PDA

View Full Version : How did you decide on your dog(s) name(s)?

Lobodeb
07-05-2005, 12:41 PM
I was just looking at all of the interesting dog names here and I always love to hear stories of how their pets' names come about. For me, personally, naming my pets is very important so I'm sure you can imagine my difficulty choosing a name for my human baby! :eek: Luckilly, I still have 6 1/2 months to decide.

Anyway, we named Maggy after a guy who used to play for the White Sox. His name was Magglio (Mags for short). We named her this because at the very young age of 8-9 weeks, she could already fetch and catch the ball! We would throw it straight up and she'd catch it. My hubby used to say that she's a great outfielder like Mags. And there ya go. Maggy it is.

I even made her a little jersey for dog day:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/Lobodeb/11535445206_0_ALB.jpg

IRescue452
07-05-2005, 12:47 PM
My parents picked Pepper because of her coloring and MissPepperC'mere because of Pepper's selective hearing.

I picked Autumn because she was born in autumn, I liked the name to begin with, and because of her orange tones.

I tend to wait until I know the animal good to pick a name and I sometimes just pick a word random from the dictionary. I named my fish Frock and Patron just opening a page and finding the word I liked best.

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Before I met Finn, I'd wanted to see about getting a Pharoah Hound, and, had liked the name Phinneas for a long time. So, that was in my mind when I met Finn. When I knew he was mine, though, I knew he wasn't a Phinneas. But, I thought of some good, adventurous, all american (even though the breed's not american, they are one of the most popular breeds here), water loving, easy going names. I thought Finn would work, from Huckleberry Finn. I had most recently thought the name was cool for a first name because of the movie Great Expectations. Ethan Hawke's name was Fin. And, then I looked it up in a baby names thing and it said "finn" meant yellow or light haired, so, it fit! I named him within minutes of getting him, even though usually it takes me longer. Now that he's older, the only name that I think would have been close to being as good as Finn...is Train, or Freight, because that's what he is. A darn freight train. ;)

edited: Just looked again in the names things, and, Finn means "fair"....I'm sure it means fair as in "just", but, I thought it was cool....cuz he's fair-haired. ;)

BitsyNaceyDog
07-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Bitsy got her name because of her small size. She was so tiny when we got her at 9 weeks old. She used to have to hop through the grass because her legs were too tiny to walk through it.

Charlie came with the name Shorty, which I hated. He was 2 years old, and normally wouldn't have changed his name at that age, but I couldn't bring myself to call him Shorty. We wanted to call him something that had the same flow as Shorty and sounded somewhat similar too. Charlie is what we came up with.

Buster was 6 years old when we got him. I'm not really fond of the name Buster either, but I it does fit him and I wasn't about to change his name at 6 years old. Plus we had a lot of other issues to work on with him, changing his name would have made thing all the more difficult.

Nacey came with her name too. We liked her name right from the start, it's different and it fits her. My friend wanted us to change it to Lacey, but that's a bit too feminine for her being she's a pug.

Nova got her name because we found her on Thanksgiving day, which of corse is in November. Hence her name.

kittycats_delight
07-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Well my RB Shadow's full name was Shadow Evening Bear. He was an akita. All his names came from his looks. He has a very dark and bear like face.

Here he is.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/PTCRAZY/whatdoyouwant.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/PTCRAZY/shadowbearrelaxing.jpg

luvofallhorses
07-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Aw, Michelle he was handsome he reminds me of RobiLee's Katie. :)

JenBKR
07-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Belle - well, actually her name is Jezebelle, but I have been calling her Belle for so long it stuck; when I first got her as a baby she had the sweetest little face, looked so innocent, but she was so bad! Jezebelle seemed to work..

Katie actually came from the shelter with that name. For some reason, it fit. And she actually knew her name, so I hated to change it.

Roscoe also came with that name, and I love it. I've always liked the Dukes of Hazzard. We also call him Sheriff and Bubba - he answers to anything! :)

k9krazee
07-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Wow, I just thought of doing a thread like this the other day!

Shadow was named by my Aunt, her name was based soley on looks.

Micki and Mini, well Micki has two Mickey Mouse heads on his side (I will try to find a good picture) and with Mini being his sister we couldn't name her anything else! We just changed the spellings, I guess trying to be more unique.

Kyra's name was originally Peanut but we just kept calling her Baby. My mom wanted to name her Faith or Hope because we didn't know if she would make it through puppyhood. I suggested Kyra because some sites say it means "sun" and others "Ruler" and I thought it fit her, she was born in the summer and basically ruled my summer vacation because I had to be home constantly to make sure she got fed every two hours.

Jumping Jack Splash - the rescue named him Biff and that didn't fit at all. My mom kept suggesting the name Jack and I didn't like it at all. I thought it sounded really stupid especially because we have 3 Jack Russells. I talked to one of my Aunt's about it and she suggested Jumpin' Jack Splash, its the name of an old song I guess :confused: I liked it a little better than plain Jack but still wasn't sure...Well when he finally came home I threw a bunch of names at him and the only one he responded to was Jack, go figure. :p I actually really like his name now and it really fits, the Jumpin' part because we will be doing agility later on and the Splash because he absolutely loves the water!

crsvstang
07-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Reggie- got her name after a cartoon Kaitlynn use to watch called Rocket Power.

Tori- got her name because well I've always liked the name Tori.

Jaxon- just got his name to day. I thought it was different and it seems to fit him pretty good. We will be calling him "Jax" for short.

dukedogsmom
07-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Duke's isn't unusual but at the time I got him, I was married. My ex had a female German Shepherd named Duchess so I thought I would just add more royalty to the house.

luvofallhorses
07-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Jenny- We named her after my grandmoter, Geneva and my parents used to spell it Genny like (Gen-ny) and I thought it was an awkward spelling, so I spell it Jenny.

Ginger- She was my grandmother's dog but when my grandmother passed away in 2003 my mom inherited her and I believe she named her Ginger because of her color or the spice. Who knows :p

Rocky- We got him in a town named Rocker.

Buster- We were going to name him Bullwinkle since we had a Rocky, but my parents thought it would be too hard to remember. So, we called him Buster Brown :)

elizabethann
07-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Fenway was Fenway when I adopted him. His brothers were named Dodger, Ranger and the dreaded....Yankee.

:D

lv4dogs
07-05-2005, 02:23 PM
I went out looking for a dog that not only suited my lifestyle but fit the name Nanook. I had the name picked out way before I had the dog picked out. Nanook means polar bear in Inuit. So there he was, the perfect dog in the shelter, a whiteish husky mix that was perfect & he loved the name too!

Raustyk on the other hand was difficult to name. I had my eye on her for a couple months & had no clue what I would ever name her. So I adopted her & had her for almost 2 weeks before she had a name. My ex was working at an apartment complex named Rustic village. He came home one day & suggested Rustic for a name. At first I thought it was too boyish. But it grew on me. Seeing as she is more short & stout like the original rotts & has a rusty coloring and she actually listened to that name I thought it suited her well. Of course I wouldn't have it spelled the boring way. lol

Tateum (most likely the name of my future Aussie) I picked before the dog (obviously as I don't have the dog yet lol). I was getting together a list of names for my pup & thought of Tate. I looked it up & found that it can be spelled 4 ways, all meaning about the same, friendly, cheerful, he who brings happiness. But a couple weeks later I thought of adding onto it, making it Tatum with the meaning of Tate as thats what he'd be called most of the time. Again I couldn't keep the spelling the original way so it became Tateum. Of course he's only getting this name if he listens to it.

BitsyNaceyDog
07-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by k9krazee
Jumping Jack Splash - the rescue named him Biff and that didn't fit at all. My mom kept suggesting the name Jack and I didn't like it at all. I thought it sounded really stupid especially because we have 3 Jack Russells. I talked to one of my Aunt's about it and she suggested Jumpin' Jack Splash, its the name of an old song I guess :confused: I liked it a little better than plain Jack but still wasn't sure...Well when he finally came home I threw a bunch of names at him and the only one he responded to was Jack, go figure. :p I actually really like his name now and it really fits, the Jumpin' part because we will be doing agility later on and the Splash because he absolutely loves the water!

There was an old movie with Whoopi Goldberg called "Jumpin' Jack Flash". It was a song too.

Kfamr
07-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Well - my 3 are named after "The Lion King". When I was younger and the movie first came out, I watched it over and over. I lost count of how many times i've seen it. I've always love the movie and the movies that followed it.

Simba was my first dog and I named him after my favorite charactor in the movie.

Nala coming second, I thought it'd be cute to have a Simba and Nala.

And Kiara coming in third - in the movie Kiara is Simba & Nala's baby. So I thought since Kiara is the youngest, the name fit.

My next dog with be Mufasa (male) or Sarabi (female) :)

Suki Wingy
07-05-2005, 08:02 PM
Kay I was just as obsessed with TLK as you, in fact, I still visit this site:http://fanart.lionking.org/ occasionally, and have an account. My favorite characters are Sarabi and Sarafina.

Niño's (pronounced Neenyo) "name" was Nino. (pronounced Neeno) We suspect that at the shelter they were asking the previous owners (an eldery hispanic lady and her adult daughter) what his name was and they thought they were asking them what gender, so they replied "little boy". I liked the name but changed it to Niño. As for next dogs, I have a list several pages long of rregestered names for Dalmatians, with (L) or (B) and (D) or (B) after for liver or black and dog or bitch. I plan on breeding Dalmatians when I "grow up."
My first dog will be a liver male named (hopefully) JLS Mezzo Mixxx after the drink Mezzo Mix. His call name will be Mixer. As for Clark and Layla, Clark is a "super dog" and Layla was named Lady at first. My mom had a golden named Lady before, so I wanted to change it to Delylah, and she said it was too long, so I said I would call her Dilly for short, my mom didn't like it so she suggested Liela, which I absolutly hate as a name, but I loved Layla. My stepdad used to sing her the song.

wolf_Q
07-05-2005, 08:02 PM
Nebo--named after a mountain in Utah. Not one of the names I originally had picked out for a husky, I just thought of it and it seemed to fit him.

Reggie--name suggested by my brother, it's just one we all decided on I guess.

Sydney--my sister named her that

Smokey (RB)--I was 2 when we got him...I think it's just what the kids wanted to name him, after his black coloring.

cocker_luva
07-05-2005, 10:52 PM
jesse was named after my then best friend Jessica

slleipnir
07-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Hmm...

Josie- I couldn't really think of anything. I had just read a book with a girl named Josie in it..so I guess I thought of it, and liked it.

Zeke- was watching tour of duty a lot at the time. I loved the character Zeke Anderson. I thought he was so cool, and I had not heard the name Zeke a lot. I thought it would be such a cute name

slleipnir
07-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Suki Wingy
Kay I was just as obsessed with TLK as you, in fact, I still visit this site:http://fanart.lionking.org/ occasionally, and have an account. My favorite characters are Sarabi and Sarafina

I have an account too there..but I stopped with it cause they won't let you do duplications..if you do, you're a copier and a theif. I hated being treated like a thief for a couple drawings I did using a reference. (if doesn't even look as good so I duno why they did that) it was so annoying so I didn't bother. For me, using a reference gets me started on the style and how to do it on my own eventually

I use to have TLK movie memoried...every single word...I have A LOT of TLK stuffed animals and stuff too..-___-

Fox-Gal
07-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Rocky and Brandy came to me with those names, I couldn't change them.

Mooch, got her name because that's what she does, Mooches food off ever body.

Tuffy, was named after a Bennie Baby. I let a child name him. :rolleyes: So my husband calls him Booba, now. He hates Tuffy as a name. Don't know where Booba came from.

Odie, was because he's just like Odie on Garfield, lets cats pick on him.

gemini9961
07-06-2005, 06:06 AM
Sadie I just came up with. I liked it and it was a girlie name. Maggie, well all of my dogs names now are gonna have to end in "ie" so when we got Maggie it was hard to pick a name because like Sadie I wanted a girlie name so hence came Maggie.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-06-2005, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by k9krazee
[[QUOTE]Wow, I just thought of doing a thread like this the other day!

Spooky - I was thinking the same thing! My four furkids were all named by my daughter as follows:

Rabbit - Duncan (from the band Blue)
Budgie - Nemo (as in Finding....)
Brody - after Adam Brody from The OC and
Tobey - as in MacGuire (Spiderman was the film of the moment)

pitc9
07-06-2005, 07:35 AM
Sierra's name was Kira (Keer-ah) when we adopted her, then my hubby named her Sierra after the truck.

Buddy was Barry when we adopted him, the name did NOT fit him, while I was trying to come up with a fitting name I just started calling him Buddy because I didn't have a name for him yet then the name just stuck.

Suki Wingy
07-06-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
I have an account too there..but I stopped with it cause they won't let you do duplications..if you do, you're a copier and a theif.
really? I do for most and they don't say anything to me. I use mostly photographs and try to be semi realistic.

kimboe
07-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Camen was Spike when we adopted him, which i hated!
Plus, he didn't even answer back when i called him.
He only came when i yelled "Come on" so then i decided to call him "Ca Mon" but, he still came when i yelled for him.
then my boyfriend stated to get lazy to pronouce that so he started to call him Caman and then i wrote it as Camen.
So that's how Camen got his name transformed!:)
True Storey

jesse_3
07-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Jesse got her name because my RB Jewel was the only J in our family, we had Soxs and Sammy, and Jewel. We also had Echo, but we couldn't come up with a good name that started with E! So, now we have Jesse!

Sammy got her name because my mom always wanted a pet named Sammy.

Autumn got her name because she's a tortie, with autumn colors. And Peek-a-Boo because she always finds unique places to hide!

oops, Autumn and Boo are kitties!

Bigyummydog
07-06-2005, 03:13 PM
The first time we met, he was in the back of a pickup. As I was reaching for him, he growled at me. I thought it was the funniest thing. So, one day, I was watching this tiny lil' thing stomping around the yard and chasing bugs and getting into everything. I knew he needed a big strong name. MAXIMUS was a Roman General. That was the first and only name I thought of. This is what I was naming.....do you think it fit?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/bigyummydog/06-08-12.jpg

Look at those sweet grrrrr lips. :p

JenBKR
07-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Bigyummydog
The first time we met, he was in the back of a pickup. As I was reaching for him, he growled at me. I thought it was the funniest thing. So, one day, I was watching this tiny lil' thing stomping around the yard and chasing bugs and getting into everything. I knew he needed a big strong name. MAXIMUS was a Roman General. That was the first and only name I thought of. This is what I was naming.....do you think it fit?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/bigyummydog/06-08-12.jpg

Look at those sweet grrrrr lips. :p

OMG sooo cute! His name definitely fits!

Vette
07-06-2005, 04:52 PM
I named three of my pets by their coat colors or markings. :D
i named a 55 pound Aussie. Shepherd mix Muffin.. because she was blue merle,, and she had some round markings that reminded me of muffins... my parents liked the name too.. so thats what she was stuck with..LOL

as for my cat Cheetoo... in her younger years,, she more orangish in color,, and she had a kink on the end of her tail that reminded me of a Cheetos snak... i added the extra 'o' for uniquness.. :o

and as for Kirby.. well he came named. but she told me that she named him that because when he was a puppy,, he used to do a lot of sniffing around.. :D

and then theres Shady. another pet i named because of coloring. shes all black.. and reminded me of a shadow.. my dad was calling her Shadow for a while,, but i decided to rename her Shady to sound more girlish. :)

i have no idea how i came up with name Stella for my other cat.. think it just popped my head. LOL

wolfie
07-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Aww, Maggy has a cute jersey!

Cocoa came with her name.
Daphne we named after Daphne from the show Frasier.

beeniesmom
07-07-2005, 05:01 PM
You know.... it's strange but I don't remember how we came up with BEENIE (her name).
I guess we were just sounding out different things and that name seemed to have gotten a reaction from her.
Originally her name was Socks but I didn't care for that.

Chica
07-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Chica in spanish means little girl. So since she is a chihuahua, the smallest dog in the world, I thought it was appropriate to call her Chica.:) ;) :D

Buddy Blaze Lover
07-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Blaze...well, he was just a blaze of energy when we got him, he had a blaze down his face, and I just loved the name!!!:D;)

Samantha Puppy
07-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Rags (RB) was rescued and named by my parents about 6 months before I was born. They said that if you stuck a handle on him, he would've been a great mop because he looked like such a ragamuffin, so Rags it was. When he was bad, we lengthened it to Raggert. hehe

For Samantha... well, I actually wanted to name her Bridget. I thought it was cute and spunky, but my husband (then-boyfriend) hated it. So I came up with a list of names that would be acceptable and from it, he chose Samantha. It took a little warming up to but now I can't imagine her named anything else. It's still spunky but feminine, and that's my girl to a tee.

K9karen
07-28-2005, 11:44 PM
Cody : I loved the name and it fit him
Logan: Ah!!! Named after my wonderful friend Logan from PetTalk, my hero and one of the first perople I met and got friendly with. I always promised her that if I ever get another dog (after C passed), I'd name it after her, in tribute for being so awesome. Now both Logans are awesome. Her nickname on PT is "Klo" for "Canine Logan" when I talk about her, not human Logan. A lot of people have asked about that.