PDA

View Full Version : My Two New Girls!! *6 Pics*

DogLover9501
07-07-2005, 06:57 PM
I got 2 Bearded Dragon girls today! I've been e-mailing a breeder for a little bit, and today the tank was the perfect heat and everything so I went and picked them up :)

Both girls:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/Robyn1012/Beardies/001.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/Robyn1012/Beardies/002.jpg

The lighter/chubby girl:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/Robyn1012/Beardies/003.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/Robyn1012/Beardies/004.jpg

Darker girl:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/Robyn1012/Beardies/005.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/Robyn1012/Beardies/006.jpg

I've had them for almost 2 hours, and it's so great already!

Lexi_Lover
07-07-2005, 07:19 PM
CONGRATS! They're very pretty! :D I'm sure they'll love their new home!

If you don't mind me asking, why do they have paper towel on the bottom of their tank? :p

DogLover9501
07-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Thanks Paula :D

Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
If you don't mind me asking, why do they have paper towel on the bottom of their tank? :p

All of the care sheets and things I have read says it's best to use paper towels or newspaper when they're babies :)

chocolatepuppy
07-07-2005, 08:18 PM
They're cute! Have you picked out names yet?

Lexi_Lover
07-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Oh! Hehe! Thats neat, do you know why? What would happen if they ate it? Sorry, I am very curious now! :p

IRescue452
07-07-2005, 09:53 PM
>Sending jealousy vibes<...oh, uh, I mean congrats. Got names yet? hey've always been my favorite lizard but I could never manage having a reptile of my own. I have too much bad luck with the exotic creatures.

CathyBogart
07-07-2005, 10:10 PM
They're lovely!! I can't wait to see pictures of them as they grow...and grow...and GROW over the next few months. *grin* They're very lucky to have such a wonderful home!

jesse_3
07-07-2005, 10:22 PM
CONGRATS!!! They are beauties!:D Oh, I love bearded dragons so much! What are their names?

Steph and Jes

DogLover9501
07-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Thanks so much everyone :D They're the best, so calm and sweet.

No names yet, would love suggestions ;)

Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
What would happen if they ate it? Sorry, I am very curious now! :p

Suposibly it's harmless, alot safer than sand as it could cause impaction. They haven't tasted it yet, which is surprising since they've tasted the plastic leaves and reptile vine already(just licked, not ate of course) such little piggies :p

BitsyNaceyDog
07-08-2005, 03:50 PM
They are so gorgeous!

Did you see this thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83191) of Cathy's? It may help a little.

luvofallhorses
07-08-2005, 07:39 PM
What cuties! Congrats! :)

DogLover9501
07-09-2005, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by KBlaix
Did you see this thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83191) of Cathy's? It may help a little.

Yes I've seen it and it's been very helpfull. I now know what substrate to use when they're adults ;) Thanks!

Karen
07-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Here is a list of Dragon Names (http://www.polenth.demon.co.uk/mod/favpern.html) from the Pern books.

I like Tallith and Alaranth, but there are many to choose from!

ramanth
07-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Congrats!! They are so cute. :D

EricLove
07-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Way to sweet. Goes to your house and brings one home !:p

puggywuggles41893
07-10-2005, 11:16 AM
They are very pretty!:D

Buddy Blaze Lover
07-10-2005, 02:08 PM
What pretty girlies!:D How old are they? And how big? Have you picked any names out yet??:D;) (sorry for all the questions!):rolleyes: ;)

tikeyas_mom
07-11-2005, 08:14 PM
wow they are very pretty...

how old are they?
are they from the same batch of eggs?

are you sure they are both female?
Some dragons develop & mature later than others, and some are a little obese and it can be difficult to distinguish the fat from the appropriate bulges. Chances are, if you've identified a baby as being male, it's 99% certain that it's a male. If you've identified a baby as being female, it simply might not have developed yet, and a lot of the time, they ultimately end up being male.

Males are strickly solitary, they become agressive and territorial even towards females... so be 100% positive you have two females lol.

The babies will soon outgrow the small tankand you will have to move up in size. An adult should not be in a less than 65 gallon.
Length is more important then hight. Beardies love to explore the ground, but they should also have some clean logs etc to bask on.

Siphoned Washed play sand, that can be found at most lumber stores or department stores, is a commen recommend substrate for older juveniles and adults. Sand is however a pain in the but to clean... it is also VERY dusty.

For young beardies stick with repti-carpet, or paper towel/newspaper. the only down-fall of papertowel and newspaper is that crickets tend to find a cozy home under these substrates.

Basking temperature should be 95-100F and the cooler area around 80F. Some dragons, especially young ones prefer it a bit warmer and that is fine as long as you make sure they stay misted or hydrated, but I advise not to allow them to basking over 110F.

At night all lights should be off and if your home temperature drops below 60F you can use a ceramic heat emitter or under tank heater. They need this cooling and dark period to rest well, constant high temperature can lead to an ill dragons and dehydration.

An appropriate size tank or enclosure, substrate that is not harmful to them, heat and light that meets their digestive needs, a basking area with hide when combined with good diet and supplements should result in a content, healthy pet with little problems
:D

DogLover9501
07-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Buddy Blaze Lover
How old are they? And how big? Have you picked any names out yet??:D;) (sorry for all the questions!):rolleyes: ;)

I don't mind questions :p They are 3 months old, and one is around 9 inches, the other is around 10(from nose to end of tail). No names yet :( Suggestions are welcome!

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
wow they are very pretty...

how old are they?
are they from the same batch of eggs?

are you sure they are both female?
Some dragons develop & mature later than others, and some are a little obese and it can be difficult to distinguish the fat from the appropriate bulges. Chances are, if you've identified a baby as being male, it's 99% certain that it's a male. If you've identified a baby as being female, it simply might not have developed yet, and a lot of the time, they ultimately end up being male.

Males are strickly solitary, they become agressive and territorial even towards females... so be 100% positive you have two females lol.

The babies will soon outgrow the small tankand you will have to move up in size. An adult should not be in a less than 65 gallon.
Length is more important then hight. Beardies love to explore the ground, but they should also have some clean logs etc to bask on.

Siphoned Washed play sand, that can be found at most lumber stores or department stores, is a commen recommend substrate for older juveniles and adults. Sand is however a pain in the but to clean... it is also VERY dusty.

For young beardies stick with repti-carpet, or paper towel/newspaper. the only down-fall of papertowel and newspaper is that crickets tend to find a cozy home under these substrates.

Basking temperature should be 95-100F and the cooler area around 80F. Some dragons, especially young ones prefer it a bit warmer and that is fine as long as you make sure they stay misted or hydrated, but I advise not to allow them to basking over 110F.

At night all lights should be off and if your home temperature drops below 60F you can use a ceramic heat emitter or under tank heater. They need this cooling and dark period to rest well, constant high temperature can lead to an ill dragons and dehydration.

An appropriate size tank or enclosure, substrate that is not harmful to them, heat and light that meets their digestive needs, a basking area with hide when combined with good diet and supplements should result in a content, healthy pet with little problems
:D

:eek: Wow, lots of information, Jynelle!

They are both 3 months old, and yes from the same clutch. The breeder said he could tell pretty accuratly, and said he was almost 100% sure they were both girls, and if not he could exchange them. I hope they're girls because I'd hate to bring them back now.

Their breeder is going to build me a big tank, good for 2 adults, around September when they're about 5 months. I've seen some that he's built and he does a good job.

I've decided I'm not going to use any sand at all, as theres always a risk. I'll probably use wheat bran or repti-carpet.

At this age I don't think the crickets have a chance to hide(they're such pigs :p), and if they do it wouldn't be for long, I put new papertowels every couple of days.

So I should turn all the lights off even at this age? I knew about that but I haven't been doing it yet. I'll do that tonight and just keep checking the temps.

Right now during the day the basking spot is usually anywhere from 100 F to 105+ F, and the other side is 80 F - 85 F.

GraciesMommy
07-11-2005, 10:04 PM
They are spectacular!
I vote they be named "Lucy & Ethyl"

petslover
07-11-2005, 11:10 PM
How cool..

What size tank do you have for them? just curious.

DogLover9501
07-12-2005, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by petslover
What size tank do you have for them? just curious.

Right now they're in a 33 gallon :) They'll be getting a bigger one in 2-3 months.

tikeyas_mom
07-12-2005, 01:51 PM
So I should turn all the lights off even at this age? I knew about that but I haven't been doing it yet. I'll do that tonight and just keep checking the temps.

I would say turn off the lights at night.. they can easily over heat with more then 12 hours of light a day. plus dragons tend not to know their limit when basking. so they tend to get burns etc.

K9soul
07-12-2005, 02:34 PM
They are gorgeous!! I just love reptiles. I would love to have turtles or lizards someday myself. I've enjoyed reading all the info here too :).

DogLover9501
07-14-2005, 12:28 PM
Thanks! :)

Jess-I hope you do get to have turtles/lizards someday :)