PDA

View Full Version : Sydney and Reggie to the vet

wolf_Q
07-05-2005, 12:39 AM
I haven't been online for a while, this happened last week but I thought I'd share poor little Syd's ordeal and Reggie's vet update.

On Thursday around noon we noticed a bump on the top of her nose...about the size of a quarter. We thought she'd just bumped herself or something, my mom made an appointment to take her to the vet the next day since she needed to get Reggie in anyway. We went to the store and came back 2 hours later and she looked like this!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/U2Q/syd001.jpg
Her whole muzzle was really swollen.......also around her eyes. Nebo had this happen a year or so ago and it was determined to be a bee sting. I called the vet and they said to give her benydryl (sp?). So we gave her that and it did nothing...I went to the dog park with my friend (Syd was with my parents) and came back to see this...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/U2Q/syd02.jpg
Her muzzle was swollen still but most of it was now around her throat, it felt filled with liquid and just hanging there. It was obviously bothering her as she kept itching her face, poor girl. I called the emergency vet (by this time it was around 10 pm) and they said if the benydryl hadn't helped she'd need a shot so we should bring her in. $97 and one shot later it still looked the same.

Overnight it went down some, my mom still took her in to the appointment the next day. The vet said he's seen many cases of this lately and he wasn't sure exactly what kind of insect was causing it, most likely a bee. He gave us some prednisone (sp?) in case she had another allergic reaction. This is a pic of her on Sunday, back to normal, phew!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/U2Q/syd03.jpg

Reggie has had some problems urinating in the house...it's not marking, he'll just stop and start peeing sometimes. The vet did a urinalysis and found nothing wrong...no kidney stones, no diabetes, no infection, etc. He said it wasn't incontinence because he would be dribbling especially when he slept which he is not. He said he thought it was like dog Alzheimers, that sometimes he forgets where he is and just goes. He also has mild cataracts, he can still see just a bit fuzzy. He gave us some medication to try (I'm not sure what it is, I wasn't there) so far we haven't noticed a difference but the vet said it may take a while to do anything.

captain
07-05-2005, 12:43 AM
Oh dear - glad the "swelling" cleared up ....

As for darling Reggie - {{hugs}}

Cinder & Smoke
07-05-2005, 01:02 AM
:eek:

Poor Syd - looked like a different dog all swelled up!
Glad she's returned to normal!!

Hope the meds help ole Reggie!!

ramanth
07-05-2005, 01:16 PM
I hope they are both feeling better! Poor things. :(

Kfamr
07-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Oh poor Syd! Wow.. it seems like swelling has become a trend on PT. :(

I wonder what's causing it all? Glad she's looking better now.

Poor Reggie. :( Hopefully you all find something that works for him. It's sad to say, but do you think maybe he'll need some diapers if the meds don't help?

chocolatepuppy
07-05-2005, 07:57 PM
You're sure having some bad experiences with swelling up aren't you? I hope this is the last time! Hopefully Sydney is doing fine and I hope the medicine helps Reggie.

sandragonfly
07-05-2005, 08:03 PM
oh my gosh, that swollen face.. unbelievable how fast. :( shouldn't they start to have 'bite' tests so they can know for sure!

glad it's swollenless now! sorry this had to happen to you. kisses and stritches all to your fuzzbabies just from me. :)

Oggyflute
07-06-2005, 01:49 AM
Glad Sydney is better, and hope that Reggie does OK with his meds.

gemini9961
07-06-2005, 07:15 AM
Best wishes to both puppers.

Ginger's Mom
07-06-2005, 08:53 AM
Oh poor babies. I hope Sydney is feeling better now. And I hope that the medication helps Reggie, and he gets back to his old self soon.

shais_mom
07-07-2005, 11:41 PM
how scary for Syd Amy!!
I hope the schnauzer duo feel better asap!