PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce...

MariaM
07-04-2005, 10:09 PM
Moi?

Like...

Moi. Thats it. Moi. How do you pronounce it? My friend and I are arguing about it lol.

finn's mom
07-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Like mwah. You are talking about the french word, right? How are you and your friend thinking it's pronounced?

MariaM
07-04-2005, 10:10 PM
AHA. I knew I was right. :D

MariaM
07-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Yes, the french word. I am sure its like "Mhua" and she's trying to tell me its "Moy". She's from Alabama so maybe they say it like that there??? :confused:

finn's mom
07-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by MariaM
She's from Alabama so maybe they say it like that there??? :confused:

Gosh, I hope not!

MariaM
07-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Lol she's telling me that all Canadians have french accents so of course we say it like that. But she has an english accent or something... :confused: :confused:

I'd like other people's opinions too. If you say "Moy" then write it, and if you've always said "Mhua" then say it. I need more back-up lol.

finn's mom
07-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Lol she's telling me that all Canadians have french accents so of course we say it like that. But she has an english accent or something... :confused: :confused:

I don't think pronouncing "moi" like "moy" is an accent as much as it is just incorrect. I have never heard anyone say it that way! Does she speak french?

MariaM
07-04-2005, 10:27 PM
I haven't either! It's so weird to me.

I don't think she speaks french. She might know a few words but nothing much.

.powerful
07-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Lol she's telling me that all Canadians have french accents so of course we say it like that. .

:confused: :rolleyes: No, hardly any Canadians have a french accent.

micki76
07-04-2005, 10:57 PM
I took two years of french in TX, so I can tell you it's mwah, regardless of where you're from. :D I also work with a frenchman. He says mwah.

Nomilynn
07-04-2005, 11:30 PM
It's mwah.. I took french all through elementary school and into university. I also am Canadian and if anything I have a slight "British" accent.. at least that is what I've been told by my American friends :p

Karen
07-04-2005, 11:40 PM
C'est moi = say mwah = It's me! And it is mwah in Canadian French and Parisian French as well. Moy is just plain wrong.

C'est moi, Karen, je suis 1/4 Quebequois = It's me, Karen, I am 1/4 French Canadian from Quebec (way north woods). My Grandma didn't want us to learn any French but at family gatherings, her generation spoke it, so we kids "wouldn't know" what was being said.

I took 4 years of French in school, which was in someways very different than Canuck French.

And my dear friend since 6th grade is now a French teacher at a Junior High here in Newton, 45 miles away from the town where we grew up.

There, that enough for your friend to believe you?

Crikit
07-04-2005, 11:44 PM

Cool I have a french accent when I don't even speak french. If I have any accent it's probably a mix of that Alberta twain and British...no french though when I speak french I sound like well a hick.

slleipnir
07-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Yup, it's said "mwah". And I'm canadian..I don't have a french accent...

MariaM
07-05-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by slleipnir
Yup, it's said "mwah". And I'm canadian..I don't have a french accent...
Lmao. I don't either. :p

wolfsoul
07-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Definatly "mwah." And I most certainly do not have a French accent lol.

kittycats_delight
07-05-2005, 01:21 AM
LMAO...that is just hilarious. I'm canadian as well and I can guarentee I have no french accent if I have an accent at all it's newfie. "Right on buddy" LOL

And I say it "mwah" too :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-05-2005, 04:16 AM
It is "mwah"! Tell her that a Belgian "girl" (:rolleyes: ) told you :)

prechrswife
07-05-2005, 08:46 AM
Just for the record, being a southerner has nothing to do with mispronouncing the word "moi." I've never heard her pronunciation used before.:)

Samantha Puppy
07-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Ummm yeah, it's "mwah". Did you ever hear Miss Piggy say "moy"? No. I've been to Montreal and I knew a French exchange student in high school. It's pronounced "mwah" and if your friend honestly thinks it's pronounced "moy", you need to tell her to just not bring up French again 'cause it's ignorance like that that gives Americans a bad name.

(Ignorance meaning, they don't know any better and don't care to find out the correct way. - I didn't mean that as a cut against your friend.)

swimma253
07-05-2005, 09:09 AM
LOL I think she thinks its Moy, because thats how you would think it was pronounced. Since its spelled that way. But I say muah, mhua, I dont really know how to spell it.:p

Edwina's Secretary
07-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Definition of a generation gap....I was going to suggest listen to the song from Camelot....."Tis I" but then again...there is Miss Piggy....:D ;) :D

Barbara
07-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Karen
C'est moi = say mwah = It's me! And it is mwah in Canadian French and Parisian French as well. Moy is just plain wrong.

C'est moi, Karen, je suis 1/4 Quebequois = It's me, Karen, I am 1/4 French Canadian from Quebec (way north woods). My Grandma didn't want us to learn any French but at family gatherings, her generation spoke it, so we kids "wouldn't know" what was being said.

I took 4 years of French in school, which was in someways very different than Canuck French.

And my dear friend since 6th grade is now a French teacher at a Junior High here in Newton, 45 miles away from the town where we grew up.

There, that enough for your friend to believe you?

I agree with Karen.

I come from a town 7 miles from the French border.

I took 9 years French in school.

I was married to a French for 7 years.

So that should add even a little more evidence ;)

lizbud
07-05-2005, 10:39 AM
If you are ever in doubt about pronuncation of a word you
can always check it out here at http://www.m-w.com/home.htm

They sound it out for you.:)