PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Dennis

gemini9961
07-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Are you ready FLORIDA??????? Yes this bad boy is a category 3 now, almost a 4. Good times!!! The Keys are evacuating and us here in the Bay area are getting prepped. How are all my other Floridians doing??? Kay, I know you are not too excited. :( The good thing is that I might not have to come to work Saturday night, woohoo. Good luck everyone, get out that plywood and rev up the generator. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Kfamr
07-07-2005, 10:01 PM
:( I've been trying not to watch the news at all so I don't get overly excited. I hope Dennis stays away but last I did watch the news he "veered to the right" .. wrong way Dennis!

We live about 5-10 minutes from the Gulf.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-07-2005, 10:03 PM
*hugs*

I wish I could kidnap all you Floridians and Southerners and all your furkids up here to Wisconsin. :( So unfair.

*smooches to the fur/feather/fin/scaled kids*

Daisy and Delilah
07-07-2005, 10:19 PM
I'm like Kay, not watching the news so I don't have to hear about it. We may be okay on the coast but we never know. It seems like yesterday when we went through this. My neighbors behind me have had a tree service in their yard all day removing about 5 GIANT pine trees. The sound of those chain saws all day was eerie. Deja vu. I'm glad to see the trees removed though since several were leaning so bad I could see them falling in the first winds. We just got our roof fixed last week and we're still waiting for gutter repair. I'll be praying for all of you in harms way and hope you come through unscathed. My brother will probably be coming in from Tampa. Best of luck to everybody!!

Terry:(

BitsyNaceyDog
07-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
:( I've been trying not to watch the news at all so I don't get overly excited. I hope Dennis stays away but last I did watch the news he "veered to the right" .. wrong way Dennis!

I haven't been watching the news ether, I stress out too much.

Terry- where are you?
Stay safe Amber, Kay and everyone else on the coast.

petslover
07-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Stay Safe everyone!

Kfamr
07-08-2005, 02:39 PM
There's a state of emergency for my county. :( And "recommended" evacuations for low-lying areas and mobile homes.

I ****ing hate this state so much. I want to get out of here, for good.

dukedogsmom
07-08-2005, 02:53 PM
I'm so glad I'm off this weekend or I would have had to show up for work. I'm already sick of these things and they just started.

luvofallhorses
07-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Stay safe everyone!

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-08-2005, 03:00 PM
There's a state of emergency for my county. :( And "recommended" evacuations for low-lying areas and mobile homes.

I ****ing hate this state so much. I want to get out of here, for good.

I understand you very well! I would be so terrified every time....!

Be safe, Florida!!

Samantha Puppy
07-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Last I heard, it was still slated to go to the west of Florida and hit the northern coast of the Gulf, along Mississippi and Alabama... Hope it doesn't change track and the state of emergencies are just for precaution...

Kfamr
07-08-2005, 03:07 PM
The predicted path is to go just west of us, but the storm is large and could easily cover all of Florida. We're going to get a lot of wind and rain here, which usually tornadoes join in on the fun.

Charley was supposed to do the same thing. Charley ran right across the state, just south of us.

gemini9961
07-08-2005, 03:29 PM
This guy has some winds with it. Yikes, he's got 145mph winds attached to him. Yep they are saying he'll stay to the west of us, but.....these things can change paths quickly. Like Kay said about Charley, he decided he wanted to make a sharp turn and hit Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda when he was supposed to come hit the Bay area. These things are still too unpredictable. He still has to get into the warm Gulf waters and then he might change his path big time. As far as I know I am going to work tonight...:eek: My work is about 1 mile or less from the Bay and Howard Frankland bridge. This sucks, I swear management has no sense about their employee's safety!!!!

petslover
07-08-2005, 03:46 PM
We might even feel this one! Yikes!

It is all over our news today that we might feel it. :eek:

CalliesMom
07-08-2005, 04:13 PM
I also am tired of this crap. It's due to hit us Sunday evening/Monday morning time frame. UGH>

Daisy and Delilah
07-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Kari, I'm just seeing this. I'm in Debary-30 miles from the east coast by Daytona Beach. The weather here has taken a turn for the worse. Thunderstorms all afternoon. Also, some gusty winds and heavy rain. Delilah is again, terrified. If we're having these conditions all the way over to the east coast, I can imagine what some of you are seeing over there on the west coast. Everybody hang in there and I pray that everyone is safe and sound. Keep us posted on weather conditions. After last year, we get scared if there's a storm coming close to anywhere in the state. I think we'll all be gun shy forever. I'm not ready to go through this again and I know I'm surely not alone. No word from my brother in Tampa yet-I hope he's ok. I'll call him shortly.

Terry

RobiLee
07-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Wishing you all the best and please be safe.

FizzGiggs_Mommy
07-08-2005, 04:34 PM
I hope all you you stay safe. And please if they say to leave Please leave. My father lives in Key largo and he like a dope is not leaving (He never does) Please keep him in our thoughts

momoffuzzyfaces
07-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Prayers for all of you in Dennis' path!

Stay safe everyone! The cats have all paws crossed too!

Chica
07-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Floridians, Please stay safe. :eek: I hope Dennis doesn't do any damage to all of you pt'ers. My prayers are with you!!!I hope all of you stay safe.

petslover
07-08-2005, 10:13 PM
yeah that is when we are suppose to feel it. Sunday night/ Monday.

I'm so nervous.

Karen
07-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Stay safe, everyone. Kay, you applying to colleges in the far north yet? ;)

Kfamr
07-09-2005, 01:26 AM
It's pouring and thundering here. :( I wish it wouldn't do this at night. I'd much rather it be during the day where I could "see" what's going on. :(

gemini9961
07-09-2005, 01:53 AM
It's raining here pretty good. Lightning real bad too. We must be getting those first rain bands as they are coming and going. I believe our coast Kay is in a Hurricane warning. :eek: I hope this stuff will let me get home safely later this morning as I have an hour ride home.

Watching the weather channel and wind gusts at MacDill are about 30 mph. :eek:

dukedogsmom
07-09-2005, 02:28 AM
Gemini, I think you and I get off at the same time in the morning? I get off at 7. Be careful going home. It's not too bad here, yet. Just a few sprinkles. I figure we'll get it late tomorrow. Good sleeping weather. Wish I could be doing some of that right now.

gemini9961
07-09-2005, 02:35 AM
Val, yep I get off at 7am. It has stopped raining here for now, but I know that it won't last long. I am supposed to be back at work tonight at 7pm, but we'll see how this weather goes. If it's real bad I really don't feel comfortable driving all the way into Tampa from my house in all that mess. Like I said I live an hour north of Tampa and I'd like the spare myself the drive if it's horrible conditions. I'll be super careful driving home this AM. :)

Amber

dukedogsmom
07-09-2005, 03:17 AM
Amber, I'm lucky enough to be off this weekend and Monday. Maybe you can stay home tonight.

gemini9961
07-09-2005, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
Amber, I'm lucky enough to be off this weekend and Monday. Maybe you can stay home tonight.

Ha!!! My company seems to think it's no big deal. I'll have to play it by ear and see what the weather looks like closer to me having to come to work. No management is here on the weekend so of course they don't care what happens. They need to care because we just can't close up and walk out. We have to make sure all of the tissue is out and taken to a local hospital so it doesn't get wasted. We are a 24/7 operation so closing up is not an option they like to do.

Ginger's Mom
07-09-2005, 06:28 AM
Thinking of everyone in Florida and along the Gulf. I hope no one gets a direct hit.

ChrisH
07-09-2005, 06:55 AM
Prayers going out for all that are in the path of the hurricane.

Cincy'sMom
07-09-2005, 09:21 AM
Stay safe everyone!

Kfamr
07-09-2005, 12:06 PM
It's very eerie out this morning. I'm surprised I got any sleep at all. I stayed up until 3 debating on whether not to sleep or to stay up worrying. I finally pulled all three dogs into bed with me and quickly fell asleep.

It's very windy and just dull outside. Leaves everywhere.
We're waiting for the next band to hit us. Hopefully when Dennis strengthens he doesn't decide to pay us a visit.

Kfamr
07-09-2005, 12:27 PM
We're getting a very bad band right now. :(

buckner
07-09-2005, 12:39 PM
I don't know how I missed this.

I do not live in Florida, but oh do I feel your pain! We're supposed to be getting hit all next week, and when we get hit, we're all going to be babies about it. It's going to be NOTHING like what's going on there.

Floridians, please stay safe. Keep your pets with you, and if they tell you to evacuate, PLEASE do so. All of you will be in my prayers.

Kfamr
07-09-2005, 12:46 PM
I have The Muttlies on their leashes and harnesses "just in case" It's really nasty here right now. :( Trying to keep my mind off it all.

We're in a tornado watch right now, and then a tornado warning until 4.

chocolatepuppy
07-09-2005, 01:51 PM
My prayers are with all of you.

gemini9961
07-09-2005, 07:51 PM
It's getting gusty here right now. However, I can still hear planes taking off from TIA so evidently it's still okay for them to be flying. I went through some nasty rain on the way to work tonight. It's supposed to be getting worse as the night goes on. If it gets to back I'm going home, who cares about work!!

Daisy and Delilah
07-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Well everybody, sure looks like a hurricane coming through here right now and we're not getting any warnings for anything on tv. I can't even locate a good report. The wind is blowing very badly and it's raining sideways. I am getting an upset stomach to look outside. I didn't even take in plants or secure anything so I'll probably find all my stuff next door tomorrow morning. I'm very very concerned about all you people on the other coast. You must all be terrified. Everybody stay safe and keep us updated if you don't lose power. I think ours might go at any minute. I'm thinking of everybody. Be careful!!

Terry

Kfamr
07-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Please stay safe, Amber & Terry.

It's been very gusty here all day. We have gotten very little rain.
Kiara just almost pooped in the pool because she was scared!!

She was outside and I was holding the screen door open. Well, She got scared and she came running in and started going again by the pool. She turns in circles before she poops and her butt was directly over the pool! I yelled for her to get outside and thankfully none came out! :p Poor girl was so scared though.

Pam
07-09-2005, 08:10 PM
KayAnn and other Floridians I am thinking of you constantly. My brother-in-law in the Keys sent me a picture of his parking lot this morning which he took on his cell phone. He has been without power since 10:00 p.m. last night. He said the rain and wind has been unbelievable even though Dennis never directly hit there.

This was taken around 11:00 am today - -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Belrip/Dennis.jpg

gemini9961
07-09-2005, 08:30 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: That pic yikes!!! We still have power at work but our phones have been coming and going. If the power goes out, I'm out.

Kfamr
07-09-2005, 08:49 PM
I keep wanting to just lay down and relax watching a TV show or something but i'm too scared to change it off the news now, not being able to see what's going on outside.

Daisy and Delilah
07-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Thank you Pam for posting that picture. My sympathy goes out to those folks down there in the Keys. They are such tiny, fragile islands, I don't know how they get through these things as well as they do. I saw pictures on the news of Key West earlier and it was unbelievable. We are still getting some very gusty winds and heavy rains intermittently. Daisy and Delilah are running to the windows and growling and barking at the trees whipping back and forth. They're scared to death and very confused about what's happening. Of course Delilah is trembling and panting from the thunder. On top of that, our neighbors are having another 4th of July celebration with the loud poppers between rain showers. It's going to be a verrrrrry long night. Stay safe Kay, Amber, Kari, and all Pet Talkers in the path of the storm. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you and your beloved furkids.

Terry

delidog
07-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Good Luck Panhandle People & their Pets
This is Now a Strong Cat.4 storm...winds 145 w/ gusts 160 M.P.H.
They say it is 5 to 10 times the Strength and Size of Ivan...
Hope you are all either Evacuated or Hunkered down by now...they say it will strike in about 3 to 4 hours...

My Thoughts and Prayers are with you all
Good Luck

Kfamr
07-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Nicole are you guys getting hit at all over there?

We still haven't had anything too bad *knock on wood* but whow knows if that'll change. Good luck to those of you who have to take care of the rest of Dennis for us.

My uncle lives in the panhandle and we're hoping he's out by now, or safe. Him and his wife Terry and their two dogs.

Kfamr
07-10-2005, 01:09 PM
I woke up to a palm tree in thrashing against my window making the most awful sound I've ever heard. Everything's still in it's place but the palm frawns (sp?) scared the crap out of me.

It's very windy and rainy here. Yesterday we barely got any rain at all, today our pool is over flowing!

Kfamr
07-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Very worried about my aunt and uncle now. I just got their exact location from my mother. They are going to take an almost direct hit. I'm sure they've probably already evacuated, but I'm also sure their home is going to take a beating.

The news guy said he was worried about Ohio - that it's already saturated and is probably going to recieve a lot of this rain.

Put your rain boots on PT'ers!

K9karen
07-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Nowhere is perfect, but, hey, Kay, Val, Amber, all of you, are welcomed here. You can just camp out here with me, Klo and John. It'll be fun and safer! Door's always open!

dukedogsmom
07-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Duke would love to see his girlfriend! We need to find good pics of both of them and put them in a scene together. I think that would be fun.

Lexi_Lover
07-10-2005, 10:47 PM
I'm sorry I haven't followed this PTers! I wish you all the luck and stay safe please! :( For those that can't make it in right now, becuase of protection for your families and pets, check in with us A.S.A.P! Prayers are being sent out now!

Kfamr
07-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Karen, you know i'd love that. You've been one of the people i've beeing hoping to meet for a while. And since you and Pam live pretty close, I could meet Pam, Bella, Ripley, Robyn, and Harlee!

I bet Klo is even prettier in person. ;)

There is a lot of debri in our yard, mosty just a bunch of sticks.
The only damage we got was a trellece(sp?) with a plant on it fell over and ripped the plant in half. I heard chainsaws this morning so i'm sure there's a few branches/trees down somewhere. Everyone was expecting the worse here.. there were houses boarded up and everything.

We got some sunshine today! Sunshine?! What's sunshine?!
My parents and I drove out to the beach. It was pretty amazing.
Here's two pictures from that. I didn't get any pictures of it, but you could see seaweed piles up to the road, so I know the water went up pretty high.
http://petevents.com/~simba/dennis1.jpg
http://petevents.com/~simba/dennis2.jpg

Karen
07-10-2005, 11:13 PM
Glad you and the muttlies are safe, - oh, and it's spelled "fronds" - palm fronds! I hope your uncle's house did well, people are saying because Dennis moved so much faster than Ivan did, that the damage wasn't as severe in some places.

All the Pet Talkers and those they love in Dennis' path are still in our prayers.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-11-2005, 04:52 AM
Thinking of what you poor folks are going through right now. Hope you are all safe and sound. Won't moan about UK weather for a while ;)

chocolatepuppy
07-11-2005, 05:06 AM
The news guy said he was worried about Ohio - that it's already saturated and is probably going to recieve a lot of this rain.

Ohio? Wonder what part of Ohio he was talking about? Our grass is dead here from lack of rain :confused:

gemini9961
07-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Well I'm checking in...all is well at my house. No damage done and no tree limbs/branches down. Just the ones from the other day when it rained (that wasn't even during a Hurricane)!! I had no internet at work Saturday night so I couldn't check in with everyone. Anywho, we got lucky again with this one. I do believe our luck will run out soon as we have been "lucky" for so long as to not get a direct hit on the Tampa Bay area. And yes, it's bright and sunny outside. Hope everyone else is okay.

Amber

delidog
07-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Sorry,
Didn't mean to ignore..My computer was down all day yesterday..
No we are only getting intermittent t-storms....
It looked as if by the time it hit land,that it dissipated a bit and was a Cat.3...Still nothing to ignore...
Kaye,I hope that your Uncle,Aunt and 2 pups are fine...in watching the news it looks as if everyone in the panhandle either evacuated or took proper shelter...
I saw where hotels were allowing people and their pets to at least stay in their lobbies for safety...thought that was nice of them...they didn't have rooms,but theres' alot of safe space in a lobby....
it looks like there was wind and rain damage,but sounds like the people were safe...

Hope Everybody up there is alright...

Pam
07-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Karen, you know i'd love that. You've been one of the people i've beeing hoping to meet for a while. And since you and Pam live pretty close, I could meet Pam, Bella, Ripley, Robyn, and Harlee!

I bet Klo is even prettier in person. ;)

KayAnn that would be soooo much fun. I was just telling Robyn what you said and we both decided that we would try and get you to help us pose our dogs with bones on their noses! LOL! :p In fact, Harlee starts obedience school on Thursday night and Robyn said she wouldn't even need to send her if you would come up! LOL!

Oh, and yes Klo is much prettier in person. She has the sweetest brown eyes! :)

petslover
07-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Well we didn't much as expected either. All we got is pretty much rain.

Kfamr
07-11-2005, 07:13 PM
My mom talked to my uncle Terry earlier today.
They said they are without power and cable, but no damage to their home. They didn't evacuate. Things weren't as bad as last hurricane because this time it moved by quikcly while the last hurricane was slower.

Thank gosh they're okay, and thanks to whoever was thinking of them. :)

Yes, Pam, I'd LOVE to help with Harlee's training! :p :D

delidog
07-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Yeah!!
Glad All is Well!!!
Yes, this was a Weird Hurricane...but Keep in mind there are 2 Tropical Storms Right Behind Dennis!!!

His Back Up, I Imagine!!!

K9karen
07-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Kay, Klo would love you! She's really a quick learner most of the time. Still a bit skittish with certain things, thanks to her previous owners, I think, but she's a lover. Pam, Robyn and I were going to try to get Harlee and Klo with bones on their noses but laughed instead!
Don't know your future plans, but there are some really nice colleges here, so you'd have a place to get acclaimented.
Good luck, sweet Harlee with your schooling! You're going to be the top student and the most irresistable!

Val, Duke and Klo would look so cute together! When Klo eats, she takes one or 2 kibbles first and walks away and drops them! I call it feeding her babies! She would have made the best mommy. Too bad.
Glad you all are safe. It sure was touch and go for awhile!

CamCamPup33
07-12-2005, 01:55 PM
I was worried about all of you other floridians... Ive been in Tennessee since the 29th, and just got home last night, so i had no access to the computer to check on you all. Glad to hear everyones okay...

We didn't get much of anything here. We just got the outer bands, which still did enough damage. (Our wood fence is down, a window was broken & branches were everywhere.) I can't imagine what it would be like if the hurricane actually hit us dead on. :eek:

Logan
07-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Amber, I'm glad you're ok! Hope all the furry ones are too, as well as the all important feathered one!!!!! ;) Dr. Fernandez asked me about him today, as a matter of fact, since he was with us on our last visit there! We went for a wing clipping for "Mama Milly" and Roger today.

Logan