PDA

View Full Version : heat and animals

judyduj
07-11-2005, 12:26 PM
is it okay to leave pets outside when it gets over 100 degrees, they have water and shade

Scooby4
07-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Your question may not set well with most posters on here. A majority don't believe animals should be kept outside period. I am one of those exceptions that believe that dogs can be kept outside under the RIGHT conditions. :rolleyes:
I hesitate to allow dogs to stay outside in extreme heat or cold is okay. As I live in a hot humid place where 100 degrees is impossible to live under even as a human. However, places such as Texas/Arizona/Western states 100 degrees isn't the same.
Food and water isn't enough. A good shelter or shade provider is needed. Dogs don't sweat. They lose heat through their tongues mostly. That is why they pant. If you MUST leave a dog outside then allow them to have access to a cool spot in the yard, plenty of cold water, and their food kept in a dry place.
I would try putting them in the garage but make sure the floors are clean of chemicals. Anti-freeze kills. The garage may not be cool but adding a fan or breeze may help.
I am sure your going to get some not so nice replies to your post. The animal lovers here can be extreme in their views.:cool: Remember that it is the HEALTH of the animal that everyone here cares about. Our animals are our children to a majority of us. ;) Good luck!!!

caseysmom
07-12-2005, 12:00 PM
I think it depends on your pet, I know some dogs cannot tolerate heat and others can. I leave my pets indoors but then I worry about fire so you can't win.

lizbud
07-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by judyduj
is it okay to leave pets outside when it gets over 100 degrees, they have water and shade

I imagine it would depend on the dog. I know my hairy kids
would not like it at all, even with shade. They hate the flies
biteing them & generally seem miserable outside during extreme
heat. They like it inside in the A/C better.:)

dragondawg
07-12-2005, 08:14 PM
there should be no problems. I leave mine out in a 30X22' pen in the day year around. If I left my 2 monsters alone in the house, I shutter to think of what they might think of. :eek:

On the other hand when I come home, they get to come in, and be with me until the next morning. My little male lays on the register to cool down fast. :cool:

Another thing you can do for the outdoors is to buy a kiddy swiming pool, and fill it up with water. They will take a dip during the day. My female literally jumps in and twirls around splashing away. :)

GraciesMommy
07-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Gracie certainly can't tolerate it..when we are outside out in the pool and she comes out I make sure she has plenty of fresh water and we leave the sunroom door open so she can go in and out and there is a fan in there and sometimes she STILL throws up..from either drinking too much water too fast or getting too hot running after a squirrel ..so if it is over 95 I just don't let her stay out long...unless she gets in the pool with us to cool off some.
Maybe it is what they get used to...she is used to being in AC most of the time except to go potty or if we go out in the evenings to sit when its not so hot so she can play.

lv4dogs
07-13-2005, 07:52 AM
This can be a touchy subject. I for one do not mind if you leave you dog out 24/7 IF the pet has no other choice AND is taken care of PROPERLY.
BUT it also depends on the breed too. Any dogs with shorter muzzles (pugs, boxers etc...) can have difficulty breathing especially in hot weather. Those breeds should not be kept outdoors.

If the dog has shade available all day long, FRESH clean water, shelter, dry insect free food, preferably a small kiddie pool for those really warm days (at least above 85), keep the area CLEAN and gets enough attention & exercise I see no problem with keeping a dog outdoors. After all that is a heck of a lot better than being on death row in some shelter or having a home with a crappy owner.

But if at all possible please try to keep the pets indoors in the a/c or somewhere cool (basement etc..) when it gets above 90 and please do not leave your pets outdoors when it gets very cold.

But personally me myself I would NEVER keep an animal outdoors all the time. Dogs are pack animals they need their human family. I believe to treat others as you would like to be treated... no matter what species or breed. Would you like to live where you keep your dog?