PDA

View Full Version : A Kitten!!!

thelmalu99
02-18-2002, 05:17 PM
OMG, I am so happy and excited, I couldn't wait to tell everyone this story!
Last night, my neighbor knocked on my door and asked me to come to his apartment, as he had something to show me. He pointed to this huge cardboard box in the middle of his living room, and when I peeked in, there was the tiniest little baby calico kitten I have ever seen in my life! He is mostly black, with white on his face, neck and underside, and he's all speckled with orange. The tips of his ears are orange and the very tip of his tail is white. He also has little white socks (so cute). His little body is only about an inch longer than my hand (I have small hands). His eyes are this lovely shade of deep aqua. I really hope that they will stay that color, but I don't know...he's still so young!
My neighbor told me that Saturday night, he was at a bar where the bartender is his friend, and they guy told him that someone had just left this little kitten there and he had no idea what to do. My neighbor decided to bring the kitten home and hand him over to me, because he felt I would know what to do.
My roommate and I instantly fell in love with him, and we decided that the kitty would stay in her room until Tuesday, when she can take him in to work for a check-up. (she works with a vet) We didn't want him to have contact with Elvis and Danny until we got him checked out. I kept telling myself, "NONONO, Thelma, we are NOT keeping this kitten, we cannot afford three cats...we are getting him checked out and we are finding him a home..." Suddenly, my roommate remembered that her sister, Sarah, has been talking about getting a cat for a few months. We called Sarah, and she said that she was on her way!
My roomie took a good look at the kitten and determined that he is about 5 weeks old. (should still be with his momma! :mad: ) She also said that, even though it's a bit early to tell, she's almost sure that he's a boy. (I read somewhere that calicos are very rarely male. Does anybody know if this is true?) We gave him some wet food, and he chowed down, LOL! He definitely has a healthy appetite! His eyes are clear, and his ears were nice and clean.
Sarah came over and fell in love with him, and decided to name him Harrison (Harry for short :) ) after George Harrison. :) :)
My roommate will take him to work tomorrow for a check-up.
I can honestly say that I have never seen so much personality in such a tiny little body. Harry was running around, exploring and interacting very well with us. He is not timid at all; he's actually quite outgoing, and he's very alert. He's a little talker, too! He appears to see and hear very well, and he responds very well when you play with him. He's got the pouncing game down pat. He's also a little loverboy. He snuggles up under your chin and he purrs constantly! If you hold him in your arms and cradle him like a baby, he reaches up with his paws and "hugs" your face. My heart was melting...
He used the litter with no problem. No accidents!!
Sarah took him home, and we waited to find out what her husband would say. He also loves cats ( :) ), and they had been discussing getting one. Sarah insisted that she wanted a rescue, and her hubby had his heart set on a kitten. (Looks like we did both!) About 45 minutes later, Peter calls and says to me, "I just met the cutest little guy named Harrison, and he's just what I wanted!" :) Silly me, I burst into tears. This is my first time finding a home for an animal, an I know that he will be so loved and well cared for!! It just makes me so happy! I just wish all stories could be this happy!

Edwina's Secretary
02-18-2002, 05:32 PM
Congratulations on a job well done! (I was feeling so blue. I had just called my husband and said "when is there going to be some good news?" And then my last visit before signing off for the day -- I see this!)

I just love calicos. And yes, I believe it is 75% of the time calicos are female. Your friend might want to keep the possibility of the name Harriet in mind.
:D :D

tatsxxx11
02-18-2002, 05:39 PM
Oh Thelma, I can almost "feel" your joy and excitement! Harry sounds PRECIOUS!! Cudos to your friend for coming to Harry's aid, then turning to you, instead of turning his back!! What a wonderfully happy ending to your 1st rescue tale!! Thanks to you, Harry will soon be in the comforting arms of the most loving family and forever home; complete with extended family!! (That would be Aunt Thelma:)) What more could a kitty ask for??? Hope the all goes well with the vet visit tomorrow! Please give dear little Harry tons of teeny weeny little kisses from me! Yea, Thelma!!!!

thelmalu99
02-18-2002, 06:08 PM
Thanks guys! I'm getting misty-eyed again! :rolleyes:
Sandra, LOL! Harry has two doting aunties, my roomie Rachel and myself, and we keep calling poor Sarah for updates!

The only thing is that it has been about 24 hours since he last pooped. Rachel just left here for Sarah's house with a tube of laxatone. We know he's so tiny, but we figure just a "smidge" might grease him up a bit. Apparently, when he was at the bar, they were giving him half & half to drink :eek: , and my neighbor gave him some milk. We think that this may have made him constipated. It's not their fault, as they really didn't know what to do, and they were just trying to feed the little guy. My neighbor didn't know if he was big enough for food. I guess they figured that the best thing for a kitten is milk, but they didn't know that cow's milk isn't the best thing for little Harry.
Well, he's going to see the vet tomorrow, so hopefully he will check out ok. I just hope he poops soon.

He' s such a cute little guy! We took some pictures and, as soon as my roomie gets them developed, I will post them.

NoahsMommy
02-18-2002, 06:30 PM
Thelma,

What a wonderful story!! I have one question....how on earth were you able to resist little Harry??? :) He sounds wonderful!

Please let us know how things go with the little guy, I hope that laxatone works for him.

That reminded me of what my mom said when we got Noah. She said, "Wow, I bet your milk bill will be huge!" I asked her what she was talking about, she said "Well, cause kitties drink milk." I said, well, its not good for them. She said, "Well, what are you going to do?" She thought cats only drank milk!!! Silly!! :rolleyes:

Cant wait to hear how the vet appointment went. Do we get to see pictures??? :)

momoffuzzyfaces
02-18-2002, 06:55 PM
Such good news. It makes me feel so good to hear about Harry. I agree, though, don't be surprised if Harry is a girl. I don't think I've ever seen a male calico. I guess there's always the first time. :)
One thing about his lack of potty, when kitties are small, the licking of their mother stimulates them and makes them go. I don't remember how old they are when that stops. My Leonardo was a bottle baby...only ten days old when he was abandoned on my doorstep. The vet had me use a damp cloth to rub him like his mother would if she were bathing him. That was almost 12 years ago. He's a healthy 13 pounder now. The vet should be able to fix him up fine. Just stand back, when he goes, he may really go. :D
GOOD JOB!

thelmalu99
02-18-2002, 07:26 PM
He pooped, LOL! Rachel just called me with the fecal update!

PS-momoffuzzyfaces- yes, apparently it was no joke, lol!!

auggie
02-18-2002, 07:37 PM
Thelma, what a great rescue story! Sounds like you found the perfect home for the little guy. Can't wait to see pictures. He must be so adorable.:)

LoudLou
02-18-2002, 07:40 PM
HOOOOOOOORRRAAAAY! For happy endings!!! Isn't life great? Full of so many little mysterious miracles! Welcome to the Pet Talk family Little Harry.... Look forward to watching you grow!:D

And HOOOOORAAAAY for Auntie's who knew just what to do!!!;) :D

Pam
02-18-2002, 07:52 PM
Thelma this is so exciting and I'm so glad for everyone involved. I can't wait to see pictures of little Harry......errrrr maybe Harriet! :) Glad his plumbing is working too! :o

wayne0214
02-18-2002, 08:23 PM
ThelmaLou, I either heard or read somewhere, that a male calico or tortie are rare and usually sterile. I believe the birth ratio is somewhere in the vicinity of 1 to 3000 births or something like that.

Your excitement and happiness is obvious in your post. Good for you and little Harry. Sounds a little like the day I took Snow Tiger in.

............wayne

Pam
02-18-2002, 08:32 PM
Spencer, or how about Elton? :o

thelmalu99
02-18-2002, 08:40 PM
LOL, Chuck and Pam!
Sarah and I were actually saying the same thing when she decided to name him Harrison. Any future kitties will be named Ringo, Janis, Hendrix, Morrison, etc!
Pam, I like Elton too. I will add it to our list. When I become the scary lady down the hall with 40 cats, I will need names. :)

thelmalu99
02-18-2002, 08:51 PM
:D :D I promise! No Britney!! :D :D

Logan
02-18-2002, 09:17 PM
Did the vet determine what sex we are actually dealing with here? :o I'm a little embarassed to even ask!!!

All I know is that whether it is Harrison or Harriet, I am delighted that he/she found exactly the right place to go! From the Bartenders to you guys and then to your roommate's sister and brother in law.....Perfect Connections all the way around!!!

Thank you, Thelma and friends for saving yet another life!!! :D

thelmalu99
02-18-2002, 09:46 PM
Logan, thanks! Harry is seeing the vet tomorrow, so we will be sure of his sex. My roommate, who works with the vet says she is almost positive that he's a boy.

Seems like fate to me. Sarah and Peter have been talking about a kitty for months, but for some reason, they still hadn't adopted one. My neighbor chose that day to visit his friend at the bar. If he hadn't, who knows where little Harry would have ended up?
Seems to me like Harry was meant to be with Sarah and Peter. :)

I just can't seem to wipe this silly grin off my face. :) :) :)

Logan
02-18-2002, 10:32 PM
Me either!!! :D

Former User
02-19-2002, 02:05 AM
Hey, what a beautiful story, got my eyes a bit mist too. I'm so happy this adorable little kittten has a loving home now. Good job Thelma! And we're anxious to see pics :D

Gio
02-19-2002, 06:16 AM
...just no Britney Spaniels!

:D :D :D We don't want any pet growing with guilt complex do we? :D

Thelma this is a great story. Little Harry sounds so cute

Former User
02-19-2002, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by thelmalu99
:D :D I promise! No Britney!! :D :D

P H E W!!! ;)

K & L
02-19-2002, 09:17 AM
OH how exciting. Yes, most calico's are female, although we do have a male!

momoffuzzyfaces
02-19-2002, 11:05 AM
Glad to hear everything is working out for Harry. Who would have thought we'd be so excited because a kitten pooped? :D
Well, acutally, any pet owner would believe it, guess!:)
I look forward to the updates also.
:D :D :D

thelmalu99
02-19-2002, 11:12 AM
LOL, Momoffuzzyfaces, I know what you mean! Most of the people at work probably wouldn't understand my excitement over the poop episode, but I know that you guys can understand, lol!

Can't wait to hear about his vet visit...:) :)

Randi
02-19-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by thelmalu99
LOL, Momoffuzzyfaces, I know what you mean! Most of the people at work probably wouldn't understand my excitement over the poop episode, but I know that you guys can understand, lol!

Can't wait to hear about his vet visit...:) :)

The same here, who else would understand, but cat owners! :D

How did the cat end up in a bar in the first place? :confused: Keep us updated, please!

Wishing you and the kitty a bright and happy future! Thank God you got him/her!:D

Heather Wallace
02-19-2002, 02:57 PM
I am glad that you have fpound a nice home for him and that you can visit him. I can see that this kitty is going to be very spoiled indeed. Good work!!!

thelmalu99
02-19-2002, 03:05 PM
Well, I just spoke to my roommate, and she took the kitty in to see the vet. We couldn't talk for long, so I don't know all the details, but SHE'S A GIRL, LOL!
So much for my roommate knowing what she's talking about!! LOL! I don't know what her name is going to be now... I was kind of getting used to Harry, lol. :rolleyes:

Logan
02-19-2002, 03:29 PM
I think Harriette works just fine, Thelma!!! :D Bless her heart....hope she got a good report. :)

Edwina's Secretary
02-19-2002, 03:36 PM
Since he/she is going to be named for a rock star...how about Debbie Harry?

thelmalu99
02-19-2002, 08:59 PM
They have decided to keep the name Harrison anyway, since they are both big Beatles fans, and the name was chosen in honor/memory of George Harrison. I think it's cute. The name Harry suits her personality. :D

AmberLee
02-19-2002, 09:14 PM
I am delighted for Harrison, her new family, and her extended family of aunts, cousins, and friends. Such good news! She sounds like a real cutie-pie. :D :D :cool: :cool:

momoffuzzyfaces
02-19-2002, 11:35 PM
Harrison sounds like a fine name to me. :)
Do her parents know how big a fan club she already has? :D
Please keep us updated.

Former User
02-20-2002, 01:57 AM
LOL, a girl after all? Oh well, who cares just as long as the kitty is safe now and has a good home! Hope everything went ok at the vet!

Pam
02-20-2002, 06:17 AM
I love the name Harrison. It's also the name of my favorite actor, Harrison Ford!! ;)

wolflady
02-20-2002, 12:20 PM
Oh how exciting!!! Kittens are so much fun! Harrison is a cute name, and hey...even if it is a girl...it could still work...after all 'Harry' the post mistress is the main character in the Mrs. Murphy series!!!:D :D They could use the name Harry Harristeen! LOL LOL;)

thelmalu99
02-20-2002, 12:49 PM
She weighs only one pound!
She needs to be de-wormed, and they gave her a bath.
Otherwise, they think she's fine and we're just waiting for blood test results. Fingers crossed! :)

momoffuzzyfaces
02-20-2002, 01:10 PM
Glad her check-up was good. Worms go with the territory with little ones. They can even get them from their mothers. She won't weigh one pound for long! I bet she wasn't thrilled with the bath. Hope the blood work checks out too. Great news so far. :D I look forward to your further updates. :)

purrley
02-20-2002, 01:32 PM
Thelma - bless your heart - ITS A GIRL - so very cute! I can just picture that adorable little creature - so no John, Paul, George or Ringo's either PHEW!!!!!:D :D

NoahsMommy
02-20-2002, 01:34 PM
One pound....what a cute, teeny, tiny little thing!! Cant wait to see some pics!! :)

thelmalu99
02-23-2002, 01:24 AM
Well, little Harry's blood tests came back negative for everything. :) The vet says that we have to re-test when she's six months old, because she's so young, and these results may not be 100% accurate. For the time being, she's doing great and her momma and daddy are completely in love with her.:) :) How could they not be? She's precious! I can't wait to share her pictures with everyone!

Thank you again to everyone for offering your support and good wishes! This little baby has found a wonderful home and I expect that she will be around for quite a while to give us laughter and love. She's such a little charmer. She's really lovely, and I'm so happy! :) :)

felinequine
02-23-2002, 01:27 AM
Wow, I guess the Mrs. Murphy thing is more famous than I thought!I just saw one episode on Disney..anyway, the Harri sounds pretty, sweet and--kittiesh...:rolleyes:

momoffuzzyfaces
02-23-2002, 11:33 AM
I'm so glad things are going so well for Harry!:D
Sounds like her parents are the right one's for her too. So glad to have a happy story. :) :D