PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do?

K & L
02-18-2002, 10:56 AM
The next block over I discovered a cat that appears it's not being fed well and could really use a vet check. I sneak by the house every evening (I believe he lives) and drop him a food supply. He now waits for me every evening at the same time, but still looks so scraggly and in need of some professional care. So my question to you, if you were in my position would you sneak him to the vet?

Logan
02-18-2002, 11:23 AM
Do you think he belongs to someone? I guess I would only intervene if you can take him and not take him back. If he's wearing a collar or you know he belongs to someone, it might be better not to take such drastic steps. I would just like it if you could swoop him up, have him seen by a vet, and then find a better home for him. He sounds wonderful and so precious that he waits for you now. I'm surprised he doesn't follow you home. I would!

Hope it will all work out. It is so hard, isn't it? That's how I got my Butter, only he just camped out in my flower bed until I finally gave in and let him come inside. That was a year ago!

K & L
02-18-2002, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure if he's actually owned by these people, he's just there all the time. He's not wearing a collar and appeared to be half starved. I've been tempted to knock on the door and ask if he's their's, but afraid if I draw attention to myself I may not be able to sneak food to him, if he is. He walks like he hurts, and his fur is matty and dull. I feel so bad for him.

Randi
02-18-2002, 11:53 AM
I´m so glad you´re helping this poor kitty! I would try and find out whether he belongs to anyone or not. Perhaps you could put a note up asking? If no one owns him, have you considered to take him yourself? Or find him another home? Because, if you start feeding him, you´ll have to continue as long as he lives. it would be cruel to stop, now that he has got used to it and waits for you every evening. A vet check also sounds like a very good idea!

If he is owned by someone, you should have a chat about how to take proper care of him.

I´m feeding a cat in our yard 3 evenings a week, other people in the building do it the rest of the week - summer, winter x-mas, holidays. If a cat has been used to living outside for many years, it can be very difficult to get him to live inside. In that case, you could perhaps get some more people together and make arrangements for feeding and sharing expenses for vet bills. If you find that it´s best he stays outside, you could build a house for him - we did that.

Hope you can use some of this advice! :) Best of luck!!

K & L
02-18-2002, 01:03 PM
My thoughts are on the line you're thinking Spencer. Also, if he has a contagious disease he/she could be spreading it throughout the neighborhood. OK....I'm off Friday, so maybe that'll be the day!

sammi
02-18-2002, 02:18 PM
I can understand your concern for helping the cat! I would think twice about going directly into someone elses yard and taking their cat. It would be best to find out if anyone owns the cat first (it may be just plain homeless and has no owners) if its claimed by someone ask if you can have him. It sounds like nobody is taking care of it but you. The reason I say not to just take the kitty (can you imagine if someone just took your pet out of your yard and you never saw it again?) find out if the cat has owners what the story is on it first. I realize it has no collar but give the possible owners benifit of the doubt first.

K & L
02-18-2002, 02:56 PM
I hear what you're saying Sammi. I guess I just look at it is if the owner cared, the cat wouldn't be in the shape it is. :mad: It's so thin, you can tell it isn't getting a regular diet.

Maybe I'll go up to the house this evening and ask them if it's their cat. I'm afraid if it is, I'll offend them and they'll be watching me and stop me from feeding it.

michelene
02-18-2002, 04:54 PM
K&L, Chuck has lots of rescue experience and very good instincts about how to save a cat. I don't, but here is my story.

I didn't know what to think about the next-door neighbors' sweet, friendly cat George with his dull fur. I fed him treats and gravy from the Nutro canned cat food I was feeding my kitties. Then I learned that my naighbors had been giving him daily insulin injections for the two years since he developed diabetes.

My neighbors are very good and friendly people, and so are their cats. They welcomed my making friends with Bob and George, and didn't seem to mind my giving them the occasional treat. I began to understand how ravaging diabetes is to a cat, from observing the effect on George's body. George loved people and would come out in the summertime when people were around.

I can't remember whether George wore a collar or not. He never ventured too far from his back fence.

The point of my story is to recommend you talk to the humans where the cat is "hanging out" to learn something about him. Most of my neighbors encouraged my friendship with their kitties and had no objection to my giving them some treats. They may be treating the cat's health condition, or not.

Best of luck!

K & L
02-18-2002, 06:39 PM
Very good point! That's why it's great to have these chat sites, it helps you see different views and possiblities. Thank you!

aly
02-27-2002, 06:27 PM
I completely understand michelene's point too, but at the same time if the cat is matted and looking that bad, I think it'd be best to get it to the vet.

K&L - Have you found out anything new?

K & L
02-28-2002, 07:05 AM
No, we haven't found out anything yet. We continue to feed and the funny thing is last night coming home from work I pulled in my driveway and who was there!!!!...yep the cat. He ate and then left.

Karen
02-28-2002, 07:37 AM
I would ABSOLUTELY knock and the people's door and ask if this is their cat. I bet they'll either say no, they don't know where he came from. Then I'd take him to the vet as soon as possible, and work on a home for him.

They might say yes, but he's outdoor only or something.

I don't think anyone would object to a friendly inquiry about the cat. If they say it's their cat, you can just say that you've noticed and wondered about him many times, and maybe ask it's name, so that you will at least know what to call it when you see it. You know, say "Hi, Bob-cat!" Nothing offensive yet, right? You can explain you're a "pet-person" and like to know the neighborhood animals.

Then, if you are comfortable with the tenor of the conversation, you can ask if he's sick ... you've noticed his fur doesn't look "right" and as a cat person, you know how fastidious cats are about their coat ...

And if (worst case scenario) they are abrupt and rude and say the cat is theirs but think everything's fine with it, I would see if the cat seems better off in a few days (now that they know someone's noticed), and if not, well, if he keeps showing up at your house, I'd feed him, and when he starts hanging out at your place all the time, I'd then consider that the cat has made the choice, vet him and find him a home.

Just me ...

K & L
02-28-2002, 07:52 AM
Well what I'm thinking of doing....my granddaughter lives a couple houses down from them...so I'm going to have her ask them if it's their cat (that way it will sound like a child interested in the cat). If they say no, then I'll proceed to capture and take him to the vet and relocate him to our place. If they say yes, then I'll go to the door and talk with them. I think I'll say something on the order, I've noticed the cat isn't looking too healthy and know of many discounted veternarian's if they're interested. If they're not, than I'll just have to take action upon myself. I can see no harm in getting vet care for the cat if they don't want to do anything about it!

jennifert
02-28-2002, 08:12 AM
I agree with Karen. Maybe just ask to be friendly and polite and avoid future trouble. I don't know how the laws are in your state but in New York, a cat cannot belong to someone. They are not licensed by the county or state and therefore no ownership is implied, unlike dogs that "belong" to a person. Basically this means I could go take that cat and make it my own, assuming the cat wanted to live with me, and the people would have no legal recourse to get the cat back from me. They would have to take me to civil court to get back "their" cat. Strange but true.

aly
02-28-2002, 10:48 AM
Great plan K & L !!! Keep us updated!

wolflady
02-28-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by K & L
Well what I'm thinking of doing....my granddaughter lives a couple houses down from them...so I'm going to have her ask them if it's their cat (that way it will sound like a child interested in the cat). If they say no, then I'll proceed to capture and take him to the vet and relocate him to our place. If they say yes, then I'll go to the door and talk with them. I think I'll say something on the order, I've noticed the cat isn't looking too healthy and know of many discounted veternarian's if they're interested. If they're not, than I'll just have to take action upon myself. I can see no harm in getting vet care for the cat if they don't want to do anything about it!

This definitely sounds like the best course of action. I'm sure it will be pretty easy to find out if it is their cat, especially with a cute little girl inquiring. Let us know what happens!! **hugs**

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-28-2002, 07:57 PM
The way I look at it if your neighbors own this poor kitty and it looks that bad, it needs a new home and fast. I would wisk that kitty away to the vet and take it home. It is sweet that it waits for you, and it probably wishes it had a happy home :( =^..^=.

lizbud
03-02-2002, 06:39 PM
K & L ,

Just wondering if the people have been approached
yet about the cat ? How is it doing? Thanks. Liz.

K & L
03-03-2002, 09:21 PM
We tried this evening, but no one was there (including the cat). But we left him/her some food.

K & L
03-09-2002, 09:45 PM
***UPDATE***

Drove by the house where we've been feeding the cat this evening and the owners just happened to be outside. We pulled up, and with the coaxing of my husband, we both went and inquired about the cat. Supposedly he's 20 years old and healthy. They said he's very thin and they've had him to the vet, but all tests were OK...so that will be one less worry now.

I told them we rescued stray cats and noticed this one wandering around and wanted to make sure he had a home. They didn't seem too upset, but were almost apologetic about his appearance. Said their son brushes him, and lets him come in and out of the house. I still feel questionable since he does look so bad, but will assume they're telling it like it is. I'm glad my husband shoved me out the door to ask! haha

Logan
03-09-2002, 10:21 PM
Well, if he's 20 years old, that answers a lot of questions, doesn't it? I'm glad you feel better. And if you feel better, we will too!!

What a champion you and your husband are for all of these cats!! :)

K & L
03-10-2002, 06:06 AM
Yes, it does explain some things. I just wonder why a 20 year old cat is wandering the streets, sleeping out in the cold, and always waiting for us to feed him. Oh well, we did our best. We will keep checking on him and stop by and give him a pet now and then.