PDA

View Full Version : Lifejackets for dogs

jesse_3
07-10-2005, 11:42 PM
I was wondering if it would be worth my money to buy a doggy life jacket for Jesse? I know that dogs are great swimmers, but, since Jes is missing a leg, would that affect her swimming ability, or for precautions, should I get a life jacket?

finn's mom
07-10-2005, 11:48 PM
I plan on getting one for Finn, I think they're a good idea. :)

k9krazee
07-11-2005, 08:16 AM
I'm going to get one for Jack when hes a bit older, he loves swimming, hes just not very good and hates his head getting wet.

Jamieejo85
07-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Chico has one for when we go out on the boat. He tolerates it even though he is a good swimmer. I think they are a great idea

ramanth
07-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Kia has one, but hasn't used it yet. I'd like to take her boating and even though she's a good swimmer, I'm sure she, just like people, could get tired very fast when out in deep water.

ginagt
07-11-2005, 01:57 PM
I think they are great idea. I am going to get one for my dogs.
REI has some really nice ones
http://www.rei.com/category/40003682.htm?

2crazypuppies4me
07-11-2005, 02:02 PM
I had one for Lilly when she was a baby, and now one when she's grown. Incaes we go on a boat or something :)

Kfamr
07-11-2005, 02:15 PM
I'd love to get Kiara one for out at the beach.

beeniesmom
07-11-2005, 03:02 PM
If I were to take Beenie boating I would get one for her.
We don't have a boat so... I think we won't be making that purchase.

Bigyummydog
07-11-2005, 03:09 PM
That's a good question. I'm not even sure MAXIMUS can swim. We've never been out in deep water, just creeks. The last time we went fishing, he almost dumped the both of us out of the boat. I've always assumed all dogs can swim. :confused:

Chilli
07-11-2005, 03:57 PM
Yes, I think its a good idea.
I know, when we get our new boat soon, I am getting Ethan and Frisk one for each of them.
Mainly because we took Frisk to the river once, and my dad had wadded out in the water to fish, and Frisk went swimming out after dad and got caught up in the current and was being swept down stream. Dad luckily noticed and swam out to save the poor guy. Frisk-man was so tired from fighting the current, that if dad wouldn't have got him, his poor legs would have gotten to tired to keep himself above water.
He is MUCH more supervised at the river now! I had felt so bad for not watching him close enough. Now he doesn't get in the water unless I am there by his side.

jesse_3
07-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Okay! I think that I will get one for Jes for when we go fishing, just in case she does happen to tire out or something:D

Thank you everyone for the replies! They really did help, now, I just have to get my money found;)

ginagt, thanks for the website! Since they are a little more than what I can afford, would the ones I found in Doctors Foster and Smith magazine be okay do you think?--They are a little cheaper.

Thanks again!-Steph and Jes

ginagt
07-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Jesse,
I looked at the life jackets and Dr Foster and Smith, they looked like pretty good jackets. The only thing I didn't really like was how wide the strap across the chest was. On a bigger dog I don't think that would matter to much but on a smaller dog it would be uncomfortable. I have not order the life jackets for my Golden Retrievers but my parents beagles both have the vests from REI.
Dr Fosters vest did not say if if had a d ring for a leash, which is really handy if you want to take the dog on a potty break but still leave the vest on.
Good luck.

Tollers-n-Dobes
07-11-2005, 06:31 PM
I'm going to be getting one for Tango this summer. I think they're a good idea.

Kfamr
07-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Here's one I found on PetEdge. They're very cheap and send within a few days.

http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1320&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&iSubSubCat=0&iProductID=1320&AS=1

jesse_3
07-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Okay, I looked at the vests on that website you gave me Kfarmr, they look good too!

Ginagt, I see what you are talking about! Thanks for pointing that out to me! Honestly, Jesse doesn't mind what I put on her, as long as it's not her face! lol! I'm thinking that I will try the website that Kfarmr gave me, those straps look smaller!

Thanks!-Steph and Jes