PDA

View Full Version : Old dog needs weight help!!!

SpiritHorse
07-09-2005, 05:58 AM
I have tried different dog foods, could it be that since she is 12 that she could just remain thin no matter what?
She has been wormed and ready for it again but still no weight gain.

Any good ideas?

Scooby4
07-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Can foods have more calories than dry foods. I would try to mix dry and a can together. Maybe feed twice a day. Once in the morning and later in the evening. Try frying up some ground beef. Adding some beef to the diet may be good as well.
It is summer time and the dog may not eat as much in hot weather. Try a little more exercise at cooler times during the day. Good exercise may induce the need to eat more.
Also check the dog's teeth. My dog Dirtnap had a serious tooth decay issue when first adopted. I had to add water to the dry food to get him to eat. He was about 12 at the time. I also added a teeth cleaning routine with doggy dental wipes.
This should get you started in the right direction. Some of the senior formula dog foods do contain less calories so you may want to keep with a regular or puppy food. Hope this helps!

SpiritHorse
07-10-2005, 12:02 AM
THANKS!!!

Will try the canned and dry mix or a wet food!!!
I am so worried about her, her son would have weight if he was on Prozac LOL He runs his off like his father used to!

dukedogsmom
07-23-2005, 11:31 AM
My dog Duke is also 12. He's on a special gastric food because a few years ago he had Pancreatitis. He's losing weight also. I think it might be normal but I'm going to ask the vet about it next month when he goes in for his checkup.

binka_nugget
07-23-2005, 04:00 PM
When I got Kaedyn, he was extremely underweight. We fattened him up by switching him to the puppy formula instead of the adult formula. It worked too well. Now he can stand to lose a few pounds. :p

SpiritHorse
07-24-2005, 12:37 PM
I am trying the canned right now, if that doesn't help I will try the puppy food.
They are picking up slowly but I think they will do okay thanks everyone.

wolfsoul
07-24-2005, 05:58 PM
What breed of dog is she and how much does she weigh? Have you had her checked for hyperthyroidism?

dragondawg
07-25-2005, 05:32 PM
A geriatric dog losing weight has either a metabolic problem, or it's cancer.

Yes I have a running Psycho dog too! :cool: