also watched alot of loney toons.

davidpizzica
07-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Popcornbird, since my childood was in the stone age (LOL), I always enjoyed the Flintstones, WWyl E. Coyote, and the very old black and white Popeye cartoons.

micki76
07-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by GraciesMommy
Let's see:
Casper the Friendly Ghost
Popeye
Little Audrey

This is going back to the 70s

Me too! I have them on DVD now. :)

I also liked:

Scooby Doo
Josie & the Pussycats
Wacky Racers
Looney Tunes
Felix the Cat
Little Lulu
Speedbuggy
Quick Draw McGraw

My all time faves were the ones from the 40's that were narrated and almost always had a bouncing ball with as you sang along to the words on the screen!

The Ultimate cartoon for me was with Spike & Chester. I named Chester after the little dog in that cartoon:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/micki76/CHESTERSNAMESAKE.jpg

Most recently I like:
Two Stupid Dogs
Stimpy
Family Guy
Sponge Bob Square Pants

GraciesMommy
07-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Oh how could I forget the Flintstones!!

lizbud
07-11-2005, 07:45 PM
I couldn't watch cartoons as a kid, but loved reading comic
books. Everything from Superman to Donald Duck.:) As a older
kid I loved watching Rocky & Bullwinkle. There was a lot of
adult humor in them as well as the slapstick stuff. I'll never
forget Bullwinkle's "ennie meenee chili beenie, the spirits are about to speak" :D

wolfsoul
07-11-2005, 09:10 PM
She-Ra (Princess of Power), Rainbow Brite, David the Gnome, My Little Pony, Little Lulu, Tailspin, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Samurai Pizza Cats, Popeye, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Jem, Starla and the Jewel Riders, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Care Bears, Teddy Ruxpin, The Little Flying Bears, etc...I mostly loved the Retro shows. Still do! Give me She-Ra any day.

finn's mom
07-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Oh, geez....another favorite thread! I suck at these! :D :rolleyes:

My Little Pony
Strawberry Shortcake
Rainbow Brite
Smurfs
ShirtTails (or ShirtTales?)
Pound Puppies
Alvin and the Chipmunks
Touche Turtle
Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har Har
Bugs Bunny, Tweety and Sylvester, Tom and Jerry, Daffy Duck, Road Runner, Elmer Fudd, all those old ones!
Popeye
Care Bears
Grape Ape
Underdog
Auggie Doggie and Doggie Daddy
Quick Draw McGraw

I just went and read some other posts, I loved Spike and Chester!

and, that little chicken hawk and the big rooster, I can't remember what it was called. :)

Man, there are so many! :)

Oh, and, the really old ones with the singing, dancing frog.....and, the little kids that looked like cupie dolls (is that even how you spell that?!)! I love old cartoons!

ack, and, speedy gonzales!!!!

cyber-sibes
07-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Felix the Cat....the wonderful wonderful cat!
I was just listening to classical music today - the Flight of the Vulcaries - and I giggled the whole time because I can just see Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny doing their cartoon-opera version!(Kill de Wabbit! Kill de Wabbit!)
I loved lots of caroons. Marvin Martian, Road Runner, Fractured Fairy Tales and Mr. Peabody's way-back machine, on Rocky & Bullwinkle show-(anybody remember Sherman? the little kid with the big glasses? My Sherman, with his poor eyesight, reminds me of him!)

K9karen
07-11-2005, 11:51 PM
How hysterical! I thought I might be the only person mentioning Mighty Mouse!!! I even had a Mighty Mouse Doll. I may even have it tucked away safely (my mother saved everything). Wonder what it's valued at today?
I still love Looney Toones (That's all Folks), Chip and Dale and there was one show, whose name I forget. about a little dog whose cage got lost in transit and he teamed up with other dogs to look for his owner, Tommy or Timmy. The "lost" dog was a spaniel. Anybody remember that? Was only on for one season I think, and I was a grown adult watching it! Even before I got Cody! I don't watch cartoons as much now, but I do watch Saturday Morning shows when I'm having coffee. (Lizzy Maguire, Trading Spaces Kids, Raven). Ok, so I'm not ashamed to say it. Still a kid at heart. I think it's relaxing and cute. Beats all the sad news on TV.

delidog
07-12-2005, 04:23 AM
Beanie & Cecil
Underdog
Rocky & Bullwinkle
QuickDraw McGraw
Bugs & Friends
Kimba the White Lion

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-12-2005, 05:30 AM
Oh my, I have to go so far back in time now....:eek: :rolleyes: .
When I was a kid, there weren't much cartoons on tele yet (I was born in 1956). I still remember The Flintstones and anything from Mickey Mouse !!!I am getting old :D :(

cyber-sibes
07-12-2005, 06:37 AM
Maya & Inka's mom --- you're not all that old! Think of it this way...you were born the same year as my YOUNGER brother!;)

anna_66
07-12-2005, 09:25 AM
When I was a kid I loved

Speedbuggy
The Adams Family
The Ant & the Aardvark
The Banana Splits (wasn't really a cartoon but it was on Saturday mornings!)
Felix the Cat
Help! It's The Hair Bear Bunch
Hong Kong Phooey
Josie & The Pussycats
The Perils Of Penelope Pitstop
The Wacky Races
Wheelie And The Chopper Bunch

smokey the elder
07-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Loony Toons (all the Warner Brothers characters), Rocky and Bullwinkle, and Jonny Quest were my faves.

I still LOVE the Animaniacs!

micki76
07-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Does anyone else remember Tom of T.H.U.M.B.? His sidekick was Swingin' Jack? We had a cat named Swingin' Jack back then! :D :D :D

Ha ha ha! I just found this:

Tom was an average member of the U.S. Intelligence Maintenance Department. He was sweeping the floor when he fell down the stairs and whilst being helped by his faithful assistant Swingin' Jack, an oriental Martial Arts expert, accidentally turned on the shrinking laser beam ray gun and both were miniaturized. They gave their height to their Country, creating the Tiny Human Underground Military Bureau (T.H.U.M.B.)

Tom's office and home was a filing cabinet. The Chief used him when regular sized men were too big for a job.

The main enemy was MAD - Maladjusted Antisocial and Darn Mean, an organization of Scientists trying to destroy the world for their own means.

Tom & Swingin' Jack:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/micki76/swingingjack2.jpg

BitsyNaceyDog
07-12-2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I liked the Snorks and the Smurfs. I also watched alot of loney toons.

Snorks was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title of this thread. I loved that cartoon. I used to have a little plastic toy of Allstar.

davidpizzica
07-12-2005, 01:50 PM
I remenber watching as a kid Tom Terrific and his nemisis Simon Bar Sinister! Also, does anyone remember Top Cat?

cali
07-12-2005, 02:15 PM
I forgot one of my faves lol Anamaniacs! :D

LoudLou
07-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Any Scooby Doo... WITHOUT Scrappy!
Captain Caveman
Fat Albert
Jem
Wacky Races
Clue Club
Foofur
Dynomutt, Dog Wonder & Blue Falcon
Hong Kong Phooey
Josie & The Pussycats
Secret Squirrell
Hillbilly Bairs
The Hair Bair Bunch
Pixie & Dixie
Speed Buggy
Wheelie & The Chopper Bunch
2 Stupid Dogs
Fangface
Jabberjaw
... And many more that I loved but can only vaguely remember the title...:rolleyes:

Ginger's Mom
07-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Oh david p, I forgot all about Top Cat. I loved Top Cat. :) I was going to say probably the Flintstones or something like that, but...Top Cat, yeah. :D

King Spartacus
07-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
thundercats
He-he... I'm actually wearing a top with Thundercats on at the moment!!!

BUT... my fave cartoon was Super-Ted! Yes - loved it! Doesn't get much better than a flying teddy!

Sylvie, KS' mom

ParNone
07-12-2005, 07:35 PM
One of my faves that I haven't seen listed yet was Speed Racer. It's hilarious to go back and watch now as an adult. I love the one where Speed is blind and driving his race car, with Racer X giving him directions. Yep that could really happen. ;)

Other faves: Mighty Mouse, Underdog (There's no need to fear. Underdog is here. :)), Hong Kong Phooey, Inch High Private Eye, Jonny Quest, Flintstones and Popeye.

These don't qualify as cartoons, but they were apart of my Saturday morning staples, that I loved: Land of the Lost (remember those Sleezaks?), Lidville and Sigmond and the Sea Monster.

Cartoons that I like as an adult: King of the Hill, Simpsons, Jimmy Neutron and Dexter's Laboratory

Par...

prechrswife
07-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Looney Toons
The Smurfs
Scooby Doo (as someone else said, before Scrappy)

As a college student--Animaniacs:D

delidog
07-13-2005, 05:42 AM
Oh My Dog
I almost forgot Top Cat!!!!
And Danger Mouse!!!

ramanth
07-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Every show you listed I watched (and still do now and then :o horray for reruns!).

I also watched Voltron, Thundercats, and Animaniacs. :)

Currently I'm watching:

Disney:
Kim Possible
Digimon
W.I.T.C.H

Cartoon Network:
Teen Titans
Life and Times of Juniper Lee

Nickelodeon:

:D

DJFyrewolf36
07-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
Fun thread, pops! :) I just loved cartoons and watched every single thing that you mentioned in your post! LOL I would wake up early just to watch my little pony! :o

Some other cartoons I watched included:
thundercats
voltron
dungeons and dragons
he-man
woody woodpecker
popeye
george of the jungle
scooby doo

I probably have missed some, but these are the ones I can think of right now.

....gosh, I'm old! :p

Get out of my head!!! LOL this is what I used to watch on a consistant basis too. I also liked Gummi Bears, any Wile E Coyote cartoons, GI Joe, and my ALL TIME favorite, the original Transformers! Oh, and I was a huge Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan too. Now I like a lot of the stuff on Adult Swim on Cartoon Network (Venture Bros, Aquateen, Tom Goes to the Mayor, Paranoia Agent, Samuri Champloo...) and of course I catch myself watching some of the cartoons meant for younger viewers like Kim Possible and the Life and Times of Juniper Lee (I don't know why I like that show but I do :o )
Darn cartoons. Sometimes I think cartoons is all I watch!

Dakota's Mommy
07-13-2005, 01:43 PM
My husband loved the old Disney Cartoons so he's loving the new DVD's coming out of old Disney Classic Cartoons, I'm getting them all for him and he's in heaven! They just don't make cartoons like they used to!

ramanth
07-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
the Life and Times of Juniper Lee (I don't know why I like that show but I do :o )
Darn cartoons. Sometimes I think cartoons is all I watch!
I like that show too. The woman that does the voice of Juniper Lee, did the voice of Kari on Digimon. I think that along with the animation and the dialog keep me coming back. :D

I have Toon Disney, Cartoon Network, and Nickelodeon programmed on my tv remote. :o :D

And yes, I will tape a cartoon show if I'm going to be gone. ha ha!