PDA

View Full Version : They made me get rid of Tess

purrley
02-18-2002, 06:41 AM
Yesterday I got a letter from the Board of Directors where I live that I was going to get charged an additional 3 dollars a day for every day I had too many animals. This has all come about since I got my dog Tess so yesterday I returned her to the lady I bought her from. I'm devastated and now there's the concern about my cats. There is no way I can choose who goes and who stays out of my 4 cats - I just don't know what I'm going to do except move and that will take time. Right now I'm going to lie and say I've rehomed them and see if they'll leave me alone. I miss my Tess - we were just starting to get to know each other and I had her potty trained:( :( :(

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-18-2002, 06:52 AM
Oh Purrley, what horrible news! I am so sad that you had to give Tess up. If you move, can you get her back? Is there anyway someone could help take care of your pets till you found another place to move to? I am sure you are devestated. Please know that we are all thinking of you in this very difficult time.

Hugs...

Former User
02-18-2002, 07:06 AM
Oh no Purrley, I'm so sad because of this, yet I'm also SO MAD :mad: because some people can't accept animals! I hope you can move somewhere else soon and get Tess back, I'm sure you miss her dearly :( I wish I could help somehow.
Just stay strong ok?

Pam
02-18-2002, 07:07 AM
Purrley I could hardly believe the subject of this post when I just read it!! I agree with Doggies Are The Best. Is there someone who could keep your kitties (friend's/relative's house??) until you find a new place for yourself and could you possibly get Tess back then? Oh what a horrible, horrible thing to have to deal with. I am sure poor little Tess is so confused and you must be heartsick! :(

Logan
02-18-2002, 08:05 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I think you told us before that you own a townhouse, right Purrley? I know it will take time to show and sell it, but I swear I'd have it listed immediately. Wouldn't want to live around people who get upset over a tiny dog like Tess. I know your heart is broken, but think things through carefully and see if there is a way to work it out so that if you do move, you can get your little Tess back.

Gosh, this is such a shock this morning. :( I can't imagine how you're dealing with it. I will keep you in my prayers and hope for better days soon. :)

purrley
02-18-2002, 08:08 AM
Yes Logan - I do own a townhouse and it will take time to sell it and find somewhere else to live. Thank you all for prayers and encouragement during this awful time for me you're all such wonderful people. I'm going to get in touch with the real estate agent today.

C.C.'s Mom
02-18-2002, 08:13 AM
What a sad story! I can't believe this. I hope you'll be able to turn this horrible situation into a positive one. Is moving a possibility for you? There might be nice people around who can foster the cats until you find a better place to live for you, Tess and the cats. I'm so sorry for you and wish you good luck.

ellensy
02-18-2002, 08:53 AM
This is so horrible! Wish you all the luck and hope that everything will be fine.

aly
02-18-2002, 09:16 AM
There's a possibility that there may be a rescue group near you that would be willing to foster your animals (and Tess if you could get her back) until you were able to move. A rescue group in Austin did it for a woman who came in to the shelter desperate for help. I just started calling the groups and got a contact from one of them of someone who would do it.

I'm really sorry about all this, but perhaps it can work out to where you can move soon and be able to keep everyone.

Gio
02-18-2002, 10:15 AM
I'm so sorry for you, you must be devastated. I don't understand why they create such a fuss if you own the place. I will pray that you will be able to get sorted out very soon and that you can be reunited with all your pets. I wish I could help out more :(

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-18-2002, 10:37 AM
Gio, that is what I was wondering!

If you are the owner, purrely, then why is it their business? Are your pets disturbing your neighbors? Is there a handbook or some kind of rule book that your townhouse complex is going by? I wouldn't give up on this, purrley!

What you are going through is horrible! Unless there is something in writing stating that you can't have pets or that limits the number of pets you can own, I see no reason you should give up any cats or Tess or even have to move!

Perhaps you could explain on what grounds did the Board make a decision like that.

purrley
02-18-2002, 10:52 AM
Souraya - yes there is a document that says I cannot have more than one pet in my condo. It is enforced by the Board of Directors and normally no one would be harassed unless complaints are made. Obviously someone has it out for me which I know it's my neighbor across the street, the one I called animal control on who beat his dog and also the woman who lives next door to him who got pissed off because she accused Panda of peeing on her tomato plants last spring. See I live in what they call an Urban Developed Area which is governed by the Board. This is my problem - I cannot fight this. Normally people are just left alone, there are lots of people in my area that have more than one pet. I warned some other neighbors about their 3 cats the other day. Told them the Neighborood Pet Nazi is on the prowl and they better watch out that their cats don't wander because I walked to the mailbox with this women Carma across the street and she wanted to know who owned all the orange cats because she said they're peeing in her planter box. I told her under no circumstance that I would rat on one of my neighbors and suggested she get a life and leave people alone. Then I went over to the neighbors that have the orange cats and told them about it.

jennifert
02-18-2002, 11:18 AM
Purrley, this is absolutely awful news! I'm so sad and upset and angry for you!! I could not believe the topic either when I saw it!! Tess cannot be gone...just like that! We have to do something! Move, move, move! And do it ASAP! Call the media! They're all over the place in your city right now! Can you get out quick and sublet your place until you can buy something else? Or are there rules about that too!?
I'm so sorry and I hope and pray that something good will happen! Keep us posted!

Jennifer

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-18-2002, 11:22 AM
I see. Now I understand the situation a bit better. Your neighbors do need to get a life or take up a hobby or something! So what if someone's pet peed on the plants! Or the tomamtos! They have to washed before you can eat them anyway! I swear some people.....

Best of luck in finding a new place to live, if that is what you decide to do. Maybe you can find some friends or relatives to help take care of the cats and Tess till you find somewhere else!

aly
02-18-2002, 01:01 PM
Another thing you can do is put up fliers in vet offices and pet stores that you need a foster home for Tess (or the cats) and you will be providing all food, supplies, medical expenses, etc. Maybe someone will feel your pain and want to foster for you.

purrley
02-18-2002, 01:03 PM
Tess is gone and I wouldn't trust anyone with my cats.

AmberLee
02-18-2002, 02:23 PM
Oh Lord!!! What a shock! Do keep us informed...

{{{Purrley and the furbabies}}}

Amber

Sudilar
02-18-2002, 03:25 PM
I'm so sorry. I hope that something turns up in your favor. Poor Tess! I feel so bad!

wolflady
02-18-2002, 04:08 PM
Oh Purrley, I was so ticked off when I read your post:mad: Why can't people mind their own business, you know?? Especially since all of your animals are well taken care of and are inside. It just frosts my cookies that just because you turned in someone for abusing his dogs(which is a very good reason to do so!)...that he and the annoying neighbor would turn you in because of....what??? Taking care of your animals!! I really do think it stinks when complexes limit the number of animals you can keep...and in some circumstances I can understand that. But 4 cats and a really small dog don't seem like that big of a deal to keep in a townhome. Especially since they are well taken care of and you have the means to provide for them all. I am so steamed I can hardly see straight. I really hope you can find a different place to live. Get on the internet and look for some pet-friendly rentals. I've been looking at my online newspaper for myself and have found it a useful place to look. You may also want to check craigslist.org. I know I have seen a list of pet friendly locations and rentals before on the internet, so I'll look for it and send it to you also. That may be an option for you for awhile. I just would not like to be surrounded by nosy busy-bodies that have nothing better to do then cause trouble for you. It annoys me that so many people and places can't see the benefits of having furbabies, and makes it difficult on those of us that need and want them in our lives. **hugs** I am keeping you and your precious fur-family in my thoughts and prayers:(

aly
02-18-2002, 04:29 PM
How is Tess gone? The woman rehomed her already? You're not going to ask for her back? If I were you, I'd call the lady and get the dog back by any means possible.

I wouldn't trust anyone with my cat either, but if it came down to it and it was the only thing I could do to keep her, I'd have to do it.

Crikit
02-18-2002, 04:51 PM
man this sucks. Hopefully you'll be able to work things out soon, and find some way of getting Tess back. Just remember you have something that those people who complained don't and that's animals that love you.:)

AdoreMyDogs
02-18-2002, 05:01 PM
I am so, so sorry. What a terrible thing to have happen :( I hope all goes well in the end and you can somehow get Tess back. That's absolutely terrible.

ilovehounds
02-18-2002, 05:15 PM
Im so sorry this has happened to you, but I agree with Aly 100% I would die for my babies and if fostering them for a short time was what I had to do to keep them I woudn't think twice. I would try and get Tess back and foster them.

tatsxxx11
02-18-2002, 05:52 PM
Oh Purrley, I am speechless! And so very sad for you:( I hope that you might find someone to care for some of your babies while you arrange a move. And of course, I hope and pray that you and little Tess will be reunited very soon. Do you think the woman will "hold" her for you?? I would call her right away before she rehomes her!! Maybe you could pay a nominal boarding fee while you arrange your sale and perhaps find a permanent foster home for the kids until you are situated? I am heartsick!

shais_mom
02-18-2002, 06:58 PM
I will keep you in my thoughts and hope you can get this resolved. I also hope you can get Tess back.
This is just awful! My heart breaks for you.

lizbud
02-18-2002, 08:17 PM
Purrley,

I am so sorry to hear about Tess.. What a hateful
group (condo association) you have to live with!!!

I think your commitment to Tess supercedes any Condo
rules. Sounds like they won't give up until they willow down
your pets until you have the one or two they will accept.

I am so sorry for what they are putting you through
right now !!! I really don't think I could ever live peacefully
in a enviroment like that without harboring a very deep
resentment about my so-called "neighbors".

You & Tess & Kitties are in my thoughts and prayers...

sammi
02-18-2002, 09:57 PM
Purrley, How awful!!! I will pray that you can find a temp home for your cats and also that you can get Tess back when your ready. I hope you sell your townhouse to some real rowdy people and they drive your so called neighbors nuts.

This is really terrible thing to happen I can't even imagine how you are handeling it. In the end you will win and things will turn for the better so keep that in mind.:eek: :eek:

purrley
02-20-2002, 06:42 AM
Thanks all for your kindness. I took yesterday off so I just now read the posts from yesterday - I hadn't eaten or slept for 2 days and I was exhausted. I've decided to stand my ground against the Board and keep all my family in tact until I decide that moving would be the best thing to do. Turns out that the whole condo community is pissed off about this whole thing - I'm not the only one by all means so maybe this will just blow over. The lady who has Tess is a relative of my son in law (sister) and she said she'll hang onto Tess as long as she can - till I can sort this all out so there's hope that I may be able to bring her back. Thanks again everyone for your encouragement and kind words - it sure does help in such a devastating time.

Former User
02-20-2002, 06:59 AM
I'm glad to hear you're not the only one who's pissed off there, and as you said, hopefully the situation will just go away. I sure hope from the bottom of my heart that you can keep your cats with you, and have Tess back too!

Gio
02-20-2002, 07:34 AM
I'm glad to hear you're not the only one who's pissed off there, and as you said, hopefully the situation will just go away. I sure hope from the bottom of my heart that you can keep your cats with you, and have Tess back too!

The same goes for me. Couldn't you get together with the other people who are clearly annoyed by this whole thing and confront the board?

purrley
02-20-2002, 07:40 AM
Gio - I think there's an uprising in the mill:)

purrley
02-20-2002, 08:28 AM
Right now it looks like that could very well happen and as far as the Board is concerned - I think we have a very cruel and callous bunch of people and I don't think they'd care:(

wolflady
02-20-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by SpencerTheLion
...how would the Board of Directors feel if a bunch of "For Sale" signs went up?

This is a good point!!! But, like you said Purrley....if they're a bunch of freaking close-hearted people...they probably wouldn't care...it would be neat though, to get a bunch of people that feel the same way about the whole thing together, and put some signs out in front just to see how they(the board) would react! HA! I'm glad that you're not alone though. I sure hope this thing blows over and you can get Tess back and have everything get back to normal. People like your neighbor just need to mind their own @#$% business. You and your animals aren't bothering anyone. I'm sure glad that the lady is going to hold on to Tess for ya!! I sure hope this is sorted out, or you find a new place to live!! I'm thinking about ya! **hugs**
Karen

mugsy
02-20-2002, 12:11 PM
purrley...I will be thinking of you..You should move to Fort Wayne, there is no limit to the number of animals you can own, so long as all but 3 of them are spayed or neutered. I'm sorry for your loss..keep us updated.

Albea
02-20-2002, 12:48 PM
Oh Purrley! I'm so sorry for you:( I only saw your posting now, I had gallbladder surgery yesterday and was unable to seat at the computer.
At least Tess is in a good home now, and if this woman agrees to keep her until you can solve your problems, you'll be together again. Aly is right, you may be able to get some shelter to take the kitties for a while, even though that may not sound like the best alternative to you.
I wish you can find a quick way of getting out of there and away from those horrible people :mad:
My thoughts are with you.

AmberLee
02-20-2002, 02:13 PM
!!! {{{Alicia/Albea}}}!

Surgery yesterday and you're back at the computer already? :confused: :eek: One of my friends had that surgery a couple weeks back and is still in tons of distress/discomfort. Don't overdo, okay???

Holding you in my thoughts and prayers!

sammi
02-20-2002, 03:12 PM
You had Gallbladder surgery yesterday and your home on the computer????? When my girlfriend had it she was still IM shots for at least 3 days after and in the hospital for about a week.:eek:
Still thinking of you Purrley and hope it works out.

Logan
02-20-2002, 04:45 PM
I think these posts are a testament to Albea's devotion to this site!!! :)

Albea (Alicia) and Carina....you guys, take care of yourself, first.

Get yourself better.

Love,
Logan

lizbud
02-20-2002, 07:22 PM
Alicia,

Prayers for a quick and successful recovery. Think
this just goes so show what a kind heart you have,
and a deep abiding love of animals & people.
Bless you. Liz.

AmberLee
02-20-2002, 07:31 PM
Purrley,

How are you doing? Any progress working within the group of disatisfied owners?

Moving is such a pain/trying to sell and all. I hope it doesn't come to that, but whatever will bring you and your 5 furbabies peace in your own home...

Good luck.

purrley
02-21-2002, 06:36 AM
Amberlee - I'm hanging in there - I did have to let Tess go. She's in a loving home so I'm happy about that. As far as my 4 cats go, they will remain with me till the day they die no matter what happens. I've had them for a very long time and there is no possible way I could ever choose among them who stays and who goes so they will all remain forever with me!!!! I don't know what the Board will do with me, but whatever they do, they do and I'm at the point I really don't care because not only will they not make me get rid of any of the cats, but they will not force me out of my home either. Thanks for all who's concerned and Amberlee - I see you're spending as much time as me on this site:D :D - over 1000 WOW:eek:

Albea
02-21-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
!!! {{{Alicia/Albea}}}!

Surgery yesterday and you're back at the computer already? :confused: :eek: One of my friends had that surgery a couple weeks back and is still in tons of distress/discomfort. Don't overdo, okay???

Holding you in my thoughts and prayers!

AmberLee,Logan,Liz and Sammi:
Thank you for your thoughts and good wishes. I had a laparoscopy and was in and out of the hospital in 5 hours. I will not say that I have no pain, but is not bad enough to keep me away from this board. Besides, I've learned from my dogs that one recovers better and in less time if one doesn't feel sorry for oneself.;)

Logan
02-21-2002, 12:32 PM
You are too brave, Alicia, but I don't blame you!! Hug Carina for us and take good care of yourself. I hope you will be feeling better in no time. :)

Love,
Logan, Honey and Lilly

Dixieland Dancer
02-21-2002, 02:20 PM
Alicia,
Prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery.
Candy

lizbud
02-21-2002, 06:03 PM
Alicia,

Just wanted to say that I agree 100%. Our animals
teach us soooo much more that we could ever repay.
Hang in there, rest up, and feel better soon. Liz.