PDA

View Full Version : People and pit bulls!

Jadapit
07-06-2005, 03:46 PM
We went to my in laws for dinner on the 4th of July. We took Ebony with us so my in laws could see her. My father in law was talking to his neighbor across the fence about me buying a crate from them. The neighbors grand daughter was there she was around eight. Ebony was with my father in law when he was talking to his neighbors. The little girl was petting Ebony, her grandma said to her "DONT PET THAT DOG ITS A PIT BULL"

I think that is so, so sad. I really hate the bad rep, they have its so unfair.:( I will probaby have to deal with that kind of crap all the time. How do you think i should handle people when they spout off such stupid things?

luvofallhorses
07-06-2005, 03:54 PM
That is sad :( I would just ignore them and go on your way :) Don't let them get you down okay? (((hugs)))

anna_66
07-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Jadapit
How do you think i should handle people when they spout off such stupid things?
Let me know when you know.

Even though Bon isn't a dog with a bad rep he gets some crazy looks and people whispering about him, because of his size I'm sure.

People can be so stupid sometimes:o

Bigyummydog
07-06-2005, 04:03 PM
You know, after all this time, it still suprises me. Everytime someone reacts that way. It's a losing battle. I feel like just smacking them in the head, and saying, "look dumb***, it's just a dog." In your case, a puppy. How can anyone be afraid of a puppy? Maybe it's those big, scary teeth, or those monster like paws.....I know, it's that awful little tongue, that will lick you to death. I don't know what to tell you. They are the ones missing out on the sweet love of a pit bull.

CagneyDog
07-06-2005, 04:04 PM
How could people think sweet Ebony is mean ? :( Its amazing how uneducated people are about this breed!

Vette
07-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Im with BigYummyDog... when people react that way to any breed,, the frist thing i want to do is smack them along side the head and say something along the same lines.

it just really saddens me that people can be so dang retarded :(

pipersmom
07-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Even some of my own family members say things like, "Aren't you afraid that Buddy will hurt someone?" I always tell them I'm more afraid of someone hurting Buddy. He would go up to anyone for a pat on the head and I worry that someone will freak out and hurt him because of the way he looks.

There really is no good answer. People make me so angry.

senorita02
07-06-2005, 05:15 PM
Well one time i had a total stranger lady actually start yelling at me because of my dogs , she must have thought Rita was a Pitt or a killer dog cuz of her size & as for Rotts they still dont have a very good rep around here, anyway i kinda lost it and yelled at her and told her she was a stupid B----! lol
Now if someone says something, i will just have to tell them, it is too bad that u are so ignorant. And let them stew about that. LOL
And its true , it is too bad for their ignorance.

DJFyrewolf36
07-06-2005, 05:57 PM
People can be so dumb...

When I walked my RB dobie Hidi and later on Blue, I got a lot of comments about my "killer dogs" :rolleyes: I usually told them that I trust my dog not to be mean a lot more than I trust most peoples kids.

Hidi was a small girl really so not many people were afraid of her but Blue was not only a doberman but he was a HUGE doberman, way bigger than average size. He was well built and admitiedly he looked like he could really hurt somone. He had the ferocity of a piece of toast though lol. Once I was walking him and this lady ran outside as I went past and grabbed her kids (mind you I was across the friggen street) and ran inside with them while yelling "mad dog, mad dog!"

Blue just wagged his tail lol.

I can't see how anyone could be afraid of Ebony, she is just too adorable for words!

jesse_3
07-06-2005, 07:36 PM
URRRRRRRRRRRR! People need to get a life! They always look at Jesse like she's an alien! They ask to pet her, then when they get close enough to see she's a three-legger, they say,"Never mind, I have to go!"
Who cares what breed a dog is? I sure don't! I'm gonna get a pittie one day, and if anyone says anything, they will be yelled at to beet heck!!!!!!!!
Don't let those ignorant dumbjerks get in your way! They don't understand life, and that we all need to get along!!

finn's mom
07-06-2005, 08:16 PM
That sucks. Have people never said anything about Jada before? I would think people would have thought she was a pit bull and that you would already be used to hearing such crap. I'm glad you haven't had to experience that with her, but, sad that you are with Ebony already. Maybe what you could do is just put something together about bad breeding and bad training and bad owners, and, carry a few brochures or pamphlets in your back pocket or something. And, when they say something stupid, just politely say "if you really want to know about the breed, read this"....I would try your best never to be ugly about it, because people are genuinely afraid, ya know? To someone genuinely afraid and who's never heard or seen anything but "killer pit" and things like that, it must be hard for them to understand why anyone would have a dog like that. They're just as confused as to why you have a dog that they know as vicious as you are to why they're idiots. ;) Seriously, though, I know it will get on your nerves and you will get tired of hearing it, but, I would just try to take each opportunity and at least attempt to educate them. If you act out or respond negatively, they'll just go on thinking what they think and on top of that will just think that pit bull owners are mean, too. I don't know, I'm rambling. It's just thoughts......I wish you the best of luck in raising pretty Ebony.

Tweety_Pie
07-06-2005, 08:22 PM
aww, I hate people that do that!!:mad:

If someone said that around me if I owned a pit bull, I would just look at them, smile and say:

"Yup, It's MY pit bull"

beeniesmom
07-07-2005, 10:44 AM
:(

Lobodeb
07-07-2005, 12:08 PM
I hate ignorant people. I had the opportunity to foster a pit bull for a week. His owner had cancer and had to move into an apartment that wouldn't accept him. She asked me to take him to the pound to be put to sleep because she couldn't find a home for him. I said there was no way, so I took him in, but unfortunately, he got a little to excited to see my cat and blood was shed, and shed and shed. My cat is fine thank God, but the poor dog's reputation took the brunt of it. My monster-in-law started calling him Diablo (devil) and saying he was dangerous and could kill us. I tried explaining to her that if he wanted to kill my cat, he would have. Cats don't usually survive such an attack and that if he was cat aggressive, he would also be small dog aggresive and would go after my Maggy, which he didn't. Actually, he was afraid of her! lol My words were falling on deaf ears. I had to have someone else foster him, but last I heard, he found his forever home.

I will admit I was a little nervous taking him in at first as I had never interacted with a pit before, but he won me over with his sweetness and charm on his first night with us.

Here's a pic of the sweet boy.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/Lobodeb/Rojo.bmp

beeniesmom
07-07-2005, 12:11 PM
don't let them upset you.

cyber-sibes
07-07-2005, 01:53 PM
You can't make people smart. But I saw a show about pit bull rescue and what they did was change the dog's breed name- Gentle pitts were no longer identified as "pitt bulls", but rather "St. Francis Terriers". Seemed to work.

Kfamr
07-08-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm sure you all know how I feel about this.

Pitties are such sweet dogs and don't deserve the crap they get. :(

elizabethann
07-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Have you ever seen the sweatshirt on www.cafepress.com?

It says on the front....YES THEY ARE PIT BULLS.

And on the back it says....YES THEY ARE FRIENDLY.

I thought of your post when I saw it.

Sorry you're having a problem with people assuming your dogs are killers. It's a shame. Just ignore them. As long as you and you're dog are happy and having fun on your walks, who cares what uneducated people think?

Take care!

:)

cocker_luva
07-08-2005, 05:23 PM
thats horrible!