PDA

View Full Version : Ferrets in Need

tonnerrebird
07-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Fox Valley Ferret received several injured ferrets with infected injuries. We expect that the veterinary expenses are going to be large, and in light of the fact that summer is already a high census time here, any help towards their care would be appreciated! See pictures and original site. (http://www.foxvalleyferret.com/injured_ferrets_need_help_.html)

I'm a friend of Nanette who runs and is Fox Valley Ferret Rescue in Appleton, WI. I've adopted two of my ferrets from FVF, and I have driven many stray, abandoned, and surrendered ferrets from Portage County to FVF. She sent me an email about the injured ferrets and asked to spread the word around.

Here's the situation:

Earlier today (7/6) I took in two ferrets that had been left in the night drop at Bay Area Humane (Green Bay, WI). Both are at my vet's and are scheduled for surgery tomorrow (7/7) morning.

The worst injured ferret has no tail left, just a stump with bone protruding. That will need to be removed and we hope there will be enough good tissue left to close the wound. The other may or may not loose his tail-he had degloving type injuries where the skin was peeled away. The injuries on both ferrets are infected.

According to the note left with them "they had been told to stay out of the couch but both of their tails got caught in it one day-the brown one was not so lucky and lost his tail". Of course the owner did not (apparently) seek veterinary help for them. Instead (s)he waited a few days/a week then dropped them off after hours when there was no staff around to question their condition. Bay Area called me right away (after having the ferrets seen at one of their vets) and seemed kind of surprised that I was willing to take them in light of the injuries.

I suspect that the bills for their care are going to be large, and in light of the fact that summer is already a high census time here, any help towards their care would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Nanette

If you would like to help you can go to the website (http://www.foxvalleyferret.com/) which lists the email and phone number or go directly to her email ([email protected]). Every little bit helps! Even if you can't help financially, please pass the word along to other forums, chats, etc.

Thank you!!!

Pit Chick
07-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Oh my God those poor weasels. I wish I could take another one or two. The story the owner left sounds like a load of crap to me. I find it hard to believe they both got their tails stuck in the couch at the same time. I'm sure those poor babies screamed very loudly in pain, how could they listen to that and not do something about it? Geez, I really hate people.:mad: