PDA

View Full Version : How did you name your cat(s)?

DJFyrewolf36
07-05-2005, 06:41 PM
I think this has been done before but I saw this thread in Dog General (http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83145) and I thought I would start a similar one.

So how did you name your cat(s)? I'll be back with my story as soon as I get home :D

CalliesMom
07-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Shadow has been named Shadow since the first day she was born as she was the only black kitty in the litter. Whisper was named by previous owners so I kept the name; he responds to it and I like it.

My hubby and I fight over the reason behind naming Callie. I named her Callie because I confused a tabby with a calico so thought Callie the calico would be cute...He claims we named her Callie for California as he grew up there. Callie is a derivation from Cali :rolleyes: Whatever...he claims she is "his" cat since he found her but she loves me the most. She's so mine.

dukedogsmom
07-05-2005, 06:48 PM
I would love to know how Doogie got his name. Donna?? I call him hernia cat because he about gives you a hernia when you try to pick him up.

kittycats_delight
07-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Well my RB kitty I wanted to name Misty after Donnie Wahlberg's kitty from New Kids On The Block. Yes I used to be a New Kids freak. I'm not proud of it. But Misty didn't suit her as she was a calico and not even a dilute. So, I kinda mixed up the letters a little and there you have it, MYTSI.

When I got my 2 girls I had a list of names I really liked. I was sure I was going to name Lilith "Fantasia" but then when I seen her I said nope she is not a fantasia so hubby and I went over the names and decided she was a Lady Lilith and she lives up to her name.

And Vixen was formerly named LuLu by the little girl where she was born but I did not like that at all and she didn't know her name anyway as I got her when she was just 5 weeks old. We once again tossed around names before she came home we were sure by her temperment Galadriel would fit her as she was sooo calm and sweet and quiet. Well she was home all of 10 minutes when she started terrorizing Lilith and all of about an hour when she was giving the dog hell. And poor Shadow was 140lbs. LOL So I decided then and there she was a little monster, evil as can be and named her Vixen and she lives up to that name on a daily basis.

catmandu
07-05-2005, 06:59 PM
MICHAEL,WAS NAMED AFTER AN ORANGE CAT,IN A JAPANESE COMIC STRIP.
JJJ3,IS JUKE JOINT JOSEPH,AFTE HE WAS,ON THE LOCAL RADIO.
PRINCESS,MISS MANNERS,IS SO SO REGAL.
SCRAPPY,WAS NEVER AFRAID,OF ANYTHING,AND READY,TO FIGHT,AND SCRAPPY 2,IS THE SAME.
POUNCER,USED TO CROUCH,AND POUNCE,ONTO HET TOYS.
FLUFFY,WAS A FLUFFY CAT.
ORANGE BLOSSOM,WAS NAMED AFTER THE ROY ACUFF SONG,ORANGE BLOSSOM SPECIAL.
BOBO,HEAD BUTTED THINGS,LIKE WRESTLER BOBO BRAZIL.
POUNCETTE,WAS NAMED AFTER POUNCER.
RAGNAR,WAS NAMED AFTER THE HEROIC CAT,OF THE GOLDEN CAT NOVELS.
AND I THINK,THAT ALL THE REST,OF THE FOUND CATS,WERE ALREADY NAMED,AND KEPT THIER NAMES.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture153.jpg

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 07:01 PM
When my ex and I got our bengal kitty, we named him Lock. We had him for about a week before we stuck with a name. I think the only other name that was a good possibility was Harpocrates (the god of silence) and we would mostly call him Harp. But, we stuck with Lock, it was a name I'd heard a couple of different times, but, most noticeably from The Nightmare Before Christmas. There are a trio of no-good kids in the movie that are called Lock, Shock, and, Barrel. ;) I told Chris if he ever got two buddies, he'd have to name them that. Or if he just decided to get one buddy, he'd have to call him Key. I miss my Lock! I look at his COTD photo sometimes.....Chris isn't the best at keeping in touch, but, I know Lock is healthy and happy.

Grace
07-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Duffy: We wanted a name beginning with D – forgot the reason. Thought about Dillon, but settled on Duffy. It fits.

Reese: When I first saw her I thought Rhesus Monkey – and Reese evolved. Actually her markings are those of a Capuchin monkey – that didn’t come to me until later. Reese suits her.

Abby: We found her on Petfinders.org, so had a picture of her. Went through a whole bunch of names – Douglas liked Abigail/Abby. Her baby name was Alice (as in Wonderland). When I first saw her, I was struck by her long slender legs – and thought of the dancer Cyd Charisse. Sometimes I call her Mary Alice Abigail – Cyd Charisse. Long name for a little girl, but she likes it.

Grady: He was 5 months old, born to a neighbor’s cat – and basically ignored when he started hanging around. This was one of those *Poof* jobs that Jan does so well. We had to call him something, and Little Gray worked. Then he grew, and grew, and grew some more. And we kept him. He was so used to the Gray sound, we just made it Grady.

Red: Another stray that happened along. Big, orange, one-eyed cat. For lack of anything else, we called him Red. We truly thought he had a home – I mean he was neutered and that eye had been surgically removed. Despite notices all over town, no one showed up, so he lives with us. And Red stuck. I tried to change it last summer to Rudy – he became visibly depressed. So it’s Red now and forever.

chocolatepuppy
07-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Sassy was named after the cat in Homeward Bound. And what a mistake I made naming her that! She has lived up to the name! Missy was named when I got her at 3 months and I liked the name ok so I kept it. :)

catnapper
07-05-2005, 08:02 PM
I've never gotten to name any of them. They either came with their name or hubby named them. I currently hate "Flutter" and "angels eyes" bt I'll get used to them :D

kuhio98
07-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Kuhio ~ We used to spend a lot of time in Hawaii on Kuhio Avenue

Halo ~ While thinking of a name, we kept saying "Hello" when she'd meow at us. That morphed into Halo. If we had been thinking, we would have called her Hilo to keep our Hawaiian theme going.

Cammie ~ First tortie cat we had ever had. Cammie is short for camoflage.

Pepper ~ She has a "peppery" personality and is full of pep.

momcat
07-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Groucho is a black and white kitty, cute as they come. Anyway, I stopped in at a small pet shop near where my son was working at the time to pick up some food for our RB parakeet. A sign in the window said they had kittens so of course I had to check them out. When Groucho popped his little head up I instantly fell in love with his Groucho Marx moustache. Everyone who sees him says, "Yeah, that's a Groucho" The name just took.

rkidsrcats
07-05-2005, 08:37 PM
William - that was his name at the shelter. We morphed it into Willy Yum Yum.

Norbert - his original name was Bandit, but the person who had him before didn't like cats, so we renamed him when he entered our witness protection program;) Norbert was Hagrid's pet dragon in Harry Potter - he still hisses at us when startled.

Percy Peapod - Hubby named him Percival (after an airplane engine that purred like he does) and we added Peapod because he used to meow when the Shop & Stop grocery jingle came on the radio or when we sang it to him. It was about their delivery service called "Peapod".

Pippin - another great choice by the Hubby - a literary character, but I don't know where from. Morphed into Skippity Pip, Pip Squeak and The Squeak.

Tiger - He has a bunch of other names, but he's just such a Tiger Cat, he couldn't be named anything else. He didn't have a name yet at the shelter, so we first called him TC (Tabby Cat) and now Tiger.

Sam's not a cat, but he's named Samson because he so big and strong.

DJFyrewolf36
07-05-2005, 11:28 PM
Great replies!

My turn I guess...

With Remus, I had a dream about a cat in a shelter coming to live with me and he told me his name was Remus. When I got to the shelter, he caught my attention and I immedeatly thought "Thats Remus!!" His full name ended up Remus Kibbyashi Maru, after a really cheasy star trek reference. Remus has some nicknames like Rebob, Remashki, Reman Demon and other not so G rated ones!!

When I brought Spook home, one of my friends said "Hey, thats a little spook cat!" The name stuck...:rolleyes: We usually call her Spooky Oooky Cat. My husband came up with that lol

Palomino21
07-06-2005, 02:03 AM
Star was named Star the day we got her. She was creamy white and that name seem to fit her. She is in fact my little Star, and the wish that came true.

G535
07-06-2005, 02:42 AM
Most of mine have had Irish names, the current one is Finnigan.

furrykidsmother
07-06-2005, 08:02 AM
Garfield: That was his name when we got him and it sure seems to fit him.

Gidget: When we got her she was just called "little one", so being little we thought of Midget, but that didn't sound nice so we came up with Gidget.

Rusty: When he was born he was a little orangy, rusty ball of fluff so we named him Rusty.

Fluffy: She is a long haired kitty and as a baby she was a little ball of fluff too so she was named Fluffy and she has got the fluffiest tail, so her name is well suited to her too.

Rie Rie
07-06-2005, 08:09 AM
My Annie was orphaned by her mother along with a sibling, so as soon as I laid eyes on her at two weeks old, I said her name would be Little Orphan Annie. Of course as she grew into an adult, she should have been named something like Spitfire, as she is full of it!!!

BitsyNaceyDog
07-06-2005, 08:16 AM
Oliver- was named for his olive green eyes.
Raisin- was named because she was so small when I found her, when I was telling my friend about her I said "she's so small, I swear she's no bigger than a raisin".
Jimmy- was found behind a restaurant called "Jungle Jim's". My friend named him.
Sundae- we found her on our way to get ice cream at Dairy Queen.
Kitten- his real name is "Rav", which my sister (he was originally her cat) named him because he was found under a Rav4 at a car dealership. My sister ended up being very allergic to him so he came to live here. We didn't like the name Rav, but didn't want to chance his name. We just started calling him "the kitten" which turned into Kitten being his name. It's not really all too fitting, but yet I couldn't imagine calling him anything else.

Sonia59
07-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Peppito was named by Italian friends visiting us 2 days after we had him home. In Italy and Spain it is a short name for Humans, but he is almost human, right?

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-06-2005, 08:23 AM
My turn!

Maya: when we rescued her for the shelter, she had a name that didn't fit her at all: Pitou. That's a dog's name! So I looked for a sweet name, and then remembered this name MAYA. This name is perfect for her!!!
Inka: we saw she was a wild little kitten; my daugher suggested to take the name of another Indian tribe, the Inca's. So, that's how we named her INKA!
Sydney: his mom's name was Darwin. As a souvenir to our visit to Australia, we named him after another Auusie city: SYDNEY!!

smokey the elder
07-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Mobius: because when she was a kitten she curled into a position that made me think of a Mobius strip.

Diva: came with the name

Diamond: she has a white diamond-shaped locket on her chest

TicTac: black with a white Tictac shaped spot on his chest

Smokey the Younger: her temperament is EXACTLY like Smokey the Elder's was!

Bosun: came with the name, former foster

Bubba: Used to be Blubb, hated the name. He's a big sweet no-neck cat, so became Bubba. Another (failed) former foster.

sirrahbed
07-06-2005, 09:17 AM
I was a literature major and like poetry - so wanted the kitties to have poet names:D
Emily is Emily Dickenson
Eliot is TS Eliot
Dylan is Dylan Thomas
Robbie is Robert Browning
Lizzie is Elizabeth Barrett

well, they are not really called by their poet names though - I do prefer "people" names for my kitties - not sure why!:p

catlover4ever
07-06-2005, 09:30 AM
A lady at my local bank asked if I knew anyone who would like tiger kittens. She had a brother and sister pair and Mark and I took them in. I decided that because I loved Tigger from Winnie the Pooh so much that I would name the girl Tigger and Mark decided that he would name her brother Tony after Tony the Tiger from Frosted Flakes cereal.

Smokey was an easy one....because of his "smoke" color.

Tucker got her name because I was not sure if she was a boy or a girl so Tucker I thought fit for either.

Mystic was supposed to be Merlin but he turned out to be a she so I had to improvise on the name. Because she was almost completely black I wanted to stay with something mystical so Mystic became her name.

Abner.....well Abner was just the name that shouted out to me for him. Thank goodness he turned out to be a boy after all because I don't think I could have come up with a name.

Gracie and Gabriel were special. I saw a post from Queen about 2 little blind babies and I talked Mark into letting me adopt them. Because they were a sibling pair I wanted their names to start with the same first letter....like what we did with Tigger and Tony. I had the girls name Gracie but was undecided for a boys name so I asked the fine people of PT to help with a name.....hence Gabriel.

That's how all of mine got their names.

Don Juan's mom
07-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Don Juan got that name at the Humane Society. I kept it, as it suits him. He's really affectionate ESPECIALLY with women :rolleyes: and just a little naughty.

Zerlina was originally called "Zana" by the group which had her at Petsmart, Hopalong Pet Rescue. I renamed her after a character in the Mozart-Da Ponte opera Don Giovanni, and I thought the name was close enough to her original to make the transition simple.

Funny how these things work out. In the opera, Don Giovanni comes upon Zerlina's wedding in the country, and very nearly entices her away from her new husband, Masetto... but fails in the end. At home, Don Juan (who was neutered by the Humane Society) tries to mate with Zerlina (spayed by Hopalong Pets), but never succeeds. :rolleyes: :D

Liz