PDA

View Full Version : Imac/Apple computers.. are they GOOD?

CountryWolf07
07-05-2005, 12:33 AM
I am considering one for my dorm room - since my major is in graphic design. Is it smart to own one, or just go with a regular Dell computer?

aly
07-05-2005, 02:10 AM
I really hate Apple computers, but I think they are better for graphics though. So you might want to look into them. I'll ask my boyfriend tomorrow. He does graphics work, but doesn't use Apples, so I'm not sure.

kittycats_delight
07-05-2005, 02:27 AM
Hubby says mac is the best for those things. He said mac is a working computer so it is ideal.

Karen
07-05-2005, 07:42 AM
Check with your teachers, ask what they use!

I am a graphic designer, that's my profession. I have used Macs since they first came out - though at the beginning, I had to borrow my brother's Mac, because I was a poor student!

I work in publishing, and most offices I encounter use Macs - sometimes most of the office is on PCs, but the design department is all Macintosh. But programs are becoming more and more cross-platform, and so it doesn't really seem to matter much.

I am a rabid Mac fan. I use a PC only if I really HAVE to. I am concerned that they are switching chip manufacturers, but for now, I consider Macs THE choice for graphics.

prechrswife
07-05-2005, 08:41 AM
We are a Mac household. If you are getting a degree in graphic design, a Mac is most likeley what you want. (My sister is a graphic designer.) Macs were what they were trained on in college, and that is what she uses professionally, as well.

BitsyNaceyDog
07-05-2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Karen
I am a rabid Mac fan. I use a PC only if I really HAVE to. I am concerned that they are switching chip manufacturers, but for now, I consider Macs THE choice for graphics.

I'm not happy that they are switching to intel either. :mad:

My husband is a computer programmer and works with a lot of graphic designers. Both my husband and the majority of graphic designers he works with use macs.

I use a mac too, just for general use, but I'd NEVER go back to a PC. Macs are stable, you never have problems with them, they never freeze or crash. They are built so much better in general. They last longer too- they age much better than a PC. Because they are built better there are very few viruses that will affect them.

The iMacs are nice, my sister has one. One great thing about them is they take up so little space, there is no tower! They are more expensive than a PC, but you are paying for quality.

Justin has a powerbook, which may be good for you with school because you can take it to class with you.

The Mac mini, might be more affordable, but they don't come with the monitor, mouse, or keyboard. I haven't yet used a Mac mini.

PM me if you have any questions, I'll have Justin help you with anything you need.

katienoonan
07-05-2005, 09:16 AM
A good friend of mine is a graphic designer and he has a Mac.

Albea
07-05-2005, 12:49 PM
If you are a graphic design major you won't find a better computer than a Mac. I do lots of graphic design in my old, always reliable G3, OS 9.2. Apple has come up with the latest operating system for the Mac, Tiger, and all the reviews I read couldn't find enough words to rave about it. Walter Mossberg, who writes the technical column for the Wall Street Journal called it the best operating system for any computer ever. He also said it will take Microsoft the next 18 months to "copy it."
Remember, the award winning Pixar animated films were done with Macs.
I can't hide the fact that I'm a Mac fan.;)

Suki Wingy
07-05-2005, 03:45 PM
My dad used to work in computer graphic design, you know, like CGI, and he always uses macs. I think they are much more reliable.

Grace
07-05-2005, 05:31 PM
My first computer was an iMac - back in 1998. I'm on my 3rd iMac now. Absolutely LOVE it.

I'm not in graphics, just use it for regular stuff. I was told it is more user friendly than a PC. I just know that I have never had a virus, or any other of the weird things that infect a PC.

dukedogsmom
07-05-2005, 05:37 PM
This is all very interesting. Can you tell me how they help in the graphics area?

Kfamr
07-05-2005, 05:51 PM
My friend Robert does computer graphics and such for a living - I'll see what his opinion on it is when I speak with him tonight. :)

*edit* Nevermind, I just talked to him.

He said that he really doesn't know, as he builds his own computers. You don't need a Mac to do graphic design. He'd recommend getting the cheapest system possible (faster than 2.5ghz minimum) and loading it up with at least 1gb of ram. Then use whatever extra money saved towards the best quality/size monitor.

Don't ask me what any of that means, haha. :o

Karen
07-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
This is all very interesting. Can you tell me how they help in the graphics area?

Most graphics applications are built for Macs - they run native on the Mac OS and procesors. Many of the programs are now also cross-platform, but programs just work on the Mac sans glitches and slow-downs for the most part.

The user-interface is very graphical, very intuitice you can essentially understand nothing of programming and use a Mac happily for years.

The Mac is not subject to the gazillion viruses that exist for PC users, so you never have machine slow-downs because of viruses.