PDA

View Full Version : Terrorists Bomb London

Lexi_Lover
07-07-2005, 07:21 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

This came to me, and hit me so hard!
----------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, July 7, 2005; Posted: 8:18 a.m. EDT (12:18 GMT)

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Four explosions in London's transport system have killed at least two people and wounded dozens more in what UK Prime Minister Tony Blair said was an apparent terrorist attack.

More fatalities were sure to follow -- emergency services personnel told CNN that a rescue operation at Kings Cross station had successfully evacuated all survivors, leaving dead below ground "in the double digits."

Three of the blasts took place in the city's subway system and one more hit a double-decker bus, all at the height of rush hour.

International SOS, an international medical emergency service, reported that the police had found explosive traces in at least one of four confirmed blast locations.

Hospital officials have reported at least 160 wounded. London transit officials shut down the entire Underground and stopped buses in the central city district.

"We are dealing with large numbers of casualties," he said, "and we believe a number of fatalities."

Blair, in Scotland where he is hosting the G8 summit, told reporters he would leave the summit for a "face to face" report in London and then return later in the evening.

"It's reasonably clear there have been a series of terrorist attacks in London," Blair said. "There are obviously casualties, both people that have died and peole that are seriously injured.

Blair said it was "also reasonably clear" that the attacks were timed to coincide with the opening of the summit.

"It's particularly barbaric that this has happened on a day when people are meeting to try to help the problems of proverty in Africa and the long-term problems with the environment," he said. (Full text)

A White House spokesman said President Bush is aware of the explosions and had been in briefings with Blair all morning.

Despite calls from officials to stay home, however, Londoners were on the streets except in areas where they were barred by police.

Police cordoned off areas around six stations in and around the city's center and financial area and brought in sniffer dogs to check the areas.

Telephone traffic -- particularly by cell phone -- was nearly impossible. London's largest cellular provider, Vodaphone, said it had devoted much of its network to emergency services, causing the problems with subscribers.

London's police chief said the explosions, which began at about 8:50 a.m. (3:50 a.m. ET), certainly appeared coordinated.

One man, with blood streaming down the left side of his face from a wound on his temple, said he didn't "want to live through it again."

"I was in the front carriage and people were severely injured there," he said, dispassionately, adding that his train had been in the tunnel between Kings Cross and Russell Square. "I heard, but I don't know, that people were hurt worse further back. "Some people were very calm, others very panicky."

"There was a very loud bang, the lights went out, the carriage filled with smoke," he said. "We were all thrown forward."

Another man, clearly shaken by his experience, described being on a smoke-filled carriage on the same train, he and his fellow passengers afraid to try to leave the train.

"We were all trapped like sardines waiting to die," said Angelo Power. "I honestly thought I was going to die, as did everyone else."

A police spokesman urged Londoners to "stay where you are."

"There's no way to travel around London at the moment," he said.

"There is a London emergency plan," he said. "It has been put into effect. It is being coordinated by the Metropolitan Police, and that's about all I can say at the moment."

Scotland Yard sent out a notice saying that "public transport in London will be affected in the next few days."

Claire Burroughs, spokeswoman for St Mary's Hospital in central London, told CNN the hospital was on "major incident alert." Four patients were critically injured, eight were seriously injured and 14 others were being treated for minor injuries, she said.

"The types of injuries we are seeing include limb damage, burns, cuts, breaks, head injuries and chest problems due to smoke inhalation," Burroughs said.

London Hospital said it received 95 patients, most with minor injuries. Ten, however were listed in serious condition and seven in critical condition as well as "numerous with significant orthopedic injuries requiring immediate surgery."

CNN cameraman Oran O'Reilly said he has seen seven of the city's famed double-decker buses as well as police cars and ambulances arriving with casualties.

Another hospital told CNN it had taken in 40 wounded.

British Home Secretary Charles Clarke said the explosions took place between Russell Square and Kings Cross Underground; near the Moorgate, Aldgate and Liverpool Street stations Underground; and the Edgware Road station.

The fourth explosion on a bus just outside Tavistock Hotel.

London Metropolitan Police, British Transport Police and London's fire brigade are investigating, according to Scotland Yard.

O'Reilly, who was at Aldgate station, saw passengers coming out of it with signs of smoke inhalation -- black smudges around their mouths and noses.

"They're pushing people away from the tube (train) station," O'Reilly said. "Police are telling us to evacuate the street."

Also at Aldgate, CNN producer Roger Clark said he had seen people with blood running down their faces, with many others looking stunned.

An eyewitness who was on a train told Clark the car in front of him exploded and then the the train tunnel filed with smoke.

Separately, the London Fire Service said it was responding to a report of an explosion on a bus at Russell Square. Chamberlin heard a loud explosion in central London. Witnesses told him they saw a heavily damaged double-decker bus.

Copyright 2005 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.

-----------------------------------------------------

Let us pray, that the people who are hurt are healed as soon as possible and that the 2 people so far that have died, be revived up in Heavan. But most of all, let us pray for the PTers over in London, that they are all ok! :(

Lexi_Lover
07-07-2005, 07:22 AM
The worst part is for me, that my sister and father went there last year at this time. What would have happened if they went this year instead! :eek: :(

lbaker
07-07-2005, 07:29 AM
The reprecussions are being seen worldwide. The DC Metro system is on full alert with police with machine guns and dogs. DC is not on code red as yet but everyone here is anxious and on personal alert :( We can't get hold of anyone in our UK office by phone or email. Horrible, just horrible :(

elizabethann
07-07-2005, 07:33 AM
Don't we have some PTers from London? I think we do. I hope they are all okay.

Corinna
07-07-2005, 07:36 AM
I am joining you in prayer for them all.

popcornbird
07-07-2005, 07:56 AM
I just woke up to this news and am sitting here with tears streaming down my cheeks. I am absolutely SICK of innocent people being killed in this world, SICK of innocent blood being spilled, and SICK of these moronic, coward terrorists that all need to rot in hell. What do they gain from killing innocent people? :mad::mad:

I'm worried sick right now. My dad's side of the family all lives in London......I have TONS of relatives there, and they all ALWAYS go on the subway. :( Dear God, please let them be alright.

I guess right now, all we can do is pray for the innocent people affected by this. What a tragedy. Rot in hell terrorists, rot in hell. :mad:

JenBKR
07-07-2005, 07:57 AM
I heard about that on Good Morning America...What a horrible thing (and it brings back memories...) My thoughts and prayers are with everyone going through this horrible tragedy

furrykidsmother
07-07-2005, 08:06 AM
I heard it on Good Morning America too! It is shocking and way to familiar of 911 and the threats made afterwards. My heart and prayers go out to everyone. What a senseless tragedy!

Pawsitive Thinking
07-07-2005, 08:53 AM
I did a thread "London" http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/uk/2005/london_explosions/default.stm

this will show you the entire story. It has spread throughout the UK.

JenBKR
07-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Are there any PTers from London? I thought there were a few from that area

chrangharris
07-07-2005, 08:56 AM
This is so awful! We are praying for everyone in London right now!

Lexi_Lover
07-07-2005, 09:15 AM
There are many from London. I think William(vinjashira) does as well as Brody's Mum, who lives close.

There are 12 people found, but about 40 presumed dead. :(

Pawsitive Thinking
07-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Thankfully I'm 60 miles away but it is still too close to home

JenBKR
07-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
There are many from London. I think William(vinjashira) does as well as Brody's Mum, who lives close.

There are 12 people found, but about 40 presumed dead. :(

OMG last I heard there were only 2 known dead. I heard that pretty early though. I am praying hard for you guys and your families/loved ones. This is a horrible thing you are going though. Why would someone do this?? :confused: :confused:

ramanth
07-07-2005, 09:28 AM
I heard about it on the radio on my way to work. :( :(

Many prayers for all those hurt or looking for family and friends.

I hope all the PT'ers and their families and friends are okay.

*HUGS*

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-07-2005, 10:14 AM
This is all so HORRIBLE......:( . All I can think of is "WHY ???????

Poppy, I will pray for your family! Let's hope that noweone is hurt....:(

moosmom
07-07-2005, 10:21 AM
OMG!! :eek: My first thought was with Lynne Stankard! I pray to God everyone is alright.

I'm sitting in the library right now on the computer fighting back tears! This is SO awful!! Why can't these people just stop this! :mad: What did we do to deserve this???

LeahMM
07-07-2005, 10:26 AM
prayers and good wishes to all of our UK friends. That is a horrible tragedy.

I just had to take my stepdaughter to the train station so this weighs quite heavy with me. Of course, being a teenager, she doesn't care.

JenBKR
07-07-2005, 10:29 AM
My prayers are with you moosmom. I don't think ANYONE deserves this, it's the terrorists with their warped sense of reality...who knows why they did it? I don't understand AT ALL how someone could do something like that to ANYONE.

momoffuzzyfaces
07-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Lots of prayers on the way from me too!:(

CountryWolf07
07-07-2005, 10:37 AM
WOW... this is nuts, absolutely nuts! They all are in my thoughts.. I don't understand people and our world anymore.

LeahMM
07-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Great! Now they've raised the US terror alert to Orange.

Muddy4paws
07-07-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm from london, the station close to me was closed off for security reasons and the buses were stopped for most of the day and we got sent home from work just incase, We was listening to it on the radio all day, Did anyone see that bus that got blown up? It terrified me I had plans of going to Oxford street with my boyfriend and I was so shaken up when I heard because we would of been on that tube, I hope everyone and everyones families in London are ok and well, the police are saying everyone has done so well today with dealing with it and that they are proud of londoners and the services for how they are dealing with it all :(

ChrisH
07-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Muddy4paws
... the police are saying everyone has done so well today with dealing with it and that they are proud of londoners and the services for how they are dealing with it all :(
Me too.

Glad you are safe. {{hugs}}

lynnestankard
07-07-2005, 11:16 AM
A terrible day - we to have friends there and luckily everyones OK.

Diane phoned just to check we're OK - 'cos Elizabeth's been down to London quite a bit lately - she was at the Live 8 concert last Saturday - I keep thinking - thank God it wasn't last weekend - the place was fully to bursting.

M4Paws - sorry we haven't chatted before - I've been missing a long time, just so pleased to hear your OK and at least your firm had the sense to send you home early. I was watching Sky News earlier and the taxi queues were miles long! I only hope ordinary motorists think on and give people lifts.

My heart goes out to everyone hurt but nothing but praise for the emergency services - they are heros.

Lynne

Muddy4paws
07-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks ChrisH {{Hugs}}

LynneStankard - The ques for the taxi's and cabs are huge I think they are starting up some of the public transports now to try and get people on their way but I dont think much will change for at least a few hours yet, Its meant to be like a traffic stand still in central London. My boss wanted us out of the shop as soon as possible today just incase anything else happened at least we can stay in now and keep out of the way, I think the emergency services are doing a fantastic job and they really are hero's as you said

catcrazylady
07-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Thank God you guys are ok!
This is so horrible and my heart is breaking for everyone in London.
PCB special prayers that you hear from your family soon and everyone is safe.

Prayers to ALL!!

petslover
07-07-2005, 11:41 AM
I know. I heard it on the radio this morning and then watched it on television. It is heartbreaking. Prayers are with everyone in London.

Killearn Kitties
07-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Glad you are safe at home Muddy4Paws. A lot of people face a long journey home tonight.

popcornbird
07-07-2005, 12:20 PM
I just heard from my aunt in London, and she said everyone is fine. Her daughter wasn't at home and is 'stuck' outside (having a hard time getting home due to the situation), but she's alright. Another one of my cousins said she was going to go on that particular train that exploded, but changed her mind at the last moment and went by car. Thank God she didn't go. They're all shaken up but otherwise fine. What a relief!

Gosh, what a terrible situation. My poor cousin has been stuck outside for hours, because she was supposed to return home on the Subway, but now her dad is driving there to pick her up, through the intense traffic.

JenBKR
07-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Popcornbird - thank GOD they are all ok!

Anita Cholaine
07-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Oh my God, this is so terrible!:( I woke up in the morning and I heard in the radio that there were 2 dead...now they are saying that the dead are 37....
This doesnt affect me very much, like others of you who have friends or relatives in London, but I'm just so tired of this kind of things....
I'm glad that all of you are right... I'm sending my prayers to London...

carrie
07-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Latest figures are that 37 have died, 700 injured, 45 seriously or critically.
There have been several other incidents around the country - two controlled explosions in Edinburgh for instance.
Emergency services have been outstanding.

Muddy4paws
07-07-2005, 01:43 PM
The hospitals near my house have been put on standby and I've heard its still bad traffic in London, I feel so sorry for everyone out there :( I just wish it would all just stop its causing so much trouble to the innocent people that have no choice in the big decisions so why should they have to suffer? :( I'm glad to hear everyones families and friends are all doing good

NoahsMommy
07-07-2005, 01:45 PM
My initial reaction was anger and then worry for all the people of the UK. I'm so glad to see everyone is pulling together and being strong.

Stupid, idiotic terrorists...you can't bring down great nations! (lots of non-family words!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: )

Prayers going out to everyone.

Stay Strong!!

K9soul
07-07-2005, 02:09 PM
I was so shocked and horrified when I heard about this first thing this morning :(. I feel angry, frightened, deeply saddened and discouraged, all at once. All the people and their families are in my most heartfelt prayers, and candles will also be lit for them. Also a special prayer going out for all you PTers in the area, what a traumatic and frightening time for you :(

popcornbird
07-07-2005, 02:40 PM
I just talked to my cousin on the phone. She got home after walking for 8 miles, then taking a taxi, and then having her father pick her up from where she was. It took hours, obviously. She is studying to be a pharmacist and was at the hospital volunteering at the time of the attack. She said she was stuck at the hospital for quite awhile, and while she was there, 400 victims were admitted due to injuries. She had to help them bring in some of the injured patients, and is just shaken after witnessing all this. :( She said one of her good friends was on the 2nd story of the double decker bus that exploded, and while she is fine, she is a little injured.

This just hits too close to home. I can't believe my cousin witnessed all that. She's freaked out. Thank God everyone in my family is alright. Prayers for everyone in London, and 'curses' :mad: for the evil terrorists. :mad:

I can't imagine the chaos in London right now. :(

Suki Wingy
07-07-2005, 03:54 PM
oh, sorry I didn't see this thread. I started another about my cousins in London now.

luvofallhorses
07-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Why can't they just stop this? :( :mad:

anna_66
07-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Glad to hear that some of the UK people have checked in and that everyone's families are ok.
I'll be praying that everyone else's family is ok.

Such senseless violence:(

Vio&Juni
07-07-2005, 04:51 PM
We already got flowers at the Embassy today from people. I am sure, next morning when we go to work, there will be plenty in front of the Embassy. Everyone is horrified!

I am still going to go to London in two weeks.

bluekat
07-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Ugh what is this world coming to!?!? :(:mad: This is really frightening..

I really don't know what else to say.

My prayers are with all those who were affected by this:(

Karen
07-07-2005, 06:20 PM
I am so glad to see our UK Pet Talkers posting, checking in with us. I am glad you are safe, glad Popcornbird that your family members are safe, and hope the people who did this are caught and justice is brought to bear.

As I mentioned in another thread, my boss and coworkers are in London right now, leading a group of girls on a summer writing program. Every one of them is safe, we had a busy day today reassuring family members that their daughters were okay. Thank goodness for email, so we could find out they were okay before anyone could be in telephone contact.

Lexi_Lover
07-07-2005, 06:58 PM
From what I heard not too long ago, they have found 34 dead, and now again persumed, many more! :(

sandragonfly
07-07-2005, 07:10 PM
agh, I hate it when I can't hear (TV, radio, etc)...I just read this.. :(

I just thought the same thing I thought daily..what is these with people?!? :( :confused: :(

glad you london people, friends and relatives are okay! and hope the dead toll will stop really soon.

sending my sympathy hugs out to people who have suffered and/or worried.

Chica
07-07-2005, 08:15 PM
I hope all the PT'ers are Okay! It was so terrible what happened!!! :( My prayers are with those people.

chocolatepuppy
07-07-2005, 08:42 PM
The people of London will be in my thoughts and prayers.

RICHARD
07-07-2005, 09:04 PM
I thought about the concert last weekend and was glad that there was no incidents there.

I do believe that the security around that venue may have had something to do with it and the speed in which the concert was put together didn't leave much time for planning an attack there.

Historically these mokes won't go for events like that.

They are more interested in disrupting the 'daily routine'..

These idiots are smart but they also left two devices unexploded....something wrong there.

Lexi_Lover
07-07-2005, 09:19 PM
I want to know, what they're thinking in their heads while they're doing this!!?!? :mad: :mad: :mad:

bluekat
07-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
I want to know, what they're thinking in their heads while they're doing this!!?!? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Its really sad that there are those kinds of..people in our world. Argh I really can't imagine why they would do something like this:mad: For "revenge"?? geez.

K9karen
07-07-2005, 11:59 PM
Those fanatics have no regard for human life, and it's always the innocent people who suffer. I'm so relieved to read that everyone's friends and families are OK. The beautiful folks in the UK stood by and comforted us when we experienced 9/11 and it's our turn to do the same. Many hugs and prayers to you, our super mates. We all have to be strong and not let those bastards get to us!

Pawsitive Thinking
07-08-2005, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by K9karen
[The beautiful folks in the UK stood by and comforted us when we experienced 9/11 and it's our turn to do the same. Many hugs and prayers to you, our super mates. QUOTE]

These sentiments are exactly why the terrorists will NEVER win! Thank you

KYS
07-08-2005, 01:26 PM
K9karen my feelings exactly.
I will never understand these thugs we call terrorists.
Hugs and prayers to all our English friends.

karen

Muddy4paws
07-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Just an update from london, the newspapers today are saying its 50 dead now and my boyfriend talked me into going up to London today and I just got to say Its as if nothing had happened, there are still so many people around and just out shopping, we avoided the underground because I'm phobic about that place anyway and we avoided the area that was affected yesterday just so we wouldnt add to the troubles that might still be around but to be honest the area was so full of police and police dogs, on most of the streets I could say there was easily about 5 police people just standing by incase, I just find it amazing that after yesterday so many people can just carry on with life, Myself I was so paranoid about going into London and the thought of anything like a terroist scares me so badly but I definatly felt a sense of community up there its like no matter what happened people still stick together to get back to normal asap, I know im probably sounding stupid now but I was proud today.

NoahsMommy
07-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Wanted to add something I heard today:

There is a large group of people (200-300 total) going to London next week for a vacation. Yesturday, we thought they would cancel...but this morning they are still going. I guess they don't want the terrorists to think they can hurt the UK tourist-wise.

Hugs and prayers being sent to you all,
Kelly :)

Suki Wingy
07-08-2005, 06:45 PM
We found my cousins, they decided to stay back in Paris a few more days! My mom was so mad at my uncle because he didn't answer his phone.

Lexi_Lover
07-08-2005, 06:46 PM
Thats great news Eva! Itmust be such a relief! :)

BTW, I heard again, that the terrorists are planning to strike Italy next! :( MY SISTER IS GOING THERE IN SEPTEMBER!!!! :eek: :eek:

smokey the elder
07-09-2005, 07:28 AM
They may have found quite a few clues already. They have cameras out the ying yang in London; between those and the witness who said he saw someone "fiddling with a package" on the bus, as well as muc physical evidence. Scotland Yard will be very busy finding the perps.

It's up to your friends, but I take all the "chatter" with a grain of salt. A couple of years ago the intel community figured that "chatter" was an attempt at psychological warfare against citizens.

carrie
07-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Official figures say 49 have died, 65 still in hospital and who knows how many still underground.

The are only two sure things.

There are more to be added to the fatalities list.

The terrorists have hit the wrong target - big time!

They will not change the way we think, the way we live or our response to them. They do not terrorise us, we will not allow them to. We have lived with bigger threats than them, more focused threats than them. We did not live in terror, nor will we.

Every time they hurt the innocent, every time they murder the innocent they strengthen our resolve to condemn them, to isolate them and to ignore their aims.

It matters not who they are.

It matters no more how just they feel their cause is.

It matters not their reasons.

(Done a different way.......who knows....maybe it would all matter.)

They lower themselves, they belittle themselves and they show themselves as cowards.

Every bomb, every death confirms our belief that they are ashamed of their own thoughts, their own mandate. If it was one that they thought was legitimate there would be dialogue, not bombs.

This country has made mistakes with the bombs it faced in the past, this country has given voices to those that should not have a right to speak.

Given the right to speak - the bombers have failed to sustain support, respect or power - even over the people they say they represent.

Terrorist only survive in this world if we agree to live in a state of terror.

I don't.

I won't.

Lady's Human
07-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Well said, Carrie. After reading that I understand where the British troops I trained with in Germany got their attitude.

Note to Terrorists.....Churchill wasn't an anomaly