PDA

View Full Version : Vet visit tomorrow!

Uabassoon
07-06-2005, 03:04 PM
I'm really nervous tomorrow we are taking Neville (I have a feeling he'll be getting a new name soon) to the vet for a check up. I really hope everything with him is ok. There are a few concerns but I think most of it is just us being paraniod.

He does sneeze, but we have yet to hear him cough. The area around his nose is also a little irratated, he will sometimes rub his face into his kennel mat and I think that is where the irritation is coming from. He'll usually do that before he lies down for a nap, but I don't understand why he does that.

He's had some soft stools, but I'm sure that is mostly just from the food change (we have no clue what the shelter fed) and stress as he has been through a lot.

This morning he didn't want to eat his breakfast, so hopefully he'll eat his dinner tonight.

Other than that things are great with him, he is not at all potty trained so we are working on that. He seems to hate going outside so hopefully soon he'll learn the quicker he goes the quicker he can come back in. Other than that he is a doll in the house, no chewing or other destructive behavior. He is very mellow and doesn't jump unless you make an effort to excite him. Mostly he just wants to be near you and be petted. He still shows no interest in toys and isn't very playful but he does enjoy chasing me when I run around the apartment.

elizabethann
07-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Good luck with the vet visit. I have to bring Fenway and my 2 cats, Cosmo & Maxie to the vet tomorrow too (for their annual check-ups).

Sometimes Fenway will rub his face all over the bed or rug after he eats. Perhaps this is why Neville is rubbing his face? Just a thought.

Anyhow, good luck.

Uabassoon
07-06-2005, 07:12 PM
I just got back from Alexa's. I offered him food and he ate all of it! So I think maybe he was just cranky this morning. He also went outside! I was very proud, as soon as I finished praising him and giving him a treat he headed back towards the door. So maybe he's starting to learn!

He also sleeps a lot, is this normal for a newly adopted dog?

Kfamr
07-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Good luck at the vets tomorrow!

I'm assuming his sleepyness is from his nueter?

wolflady
07-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
He also sleeps a lot, is this normal for a newly adopted dog?

Possibly. Since he is adjusting to a new place, he's probably a little worn out. It's definitely a good idea to rule anything else out (healthwise) with the vet visit, so fingers are crossed here that everything goes well! :)

**hugs**

lizbud
07-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Could be he's de-stressing from all that been going on. As long
as he's eating & drinking normally, I wouldn't worry to much.
Hope he gets a great checkup tomorrow.

Uabassoon
07-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the replies! My head keeps saying that he's sleeping because he's just stressed, but I really needed to hear it from someone else. After what happened with Dewey it's hard not to worry.

I just have to remember that he's been through a lot. I think he was captured by animal control on the 27th, so since then he's been crammed in a cage with other dogs, given shots by stranger, been neutred and taken to a new home. I would be more than stressed in that situation! And of course who knows what he was living like before he was taken to the pound.

Bigyummydog
07-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
Could be he's de-stressing from all that been going on. As long
as he's eating & drinking normally, I wouldn't worry to much.
Hope he gets a great checkup tomorrow.
I agree. Stress affects us (and our pets) in all kinds of ways. And like you said, who knows ALL of what he's been through.

I just have to remember that he's been through a lot. I think he was captured by animal control on the 27th, so since then he's been crammed in a cage with other dogs, given shots by stranger, been neutred and taken to a new home. I would be more than stressed in that situation! And of course who knows what he was living like before he was taken to the pound.

I hope the visit tomorrow can put you at ease. Let us know.

Ginger's Mom
07-06-2005, 08:24 PM
We are also hoping that all goes well tomorrow at the vets. He may just not know how to behave in a happy home. Give him time.

jesse_3
07-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Give him time, he will adjust! You've done everything right so far! Good luck and God bless you for taking in this precious dog!:)
Steph and Jes

NoahsMommy
07-07-2005, 03:20 AM
Good luck at the vet Neville!! :)

shais_mom
07-07-2005, 06:10 AM
paws and fingergs crossed Laura!

So you might be changing his name from Neville to ??

gemini9961
07-07-2005, 06:36 AM
Best of luck at the white coats. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
07-07-2005, 08:01 AM
I hope all goes well at the vet's office.

As far as the sneezing goes- it may be some kind of virus he got from the other dogs at the pound. An antibiotic won't help in that case. Just like in people it just needs to run it's corse. Vitamin C will help him get better more quickly. Ask your vet about it. A cold could be the cause of his sleepiness too.
I think you can rule out kennel cough, since he's not coughing. But that too is a virus and just needs to run it's corse. Vitamin C will help with that too.

He may still not want to play of he's feeling poorly. Maybe once he's feeling better he will want to. My chihuahua, Buster, was a 6 year old abused dog when I got him. He still doesn't play, but he loves to cuddle. He takes a long time to trust new people too. Buster had never been outside before I got him. I got to see the house he had lived in prior to coming to me and in was disgusting. There was 4 chihuahuas who just peed and pooped on the bathroom floor, there was a pee pad down, but it was full and running over. There was trash everywhere and it was so dark and filled with cigarette smoke. There was blood on the floor from a son beating his mother. It was terrible. Oh and there was originally 5 chihuahuas (that I know of) but one was sold for drugs. My point is you never know what kind of things these little dogs endure before we rescue them. Buster has been with me for 4 years now. It can take awhile but they can overcome it. Buster needs his "safe spot" though. Whenever someone he doesn't know comes over he runs to his crate (we keep it open all the time for him) and hides under his blanket.

good luck!

dukedogsmom
07-07-2005, 08:47 AM
Good luck at the vet. I'm wondering if maybe he has some sort of allergy? He sounds like he's adjusting pretty well for all he's been through. Maybe he'll feel like playing with the toys when the vet can make him feel better.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Sleep is a good cure for everything - it shows he feels safe in his new home. My Tobey would sleep all day if he could and he's only a baby

finn's mom
07-07-2005, 09:27 AM
I hope everything is all right with Neville! I know you will keep us posted, so, I won't even ask. ;)

Uabassoon
07-07-2005, 12:10 PM
So you might be changing his name from Neville to ??

I'm not totally sure, we just both decided we no longer liked the name Neville for him. However both of us seem to like the name Payson. I don't think we've ever had such a hard time coming up with a name!

lizbud
07-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Sometimes it's really hard to pick a name that seems to fit the
personality of the dog. I know it was that way with Maggie.I did
think about changing her name more than once. Somehow she
seemed to grow into it. :D

Uabassoon
07-07-2005, 10:42 PM
The vet visit went well! Everyone there loved him and kept commenting on how cute he was :) He was tested for heartworm, lyme disease and something else that I can't rememeber and they all came out negative :D so we started him on a heartworm preventative. Later in the week we are going to bring in a fecal sample just to make sure he is all well.

shais_mom
07-07-2005, 10:59 PM
yyeaa!

aly
07-08-2005, 02:11 AM
YAY, so glad everything checked out okay :D I don't think I've had a chance to talk to you about him yet except for those txt messages on my cell (been SO busy), but I am soooooooooooooooooo happy for both you and Alexa. Sounds like you've snagged yourself a perfect little guy. I'm sure he's grateful for his wonderful mommies.