PDA

View Full Version : Leaving your pets behind in an emergency..

Kfamr
07-10-2005, 02:11 AM
With the current hurricane pounding on people's doors, some people have left their animals at home or dropped them at shelters, while they evacuate to safety.

This is just something that doesn't sit right with me. While I understand some places don't allow animals, I just can't fathom leaving them to fend for themselves.

To me, if it came down to where I had nowhere to go with my animals there's no way in heck i'd leave. If they have to stay, i'm staying with them.

Just like i'd never leave a human friend/family member behind, i'd never leave one of my animals behind. My animals are family members to me, and families stick together.

Currently I have a bag for the dogs ready to go just incase it's ever needed.

I was just curious how everyone feels about people leaving their animals during an emergency.

finn's mom
07-10-2005, 02:15 AM
I hope I'm never in that situation. But, I think it depends on the circumstances. It's not something I would like to see happen where pets had to be left behind, but, if it meant death for the human members to stay behind with the pets, that would be understandable. Seemingly unlikely that that would be the only option, but, I guess there are some situations that could occur where that is.

caseysmom
07-10-2005, 02:26 AM
I have been worried about all of you in Florida....hope everything is okay. I don't think I could leave my pets either and hope to god I would never have to even think about that.

smokey the elder
07-10-2005, 07:16 AM
I live less than two miles from a nuclear power plant, and since 9/11 I have been gearing up for potential mass evacuation. I have enough carriers for all my cats and fosters and can cram them all in the Matrix if I triple stack. I have crash space arranged upstate, in Sullivan County, with another former rescuer. Unlike forces of nature, terrorism is unpredictable.:(

GraciesMommy
07-10-2005, 07:38 AM
Since I live 40 miles from Galveston the threat of a hurricane is always real for us..we watch every one like a hawk when they start up on the weather channel..so far we have never had to evacuate in the 6 years I have lived here..but our plan is to head to Arkansas if a CAT 3 hurricane is coming toward us and Gracie would certainly be with us. I know that a few years ago when we had Hur. Allison and all the flooding there were many many people who were unable to leave til it was too late..and then could not take their pets..they had to stay in neighboring hotels and were told NO PETS...this was not from storms but from flooding and they had water in their homes..we were one of the ONLY subdivisions that did not flood..so we didn't have to leave..but no one could go anywhere for about 3 days. They had boats out on the streets looking for pets and taking them to shelters..

Corinna
07-10-2005, 07:39 AM
I agree with you Kay thats why when we flooded 14 years ago we had a 8yr boy ,9yr girl, 2 hamsters, 2cats, and a cocker,also a newfy in a ten ft trailer fro a week. Oh yea 2 adults too. Leave pets behind NO WAY!!!!

Twisterdog
07-10-2005, 07:49 AM
What a horrible choice to have to make, and a terribly difficult situation to be in.

If at ALL possible, of course I would take my pets ... even if it was difficult or inconvenient. That's part of being a responsible pet owner.

However ... if it became a life or death situation, I would choose my life and the life of my human family over the life of animals. If the only two choices were to either leave my pets behind or to stay with them and probably die ... I would leave them.

Kfamr
07-10-2005, 08:41 AM
I understand where you all are coming from and thanks for your input.

I don't think my parents could even think about leaving our dogs behind, so i'm probably safe as to choosing between them.

Daisy and Delilah
07-10-2005, 09:39 AM
Kay, My philosophy is; if wherever I would have to go doesn't accept my dogs, then I'm not going. I put Daisy and Delilah in the same category as myself. We will stay together no matter what. It is so heartbreaking to see people fleeing without their pets.

Terry

IRescue452
07-10-2005, 09:56 AM
We don't get emergencies like that in WI but it does disgust me how quickly some people leve them behind. There are a lot of hotels that will take pets and some that don't will make exceptions in an emergency situation. Also, if you are driving to an area out of the emergency zone, why not take yor pet on the drive and drop them off at a kennel in a safe area. That way you don't have to find a hotel that accepts them. There are so many alternatives to leaving them behind that I don't see a person being in such a bind that they must leave them.

micki76
07-10-2005, 10:01 AM
I'm with you, Kay. If I couldn't stay in a hotel with the kids, then I guess I'd be staying in a rest area on the highway with them. Or I'd drive until I could find a hotel that would accept them, no matter how many hours I had to drive to find one.

There's NO WAY I could leave them behind, in any circumstance. No way. :(

kittycats_delight
07-10-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
If the only two choices were to either leave my pets behind or to stay with them and probably die ... I would leave them.

I could never do that. I would die with them before I would leave them. I am responsible for their lives and they trust me to not abandon them and leave them to die. There is no way in this worl would I leave them. I could never live with myself knowing I left them scared and alone to die when they trusted me. NEVER I COULD NOT DO IT !!!!

Would you leave your child behind? Well to me those animals are just as dependent on you and therefore they are your children. Why leave them behind?

moosmom
07-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Kayann,

To me, if it came down to where I had nowhere to go with my animals there's no way in heck i'd leave. If they have to stay, i'm staying with them.

I'm with you!!! If I can't bring my furkids with me, I go NOWHERE!!! They'd have to take me out in handcuffs first!

lizbud
07-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by micki76
I'm with you, Kay. If I couldn't stay in a hotel with the kids, then I guess I'd be staying in a rest area on the highway with them. Or I'd drive until I could find a hotel that would accept them, no matter how many hours I had to drive to find one.

There's NO WAY I could leave them behind, in any circumstance. No way. :(

Ditto that here. I believe their chances would be much better
with me, than without.:)

chocolatepuppy
07-10-2005, 12:09 PM
I would never leave my furkids behind. Even if we had to stay in the truck! My biggest fear is evacuation in case of a train derailment (we live between two tracks) And my biggest fear there is not being home if it happens. :(

DogLover9501
07-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by kittycats_delight
I could never do that. I would die with them before I would leave them.

Ditto.

We don't have to worry about hurricanes here, but I know I would never leave them behind. Their lives are just as important as my own, or anyone elses.

*LabLoverKEB*
07-10-2005, 01:43 PM
I don't EVEN WANT TO THINK about leaving my sweet baby girl behind in an emergency, but there is no possible way i could do that. I just love her too much.

chrissycat21
07-10-2005, 03:00 PM
I would never leave my pets, ever.

There aren't any hurricanes in Chicago, but sometimes we do get tornados. When I was 7 there was a tornado spotted near our house and the first thing my dad did was get everyone in the basement and then he ran back upstairs to get Taffy's cage.

My mom and I have talked about if there were a fire how I'm not allowed to go back in for any of my pets. I don't think I'd be able to live with the guilt if they were killed and I could have some how saved them.

luvofallhorses
07-10-2005, 03:03 PM
I would never leave my furkids behind. They will all go with me and like lizbud said they are better with me than without :)

momoffuzzyfaces
07-10-2005, 04:56 PM
I'm all my fur kids have. They depend on me.
I could never leave them behind. I would never be able to live with myself if I did and something happened to them. I'd be haunted by their little faces waiting for me to save them for ever.
No! We stick together. I'd rather meet my maker with them than try to explain why I abandoned them.

slick
07-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
I'd rather meet my maker with them than try to explain why I abandoned them.
You and me both.

It's funny but I live in a highrise and almost everyone has a pet or two. Whenever there is a fire alarm, I pack up my kitties and walk down to the lobby. Do you know that not even half the building will do that and some that do, leave their pets behind? I just don't understand. How do they know it's a false alarm???:mad: It's gets me so upset every time.

Giselle
07-11-2005, 12:20 AM
Well...how fast does the evacuation have to be? If the evacuation time allows us to plan ahead for our future temporary shelter, then I would bring all my creatures without a doubt. However, I see many of you are speaking mainly for your dogs and cats. I don't know if you guys are just temporarily forgetting the other pets, but I have several very large cages full of budgies and a cockatiel. If the evacuation is immediate and requires for us to leave NOW, well...I shudder to think of what I have to sacrifice.:( I also worry about those people in Hurricane Alley who have multiple large exotic birds, such as Macaws and Cockatoos. Those guys have HUGE cages that sometimes require two people to move.

:( I pray that I'll never have to face such a heartwrenching decision, AND that those exotic bird owners are faring well as well as their precious feathered friends.

PJ's Mom
07-11-2005, 12:24 AM
It seems to me (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that people have enough time to take action when they find out a hurricane is approaching. I've never been in one, so I may be way off.

Now, having said that, it also seems to me that those who leave their pets behind didn't take enough time and interest in protecting them in the first place.

So, in answer to your question, there is no way in hell I would leave my pets behind. I would drive out of harms way with them and sleep in the car with them if I had to.

aly
07-11-2005, 01:33 AM
I am sitting here crying just thinking of these horrible situations. I would never in a million years leave my home without all of my furbabies crammed into the car with me. I can't even imagine people leaving animals behind just because a hotel won't allow pets. I'd sneak them in, sleep in the car, find other accomodations, etc etc etc!!!!!

G535
07-11-2005, 02:48 AM
Where I go my cat goes or I don't go!

joycenalex
07-11-2005, 05:55 AM
we had one last christmas, and my power was off for 4 days. the outside temp was 5degrees, and the inside temp, in the closed bedroom was 40degreesafter 24 hrs. the dog and i went to a friends to stay, who had very territorial cats, i couldn't take mine. i know that one of my cats gets very stressed when taken from the house for anything, screaming and stress defecation and urination, so my cats stayed in the closed bedroom, with food and litter for 2 days. they really didn't suffer, i still feel guilty. when there is a storm coming, i corral the cats in the bathroom and harness alex. i have an emergency bad, with food and animal meds. i need to do more, just in case....:(

beeniesmom
07-11-2005, 09:44 AM
I would NEVER leave any pf my pets at a shelter in case of emergency. If I can't bring em, I STAY HOME!
People are the worst animals sometimes.
They should have a registry of people who do such a thing and prohibit them from owning an animal again.
My question is: why would anyone even think of owning a pet if won't be considered part of the family? It would be like leaving a child behind.

GraciesMommy
07-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Usually you do have plenty of time...sometimes even a couple of days notice...they can't always tell what path the Hurricane will take...sometimes they turn...but you generally have enough time to get away..problem is so many wait til the last minute and then it takes hours to get out of town due to traffic, wrecks, etc.

gemini9961
07-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Like GraciesMommy said we usually do have enough time to leave it's just some people like to wait...ding dongs. Then the roads are all backed up and it's a mess. I will always take my girls with me...no matter what. As far as I am concerned they are my kids and like a family, we all stick together. I'll sleep in the car if a hotel would not allow us. I would never leave them behind.

kitten645
07-11-2005, 03:38 PM
After the '89 earthquake in SF, I walked six miles back to my house with my sister. We came home to our apartment that was in shambles. All the kitchen cupboards had flown open with ALL the contents flying out. In the living room, two large bookshelves had toppled over and had fallen on the dining room table. There under the table were our two cats, Jersey and Bobcat. I swear if they had kitty hard hats they would have had them on! :) There was no way they were coming out from under that table! :eek: Smart boys.
Thankfully we had kitty carriers that we got out in the event of a strong aftershock. Thankfully we didn't need them.
A lady I work with lived in the Marina and her house collapsed. A bunch of us were given 20 minutes to help her get anything she could out of the house. When we got there her kitty had survived and stayed put thankfully. :D We were so relieved. She said she didn't care about anything else but her cat. We took the 20 minutes to pack up the cat and her supplies and throw whatever was salvageable out the window so we could could collect it outside. Thankfully she was on the top floor of the complex so while she lost her home she at least saved some of her valuables..especially her most valuable kitty! :( :)
I'd never leave my furkids behind.

CalliesMom
07-11-2005, 03:47 PM
We ended up packing up the cats and the turtle and heading for my brother's house in Atlanta. The storm wasn't as bad here as I thought it would be and we didn't have any damage to the house. THANK GOODNESS! I couldn't imagine ever, ever leaving my babies behind. They are like children to me and go where I go.

Giselle
07-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Ahhh, see now if I was given days and hours to evacuate, I would certainly bring ALL my pets. Thankfully, our family has three cars, one of which is a large van which could certainly carry the dogs and birds. However, we live in the Bay Area which has never experienced a hurricane or any weather travesty like that (to my knowledge). Earthquakes and fires, on the other hand...:rolleyes:

AdoreMyDogs
07-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Just 2 days after arriving in Texas, we had our first tornado warning. Back in 1979, much of Wichita Falls was wiped out by a tornado that reached a mile wide...tornados are nothing to gamble with here. I had not yet unpacked the cats carrier, it was in my car, and the hail was pounding down...I didn't have time to go to my car, put it together and then catch the kitties. I brought the dogs with me to the cellar, but I had to leave the kitties behind, because I couldn't even find them, and if I did, I had no way to transport them to the cellar (neighbors cellar, as we don't have our own). So instead of risking my own life, I left the kitties behind. They were in hiding anyway, because they had never experienced the sound of hail slamming into a house before, and they were freaked out.

I have since made up an emergency pack with a bottle of water, a flashlight, and the cat carrier, and next tornado warning I'll do everything in my power to get the kitties packed into their carrier so I can take them as well as the dogs next time.

As much as I adore my pets, if they don't come to me, and they run and hide and make catching them a difficult, time consuming task, then sometimes you just have to say a prayer that they'll be OK, and get to shelter. In a tornado warning, there's little time to waste. I left the cats, there simply wasn't time to get them. I have made it easier to get them in the future, but if they run and hide when I pull the carrier out, or if they're off in hiding from the tornado sirens going off, and every minute counts, yes I'll unfortunately have to leave them behind...but if it was an evacuation that I had time to prepare for, you bet I'd take them all, even the cats with me, even if we had to stay in the car because we wern't allowed in any shelter/hotel situation.

tikeyas_mom
07-11-2005, 09:03 PM
if i could'nt take all my pets.. i wouldent leave.

finn's mom
07-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by AdoreMyDogs
but if they run and hide when I pull the carrier out, or if they're off in hiding from the tornado sirens going off, and every minute counts, yes I'll unfortunately have to leave them behind...but if it was an evacuation that I had time to prepare for, you bet I'd take them all, even the cats with me, even if we had to stay in the car because we wern't allowed in any shelter/hotel situation.

That's how I feel, too. I don't see the good in everyone dying in a fire or something like that. I would do whatever I could to get my pets to safety, but, if my house was burning to the ground around me, and, I couldn't get to Finn, I would not stay and die. If I had the chance, and, the ability, I would most definitely save my pets. I wouldn't even want another person to stay and die with me if I wasn't able to be rescued. But, I wouldn't let something like a no pets hotel or something like that keep me from having my pets with me. I'd live in my car with Finn before I'd live somewhere without him. If it was at all possible, Finn will always be with me, as well as any other pets I may have.

lv4dogs
07-12-2005, 11:55 AM
I would never leave my pets behind. I would do whatever it takes to have them with me. I have enough carriers appropiatly set up near their cages & by the door and have an emergancy bag in my car as well as one in my house near the door.

Of course it does depened on the situation.
Like if my house was on fire and I couldn't get to my animals in time, but I certainly would try.

If it was due to a storm or something else where I have notice to evacuate then of course they would all come with me, even if I had to live in my vehicle or something.

If it some sort of emergency that only gave me a tiny bit of notice I do have to say that I would rescue the dogs first, the cats, the ferrets, my hamster then my fish, in that order. It is hard to explain why, it's not really that I have favorites I love them all. I guess its a combination of things like who is easier to catch & transport, who is more human like, who is more bonded to me, who would be less stressed if we were to up & move without the comforts of home, the fact that a tiny dwarf hamster would probably die faster (less suffering) in most cases, etc... etc...

Life or death situation then yes I would leave them behind IF I HAD to (fire or something). But the choice to stay in a non pet hotel or the like or on the street you bet I'd be camped out on the street.

Cataholic
07-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by kittycats_delight
I could never do that. I would die with them before I would leave them. I am responsible for their lives and they trust me to not abandon them and leave them to die. There is no way in this worl would I leave them. I could never live with myself knowing I left them scared and alone to die when they trusted me. NEVER I COULD NOT DO IT !!!!

Would you leave your child behind? Well to me those animals are just as dependent on you and therefore they are your children. Why leave them behind?

Let me ask you this, if you were me, a mommy to Jonah, and the decision was to leave with Jonah, or stay behind and perish- Jonah included, with your pets, what would you do?

petslover
07-12-2005, 12:55 PM
If I had days notice, I would take all 7 of my pets. I would make sure they were okay.

On the other hand, if it was a fire I would get as many as I could, and pray that the rest get out okay. I want my human family to be safe. I couldn't bare to lose any of them. I love my animal family, but my human family you can never compare to.

The comment about would you leave your child behind really bothered me.

I'm not a mommy yet, or not even considering to be one anytime soon. Although, if I did have a child I would take my child and fight for my child's life before anything else. If it was to my child, of course I would grab my child before my pets. I would try to get my pets, but if not all possible I would make sure that child got out okay.

Okay, you all know that my animal family means alot to me, but my human family means the world to me. I don't know what I would do without them.

cali
07-12-2005, 01:33 PM
for me it depends, I have a lot of animals, there is no way I could leave my dogs and rabbit, and I would hope it would never come to having to leave the guinea pigs and gerbils behind. its not really poossable to take the fish... they live is a huge show tank, there is no room in the van with all the cages and kennels to place a fish tank the size of a large dog kennel.

kittycats_delight
07-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Let me ask you this, if you were me, a mommy to Jonah, and the decision was to leave with Jonah, or stay behind and perish- Jonah included, with your pets, what would you do?

That is a question I just cannot answer !!! I don't have a child so I don't have to choose between my child's life and my pet's lives.

But what I said was would you leave your child behind?

If you couldn't do that and your pet's are like family then how can you in all good conscience leave your pets behind????

Fox-Gal
07-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Really sensitive subject for me, sense I had to make this decision for 3 hurricanes that hit my home last summer.

I have lots of pets as many know and I would love to be able to load them all us and take them with me, but that is TOTALLY impossible. Where am I going to take Ducks, Chickens, Goats, Iggie's, Rabbits, etc? There's not a hotel in the world that will take them all in.

When the first hurricane hit me, we had 1 hour notice that it was coming. It turned that quick that we had no time to prepare, so we left, taking who we could and leaving those behind that we had to. Me crying the whole time worrying about them.

The second one came and we decided to stay and not leave our babies again. Well the closer it got, the bigger it got, the scarier it got. Family came and got us out, fearing for our safety and life. Paul's sister crying for him to come with her, because she couldn't deal with another death. So again we took who we could, again me crying, worried about those we left.

The third one came, eye heading right over our home, this one we had a place to go too and planed it out some, but again, we could not take all pets, there was no way to do that. We rented a house from a sweet old woman, who lets us bring 6 pets to the house, no more. So again some had to stay behind. Again me crying.

Life hands you some really hard chooses sometimes and even though I said I'd never leave my babies...........I did. Not because I love them any less then anyone else loves theirs. But because I value my life, my husbands life and the lives that would be effected by any harm/death that could come to us, Family members etc. I made one of the hardest chooses I have ever had to make.

In till you are really faced with it, you just never know what you will do, as much as you think you know. You live in a wood frame home, low lying area, a eye of one of the biggest hurricanes (size wise) is coming toward you and you look over at the man you love and you have to say, Lets go. If any harm came to my pets, it would kill me, but if any harm came to the person I love more then my own life...............I would die.

He left the home, because of his love for me and I left because of my love for him. The love of our pets is strong, but the love for each other is stronger, so you do what you have to do, no matter how much it kills you inside to do it.

Yes, I lost pets...ChiChi, my Chin, because our side wall was riped off, Baby rabbits, from stress we believe, fish from having no power for 3 weeks, no filtrations. It still hurts me to think about them, but did I make the right chosie............YES! What if my husband our I was standing near that wall, when it came off??
One of us could be a widow today!

Never say never.............as you never know. All situations are different, all answers to those situations are going to be different too. There is no black and white answer to all situations, choice will have to be made, quickly and some with no good answer. Picking the best of the worce, is all you can do. Then you pray.

Suki Wingy
07-12-2005, 05:30 PM
I agree with you Kay.

Pit Chick
07-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Fox-Gal
I have lots of pets as many know and I would love to be able to load them all us and take them with me, but that is TOTALLY impossible. Where am I going to take Ducks, Chickens, Goats, Iggie's, Rabbits, etc? There's not a hotel in the world that will take them all in.

There may not be a hotel that would take that many, but having that many critters is a responsibility you took. I'm not saying you should have stayed there and died, but if you have a pet the size of a goat, wouldn't that mean you have something big enough to transport it in? Living in hurricane prone areas is a good reason to have a game plan that also involves your pets. I'm not attacking you and I'm very sorry for your losses, but there really isn't a reason that anyone, people or pets should be left behind.

Heck no I wouldn't stay behind and die with my pets, but there is no reason to leave your pets behind to die. If you have to get out now, that's when you grab your family, your pets, whatever stuff you can carry and sort out the rest later. As long as me, my family and my pets are safe, a place to stay will come along later even if I have to drive several hours to a relative's house. I have a lot of animals in my house doing animal rescue and I live in Houston and know that one day I'll have to bail out when a hurricane heads our way. There's no way a hotel or shelter will allow us in with all of these critters, but that's ok, we'll just keep driving til we find some place that will take us in. Sure we'll have to rent a moving truck to haul all of these animals and if we have to sleep in the back with them, so be. They were already abandoned by their first owners, they don't need to be abandoned again. No one will be left behind. For people to leave behind one dog just because they aren't allowed in hotels or shelters is even more inexcusible.

Lexi_Lover
07-12-2005, 06:18 PM
I only have a couple of pets so it wouldn't be hard for me. Of course, its really hard to get the heck out with 9 bettas. :( So, some would unfortuantly have to be left behind. I would take as many with me, trying to pack them in somewhere. We are not anywhere near a hurricane, but if fire came to our home, I would save the ones I could get to first. Lexi & Skye. I couldn't imagine leaving the bettas, but if its my life I risk, or B*Boy's, I'd have to savour my life. Even though this is coming from somebody who actually tried to kill themself, I value life more then ever now!

Fox-Gal, I will never completly understand what you went through, until I have gone through it myself. But I am glad you made the right decision and chose your loved ones, even though they all were. You're very strong. :)

ParNone
07-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Unlike Hurricanes, most emergencies happen with very lil' notice. When something's sprung on you and you're in a state of panic, who really knows how they'll react until you're faced with that reality.

And a lot depends on how many pets you have and what kind. I think for those of us with only a few dogs, it may be a lil' easier. My three are always with me in the house, so if an emergency hits, it's not like I'm going to have to search the house for'em. But there's still no way I can carrry all 3. My plan is to pick up Murph and urgently yell "Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go", to Oz and Gull as Murph and I flea the house. I'm going to put a lot of trust and prayer in their natural Collie instinct to stick with the pack kicking in and that they'll be hot on my heels. Plus, stick with me once we're out of the house. Hummm I may need to practice this to see how they do.

I don't have a child, but if one of my lil' nephews were staying with me, he would be my first priority. I would never be able to live with myself, if I had to look my sister in the eye and tell her I sacrificed her son, for one of my dogs. That choice would be incredibly heart renching, most likely requiring therapy, but I would hope and pray that Oz and Murph and Gull would understand. I kind of think they would. Dogs seem to have a tendency toward that. Thinking of the pack's safety first and themselves second and my nephews are definitely viewed as part of the pack.

Par...

Fox-Gal
07-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Pit Chick
There may not be a hotel that would take that many, but having that many critters is a responsibility you took. I'm not saying you should have stayed there and died, but if you have a pet the size of a goat, wouldn't that mean you have something big enough to transport it in? Living in hurricane prone areas is a good reason to have a game plan that also involves your pets. I'm not attacking you and I'm very sorry for your losses, but there really isn't a reason that anyone, people or pets should be left behind.

Some how I knew their would be at least one person to say something when I posted as I almost didn't just for this reason. There always has to be one person, I should have known better, then to share. I won't make that mistake again.

No reason huh? You where not here, I was. If we had stayed, more would have been lost, then there was. I would have had to put my pets in several different rooms for their safety, so when that wall came down, more then ChiChi would have died once the 130mile hour winds came through that room. If I took them, we would have been on the road, in a car, during a hurricane that covered the whole state of Florida, because there was no shelter for us. Yeah, that sounds like a safe and sound idea.

"living in a hurricane area" OK I live in central Florida, which has been know as the safe area of Florida till this last year. We are the county that people have always been sent to, when ever a hurricane comes. Hurricanes always hit the coast and break up and weaken before they ever came inland to me. Till last summer, first time in over 100 years central Florida got hit like this. So yeah I felt safer in my area and not hurricane prone.

So I guess now, I shouldn't have my pets because I live in a "hurricane area" I guess that means if someone lives in Ca. they shouldn't also, because they "might" have a earthquake or maybe a mudslide. Oh, oops maybe I shouldn't have any pets, because one day my house might catch on fire, or a tornado might come and take it down.

Something big enough to transport them in??? Sure...........BUT NOT ALL OF THEM AT ONE TIME!! Even if I had a horse trailer...........not big enough, for all. It not like we ever have to take ALL the pets to the vet at once, or for that matter take them ALL on a road trip. So I guess I'm just a bad person because I have so many pets and don't own 2 semi's to drive then around in So be it then!!!!!!!!! I'm a bad owner and person.

But at least I'm a good enough person, to know when someone opened up to clearly a very painfully time in their life, not to slap them in the face, by second guessing them or making them feel any worse by their choice.

For people to leave behind one dog just because they aren't allowed in hotels or shelters is even more inexcusible.

I haven't cried over this in a while.........but thanks to this the tears are back and I again feel like crap. So thank you for being so understanding and hurting me again, with a painfully choice I was forced to make. I'm an inexcusable pet owner, now. I'm done here.

finn's mom
07-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Some how I knew their would be at least one person to say something when I posted as I almost didn't just for this reason. There always has to be one person, I should have known better, then to share. I won't make that mistake again.

I have never had to go through what you went through and I wouldn't wish that kind of tragedy on anyone. I understand why you made the choices you made. I was actually thinking that I would get negative feedback for what I said, too. I'm sorry that you were made to feel that way, but, I would have felt the same way if I'd posted my feelings the way you had. I hope you don't mean that you're done with pet talk.

petslover
07-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Fox-Gal, I think you are doing a wonderful job raising your pets. You should be proud of yourself. I sure hope that your not done with Pet Talk either.

Raise your head high with pride that your doing such a good job here for your pets.

Kfamr
07-12-2005, 10:43 PM
-sigh- I wish this wouldn't turn sour. It's the last thing I need right now. Please lets keep this a mature conversation without pointing fingers at anyone.

I can totally understand where everyone's coming from. With me having 3 dogs and 3 fish, I am fully capable of taking all of them with me. However, everyone has different lives and that's what makes each of us, us.

Libby, I'm sorry you've gotten picked on, I hope you decide to stay in contact. While Hurricanes can be predicted, there's no way they can be totally predictable. Anyone who lives in Florida knows that very well... Out of staters wouldn't understand unless they were glued to the television, and even then they can't experience the stress and stuff we do during Hurricane Season.

One really down side to Florida is the fact that it's so long, skinny, and juts out into the middle of the ocean. Take a while to get out of state, and usually in situations like this it takes MORE than a while to get out of state.

When I first created this thread I mainly thought of hurricanes - that's the only emergency type situation i've ever been through. Fires, and all of the others mentioned, however.. I haven't. So really, I have no clue how i'd react in a situation like that. Certainly i'd try my best to keep everyone in my family (family includes my dogs) safe.

dukedogsmom
07-12-2005, 10:44 PM
Thanks for upsetting one of our most tender hearted people here. You can't say what you're going to do until it happens. Guess I should get rid of Duke, Flair and Doogie, too, since I live in a hurricane area. You can't take a zoo in a couple of vehicles and shouldn't be judged for not doing so. You don't know Libby so don't be making those hurtful remarks to her when you will probably never even be in her situation.

finn's mom
07-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
-sigh- I wish this wouldn't turn sour.

I don't think I've ever seen a thread about this type of thing ever go without debate. Unfortunately. It's just one of those topics.

Kfamr
07-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by finn's mom
I don't think I've ever seen a thread about this type of thing ever go without debate. Unfortunately. It's just one of those topics.

I am well aware of that. However, I wish we could "debate" without beating someone with words on a subject already sore, and that's what I mean by turning sour.

finn's mom
07-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I am well aware of that. However, I wish we could "debate" without beating someone with words on a subject already sore, and that's what I mean by turning sour.

I'm aware of what you meant.

Pit Chick
07-13-2005, 10:39 AM
I have so much I would like to say in reply, but it would probably only get more misconstrewed into a bigger mess. I did say I wasn't attacking you and I am truly sorry for your losses, you obviously did what you felt you had to do. IMO it's not what I would have done. Some natural disasters are more predictable than others and living in an area where they are known to happen is a good reason to plan ahead. (Maybe I should have worded it like that in the first place.:o) I'm sorry for hurting your feelings Fox-Gal, that wasn't my intention.

The second half of my comment was in response to the original post and no way directed towards anyone. That's just what I personally would do in a situation like a hurricane which I fear may be what I'll have to do in the near future.

The last comment about "leaving one dog behind is totally inexcusible" (I should have elaborated more) is directed towards those owners with only one dog who would choose to leave that one dog behind to fend for itself during a hurricane instead of packing it in the car with the rest of the family and getting the heck out of Dodge. After Tropical storm Allison hit us (which I was driving through :eek: ), the papers and news stories showed pics of these poor dogs that people had left behind to escape the flooding and the dogs are cowaring on top of their dog houses, some even chained there. There really was no reason those animals should have been left like that.

DJFyrewolf36
07-13-2005, 11:55 AM
The only person who knows how you will react to an emergency is YOU. I don't think it is at all fair to judge others reactions to emergency situations even if you have experenced something similar.

Last summer, a wildfire broke out and it looked as if we were going to be evacuated. I already had Remus in the car and was preping a carrier for Dorian (my geko) and had a smaller cage for Cleo ready. I'll admit, I am hyper-paranoid and have arranged it so me and my pets can leave at a moments notice. Most people around here don't even think about having to leave as the only natural disasters that happen are earthquakes and fires and on very rare occasions, floods. I beleve though that ANYTHING can happen and I always try my hardest to prepare for it. I would never leave my pets behind unless it presented a risk of harming myself, my husband or my child. I figure if I die trying to save my pets, who will take care of them if they make it out?

As far as not having acomodations for my pets, I would gladly live out of my car if I had to. A minor discomfort for me is no reason to abandon the lives of creatures I swore to take care of.

finn's mom
07-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Well said, DJFyrewolf36.

Fox-Gal
07-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Pit Chick
I did say I wasn't attacking you and I am truly sorry for your losses, you obviously did what you felt you had to do. IMO it's not what I would have done. Some natural disasters are more predictable than others and living in an area where they are known to happen is a good reason to plan ahead. (Maybe I should have worded it like that in the first place.:o) I'm sorry for hurting your feelings Fox-Gal, that wasn't my intention.

I wanted to say, Yes you did say you where not attacking me, I understood that, but never the less you hurt with your words. I opened up to one of the worse times in my life and instead of realizing that, you second guessed me, by saying I should have had a plan, should have a means to transport all pets. I going to load Goats, dogs, cats and everything in one trailer? Do you realize what would have happened, just with the dogs and goats alone, that's sure death. As for a plan, first time in over 100 years central Florida got hit with a major hurricane, so it was not something we ever expected to hit us. One of the reasons we moved inland from the coast, safer. Predictable??? hardly, one hours notice and it turned from where we where safe to where the eye was heading toward us.

As for the rest of your post, how was I not to think it was aimed at me? No reason to leave pets behind you said, something I did. Rent a u-haul..somthing I didn't do and goes with the statement about having something big enough to transport my pets with. And my favorite "For people to leave behind one dog just because they aren't allowed in hotels or shelters is even more inexcusible"
I left behind more then one pet, I said there was not a hotel in the world that would take in my crew, so how could I not think that statement was for me.

I too always said I'd never leave a pet behind and if any one would have told me I would, I would have said they where wrong and meant it. My goal in posting was to say, never say never, not to be judged for my choice. Because as I found out, once the time comes and you are faced with it, never can change real fast. To remove all my pets, would have surely been a death to some, to stay would have also been death to some and even us, maybe. Plan are not, when you feel that death is a sure thing no matter what route you take, your thinking changes and you do what you can, with the best goal in mind, right or wrong. And in my case the death was a lot less, because of the choice we did make, I have no dough about that.

As it was said here, Florida in a long skinny state and even if we had decided to hit the road, with all our pets, driving your way out of a path of a storm bigger then the whole state, isn't likely to happen and the risk is to great to chance it.

So to you Pit Chick, thank you for saying your sorry, I appreciate that. The hurt of the words is still there, of course, but thats mine to deal with.

To finn's mom, petslover and Kay, thank you. As to leaving here, most likely not, not sure yet, but to ever opening up again, no, I won't do it again. Even thought Pit Chick did not mean to hurt me with her words, it did and I don't want to go through that again.

To Val and special thanks for you kind words.

finn's mom
07-13-2005, 01:00 PM
To finn's mom, petslover and Kay, thank you. As to leaving here, most likely not, not sure yet, but to ever opening up again, no, I won't do it again. Even thought Pit Chick did not mean to hurt me with her words, it did and I don't want to go through that again.

You're welcome. I'm glad that you are staying. And, I completely understand the fear of opening up. It's hard being judged for things you have done, especially when you more than likely did the very best thing for your family. There are a few things I don't say in Pet Talk, I want to stick around for awhile, and, too many people have no tact when they are passionate about a subject, and, my feelings are sometimes very easily hurt. It's just not worth it to share everything. I'm sure that you have folks here that you can pm when you need to share things like this. That you can trust to be nonjudgemental. Again, I'm sorry that you had to make that decision in the first place, Libby, but, I am so so glad that you are not leaving Pet Talk.

CagneyDog
07-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Since I only have one dog I would definitely be able to take him if there was ever a emergency. I would never be able to leave him behind.

Fox-gal, that must of been horrible...but I do understand your decision. :(:(

animal_rescue
07-15-2005, 10:11 AM
I would like to say that I will never leave my pets behind but really I won't know until something happens. Say a fire if there was a fire in my home and there was a cage in my way, I would definity grab the cage with animal inside it, but I don't think I could go around the house looking for pets. The birds and the guinea pig are by windows so if we had to we could break the window and get them out of the cage into a cat carrier. If there was a tornado we would grab the cages and dogs, then look for the cats because they usually hide, most of the time they hide in the basement so that's good but we had notice about a storm or something no doubt in my mind that I would take them, I love all my pets and couldn't bear to see them die because of me.

cocker_luva
07-17-2005, 06:05 PM
man if something like that happened around here, Jesse would be the first thing i would grab; not my photos, not my yearbooks, not my clothes or shoes. i would pick up my 35 lbs dog and run like hell!