PDA

View Full Version : prayers needed for a found sulcata

BitsyNaceyDog
07-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Tonight I got a call form my friend saying she'd found a small tortoise in her flooded yard and it was cold and sickly looking. I just happened to be in town about 2 minutes from her house, so I went right over. She handed me the tortoise and to my surprise it was a sulcata. I couldn't believe it... there was a sulcata in her yard. :mad: How'd it get there? :mad:

Anyway I brought him home and warmed him up. Hopefully he'll be feeling better soon. He's already looking a little better. If by monday he's still not looking great I'll call my reptile vet. (There's not much I can do before then, the emergency vet is worthless unless your pet is a dog or cat.) Warmth is the main thing right now.

Oh, don't worry, I have plenty of sulcata knowledge and experience, I have 3 of them already. This one makes number 4. Justin about had a heart attack when I walked in with it. They grow to be very very massive tortoises and require a tun of space. I think we're both still a bit shocked (and maybe a bit in denial) that we now have 4.

I haven't taken a picture of him yet, but this is 2 of my others, they were getting a bath (it's an old picture, but the new guy is about this size now) He's still a baby.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/kblaix/animals/reptiles/IMG_0328.jpg

GraciesMommy
07-09-2005, 10:58 PM
How wonderful that you have that knowledge..lucky for the little feller! I hope he recovers!

BitsyNaceyDog
07-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Oh Pamela, it's so great to see you back posting at PT.
Yeah, it was certainly lucky for him that my friend found him and called me, and it was also lucky that I just happened to have sulcatas. He wouldn't have survived much longer. Her yard is so badly flooded, I had to park my car at the road, take off my shoes and walk through water that was above my ankles to get to her house. That's the yard he was in. :eek:

CathyBogart
07-09-2005, 11:30 PM
oh man, baby sulcatas can be really fragile too. :( Best of luck, he's in great hands with you!

BitsyNaceyDog
07-10-2005, 06:14 AM
He made it through the night and does look a bit better. After he warmed up he started moving around some!

BitsyNaceyDog
07-10-2005, 07:27 AM
I'm such an idiot

I was completely baffled as to how a sulcata got into to my friends yard. I also thought he was a little malnourished because his shell was a little rounder than it should be (for a sulcata). I just did a search for florida tortoises and then gopher tortoise hatchlings. Come to find out they look almost identical to a sulcata hatchling. We have so many gopher tortoises around here, but I've never seen a baby, I only ever see them when they are big black tortoises. Anyway I'm glad to know he's not a sulcata baby that was turned out by some irresponsible owner. I'm still glad I was able to get him warmed up a little and dried off (he was so water logged). Now I have to figure out what to do with him. I'd normally take him back to where I found him, but right now that's not an option as "his home" is totally flooded. I'm worried that any other babies that would have maybe been there have drowned. :( I'll call the rescue place I know and see what they suggest I do with him.

puggywuggles41893
07-10-2005, 12:06 PM
I wish you luck with your new gopher tortoise!;) (or are you going to bring it to a rescue?)

Kfamr
07-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Good luck, Kari! I hope you find out something to do with this baby.

You're no idiot, though, so quit that talk! You're wonderful for caring about animals as much as you do.

luvofallhorses
07-10-2005, 03:07 PM
I will pray that he makes it.

HollandLoppy89
07-10-2005, 06:29 PM
You're so wonderful for saving the little fella! I sure do hope those other babies didn't drown!!!:( :(
Let us know and keep us posted.
I'm praying for the gopher turtle!!

ramanth
07-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Good luck with him! Your sulcata's are cute! :)

Kater
07-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Oh wow...poor little thing! I imagine many animals are lost in the hurricanes, flooding and aftermath. :( I'm glad this little guy now has a chance! I'm going to google the Florida gopher tortoise species so I can see this beautiful creature for myself! Don't be so hard on yourself for not IDing this foundling correctly at first...warming up was what either species would have needed! How is the little guy doing?

Your baby sulcatas are so sweet! Any chance you could share some recent pictures with us? Pretty please! :D

BitsyNaceyDog
07-13-2005, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Kater
How is the little guy doing?

He's doing really good. He's up walking around, burrowing, and eating well.
We found out what he needs and it's basically the same as my sulcatas. We found a snake & turtle/tortoise rescue that we will be taking him to this weekend.

Your baby sulcatas are so sweet! Any chance you could share some recent pictures with us? Pretty please!
Sure. I'm not sure how recent any of my pictures of them are, so I will breakout the camera and take some today.