PDA

View Full Version : 3 troublesome habits

simbachalupa
08-06-2000, 09:48 PM
About 2 weeks ago, I got the first dog that I have ever had from a friend of the family. He is a Lhasa Apso named Simba and is almost 2 years old. He got used to our house quickly and is very friendly and enjoyable. There are just three problems that he has and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to do about them.

#1 - When you are sitting and petting Simba, he will start licking your hand and then begin chewing it. Not hard, it doesn't hurt, but it is an annoying habit. We have tried saying NO firmly, but it hasn't broken the habit. We will hold his face to ours and say NO BITING and he will stop, but then will start again nest time we pet him. We need to break him of this habit.

#2 - When we take Simba on car rides, he gets motion sickness and throws up. We dont take him in the car much, but just on a trip to the vet or groomers, and he will throw up. This isn't the problem I'm sure there are pills for motion sickness. The problem is, when he does throw up, he eats it right back up. It's disgusting and we're afraid it will make him sicker. Is this normal or is he pecuilar? any suggestions on how to stop him from eating it are welcome.

#3- There are many animals in our backyard, and one very bothersome woodchuck that lives under our shed in the backyard. We have tried getting rid of him, but to no avail. We have a huge window facing the back yard and there is a couch in front of it. When Simba smells the woodchuck, he will jump up onto the back of the couch and sit looking out the window. We have tried to get him to stop, for fear that he will get hurt. He has fallen off the back twice and hit his head on the wall (not serious) but it hasn't taught him a lesson. How should we get him to stay off of the back of the couch?

Well those are his problems that we need help with! I appreciate any replies, please help us. Thanks you guys!

Always Love,
Amy

dogncatluvr
08-07-2000, 09:20 AM
Amy,

About problem #1, is the biting done with the small front teeth only? If so, it could be a sign of affection or happiness at what is happening to Simba at that time. (We have a Lab that does this). Also Greyhounds have been known to "nit" which is a similar thing.
About problem #2, yes it is not abnormal, although it is disgusting for us, that a dog will eat its own vomit. Canines in the wild will hunt for food and then come back to the den and regurgitate (vomit) the food for their pups to eat.
Problem #3, unless you put the couch against a solid surface, I can't help you with that one! Simba just has to learn not to fall off the couch! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Pam
08-20-2000, 10:28 AM
One of our poodles had a problem with motion sickness. He was good up to about 1/2 hr. in the car. Any longer than that, he got sick. Since my mother-in-law lives about an hour away and we used to take him with us, we discussed it with the vet. He gave us motion sickness pills to give to him in advance. They worked like a charm! Good luck!