PDA

View Full Version : Help needed! Starting to pee on the couch!

Bemol's mom
02-19-2002, 11:03 AM
Hi there!

I'm new to the board and I hope to learn a lot here, reading you.

I have a 4 months old american cocker spaniel puppy and sometimes have some trouble with this most of the time little angel...;)

He is housebroken since he's 2 and a half months, but he's now starting to act in a strange way. He peed on the couch 2 times last week, without even go to the door (wich he's used to do) and in front of us (the 2nd time, I was sitting right next to him!). My boyfriend is starting to be very upset. I was the one who wanted the dog so I'm much more tolerant. He's almost starting to be mad at me because of the dog. :(

I heard about a "teenage" period, but is it starting at 4 months???:confused:

Please help, why is he doing that?
Thanks a lot!

By the way, forgive my sometimes bad english, I'm from Quebec, Canada and usually french speaking!

sabies
02-19-2002, 11:17 AM
Hello and welcome to pet talk,

I'm not use to puppies or male dogs but I'm sure plenty of people can help you out. A few questions I had:

Is your dog typically nervous? Where does he fit on the dominance scale? Can you think of anything new in his life that could cause stress? He is young so maybe he's trying to figure out his dominance in the household.

Stenograsaurus
02-19-2002, 11:22 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk!!! I have to warn you though, this place is very addicting!!!

About the urination problem, I'd call the Vet to rule out any medical problem. He also might be starting to show his dominance. I'm sure there will be others here with better advise but that's all I have for you.

Bemol's mom
02-19-2002, 12:53 PM
Thanks for your support.

Answering your questions, Bemol is hopefully not a nervous dog. He's usually very calm.

About the dominance issue, I couldn't tell... He sometimes growls at my boyfriend when they're playing (usually on the couch) and try to hump on our legs or harms... What can I do if it's a dominance issue? Stop letting him jump on the couch? I don't know! :confused:

For the stress question, I don't think so but I'm affraid it will come... we're moving in about 10 days! What can I do to help him go through it without stressing too much?

Thanks!

kobieeli
02-19-2002, 01:52 PM
Welcome to PetTalk! (By the way, don't apologize for your English--it's much better than that of many Americans!)

I have a few suggestions, since Eli too was a young male dog not long ago:

* Clean up all accidents with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle (or similar brands found at pet stores)--only this kind of cleaner will get the scent out of the fabric so that the dog doesn't go back and mark the spot again!
* It's very common for housebroken dogs to regress at some point, and at 4 months the "teenage" time could be starting. Don't be surprised if he's a handful for the next few months.
* With a new puppy, you might want to make sure that he definitely acknowledges YOU as his superior and leader, which means don't let him up on the furniture with you. Keep him below you, on the floor.
* He also might be acting out and growling because of the attention you're giving your boyfriend. Eli did this in his teenage months, and sometimes still does: he'll get obnoxious and start barking or bringing toys to me if I move over and share the couch with my husband. Again, keeping the puppy down off the couch at these times could help.
* And finally, if this is a dominance problem you might seriously consider getting him neutered soon. It probably won't make a huge difference, but it should help with the humping at the very least!

When you move to the new place, make it a happy fun day for him as much as you can (keep him out of the hectic part), find a place for his dishes and bed as soon as possible and don't change those places, and watch him like a hawk for the first few weeks--don't let him have ANY accidents in the new home!

Good luck! :D

rodgerma
02-19-2002, 01:55 PM
Hello
I'm new to this site also, and it looks great, especially if problems can be solved:D
Bemol reminds me a little of my once-upon-the-time Adam. He was an English Cocker I got way back, phew, twenty some years back. I know he is joyfully chasing ducks in the never-ending sporting fields now.
Cockers are very cute and nice dogs, full of life and energy. I remember Adam had made up his mind that he was the emperor of his new home. Just imaging, a cute little (I believe four months old also) fur ball starting to act like a terror. Luckily I had the experience to deal with him, or else I'm afraid I would have lost my passion for dogs. He would play with me, then suddenly "attack" and act like he was the boss. He was showing off and acted very dominating.
How did I tell him who the boss were? Well, obviously, his attitude was in his head, not in size or force. So, I had to tell him using body language and psychology. When he started to act up, I held the skin on each side of his neck, turned him around so he was on his back. Then I put my nose on his nose while looking him straight into his eyes. This way I was the one showing off, and he couldn't escape from my earnest stare as I held his head in a steady grip. While I held him like this, I was talking, in a calm and low voice. Just talking, telling him that I was the boss around here, and he was supposed to take it easy. No screaming or loud voice. Just the close, intimidating talk and stare from me. And remember, he was on his back on the floor, just like any dog having "surrendered" to a superior dog.
I had to do this, as he really thought he was going to rule the house. I don't remember If I had to do this many times, or if once was enough. Anyway, after my "taking charge", he became the best friend imaginable. We were even on a radio show later, but that's another story.
Please bear in mind that any dog might be very softhearted and easily scared when it comes down to it, so it's important to know when to stop and how much is enough. You don't want to break down the poor little puppy :p Make sure you don't overdo it either, like using this ten times a day :eek:
It also pays to show dominance now and then throughout the daily life. By teaching him stuff to do, not to do, and not to do until you say it's OK. Like eating a cracker on the floor, not before you say "OK, it's yours". And not to enter the couch until you say "OK, go ahead" or what ever.
It's really in the daily interaction you show him who's the boss. After making sure the ranks are clear for everybody, I'm sure you'll get the best and most devoted friend you can dream of.
A Cocker Spaniel is a lot of dog in a small wrapping, and they are soooooo cute.
PS. as earlier posts say, give him a check at the vet to eliminate any medical problem.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Roger

gini
02-19-2002, 03:59 PM
I have no idea if this story will help you, but I will share it because my brother was shocked when this happened.

My brother and family were leaving on a weeks vacation and had planned on a house sitter/friend for their nine year old German Shepherd.

"Jake" is huge and very loving - and especially good around my seven and one year old nieces.

The house sitter/friend happens to play rough with dogs and Jake is so large you would think he might like it, however, he is such a gentle giant and his personality is not into rough play.

While the house sitter/friend was at their home and after teasing Jake - Jake went into the kitchen and peed on the floor. This never - ever happens.

Obviously, Jake was stressed by their friend - enough so, that my brother decided to NOT have him house sit.

You mentioned that your cocker growled at your boyfriend which makes me want to put him into the picture, more in the forefront.

This could be a dominance issue - or your cocker could be confused and upset by the rough play.

Cocker spaniels, and especially males have "attitutude". Of course, the good kind - but they do need a firm hand.

My former neighbors had a cocker and they went away for three weeks, leaving me to care for him. He was fine, depressed they were gone, but accepted me - because I fed him and cleaned up after him. However, when they returned - I had to laugh, because the dog "dismissed" me - would have nothing to do with me - and always deferred to his female owner.

Cocker's do need a firm hand in training and you have already received some good advice in the earlier posts.

I wish you good luck - and hope that all works out for the best for all three of you.

ilovehounds
02-19-2002, 05:16 PM
My brothers min pin use to do the same thing, he took him to the vets and they said as soon as both testies are down get him fixed. It work he hasn't done it since.

ilovehounds
02-19-2002, 05:17 PM
Just wanted to add

Welcome fellow CANADAIN !!! :D

carrie
02-20-2002, 02:00 AM
Please do not roll your pup onto it's back - unless you really know what you are doing this can create many more problems that it can solve. If you do know what you are doing there is no need to do this. It was seen as good way to dominate problem dogs until it became clear that it was a really good way to turn a lot of dogs into biters and, with older dogs, a really good way to force a dog into attack.

tatsxxx11
02-20-2002, 04:17 PM
Carrie, correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that very often inappropriate, sudden urniation "on the spot" is often in response to fear and is a submissive type of behavior?? Very often at the kennel I have seen very submissive pups do a "belly up" on the floor and pee!!

jopfef
02-20-2002, 05:11 PM
Hi! You've gotten great advice from everyone so far! I'm going to add my "two cents" worth, so here goes.

1.) Get your pup to a vet and rule out either cystitis, a urinary tract infection, or a bladder infection. If he has any of these, this will cause a "piddling" problem. Antibiotics take care of things, and you may have to do a temporary food change to help heal things up.
2.) This is from personal experience -- make SURE that you're feeding a premium quality puppy food. Many times, puppies can have developing food allergies, and a food change is in order to either slow down or stop developing allergies. I have one dog here (he's 12+ now), and he developed this problem when he started to really blow out with allergies; that symptom, and a number of other symptoms, were the reason we went off to the vet for a diagnosis.
3.) If you have ruled out the above, you need to get your puppy into puppy classes. Besides a pup learning proper obedience from early on, the classes serve to socialize the puppy and also "socialize" you on how to handle your puppy correctly.
4.) As far as the dominance issue goes, your vet can advise you on the appropriate exercises to perform with your puppy. I do not recommend putting the puppy on his back either; there are much better exercises to take care of the dominance issue. My sister had a Black Lab puppy with a big dominance issue, and her vet showed her the exercises to do with Duffy. She was religious on doing the exercises daily, and Duffy is an extremely well-mannered dog today -- all 100+ pounds of him!
5.) Get him neutered as soon as his testes are "available" for removal! Neutering at an early age goes a long way in controlling temperament problems, and makes for a much healthier adult dog.

Good Luck with your new little guy! I had cockers years ago, had Saint Bernards for a number of years, and now have Beagles. Dogs are all great companions, no matter the breed! :)

carrie
02-21-2002, 01:50 AM
Sandra, you are totally right, urination can be a response to fear, anxiety and is often seen in very submissive dogs. It is one of the most common problems that I see. People think they have a house training problem as the dog can't wait to pee when they get home and they can't get it outside fast enough. - I have to say that I love these cases because a) they are easy to see what is going on and b) I can leave happier dogs and much more sensitive owners when I leave!
A fearful or submissive puppy is highly unlikely to jump onto a sofa to pee though - it could happen and I can see how it would. From the situation described this is not the case here.

Bemol's mom
02-21-2002, 12:24 PM
Hi there.

Just had another fight with my boyfriend about Bemol. The only fights we have these days are related to the dog. :(

The thing is that we only have 1 hour for lunch time. It takes us about 10 minutes to get to the appartment and 10 minutes to go back. On the 40 minutes left, we usually have to bring Bemol out about 2 times. The first time, he pees and then, 2-3 minutes later, he's at the door again, wanting us to let him out to poop. Why isn't he able to all is business one shot? :confused: It is really bothering us 'cause it's always like that (even in the morning and evening). He almost never does everything in one time. I don't know what to do...

I was the one who wanted the dog. I was ready to assume the work, but I had asked my boyfriend before getting Bemol if he was going to help me. He had said that he would. But now, I'm pretty much alone in this situation.

I really don't like to fight with my boyfriend, especially for that stupid reason... I'm feeling real blue now... :( If anybody have an advice to give me, please DO IT! :eek:

Thanks... Valerie

sabies
02-21-2002, 02:04 PM
Don't be blue :(. Are you crate training your puppy? Any accidents in the apartment when you aren't home?

It sounds like your puppy isn't sure you are the boss yet. Adding stress with your boyfriend to puppy stress can make things very difficult, I'd look into obedience classes right away. The tips here at Pet Talk are great for learning how to relate to your dog but training is still difficult and it sounds like you need extra help.

Don't worry, the puppy stage isn't forever but the better you train your dog now the better the future will be!

carrie
02-21-2002, 02:05 PM
Work on a key word - I use "Busy" or "Get busy" - every time you let the pup out to pee say it. Say it again in a really excited, happy voice as the pup actually pees, "Good boy, busy boy." When he has finished give a quick fuss, stand up and repeat, "Get busy."
Wait - start this on a weekend when you are not in a rush to get to work - until the dog actually does poo and then repeat the praise. When he has finished and is on his way back to you keep saying what a good boy he is to be busy and have a treat ready as he reaches you. Lots of fuss and high happy voice. He is only allowed in after BOTH functions have been completed.
On the first work day let him out ten minutes earlier than usual to make sure the pattern isn't upset - keep it up.
Remember it is unlikely that he will need to poo every time he pees - but as it is a consistent problem in the mornings it is fair to follow this plan for the first outing of the day.

Bemol's mom
02-21-2002, 03:42 PM
Thanks for your answers... Anyone else having this trouble? Or had this trouble in the past?

Sabies... Yes, I crate train. Bemol stays in his crate during we're at work and had only two or three accidents in there in the first days. He's ok now. He'll never pee or poop in there. So he's not having accidents when we're not there. That's also what makes me wonder: why is he able to hold it like 4-5 hours when we're not there and asking for the dor every 1-2 hour when we're home on evenings and weekends???:confused:

Carrie... That's what I already do!:eek: Of course, I'm using french words, but it's all the same! But I don't have enough time to wait there until he's done with all his business. I've noticed that moving (running, walking, jumping, climbing stairs) stimulates him. We live in a 3rd floor appartment so we have lots of stairs to climb, so he usually is ready to poo when we're up! When I have time (and when the weather is not so cold), I just take a quick (10 minutes) walk with him (is it a good idea? does he see that walk as a reward?) and he usually does poo when we're walking. But I don't have enough time during lunch time. Next weekend, I promise I will try...

I'll call the vet to take an appointment to get him neutered as soon as I can. With our moving, I don't know if I'm gonna have the money as soon as I would like to but I'll do my best. I'm also gonna look for obedience classes. I had already thought about it but thought I'd wait this summer. I'm not sure I will! I'll give you some news.

Continue giving me your advices, I really appreciate!
Thanks a lot!

Valerie

By the way, is there a way to help Bemol bark at the door when he wants to go out? He's only scratching it at this point and sometimes, when we're not in the kitchen, we don't ear him.

RachelJ
02-21-2002, 06:56 PM
I sense that Bemol might be picking up on your boyfriend's attitude toward him. My suggestion is for you to assume total responsibility for this dog. He just is going to respond better with you than your boyfriend at this point. Ask your boyfriend to lighten up a bit with Bemol. I have a Cocker and he is a very sensitive fellow.

Second your dog is really still a puppy in many ways and yes, they can go through these stages. Although I never had one urinated on the couch, I've had them urinate on the bed and on their own dog bed and yes, right in front of me and right after she was outside. It doesn't mean that it will continue or become a habit, but I think neutering is essential.

Sometimes it's better to try to adjust your schedule a bit suit the dogs habits. Take a little extra time in the morning to stay out long enough to get both things done. You are right that exercise will stimulate one or the other of the bodily functions. Or if you can, go out twice. At least you know how your dogs body is functioning for his needs. Be a little understanding. I always think we demand so much more of our dogs bodily functions than we would ever be able to handle ourselves. Be sure your puppy has some chance to play and exercise every day, preferably at the same time and outdoors.