PDA

View Full Version : movies you watched today

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

finn's mom
07-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Hey, everyone. Just thought it would be cool if we could get a thread going on movies. If you watch a movie you enjoyed or didn't, post about it. This could be a total flop, but, I thought it might stick around. I'll pull it out when I watch a movie, though... even if no one else does. :)

I watched three movies today! I'd seen all but one of them already.

Garden State (zach braff, natalie portman).....I love this movie. It's so real, and, sweet, and, funny and emotional. It makes me cry in several parts, and, laugh, too. Natalie Portman is just stunning and adorable, this is by far my favorite role she's played. The soundtrack is wonderful.

Donnie Darko (jake gyllenhaal, drew barrymore).....This is one of my favorites as well. It's strange, and, mysterious, and, funny. Jake Gyllenhaal is great in it, and, the soundtrack is awesome as well in this film.

Trainspotting (ewan magregor)......I'd only seen bits of this movie previously. I thought it was disturbing and funny all at once. It's good, but, like Donnie Darko, may be too weird for some people. The theme today seemed to be awesome soundtracks, because this movie was packed full of great music.

Anyway......I just thought it'd be cool to see how a thread like this would fare. So, if you've seen a movie and it's not something you want to start a new thread on (like a brand new big movie or something), then, post your thoughts about it in here. :)

GoldenRetrLuver
07-04-2005, 09:43 PM
I'm in the middle of watching The Notebook. It's one of my favorite movies.. I love it. :D

K9soul
07-04-2005, 10:26 PM
I just got done watching 'So I Married an Ax Murderer' :D. Haven't seen it in years. Only now I have the song "There She Goes" stuck in my head. ;)

cocker_luva
07-04-2005, 11:10 PM
i watched Coach Carter with Samuel L. Jackson. a GREAT movie!!

Cookiebaker
07-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Rainman :) I only watched half of it though. I have a customer that talks EXACTLY like Raymond, it's so funny! :D I recently bought the DVD.

NoahsMommy
07-04-2005, 11:40 PM
I've been watching Monk all day on USA. Love that show!! :)

slleipnir
07-05-2005, 12:14 AM
I saw War of the Worlds tonight. I enjoyed it

manda_moo87
07-05-2005, 12:32 AM
I watched 13 Going On 30.

sirrahbed
07-05-2005, 08:07 AM
What's Eating Gilbert Grape has Johnny Depp playing the older brother and caretaker in a family, including Leonardo DiCaprio playing his mentally handicapped little brother. I had never even heard of this movie when it was in theaters in 1993, but I thought it was terrific!

JenBKR
07-05-2005, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
I've been watching Monk all day on USA. Love that show!! :)

I watched that all day yesterday too! That is one of my favorite shows.

I'm trying to remember what the last movie was that I saw. I'll post later when I remember...:)

elizabethann
07-05-2005, 08:29 AM
Rented the Aviator this past weekend...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz

BitsyNaceyDog
07-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Justin and I went to see Bewitched on saturday, I hated it. Justin thought it was alright, but I easily could have walked out on it.

Originally posted by finn's mom
Garden State
Donnie Darko
We have both of those movies. Garden State is great!
Donnie Darko is one of Justin's favorite movies, but I haven't watched the whole thing, just parts. I don't like Drew Berrymore and that keeps me from watching the whole thing. I suppose I should just get past it and watch it sometime.

Originally posted by Cookiebaker
Rainman :) I only watched half of it though. I have a customer that talks EXACTLY like Raymond, it's so funny! :D I recently bought the DVD.
Haha. I have that movie too, it's one of my favorites.

Originally posted by sirrahbed
[B]What's Eating Gilbert Grape
I love that movie. Justin bought it for me awhile ago, I need to watch it again. It's such a sad movie. You can't help but feel for everyone in it.

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by cocker_luva
i watched Coach Carter with Samuel L. Jackson. a GREAT movie!!

That is a really good movie! :)

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by KBlaix
I don't like Drew Berrymore and that keeps me from watching the whole thing. I suppose I should just get past it and watch it sometime.

She doesn't have a really big part. Her role is really important, but, her part is relatively small. :) The movie is worth it, for sure.

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 10:11 AM
What's Eating Gilbert Grape

That is a wonderful movie! Everyone in that was phenomenal!

furrykidsmother
07-05-2005, 11:42 AM
I watched the Wizard of OZ and part of how they made it. I love the classics!

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by furrykidsmother
I watched the Wizard of OZ and part of how they made it. I love the classics!

So, do I! That movie is amazing, it was probably one of the scariest movies to me growing up. The witch on the bike and changing into the broom at the very beginning still creeps me out! And, the flying monkeys! Scary!

Lexi_Lover
07-05-2005, 12:13 PM
LOL! FINDING NEMO! :cool:

crsvstang
07-05-2005, 12:27 PM
We watched

Navy Seals and Blue Collar Comedy Tour Rides Again

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
FINDING NEMO! :cool:

That movie is so good! I cry every time!

JenBKR
07-05-2005, 12:32 PM
We went to the drive-in with my nieces and saw the Adventures of Sharkboy & Lavagirl...Ok for a kid a guess but I didn't care for it. The movie after that was the Longest Yard (Adam Sandler & Chris Rock). Thank one was funny

DJFyrewolf36
07-05-2005, 12:38 PM
I watched Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within this weekend. I absolutely LOVE the computer imagery and can watch it a thousand times for that alone! The plot kind of irrtates me just because it portrays another Squaresoft (or Square Enix as they like to be called now :p ) game, Secret of Mana, a lot more than it portrays Final Fantasy, but most people don't catch that.

I also watched Joe's Apartment (one of the funniest movies ever I think) and part of Segourney Weavers (sp?) Snow White (Creepy to the max!)

JenBKR
07-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Usually I love a good thriller or comedy. I don't think I've seen a thriller for a while, at least not that I can think of...

ParNone
07-05-2005, 12:39 PM
We went and saw "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" yesterday. I was majorily disappointed. Everything I'd read, claimed that finally Lucas had come close to recapturing the magic of "Empire Strikes Back". Not even close. I should have known better, seeings how it was still pretty much the same actors as the previous 2 Star Wars.

Blah actors with no charisma. Sci Fi needs actors with bigger then life personalities. Pretty bad when a puppet and 2 machines have more screen presence then their human counterparts and envoke more emotion and caring from the viewer.

Course the dialogue didn't help'em any. No memorable quotes. Too much standing around and just talking about what's happening and going to happening. Show us, don't tell us.

Female character that is pointless to the story. Her only value add to the story was being pregnant. Major step back from Leia, who could hold her own in any action sequence and was a very integral part of the story.

Forced Love story. I could care less if Skywalker and what's her name (heck she's so blah, I can't even remember what her name is) are together. Never found myself rooting for them, like Han and Leia. Now there's a romance.

Anywho, there's 2+ hours of my life I won't get back, so it gets 2 thumbs down from me.

Par...

DJFyrewolf36
07-05-2005, 12:55 PM
I kind of expected Revenge of the Sith to be cruddy, Par, as the entire story was sort of explained in episodes 4-6...:rolleyes:

Thats why I absolutely refuse to watch it until it comes out for rental...and even then I'll make sure I have a free rental cupon for it!

K9soul
07-05-2005, 01:01 PM
I actually liked Ewen McGregor as the younger Obi Wan, and I felt like this is the first time that character had convincing emotions of the three. I felt a stirring in his emotional farewell after he had defeated Anakin. The guy who plays Palpatine (forget his name) does a good job portraying a creepy emperor, of course he was in the original movies.

I don't really blame the actors that much, I blame more the script and Lucas's directing.

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
I kind of expected Revenge of the Sith to be cruddy

I didn't expect a whole lot out of any of the newest three (1-3), either, but, I liked them all. I did get emotionally involved in the third one because of Obi-Wan and Anakin, there at the end. Just seeing them fighting each other was heartbreaking to me. And, it wasn't so much that I'd been drawn in by the new actors, because I wasn't. Just drawing the feelings I have for the older movies and those characters. I thought Ewan Magregor was the only actor in any of the newest three that was any good, really. Well, and Liam Neeson as Quai-Gon (sorry, I think I spelled that incorrectly), I thought he did well. Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman were a joke, though. And, that's disappointing, as I think Portman is a great actress. I've not seen anything else with Christensen, though. But, George Lucas has always been terrible at dialogue, they don't have a lot to work with. I've enjoyed all of the new ones, but, only because I've avoided comparing them to the ones I grew up with and also because I didn't listen to the hype. I'm glad I saw them all in the theaters, though, because they lose something on the small screen. Especially movies like that, as the largeness of it, is really the only thing it's got going for it. ;)

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
I actually liked Ewen McGregor as the younger Obi Wan, and I felt like this is the first time that character had convincing emotions of the three. I felt a stirring in his emotional farewell after he had defeated Anakin. The guy who plays Palpatine (forget his name) does a good job portraying a creepy emperor, of course he was in the original movies.

I don't really blame the actors that much, I blame more the script and Lucas's directing.

We posted at the same time. :) I agree with mostly everything you said, except for Palpatine. He actually made me laugh a little in the third one, I don't know why. It just came across as hokey to me when he was electrocuted and got Anakin to join him. That whole scene didn't get to me like I'd kinda thought it would. He was, for the most part, though, really creepy. I can't believe it's the same actor as in the original ones, and, I still don't remember his name, either!

ParNone
07-05-2005, 01:17 PM
I keep trying to analyze why the first 3 worked so well and the last 3 Star Wars haven't. There was a sense of fun and adventure. They really do harken back to the B westerns and swashbuckling movies of the past. Maybe he's taking himself too serious in these last 3, hence why he chose the actors he did and why the scripts are lacking.

Most of these actors I really like. They're quality actors that have been quite good in other venues. But that's the thing, the kind of campy sci fi stuff I like, doesn't necessarily work with the best actor. It needs someone with awesome on screen presence. As an example, Lucy Lawless is a so-so actress at best, but she was incredible as Xena. She really shines in campy material.

I dunno, I think George really lost focus on what made the first three so good.

Par...

K9soul
07-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Kari, your post really expressed how I saw it too. I did actually enjoy Ewen McGregor in the third particularly, somehow his portrayal of Obi-Wan really seemed to fit more this time, that bit of light playfulness to his style, and I did feel touched at the final battle there, like you said not in particular because of the actors but because of the tragedy of the story line, but Obi-Wan's emotions were convincing to me in that scene. I loved Qui-Gon in the first one! Liam Neeson's charisma is so strong, it's too bad he had to die in the first one! I can see how the lightning scene could have struck you as a bit funny/hokey. It didn't really hit me that way at the time but that's because I was so immersed in the story at the time and kind of on the edge of my seat waiting for the carnage to begin, but looking back I can definitely see how it could be almost humorous. I found him most creepy on the sidelines when he was being so sly and playing both sides, slowly gaining power and biding his time.

I actually enjoyed the story line to the whole thing overall, but I was disappointed in the cliche and wooden script. There is only so much actors can do with some of that tripe LOL. From what I understand Lucas does not allow actors to improvise much, he's very stubborn with how he wants things done.

edit: LOL, just reread my post and saw my wording "lightning scene struck you..." I never even thought about the play on words there :p

K9soul
07-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Par, you know I've thought about that a lot. I think the biggest thing is this: The script for the first three was corny and cliche too, but the difference is the actors seemed to know this and they almost come across as exaggerating it and enjoying it, having fun with it. You know what I mean? These actors, they are good actors, but they took a bad script and had to act it out seriously, whereas the first three a lot of the time had humorous undertones and the actors seemed to be having fun with it. I sensed a really good chemistry between the actors in the first three too. I could imagine them sitting around laughing and joking in between takes.

ParNone
07-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Which may come back to directing. It may be Lucas taking himself too serious, when that dialogue just screams out to be campy. I think Harrison, Mark and Carrie do not get enough credit for making it work. Chemistry can really rise above it all. Look at Shatner, he's made a whole career on bad/campy acting. :)

Par...

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by ParNone
I keep trying to analyze why the first 3 worked so well and the last 3 Star Wars haven't. There was a sense of fun and adventure. They really do harken back to the B westerns and swashbuckling movies of the past. Maybe he's taking himself too serious in these last 3, hence why he chose the actors he did and why the scripts are lacking.

I dunno, I think George really lost focus on what made the first three so good.

I know for me, it's because I was a kid when I saw the first three. Now, that I'm older, they mostly are good to me because they bring back such good memories. I think the scripts are just as crappy in the originals, I have thought that for a long time. I've talked to kids that are the age I was when I remember seeing these movies, and, they get the same feelings about the new ones that I remember getting about the old movies. I think Lucas is using the same formula, and, still trying to aim it at a younger audience. I don't know, that's how I've always felt about it. :)

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Woo hoo, I'm glad I started this thread! This is exactly what I was hoping would happen! :D

K9soul
07-05-2005, 01:37 PM
I swear I rewatch the first ones mostly to see Harrison Ford and his facial expressions and hear his corny swashbuckling lines. He has the best facial expressions, especially that crooked goofy grin of his. He is definitely one of my all-time favorite people to watch on the screen, especially his campy action movies, Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

Lacey
07-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Lucas, himself, has admitted that dialogue isn't his strong suit. I have to admit that the best parts of the movie were when everyone got to shut up and act. :D

As for what I watched over the weekend:

Cool Runnings - the ending of which is still sappy enough to get me bawling like a baby

Beverly Hills Ninja - Well, bits and pieces anyway. I had the tv on just for background noise when that was on

Antz - I wish I got Cartoon Network in clearer, but I guess I can't complain since I'm really not supposed to be getting it at all. :p

CagneyDog
07-05-2005, 01:56 PM
I rented the whole OC season and Im watching it right now.

I *love* the OC :D

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by CagneyDog
I rented the whole OC season and Im watching it right now.

I *love* the OC :D

That's a tv show, right?

CagneyDog
07-05-2005, 02:12 PM
That's a tv show, right?

Yup...

haha I know its techically not a movie :o

Logan
07-05-2005, 02:47 PM
This is a fun post, Kari. :) Over the weekend, we rented "Hitch" and "Coach Carter". We laughed at Hitch and enjoyed Coach Carter very much, too. Whoever said that Samuel L. Jackson is a good actor, I totally agree. What a performance!

Hey Kelly, we watched 4 episodes of Monk yesterday, too! I had only seen it once or twice, never realized what a "sad" story is built into that series! I told Scott we have to watch the new episode this coming Friday, now. I loved it! :D

Logan

petslover
07-05-2005, 03:28 PM
I watched Cellular. It is one great movie. Keeps you on the edge of your seats throughout the movie!

sandragonfly
07-05-2005, 03:34 PM
I'm borrowing ALIAS I, II, III seasons from a friend!

I love it!! mysteric surprises are must. (espidoses from TV show, but never knew it until I saw my friend has them and reccomended me).

just watched monsters, inc last night for 18th time! when it was in theatre, I watched it 14 times!! then got a dvd as a gift and never stopped watching. :D their effect's champ!!

neko1
07-05-2005, 04:39 PM
My niece was up this weekend, so I was watching Shrek 2, Shark Tales, and the Fox and the Hound over and over again...

But last night I watched my favorite movie...The Cat Returns.:D

carole
07-05-2005, 05:26 PM
At last Kari you have finally got a movie thread going, I love to read everyone's comments on different movies, and then make my own mind up whether to rent it or go see it.

As I mentioned in another thread I have just seen FINDING NEVERLAND on video, it was indeed a lovely movie, but I found it a little disappointing because the hype surrounding it made it a bit of a let down for me personally, but Johnny still lived up to my expectations as he always does:D , I also knew the ending more or less, so that spoilt it a little for me, but all in all I would give it a 7 out of Ten I think.;)

K9soul
07-05-2005, 05:57 PM
The Fox and the Hound was my absolute FAVORITE movie as a little kid. I had one of those old record/storybooks of it that I listened to constantly :)

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm going to see a movie tonight, I'll be sure to post later. I hope to see "Cinderella Man", but, might not be able to make that. If not, we'll see either "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" or "War of the Worlds." Not much to really pick from, unfortunately. I really want to see "Batman Begins", but, my niece and I are going to see that together, and, she's working. So, I have to wait. Darn. ;) The only other one out that I'm interested in is "Madagascar", but, the guy I'm going with is waiting to see that with his little girl.....

Kfamr
07-05-2005, 06:06 PM
I watched Eternal Sunshine the other night for the billionth time. I absolutely love that movie. My friend Gina and I always watch it together. Jim Carrey is a hottie, IMO. ;) Kate Winslet is gorgeous, too. Besides that, I just think the movie is amazing.

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I watched Eternal Sunshine the other night for the billionth time.

I saw that in the theater by myself. It is the second film I've ever gone to the theater alone to see. The first was in "In the Bedroom", that was a great, disturbing movie. But, eternal sunshine is amazing. What was crazy, is I wore an orange sweatshirt and several people in the theater, as we were leaving, mentioned the similarity to the movie. It was a very moving experience for me, as I'd been going through a lot at the time. So, it was just ironic that I was wearing such a similar outfit to hers. Anyway, that's probably pointless to everyone but me. :)

carole
07-05-2005, 06:13 PM
kari my daughter and her friend went and saw Mr and Mrs Smith,they loved it, that is two almost 13 yrs olds opinion mind you.:D

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by carole
kari my daughter and her friend went and saw Mr and Mrs Smith,they loved it, that is two almost 13 yrs olds opinon mind you.:D

Uh oh. ;) I'm torn, actually, I'm not really dying to see either of the two that are my options at this point. I really want to see Cinderella Man, I hope that my friend can make it on time. He's to call me here shortly and let me know what his schedule looks like, and, what time he'll be at the theater. That will choose the film for us. :)

anna_66
07-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
I also watched Joe's Apartment (one of the funniest movies ever I think)
I love that show!

We watched Fear Dot Com (http://feardotcom.warnerbros.com/) last night. I love horror, but this is definately not one of my favorites.

jenfer
07-05-2005, 09:29 PM
I watched Mr and Mrs Smith the other day. I like it. :)

sandragonfly
07-05-2005, 09:52 PM
anna, me too. love, love mysteries, horrors & dramas but fear dot com was okay-okay. curious, what did you think of ring? what's your favorite horror film?

finn, today for having headache, watched light it up - watching it again, I still cry!

everybody, I loveee movies but don't want say what's it about or I'd ruin surprises. :) I can say it's one of must-sees.

most of my dvds are based on true stories. I've always liked them because I often feel related to them.

RobiLee
07-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Hubby and I went to see "War of the Worlds" today. I thought it was OK. Hubby didn't care for it at all. We stopped and rented "Hostage" on the way home and watched it. We both liked that one!

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Well, I didn't end up going to the movies after all. But, I'm hoping to see Batman Begins this week, I'll be sure to post my thoughts on it! Probably in the other thread, though. :)

cocker_luva
07-05-2005, 11:00 PM
the pacifier

Cincy'sMom
07-05-2005, 11:08 PM
I didn't watch any today, but yesterday I watched two movies...

Six Pack-An oldie, but still a favorite of mine. Made in 1982, Kenny Rogers is a stock car driver trying to get back into racing that ends up with 6 kids, ages 16-7 as his pit crew. Probablly one of Diane Lane's first movies.

Hitch- Will Smith and Kevin James. I thought it was funny.

And we watched a few episodes of Monk too!

binka_nugget
07-06-2005, 03:00 AM
I saw Land of the Dead. It was okay.. I handled the guts really well but I cringed and whined when a piercing got ripped out. :p

BitsyNaceyDog
07-06-2005, 07:15 AM
Well, I didn't end up going to the movies after all. But, I'm hoping to see Batman Begins this week, I'll be sure to post my thoughts on it! Probably in the other thread, though. :)
Justin loved Batman Begins, he saw it at midnight on opening day with some friends. They all read comic books and had been excited for this movie to be out. I thought they were all nuts of corse because they all had to get up and go to work that next morning. I think he got like 2 hours of sleep that night. :rolleyes:

He wants to see it again in the theater, so I'll probably see it with him.

Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
Hitch- Will Smith and Kevin James. I thought it was funny.
I loved Hitch!! I was so excited the first time I saw a trailer for it because I've had a crush on both Will Smith and Kevin James for years. You can't even imagine my excitement when I first saw they were doing a movie together! I've loved Will Smith since his Fresh Prince days even if he was a little goofy looking then, he was still hot. Kevin James is so adorable, I've loved him since the first time I saw King of Queens. I have a picture of him on my desk, my friend got it for me.

finn's mom
07-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
I saw Land of the Dead. It was okay.. I handled the guts really well but I cringed and whined when a piercing got ripped out. :p

That was one of our options if we were going to go to the theater last night. I always gross out easier when it's stuff happening that you can actually relate to or imagine. People being disemboweled...I mean, it's nasty, but, I get more squeamish when someone gets their hand caught in a door or something, because I can actually imagine that happening.....

JenBKR
07-06-2005, 10:45 AM
We rented "In Good Company" the other day...it was ok, nothing great

carole
07-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Can anyone give me their opinions on these movies which are screening over the school holidays here in the next two weeks.

FIVE CHILDREN AND IT.

THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELLING PANTS.

FANTASTIC FOUR.

THE LONGEST YARD.

HERBIE RELOADED.

Thank you.

finn's mom
07-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Can anyone give me their opinions on these movies which are screening over the school holidays here in the next two weeks.

FIVE CHILDREN AND IT.

FANTASTIC FOUR.

THE LONGEST YARD.

HERBIE RELOADED.

Thank you.

I haven't seen any of them! I'm not sure about any of them.....I know my sister-in-law has the sisterhood book, but, I have no idea what it's actually about. The Fantastic Four looks cool, but, I usually end up not liking those kinds of movies. The Longest Yard and Herbie Reloaded look funny, I loved the originals, but, haven't heard any reviews yet. And, what's Five Children about?! I am sorry I can't help you out, but, I thought I'd give this a bump.....

carole
07-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks Kari, I have no idea really what any of the movies are about except herbie reloaded, they are all on at our local movie theatre right now, sometimes we are ahead of US sometimes behind, more the latter, but just wondered if anyone has seen them and can review them for me, nothing like the PT critics to give one an idea of what is what lol.

swimma253
07-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Troy. :) I LOVE that movie... and I LOVE Brad Pitt! :p

finn's mom
07-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Thanks Kari, I have no idea really what any of the movies are about except herbie reloaded, they are all on at our local movie theatre right now, sometimes we are ahead of US sometimes behind, more the latter, but just wondered if anyone has seen them and can review them for me, nothing like the PT critics to give one an idea of what is what lol.

I know the Fantastic Four is along the lines of Xmen, it's a comic book type action movie. And, The Longest Yard is a remake of a football movie. I've seen the original, and, remember liking it, but, that's about it. ;)

K9karen
07-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Got a free used DVD in Jan but never used it. This past weekend I went to Blockbuster and rented "Hitch" with Will Smith and "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" with Tyler Perry. Thank God for Blockbuster's new return policy cause I haven't had time to watch the 2nd one yet. Plus my Blockbuster membership expired but I think I looked sick and in pain with my back brace so the adorable young guy let me have them anyway. LOL! Man! That wretched back brace comes in handy! Going to try to catch "War of the Worlds" this week with some friends -senior citizen matinee! :rolleyes: :eek:

binka_nugget
07-07-2005, 02:46 AM

FIVE CHILDREN AND IT.

FANTASTIC FOUR.

THE LONGEST YARD.

HERBIE RELOADED.

Thank you.

Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants was okay. Not terrible.. not memorable.

Fantastic four looks fantastic! It hasn't been released yet though. I'll probably watch it within the next few days.

The Longest Yard was hillarious. I kept going in to watch it on my breaks (at least 10 times) and I never got sick of it. Definitely recommend it.

Herbie.. I saw part of it. It looked... blah. :p

RobiLee
07-07-2005, 04:25 AM
Yesterday we watched "Are we there yet?" (kinda cute) and "Hide and Seek" (kinda slow in the beginning but a pretty good movie).

JenBKR
07-07-2005, 07:43 AM
The Longest Yard was funny. I really got into that one. Haven't seen the others though

gemini9961
07-07-2005, 03:39 PM
I would recommend The Longest Yard. Me and my fiancee saw it yesterday, it was funny.

carole
07-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Thanks Binka and Kari, I have just read about FIVE CHILDREN AND IT, it is a British movie set in London about a father being away at war and the mother nursing the wounded, the children are sent to their uncle in an old run down mansion by the sea,while exploring they find a secret passage, leading to a strange beach where they dig up an 8,000 year old Psammead fairy who can grant them a wish everyday, so suddenly their enforced stay with nutty relatives turns out to be the most exciting summer in their lives.

It only has a two star rating, so does not sound great, probably enjoyable for younger children.

manda_moo87
07-07-2005, 05:27 PM
I watched the Witches of Eastwick with my friend. Haha, its a classic. :)

finn's mom
07-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Just got back from watching Batman Begins. It was so good, I really enjoyed it. It was dark and cool, really put all the pieces together in the story about Batman. The fight scenes are great, and, the characters are really cool. Definitely recommend it, Christian Bale is truly a beautiful man. Ack, I love a man in a suit. :)

ParNone
07-08-2005, 10:49 AM
I was not planning on seeing War of the Worlds, because everything I've read said it was a lousy movie. But the other night, I stumbled on a documentary on AMC, focused on old Sci Fi and Horror movies with commentary from George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and James Cameron. They happened to show a clip from War of the Worlds, by Spielberg, and it looked really compelling, so off we went last night to see it.

I gotta say I really liked it. I've never read the book or viewed the original movie, so that might have helped. I was able to go into it with an open mind. Plus, my expectations were somewhat low.

I viewed it more as a survival movie and I love that kind of story line. I found it very suspenseful and spent most of the movie screaming out in my head "RUUUUNNNNNNN". :) After that yawner of Star Wars III, it was quite refreshing. There was no time for the characters to just stand around talking about the plot, cuz they were too busy running for their lives.

If you're looking for hard core Sci Fi or heart pounding, hands over your eyes Horror, you might be disappointed. But if you're just after a suspenseful roller coaster ride, with the main plot purpose being to survive, then you'll enjoy this.

Par...

finn's mom
07-08-2005, 11:17 AM
If you're looking for hard core Sci Fi or heart pounding, hands over your eyes Horror, you might be disappointed. But if you're just after a suspenseful roller coaster ride, with the main plot purpose being to survive, then you'll enjoy this.

Par...

This gives me a little bit of hope. ;) Very nice review!

RobiLee
07-08-2005, 04:51 PM
I was not planning on seeing War of the Worlds, because everything I've read said it was a lousy movie. But the other night, I stumbled on a documentary on AMC, focused on old Sci Fi and Horror movies with commentary from George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and James Cameron. They happened to show a clip from War of the Worlds, by Spielberg, and it looked really compelling, so off we went last night to see it.

I gotta say I really liked it. I've never read the book or viewed the original movie, so that might have helped. I was able to go into it with an open mind. Plus, my expectations were somewhat low.

I viewed it more as a survival movie and I love that kind of story line. I found it very suspenseful and spent most of the movie screaming out in my head "RUUUUNNNNNNN". :) After that yawner of Star Wars III, it was quite refreshing. There was no time for the characters to just stand around talking about the plot, cuz they were too busy running for their lives.

Par...

EXACTLY!! I wish you could have helped me explain that to my husband, Par...lol. He didn't care for the movie and all he kept saying was "there wasn't any plot to the movie and it was just that little girl screaming all the time". HELLO! It was about one family's attempt to SURVIVE and we were witnessing that.

finn's mom
07-08-2005, 09:18 PM
I'm watching The Terminal, I like it so far. :)

finn's mom
07-09-2005, 02:05 AM
Yeah, so, I watched that tonight. I liked it. It's not the best movie ever. Definitely not the best of Tom Hanks' movies. It was sweet, though, I laughed and it felt good. Not one I'd watch multiple times, but, it was nice.

binka_nugget
07-10-2005, 02:34 AM
I saw Fantastic Four today. Some parts were funny but I found most of the movie really cheesy. Overall, I didn't enjoy it.

finn's mom
07-10-2005, 02:37 AM
I saw Fantastic Four today. Some parts were funny but I found most of the movie really cheesy. Overall, I didn't enjoy it.

I've been wanting to hear a review...it kinda looked lame in the trailer. Those comic book films are so hit and miss, it's hard to tell.

I watched Batman (the first one) tonight. Man, I love that movie! :)

King Spartacus
07-10-2005, 07:12 AM
Just saw the The Machinist... and both me and my partner enjoyed the movie, but in the end felt it a bit TOO weird! And that's from 2 people that loved weird movies!

Can I just ask... has anyone seen Dead Birds? Loved it - loved it - loved it!!! Haven't been that scared from a film since I was 14, and saw Pet Cemetary!

Sylvie, KS' mom

anna_66
07-10-2005, 08:17 AM
We watched Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy with Will Ferrell and I have to say it really wasn't all that good. I expected it to be a little funnier than it was.
There were some good parts but mostly it was just stupid (and I even like stupid movies!).

finn's mom
07-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by King Spartacus
Just saw the The Machinist...

has anyone seen Dead Birds?

My brother saw the Machinist, and, I want to. I've heard mixed reviews, but, I still plan to see it.

I haven't seen Dead Birds, I need to tell my brother about it, he loves scary movies!

manda_moo87
07-10-2005, 09:38 PM
I watched Lilo & Stitch today, very cute movie. ;)

King Spartacus
07-11-2005, 05:27 AM
I haven't seen Dead Birds, I need to tell my brother about it, he loves scary movies!

Dead Bird is one of the strangest film I've ever seen (and VERY scary!!!)... It's a western, well, that's what you kind of believe in the begining anyway, which then turns into a suspence film, and from there turns into horror!

It's VERY low budget, but it's all in the way they use the music, and it's really, really scary! If anyone has any plans on seeing it: Do NOT see it alone, but DO see it in the dark!!!

Best wishes, Sylvie, KS' mom

ChrisH
07-11-2005, 08:57 AM
I've been wanting to hear a review...it kinda looked lame in the trailer.

Here are some press reviews of Fantastic Four
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4665469.stm

RobiLee
07-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Last night I watched "The Big Chill".

One of my all time favorites. Great movie and great soundtrack!

binka_nugget
07-16-2005, 04:02 PM
I saw Wedding Crashers last night. Oh gosh.. it was HILLARIOUS! I'm definitely seeing it again. :D

Suki Wingy
07-16-2005, 05:56 PM
I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory after summer school yesterday, it was funny. See my sig for my all time favorite quote that I agree with 100%!

finn's mom
07-17-2005, 08:36 AM
Ok, well, I posted in the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory thread, already. :) It was so much fun! YAY!

I also saw War of the Worlds. I was so surprised at how much I liked it. It was intense, and, I thought the ending was really good. It wouldn't have been appropriate in that film to go out with a bang, I don't think. I was pretty scared in some parts, actually, although overall my feeling was one of urgency, like, geez, hurry! ;) Good movie, though. Dakota Fanning annoyed me in parts, but, not any moreso than an actual child her age. Sorry if that offends anyone, she did a great job acting, though. I thought the actor playing Tom Cruise's son was hot. He's probably barely legal, I should wash my mouth out with soap for even saying that. ;)

Another movie preview I saw last night is a Disney live action movie about a golfer. It's called the greatest game ever played. and, it has that adorable boy from the disney show "even stevens", he has an odd name, I can't remember it. He was in that crap piece of a movie, Charlie's Angels 3. Ugh. But, he's so cute, here I go again. Washing my mouth out. :) It looks good, though!

finn's mom
07-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Wow, what a great animated film! I laughed a lot, and, just really enjoyed the movie. I came home last night after a long, hideous day, and, was trying to figure out if I was going to watch Garden State or The Incredibles. I'd never seen the Incredibles, so, I finally decided on that. The only thing that would have made it better was if it had been in widescreen. I borrowed the dvd from someone and it was the fullscreen version, which bugs me. But, it was still a great movie. I highly recommend it.

JenBKR
07-30-2005, 09:49 AM
I watched 'Hide & Seek' the other night. Wow that was a weird one. I loved it, and did not guess the ending. I like those psychological thrillers with twists.

ChrisH
07-30-2005, 12:41 PM
I watched 'Finding Neverland' and 'Arizona Dream' last week, 'What's eating Gilbert Grape' on Wednesday, 'From Hell' last night and 'Astronaut's Wife' this afternoon. :)

(Added to the others I've seen I think might be about a quarter way through the Johnny Depp films now :D)

finn's mom
07-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by ChrisH
I watched 'Finding Neverland' and 'Arizona Dream' last week, 'What's eating Gilbert Grape' on Wednesday, 'From Hell' last night and 'Astronaut's Wife' this afternoon. :)

(Added to the others I've seen I think might be about a quarter way through the Johnny Depp films now :D)

Awesome, what did you think of them? I've seen those except Arizona Dream and Astronaut's Wife......were those any good?

ChrisH
07-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Arizona Dream was ok ... just an aside, I love it when there are extra/bonus features on a DVD, in this case a long interview with Johnny about the film, which I think I enjoyed more.:D

I really enjoyed Astronauts Wife. Even though the story/theme isn't a new one I found it to be well paced and intriguing enough to keep me in my seat and interested. :)

But maybe you shouldn't take any notice of my opinions, the ones I have liked the best, The Brave, Secret Window, Don Juan de Marco have mostly had bad to lukewarm reviews. :D

finn's mom
07-30-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by ChrisH
Arizona Dream was ok ... just an aside, I love it when there are extra/bonus features on a DVD, in this case a long interview with Johnny about the film, which I think I enjoyed more.:D

I really enjoyed Astronauts Wife. Even though the story/theme isn't a new one I found it to be well paced and intriguing enough to keep me in my seat and interested. :)

But maybe you shouldn't take any notice of my opinions, the ones I have liked the best, The Brave, Secret Window, Don Juan de Marco have mostly had bad to lukewarm reviews. :D

I love extras on DVDs, especially bloopers/outtakes and interviews. I'll have to watch those two movies....and, as for the other three you mentioned, I've actually only ever seen Secret Window. I liked it, but, thought the ending was hokey. It almost ruined the whole film for me, I was disappointed. I had made that list of Depp films, and, put that I loved Don Juan de Marco, and, I don't know why. I've never seen it, but, I think I'll like it. I must have just been just so used to typing "loved it" when I did that list. ;)

Buddy Blaze Lover
07-30-2005, 01:49 PM
I haven't watched any movies today, but a few days ago, we went and saw "Batman Begins"...it was really good, I really enjoyed it!!:)

binka_nugget
07-30-2005, 02:45 PM
I saw The Island the other day. It was okay.. not too exciting. A bit gross at times.

I'm gonna watch Stealth, Must Love Dogs and Sky High this week. Can't wait!

carole
07-31-2005, 10:55 PM
A movie I enjoyed was ANGEL EYES, with Jennifer Lopez, unlike most people I like Jennifer's acting, I had taped this on video ages ago and the tape ran out, so I missed the ending, so it was good to see it finally after like a year lol.

My all time favourite was the THORN BIRDS as I am a great Richard Chamberlain fan, I am going to hire it out this week, I have seen it like three times, and I am a person who hates to watch a movie more than once usually, but I can see this one over and over again.

I went and saw the movie ARE WE THERE YET with Melissa, it was a Home alone type movie, but with a different storyline competely, it was quite enjoyable, a little over the top, but had some good comedy lines and some sweet bits in it.

finn's mom
07-31-2005, 11:08 PM
My all time favourite was the THORN BIRDS as I am a great Richard Chamberlain fan, I am going to hire it out this week, I have seen it like three times, and I am a person who hates to watch a movie more than once usually, but I can see this one over and over again.

I love that mini-series! Have you ever seen Somewhere in Time with Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeve? If you haven't, you should!

I watched I am Sam tonight with my parents. What a sweet movie. There were parts that brought tears to my eyes, I just think Sean Penn is awesome.

I watched Garden State with my mother today. I said this in my livejournal already, but, I would do just about anything to bottle the feeling I get when I watch that movie. It just fills me to the brim, and, I love it. It's definitely one of my favorites of all time.

Lexi_Lover
07-31-2005, 11:11 PM
Today I watched Cellular, it was a VERY good movie! I personally loved it. Action and kind of suspense. I recommend it to anybody! :)

carole
07-31-2005, 11:15 PM
No Kari I have not seen that movie, but will add it to the list, I am sam is when I fell in love with Sean Penn as an actor, before that I never really knew who he was much except he was once married to Madonna, after that movie I try and see every movie he is in because he is awesome, he deserved an award for that role, cannot remember if he got one or not?

I liked Mystic River as well.;)

I just got through watching SEX TRAFFIC a two part series on the TV, it was very good, sad though, about illegal trafficking of women in sarajevo, not sure if it was based on true story or not, if so it was terrible, these poor women were treated so bad it was disgusting.

finn's mom
07-31-2005, 11:20 PM
No Kari I have not seen that movie, but will add it to the list, I am sam is when I fell in love with Sean Penn as an actor, before that I never really knew who he was much except he was once married to Madonna, after that movie I try and see every movie he is in because he is awesome, he deserved an award for that role, cannot remember if he got one or not?

I liked Mystic River as well.;)

OH. MY. GOSH. Carole, you absolutely must see Somewhere in Time! My mother loves that movie and The Thornbirds. I think it's nearly impossible to like one and not the other. ;)

I can't remember when I really started liking Sean Penn. It's been before I am Sam, though, I k now that much. I really liked him in Hurly Burly and Sweet and Lowdown, those are two off the top of my head. And, Mystic River was a great, disturbing movie. He was incredible.

carole
07-31-2005, 11:22 PM
Sean and Johnny Depp are my all time favs, I just watched Secret Window in the weekend for the second time, just to see Johnny.:D

I will see if my son can get the movie for me this week when he goes back to work.:)

finn's mom
07-31-2005, 11:33 PM
I will see if my son can get the movie for me this week when he goes back to work.:)

If you get to watch it, let me know what you think. It's super sap, but, I love it!

carole
08-01-2005, 04:05 PM
I love super sap , so should like it I think.:D

RobiLee
08-01-2005, 04:59 PM
I recently watched Million Dollar Baby .

Excellent movie. I love all the actors in this movie and thought they all did a remarkable job. I didn't have a clue about what happened in the movie and I found out that it was a huge tearjerker! I bawled like a baby;). I must have been due for a good cry because I just couldn't shut off the waterworks...lol.

finn's mom
08-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by RobiLee
I recently watched Million Dollar Baby .

Excellent movie. I love all the actors in this movie and thought they all did a remarkable job. I didn't have a clue about what happened in the movie and I found out that it was a huge tearjerker! I bawled like a baby;). I must have been due for a good cry because I just couldn't shut off the waterworks...lol.

I was doing a search for something, and, saw that you said this. I loved this film. I saw it the day it won the Oscar for best picture. I'm not the biggest fan of Hilary Swank, but, man...she was fantastic in this. And, I think it's one of the best performances I've ever seen by Clint Eastwood. And, Morgan Freeman, too. Excellent movie...I think I read somewhere that they only actually filmed for a few days...I can't remember how many, though, but, it was not more than a month, which is crazy!

carole
08-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Alas Kari my son was unable to get any of the movies, they did not have them, slack I reckon, and Thorn Birds was out, still I will try again for that one.

The Horse Whisperer was one I really enjoyed, I am a big fan of Robert Redford, saw it first on big screen and twice on TV.

animal_rescue
08-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Today I watched:

Big Fish *tear*

Life Is Ruff
Disney Movie

The Notebook *another tear*

Little Black Book
Kind of a dissapointment, I expected more from the previews and that it!

jesse_3
08-09-2005, 11:22 PM
I watched:

Raise Your Voice, which is actually a good movie!

Balto #3, I was watching my little sisters, *YAWN* What can I say?

Steph and Jes

CountryWolf07
08-10-2005, 01:03 AM
"Must Love Dogs" and "Message in a Bottle"

cute_pup
08-10-2005, 04:01 AM
The Gladiator-Sad :( But cool:D

finn's mom
08-12-2005, 12:30 AM
My mom and I went to see The March of the Penguins...it was wonderful! Definitely a must see...it was so beautiful.

finn's mom
08-12-2005, 12:31 AM
Oh, and, I saw Wedding Crashers the other night, too. I thought I'd posted about it, but, i guess not. Anyway, it was really funny. Very raunchy, and, the characters were very stereotypical and predictable...but, I liked it a lot. Fun concept.

binka_nugget
08-12-2005, 12:53 AM
Oh, and, I saw Wedding Crashers the other night, too. I thought I'd posted about it, but, i guess not. Anyway, it was really funny. Very raunchy, and, the characters were very stereotypical and predictable...but, I liked it a lot. Fun concept.

I loved the dinner table scene. LMAO. :D

I'm going to see a screening of Deuce Bigalow at work in a little bit. Can't wait!

binka_nugget
08-12-2005, 04:34 AM
Just got back. It was hillarious! Loved it!

RobiLee
08-12-2005, 08:45 AM
"Guess Who"

I thought it was cute. Got a few giggles out of it. Hubby thought it got a bit too mushy.

cloverfdx
08-12-2005, 12:28 PM
I watched "A dog of flanders" last night, sweet little movie, i think i may have to buy my own copy.

luvofallhorses
08-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by cloverfdx
I watched "A dog of flanders" last night, sweet little movie, i think i may have to buy my own copy.

I love that movie! :) Argh I forgot the movie I watched last :rolleyes:

Jadapit
08-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by luvofallhorses
I love that movie! :) Argh I forgot the movie I watched last :rolleyes:

Krista, I think you watched Pacifer and Hitch.;) We just got Million Dollar Baby form Netflix, I cant wait to see it.

luvofallhorses
08-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Oh, yeah duh, but I didn't watch Hitch :p and yes I watched million dollar baby, too. It was ok, I didn't watch all of it..

finn's mom
08-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Jadapit
We just got Million Dollar Baby form Netflix, I cant wait to see it.

It is a really good movie. It's very real and moving, I loved it. It's intense. Clint Eastwood is wonderful. Let me know what you think of it!

carole
08-13-2005, 05:19 AM
Kari I just watched half of Garden State, in all honesty I was really bored with it, that is why I am on here and not watching it, hubby was not too impressed either,I guess we just have really different taste, either that or I just don't get it.:)

Has anyone seen Brides corpse? ( I may have the name not quite right) it is a coming attraction here and stars none other than the delightful Johnny Depp.

NoahsMommy
08-13-2005, 05:21 AM
I saw 'Must Love Dogs' the other day. It was cute. :)

carole
08-13-2005, 05:25 AM
Did anyone see Monster n Law? I wanted to go see that, but as usual I missed out.:( also the British Flick Ladies in Lavendar, anyone see that? it had very good reviews here.

finn's mom
08-13-2005, 08:11 AM
Kari I just watched half of Garden State, in all honesty I was really bored with it, that is why I am on here and not watching it, hubby was not too impressed either,I guess we just have really different taste, either that or I just don't get it.:)

Has anyone seen Brides corpse? ( I may have the name not quite right) it is a coming attraction here and stars none other than the delightful Johnny Depp.

Hey, it's cool. Garden State is completely character driven, there's not much plot at all. It's one of my favorites, of course, and, I haven't heard anyone say they didn't like it, yet. But, I knew they were out there. ;) My mom and I watched it, and, she liked it a lot, too. We obviously don't have too different of tastes, you and I, if we both love Thorn Birds. That kills me that you aren't bored with that long drama, cuz if anything bores anyone, the Thorn Birds will. ;) I love it, though!

Corpse Bride doesn't come out til September, but, I'll be first in line. I love Tim Burton and I've been hoping he'd release another claymation film. Nightmare Before Christmas was excellent. And, he uses both Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter all the time in his movies...she was in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory of course, and, big fish, both Burton films. When is it coming out there?

RobiLee
08-13-2005, 09:04 AM
"Alexander"

Awful, awful movie!! So boring. Hubby and I didn't even make it through the whole thing.:rolleyes:

Anita Cholaine
08-13-2005, 09:33 AM
Yeah, I didn't like Alexander very much... I think Alexander has a really interesting life, but the movie doesn't show it...:rolleyes:

binka_nugget
08-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Did anyone see Monster n Law? I wanted to go see that, but as usual I missed out.:(

I saw that. It was pretty good. Much better than I expected it to be. Not outstanding or anything though.

lizbud
08-13-2005, 06:30 PM
I watched North By Northwest, an old classic directed by
Alfred Hitchcock. The first time that I'd seen the whole movie.

I just love Turner Classic Movies.:D

GoldenRetrLuver
08-13-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
I watched North By Northwest, an old classic directed by
Alfred Hitchcock.

GREAT movie! Definitely one of my favorites.

Didn't really watch any movies today, but tomorrow I might go see either Wedding Crashers or The Skeleton Key. Haven't decided yet.

carole
08-14-2005, 12:03 AM
let me know what you think of The Skeleton Key, I am keen to see if it is any good., I love Kate Hudson, so hopefully it will be a movie I would enjoy.

I knew I got that name wrong of course it was Corpse Bride, it looks like an interesting movie.

kari I just cannot compare The Thorn Birds with Garden State, to me they are so different, I guess I just like a love story that is nice and easy going, the other one was too weird for me, it just did not hold my interest for longer than half an hour, each to their own, I agree we don't have completely different taste, we just differ on some movies I guess .:D , hey if we all liked the same things in life, what a dull boring lot we would be after all.

I am still keen to get the movie with Jane seymour and Christopher Reeves in it if I can, but can't get hold of it as of now, but hopefully I might be able to.

I am going to watch Maid in Manhatten for the second time tonight on TV, I am a J lopez fan, and like all of her movies, did anyone see Gigi , with her then financee Ben affleck, I heard it was a major flop.

lady_zana
08-14-2005, 03:12 AM
Me and the hubby went to see the new Deuce Bigalow movie. It was hilarious! Just an hour and a half of dumb fun. I'm going again soon with my sister because she hasn't seen it yet:D

lady_zana
08-14-2005, 03:21 AM
On a more serious note, I made the hubby watch Angels in America with me last week. I wanted to discuss it with him (I'd seen it before) so I made him watch it an hour a night so we could talk about each act afterward. (It's six hours long; an HBO miniseries.)

I love it; it is probably my favorite movie. Has anyone else seen it?

finn's mom
08-14-2005, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
GREAT movie! Definitely one of my favorites.

Didn't really watch any movies today, but tomorrow I might go see either Wedding Crashers or The Skeleton Key. Haven't decided yet.

I saw Wedding Crashers, it was really funny. If you don't like raunchy humor (and boobs) don't go see it. ;) If you see Skeleton Key, let me know what you think, it looks pretty cool. But, good scary movies are so hard to come by.

finn's mom
08-14-2005, 05:37 AM
kari I just cannot compare The Thorn Birds with Garden State, to me they are so different,

Ha, yeah, they are very different. I love The Thorn Birds, but, it is far from real...which is the point, I guess...I love those perfect love stories, where everyone always looks so amazing, and, breathless and perfect. And, it's always sooooo dramatic and theatrical. ;) Everyone says everything just right, and, it's all so passionate and perfect. Good, sappy, perfect romance novel type love stories. I love it! :) I only made the comparison, because they're both love stories and they're both more character driven than anything...a lot of dialogue, and, not always a lot going on. And, for Garden State...it's just more realistic, meaning they're not fancy characters, just normal, average young people, and, it's not a theatrical love story, it's very simple and funny in many parts (silly funny when it's the girl, sarcastic funny when it's the guy). I loved it because I can so relate to the girl (Sam), except for the lying all the time part, and, I know so many people that are like several of the other characters in some way.

I am still keen to get the movie with Jane seymour and Christopher Reeves in it if I can, but can't get hold of it as of now, but hopefully I might be able to.

You really have to! It's another sappy, totally dramatic, unrealistic, romantic movie. They always look breathless and perfect, it's wonderful! No one is average looking, they all look like they were handpicked out of the perfect catalogue, ha ha. ;) It's one of my all time favorite romance movies, I cry like a fool every time. It is just really beautiful! It's on dvd and vhs, so, it shouldn't be too hard to get ahold of. Let me know when you do!

did anyone see Gigi , with her then financee Ben affleck, I heard it was a major flop.

It was apparently a really horrible movie, totally laughable. I know die hard lopez fans that were just embarassed for her. I don't know, I'm not a big fan of hers to begin with. The only thing so far I've liked her performance in was Selena, and, that's in movies and in music. ;) My mom likes a lot of her cute little romantic comedies, though. I never saw Maid, though, the concept is old, but, still cute. Let me know about Gigli, though, if you see it...

sirrahbed
08-14-2005, 08:40 AM
The Great Raid just came out Friday and we saw it yesterday. It was a pretty typical war movie in most ways (hubby loves them) but it did make me cry. It was historical with a romance thrown in. I heard a review about it that told how difficult it was to find enough really thin actors - and even they had to diet for the movie. One of the main actors was Joseph Fiennes, who played Martin Luther in that movie several years ago - not too widely viewed. He is really good in both roles I think.

ChrisH
08-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Once Upon a Time in Mexico, watched it last night, though I plan to watch it again today. Crazy, comic book, violent, yet funny film, reminded me of some of the comic books my JJ used to have. The plot lost me until close to the end - but I loved it!! :D

CamCamPup33
08-14-2005, 10:07 AM
I'm watching Edward Scissorhands right now. :D I LOVE this movie.

sirrahbed
08-14-2005, 10:26 AM
We just watched a VERY good movie - called "I am David". Oh so good!!! We often pick out movies that we never heard of and they are often better than the highly publicized ones:D "I am David" was a real tearjerker and feel good movie - one of the actors was Jim Caviezel, who played Jesus in "Passion of Christ". The filmography was beautiful, too!!

carole
08-14-2005, 07:13 PM
I really enjoyed the life of David Gale, excuse me if I get the names wrong I have a terrible memory for film names, Kari I love those cutesy romantic comedies, I guess that is why I always like J lopez because she quite often is in movies like that., i think you either love her or hate her., the best part of Maid in Manhattan was Ralp Feinnes(sp) he is damn mighty fine IMO.

This is a bit of the subject, more relating to a TV programme, but have any of our British Pter's watched the medical series Bodies, this has a very good story line, but oh my gosh, talk about soft porn, i have to say even I was shocked at just how much was shown on TV at 9.30 pm at night, a little too much for my liking.

cute_pup
08-15-2005, 05:34 AM
OMG i watched Maid in Manhattan!! was ok.

I just watched "The Grudge" -soooooo scary!!

anna_66
08-15-2005, 08:28 AM
We went yesterday and watched The Dukes of Hazard.
Kinda like Starsky & Hutch, made the characters much
stupider than they were in the series. But overall very
funny. Ever heard of an Appalachian American...OMG
Mark got the biggest kick out of that!!!

Also watched Ray & Friday Night Lights this weekend...
good movies...two thumbs up:)

Cincy'sMom
08-15-2005, 02:20 PM
I still haven't decided if I can watch Dukes or not. I'm such a huge fan of the original, I just don't know if I can do it...maybe on video.

We watch Harold and Kumar go to White Castle last night. Certainly not intelligent comedy, but if very funny...offensive to many, but funny!

JenBKR
08-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Hubby and I went to the drive-in saturday night and saw Charlie and the Chocolate factory and The Dukes of Hazzard. Seems all hollywood can make anymore are remakes. Anyway...Charlie & the CF was good, different than the 1st one, with a different ending. I liked it. And with Johnny Depp...can't go wrong :D The Dukes was pretty good, either they changed a few things or messed them up: for example Bo drove the general lee, which he NEVER did in the original. The characters seemed dumber than the originals too.

finn's mom
08-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Ray was a great movie, Anna! I loved it, but, I've been such a huge fan of Ray Charles for my entire life! :) I thought Friday Night Lights was good, too, but, not one I'd watch more than the once at the theater.

I won't see Dukes of Hazzard, more than likely, because Jessica Simpson gets on my very last nerve. I did like the tv show, but, the fact that this isn't like it isn't why I won't see it. If it was anyone but Jessica as Daisy, I'd probably go see it. ;)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ended like the book did, but, definitely different from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I'm sure Roald Dahl would have liked this version a lot better, since it went more along with the book, and, the Gene Wilder version didn't.

I'm hoping to sit at home tonight and watch a movie tonight. Not sure what, though. Probably will watch Garden State again...it always just makes me feel so hopeful and glad to be alive. :)

kittycats_delight
08-15-2005, 03:23 PM
We just watched.

The Dancer Upstairs John Malkovich's directorial debut. It was stunning. What an incredible movie. Everything Malkovich touches seems to tuirn to gold. A must see.

Rabbit Proof Fence it is based in Australia in the 1930's and about 3 little aboriginal girls who are ripped from the mothers because they are half-caste(half white, half aboriginal) and put into a "sanctuary" so they can breed the black out of them kinda. You'll understand when you watch it. And how the little girls, ages 8-14 escape and travel on foot over 2000km to get back to their people. Intense. And an amazing story.

Ripley's Game Another must see starring John Malkovich. I just love him. It is sooo worth seeing even if you don't like psychological thrillers.

finn's mom
08-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by kittycats_delight
We just watched.

The Dancer Upstairs John Malkovich's directorial debut. It was stunning. What an incredible movie. Everything Malkovich touches seems to tuirn to gold. A must see.

I've been meaning to see that. I love Malkovich, too. He's such a weirdo, but, I love it! :)

kittycats_delight
08-15-2005, 04:13 PM
I've been meaning to see that. I love Malkovich, too. He's such a weirdo, but, I love it! :)

I will warn you there is so pretty graphic animal (dog) stuff in it. I don't want to say much as it is quite a hard hitting image. But the movie is marvelous. :)

finn's mom
08-15-2005, 04:20 PM
I will warn you there is so pretty graphic animal (dog) stuff in it. I don't want to say much as it is quite a hard hitting image. But the movie is marvelous. :)

If you don't mind, pm me the type of images in it. I can handle most things, but, there are one or two things that come to mind that I won't watch the movie if it's a part of it.

carole
08-15-2005, 06:19 PM
A movie coming here that I would like to see is The Woodsman starring Kevin Bacon who is a Paedophile released from Prison, it sounds an interesting film,and I am a big Fan of kevin's.

Also Queen of Sheba's Pearls, not sure what that one is all about, and Millions opens here on Sunday, anyone seen or heard about these movies?

JenBKR
08-17-2005, 11:33 AM
We watched Wicker Park last night. It was interesting, a little weird, but good :)

manda_moo87
08-17-2005, 02:33 PM
Mermaids :D

finn's mom
08-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by manda_moo87
Mermaids :D

I love that movie. Oh, my gosh, the guy she has a crush on, WOW! What a hottie...Johnny Angel...:)

kittycats_delight
08-17-2005, 03:20 PM
A movie coming here that I would like to see is The Woodsman starring Kevin Bacon who is a Paedophile released from Prison, it sounds an interesting film,and I am a big Fan of kevin's.

We seen that and I thought it was great.

GoldenRetrLuver
08-19-2005, 08:47 PM
I finally saw The Skeleton Key tonight.. wow. I thought it was an awesome movie, I loved it. Kate Hudson gave an outstanding performance, just like I thought she would. It was very much a psychological thriller and I enjoyed it. If any of you have been thinking about seeing it, I strongly suggest you DO! :)

manda_moo87
08-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Just finished watching Shall We Dance and on Wednesday night my friend and I watched Hide And Seek.

dukedogsmom
08-19-2005, 09:11 PM
I finally saw The Skeleton Key tonight.. wow. I thought it was an awesome movie, I loved it. Kate Hudson gave an outstanding performance, just like I thought she would. It was very much a psychological thriller and I enjoyed it. If any of you have been thinking about seeing it, I strongly suggest you DO! :)
I agree! I got to see it today and loved it. Great ending!

carole
08-19-2005, 11:29 PM
My daughter is going to see Skeleton Key next week, she is not easily scared, so I think she will love it.,our review guy did not give Kate a good review on her acting ability in this movie, but what the heck does he know, Kate is always awesome in my books .:)

finn's mom
08-20-2005, 01:49 AM

Cool, I have been trying to hear from anyone who's seen it for any kind of review. Thanks for posting this! :)

dukedogsmom
08-20-2005, 01:12 PM
I saw the Skeleton Key yesterday and loved it! It was a lot better than I thought it would be. Great ending.

Kfamr
08-20-2005, 01:17 PM

Ditto what Julie said.
I thought it was going to be completely stupid, especially since it's only PG13, but it was pretty good. :) I saw it the day it opened with a few friends and jumped once. :o When the guy choked her in his apartment/house/whatever.

Vette
08-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Constine(SP?) dang thing nearly put me to sleep

carole
08-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Yeah Constantine my daughter wanted to see that, and hired it out but found it toooo....boring.

dukedogsmom
08-20-2005, 05:18 PM
Yeah Constantine my daughter wanted to see that, and hired it out but found it toooo....boring.
Good to know that! I almost rented it at Blockbuster last night.

carole
08-20-2005, 05:20 PM
Well keep in mind Melissa is only 13, so what appeals to her may not to older people, but then Vette is in her early twenties and she did not like it either.:)

BitsyNaceyDog
08-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Justin and I just watched A Beautiful Mind. We'd seen it a few years ago in the theater and loved it. Justin bought it this past week and we watched it tonight. It's such a good movie.

finn's mom
08-21-2005, 12:21 AM
Justin and I just watched A Beautiful Mind. We'd seen it a few years ago in the theater and loved it. Justin bought it this past week and we watched it tonight. It's such a good movie.

That is a great movie. Have you seen The Insider, yet? It and A Beautiful Mind are two of my favorite Russell Crowe movies... they're both dramas and based on true people.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-21-2005, 07:57 AM
Have you seen The Insider, yet?

No, I haven't. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to see it.

finn's mom
08-21-2005, 08:47 AM
No, I haven't. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to see it.

Have you ever seen Heat or Collateral? They're directed by the same director that did the Insider, so, it's filmed similarly. He has a very interesting style, and, the score is really intense. Al Pacino and Christopher Plummer are in the film, as well.

carole
08-21-2005, 05:47 PM
The house of Sand and Fog (hope i got that name right or close to it lol) was a reasonably good movie I watched not that long ago.

finn's mom
08-21-2005, 08:27 PM
The house of Sand and Fog (hope i got that name right or close to it lol) was a reasonably good movie I watched not that long ago.

Is that the one with Ben Kingsley and Jennifer Connolly? I wanted to see that, it looked intense, if that's the movie I think you're talking about. :)

RobiLee
08-21-2005, 09:03 PM
We just watched "Sin City".

I also watched "Somethings Gotta Give". I just love that movie.

finn's mom
08-21-2005, 09:03 PM
We just watched "Sin City".

Was it a fun movie?

RobiLee
08-21-2005, 09:13 PM
hmmm, i guess you could say it was a fun movie. Not really for sure how to describe it. When we first started watching it I thought "OMG, I'll never make it through this movie". Then I found myself getting into it. It is definitely different, but you have to remember it is a Tarentino and Rodriquez(spelling) movie.

kittycats_delight
08-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Is that the one with Ben Kingsley and Jennifer Connolly? I wanted to see that, it looked intense, if that's the movie I think you're talking about. :)

That's right with Ben Kingsley and Jennifer Connolly. I loved it. It was very intense. A beautiful film IMHO. I watched it quite awhile ago originally and actually loved it so much I bought the movie. I have watched it several times and there are still scenes that grip you in a strong hold and stick with you.

Watched Suspect Zero recently and loved it. Another one with Ben Kingsley. Nice concept and different, a very good different. Kingsley is outstanding once again.

Watched Amelie again last night for the 4th time. I love this quirky, intelligent, funny film. I thoroughly enjoy it each and everytime I see it.

Owwww, I almost forgot. The Pledge with Jack Nicholson. Magnificent. An absolute must see. I will say no more though. Nicholson's character is fabulous. So tragic.

finn's mom
08-21-2005, 09:36 PM
It is definitely different, but you have to remember it is a Tarentino and Rodriquez(spelling) movie.

I love both of them! Four Rooms is one of my favorites! :) Cool, now I really want to see it, I didn't know who directed it...

finn's mom
08-21-2005, 09:38 PM
Watched Suspect Zero recently and loved it. Another one with Ben Kingsley. Nice concept and different, a very good different. Kingsley is outstanding once again.

Watched Amelie again last night for the 4th time. I love this quirky, intelligent, funny film. I thoroughly enjoy it each and everytime I see it.

Owwww, I almost forgot. The Pledge with Jack Nicholson. Magnificent. An absolute must see. I will say no more though. Nicholson's character is fabulous. So tragic.

I love Ben Kingsley, but, haven't seen Suspect Zero yet. I think my friend has it, so, I'll have to borrow it one night. And, Amelie is a great movie! Haven't seen the Pledge, though, but, I love Jack Nicholson!

binka_nugget
08-23-2005, 09:04 PM
I saw "Red Eye" and "The 40 Year Old Virgin" today. Red Eye was pretty good. I love Rachel McAdams. 40 Year Old Virgin was a riot. Very funny!

dukedogsmom
08-23-2005, 09:17 PM
Secret Window with Johnny Depp. Great movie! I had it figured out about halfway through but that didn't spoil it at all. I'm getting ready to watch Sean of the Dead. I heard it was a great comedy.

sirrahbed
08-23-2005, 09:25 PM
Hubby and I went to see Skeleton Key. He thought it was scary and I thought it was just plain dumb:p

finn's mom
08-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I'm getting ready to watch Sean of the Dead. I heard it was a great comedy.

Oh, man, that movie made me laugh so hard! It was awesome! Not for everyone, but, I thought it was wonderful.

finn's mom
09-03-2005, 06:05 PM
the forty year old virgin. not worth more than a couple bucks, but, i did laugh. :)

kittycats_delight
09-03-2005, 07:36 PM
We just watched "The Skeleton Key" and hubby and I both enjoyed it thoroughly. :) We also just watched Lion King 1 1/2 again. It always makes us laugh.

carole
09-03-2005, 10:22 PM
The River Queen will make its debut in Toronto, if anyone there gets to see it, i would love to know what you think, all filmed in Aoetearoa (NZ), I have heard it is mean't to be brilliant.

lady_zana
09-04-2005, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
Secret Window with Johnny Depp. Great movie! I had it figured out about halfway through but that didn't spoil it at all.

You know what I thought was cute? They changed the ending from the short story! All through the movie, the big deal was about changing the ending of the novel and the movie's ending was different from the short story....I thought that was great:)

I saw Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. It's wonderful but oh so sad. I cried and I don't normally cry in theatres. It's a good movie but a better book. It's a YA (young adult) novel so it's an easy read. :)

cloverfdx
09-04-2005, 08:16 AM
Once Upon a Time in Mexico, watched it last night, though I plan to watch it again today. Crazy, comic book, violent, yet funny film, reminded me of some of the comic books my JJ used to have.
LMBO i think i fell asleep when i went to see that :o. I have since watched it again and did stay awake and thought it was ok.

I went to see "Charlie and the CF" and i thought it was great, the first movie i have seen in a long time that i have enjoyed. It will definitely be joining the DVD collection when released.

I also watched "Stand By Me" again today, i love that movie *Tears*.

Desert Arabian
09-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Haven't watched any movies so far today.

Last night I saw 40 Year Old Virgin, I loved it! I was constantly laughing until I couldn't breathe, my eyes were watery and my stomach was cramped.

I have been watching The Boondock Saints a lot recently, it is one of my favorite movies. Very action-packed, very good movie. Not to mention the two Irish men are H-O-T! :p

sirrahbed
09-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Anyone remember Young Frankenstein? It is Mel Brooks with Terri Garr, Gene Wilder, Marty Feldman many others...so funny!!:D

I think we have watched it dozens and dozens of times. There are so many lines in that movie that we use all the time in regular conversation and I forget where they come from until I watch the movie again. It ALWAYS makes me :D

Desert Arabian
09-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Young Frankenstein is a CLASSIC! Who cannot love that movie? I have been watching that movie since I was a toddler. Gene Wilder is a great man, hilarious actor!

kittycats_delight
09-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Anyone remember Young Frankenstein? It is Mel Brooks with Terri Garr, Gene Wilder, Marty Feldman many others...so funny!!:D

I think we have watched it dozens and dozens of times. There are so many lines in that movie that we use all the time in regular conversation and I forget where they come from until I watch the movie again. It ALWAYS makes me :D

Hubby is a big Mel Brooks fan. We have Young Frankenstein. I got it for him as one of his Christmas gifts. A few other Mel Brooks films we love are "Space Balls", "Blazing Saddles" and "Robin Hood Men In Tights".

I think my favorite is "Men In Tights" that was too funny. Little John is just the best. :D

Oh yeah and if you get a chance and can find it. Look for Frankenweenie. It's a Tim Burton short. Hilarious !!! :D

gemini9961
09-04-2005, 12:37 PM
I saw Jersey Girl (Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler, JLo's part was small), I seriously thought it was going to be awful but it really wasn't that bad. Nothing Oscar worthy of course, but I sat through the whole thing. I keep hearing RAVE reviews about Wedding Crashers (Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson), so I will need to see that one day.

RobiLee
09-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Diary Of A Mad Black Woman.

I liked it:)

finn's mom
09-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Desert Arabian
I have been watching The Boondock Saints a lot recently, it is one of my favorite movies. Very action-packed, very good movie. Not to mention the two Irish men are H-O-T! :p

One of my favorites!! I love it. I saw it for the first time a year or so ago, and, I've watched it about thirty times...what a great soundtrack! That scene with the toilet is awesome! :) And, yeah, they are super gorgeous.

finn's mom
09-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Anyone remember Young Frankenstein?

I love that film! It's a favorite comedy of mine. Put zee candle beck. Ha ha ha. And, pardon me boy...is this the Transylvania station? Or, how about when they have to touch elbows cuz he can't touch her nails, her dress, her hair, her makeup...that's genius. I always do that when my hands are full and hope that the other person knows the movie. Frau Blucher!!! That's a tremendous movie...

GoldenRetrLuver
09-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Just finished watching The Grudge. Man, I've forgotten how lame that movie is. :p I LOVE Sarah Michelle Gellar, she's one of my favorite actresses, but I was kinda disappointed with the whole movie, although I'd like to see the Japanese version.

binka_nugget
09-05-2005, 12:35 AM
I just saw The Constant Gardener. It was SOOOO good!

kittycats_delight
09-05-2005, 01:12 AM
Just watched March of the Penguins and Wedding Crashers.

OMG March of the penguins was beautiful and I can guarentee if you love wildlife you will love this movie and you can be sure you will cry once or twice. So beautiful and so heartwretching.

Wedding Crashers was better than I thought it would be. Vince Vaughn is just fabulous in it. And it is quite funny. Some of the lines between Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson are priceless. It was worth seeing.

Desert Arabian
09-05-2005, 02:39 AM
Went and saw Redeye starring Rachel McAdams with my friend Emily this evening- it was really good, I liked it a lot! Then we went back to her house and watched Boondock Saints AGAIN.

finn's mom
09-05-2005, 06:06 AM
I just saw The Constant Gardener. It was SOOOO good!

I can't wait to see that one.

finn's mom
09-05-2005, 06:06 AM
OMG March of the penguins was beautiful and I can guarentee if you love wildlife you will love this movie and you can be sure you will cry once or twice. So beautiful and so heartwretching.

I loved that movie! I ended up not crying, which surprised me...but, it's such a touching, wonderful film...Morgan Freeman's voice is perfect!

Suki Wingy
09-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Alexander.
Camera skills, it was awsome, story wize, it was a laugh.

Almita
09-05-2005, 01:22 PM
I was watching a movie on FOX and OMG it was so good but darn I forgot the name. I just loved it! SO funny romantic and more!

finn's mom
09-14-2005, 11:37 PM
What a cool film! I wasn't sure if I'd like it, even though I knew it would be entertaining. But, I loved it. It was sexy, stylish, and, clever. Very different, and, not for everyone, but, I'll be buying it when I'm able to start collecting movies and music again. :)

manda_moo87
09-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Cold Mountain

JenBKR
09-15-2005, 08:49 AM
I watched Turner & Hooch the other day for the 1000 time...I LOVE that movie! Hooch is sooo cute! :D

luvofallhorses
09-15-2005, 10:45 AM
I watched Guess Who and Racing Stripes over the weekend, both really good movies!! :)

Jamieejo85
09-15-2005, 01:38 PM
I just got done watching my favorite movie..Stand and Deliver.

finn's mom
09-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Jamieejo85
I just got done watching my favorite movie..Stand and Deliver.

I love that movie! :)

finn's mom
09-20-2005, 06:18 AM
I went to see the transporter 2 last night, just to kill time. It wasn't that great, but, I enjoyed it. Not something I'll watch again, but, there were some good car scenes and some crazy fight sequences. Totally unrealistic and sometimes very cheesy, but, a fun flick.

Watched Joe Vs the Volcano last night, too...for the umpteenth time. ;) That's one of my favorite movies, it is so sweet and pure.

And, I watched Miracle on my birthday. That movie is incredible!

Some movies I want to see...

The Constant Gardener
Flightplan
An Unfinished Life (I hope Jennifer Lopez doesn't suck...if it weren't for Rober Redford and Morgan Freeman, I'd not be interested)

and, there are a couple other ones coming soon that I want to see, but, it's too early to think right now. ;)

finn's mom
09-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Very cool, different, sweet, dark, funny movie. I thought it was great! Jim Carrey is amazing!

luvofallhorses
09-26-2005, 11:05 PM
The last movie I seen was Elecktra...one crazy a** movie but soo good :D

dukedogsmom
09-26-2005, 11:52 PM
I saw a very old one last night. The Inner Sanctum. I watched it at www.watchfilms.com You can view old cartoons and movies and commercials. Some of those old commercials are hilarious!

cloverfdx
09-27-2005, 10:11 AM
I watched the worst movie a few nights ago "Overnight Delivery", with Reese Witherspoon and Alicia Silverstone, it never went to the big screen and i know why.

I also watched one of my all time favourite movies "Stand By Me" , it is such a beautiful but sad movie. River Phoenix was amazing in it. And Wil Wheton did a great job aswell.

RobiLee
09-27-2005, 10:27 AM
I watched "Fever Pitch" the other night and thought it was really good.

sirrahbed
09-27-2005, 11:08 AM
We watched "Anger Managemnet" and I thought it was pretty funny and I like the "twist";)

carole
09-28-2005, 12:57 AM
Melissa and I just watched Australian movie Hating Alison Ashley, hmm not that great but ok I suppose, chick type flick, and then White Noise with Michael Keaton, that was pretty good, scarey in parts, but then I am easily scared for sure.

binka_nugget
09-28-2005, 01:02 AM
I saw Just Like Heaven, Transporter 2 and Corpse Bride last week. Just Like Heaven was okay.. kind of cheesy though. I loved Transporter 2. Totally unrealistic but I'm in love with Jason Statham (and the black Audi) :D. Corpse Bride was pretty good. I really like the songs.

I caught the ending of Flight Plan a few days ago. I didn't enjoy it at all.

finn's mom
09-28-2005, 09:51 AM
I saw Just Like Heaven, Transporter 2 and Corpse Bride last week. Just Like Heaven was okay.. kind of cheesy though. I loved Transporter 2. Totally unrealistic but I'm in love with Jason Statham (and the black Audi) :D. Corpse Bride was pretty good. I really like the songs.

I caught the ending of Flight Plan a few days ago. I didn't enjoy it at all.

I enjoyed the Transporter 2, also. The chick was annoying to me, but, other than that...Jason Statham is a hottie, so, I just overlooked her. ;) I can't wait to see the Corpse Bride! I totally forgot that was already out! I haven't disliked anything from Tim Burton, though, so, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

I wonder if you didn't enjoy Flightplan, because it didn't make sense, because you only caught the ending? I don't know, I'm kinda bummed to hear you didn't like it, as it's one I'm planning to see, maybe even tonight, if my mom will go with me. Your's is the first "review" I've heard from a moviegoer...

I also want to see The Greatest Game Ever Played, that comes out on Friday!

Jadapit
09-28-2005, 09:58 AM
I finally watched *CRASH* last night. Omg, that was an awesome movie. One of the best I have ever seen. I cant quit thinking about all the things that happened to eveyone in that movie. ;)

finn's mom
09-28-2005, 10:41 AM
I finally watched *CRASH* last night. Omg, that was an awesome movie. One of the best I have ever seen. I cant quit thinking about all the things that happened to eveyone in that movie. ;)

I agree, that movie had me thinking for about a week after seeing it. The one scene that really hurt to watch was when the two cops pulled the couple over and proceeded to frisk them. OMG, I can't remember the last time I felt that way while watching a movie. It was so real feeling, and, made my stomach hurt, the actors did great job. It's cool that you saw it, too.

JenBKR
09-28-2005, 10:49 AM

Is that the newer one with Sandra Bullock? I want to see that! I'll have to go rent it now :D

Jadapit
09-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by JenBKR
Is that the newer one with Sandra Bullock? I want to see that! I'll have to go rent it now :D

Yes, thats the one! Do go rent it!! Have your kleenex ready when you watch it. Let me know what you thought of it after you see it.:)

finn's mom
09-28-2005, 10:53 AM

Sorry to answer for Donna, but, yes...there are tons of good people in this movie, but, no one really has huge parts...it's several stories that intertwine. Beware, though, it is extremely vulgar. That doesn't bother me, but, it does some people. The movie basically centers around racism, and, all the problems surrounding judging people because of the color of their skin. It's an incredible movie, but, not pleasant in the slightest. I'm not trying to steer you away from the movie, at all. Just wanted to let you know up front what it it's all about. I have a friend that went and was disgusted, but, she's very sensitive and only likes to watch fun movies. ;) Anyway, it got an A+ in my book!

edited: ha ha, looks like she beat me to answering your question. sorry for jumping the gun, you guys. :)

Jadapit
09-28-2005, 11:04 AM
You explained it a lot better than I did Kari!;) I cant believe how good Ludicras (rapper) was at acting. The part you were talking about really got to me also Kari. There are probably cops out there just like that.:( Another part that got me was when that same cop came across the lady he had pulled over in the car wreck. Wow!! I agree with you A+ all the way on that movie.

JenBKR
09-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Ok thanks for the info guys! It sounds really good, I thought it had something to do with racism, but I couldn't really remember. Thanks!

binka_nugget
09-28-2005, 11:58 AM
I enjoyed the Transporter 2, also. The chick was annoying to me, but, other than that...Jason Statham is a hottie, so, I just overlooked her. ;) I can't wait to see the Corpse Bride! I totally forgot that was already out! I haven't disliked anything from Tim Burton, though, so, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

I wonder if you didn't enjoy Flightplan, because it didn't make sense, because you only caught the ending? I don't know, I'm kinda bummed to hear you didn't like it, as it's one I'm planning to see, maybe even tonight, if my mom will go with me. Your's is the first "review" I've heard from a moviegoer...

I also want to see The Greatest Game Ever Played, that comes out on Friday!

I caught enough to understand what happened earlier (I think I caught the middle to the ending). It wasn't horrible or anything.. I think I'm just really picky about my movies. :p

JenBKR
09-28-2005, 12:02 PM
I heard a review of Flightplan on the radio that said the ending stunk...I really want to see that though. Kari if you go see it let me know if you like it!

finn's mom
09-28-2005, 12:03 PM
I heard a review of Flightplan on the radio that said the ending stunk...I really want to see that though. Kari if you go see it let me know if you like it!

Will do. I'm going to see if my mom will go tonight. I'm for sure going on Friday to see The Greatest Game Ever Played. I don't care if I have to see that by myself, I'm going. :)

JenBKR
09-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Will do. I'm going to see if my mom will go tonight. I'm for sure going on Friday to see The Greatest Game Ever Played. I don't care if I have to see that by myself, I'm going. :)

Too bad we don't live closer, I want to see both of those! :D

finn's mom
09-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Too bad we don't live closer, I want to see both of those! :D

No kidding!

finn's mom
09-30-2005, 03:00 PM
I'm going tonight to see The Greatest Game Ever Played, I'll give my thoughts either after the movie or tomorrow! I think I'll love it, Disney always seems to do a good job on live action sports themed films. And, I love the actor, Shia Labouf or however his name is spelled. He's just adorable, and, I think he'll do great in a dramatic role...I don't think I've seen him in anything other than a comedy, yet...

Flatcoatluver
09-30-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by luvofallhorses
I watched Guess Who and Racing Stripes over the weekend, both really good movies!! :)
ahh i still have to sse guess who

finn's mom
10-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Oh, my gosh! The Greatest Game Ever Played was wonderful! The cinemetography is gorgeous, wonderful color, really awesome characters! Shia Labeouf (sorry if I spelled that incorrectly) was fantastic as the main character, Francis Ouimet. If you like true, WOW stories, this is a good one. This 20-year-old amateur (used to be a caddie!) in a US Open against seasoned professional veterans...it's a true hero story! I knew a little about it before the movie came out, but, it is a really feel good movie. The little boy that plays his caddie is a spunky little doll. Elias Koteas plays his french dad, and, he's great. Anyway, it's a good family movie, and, made me cry at the very end. I'll probably go and see it again. If I had more thumbs, I'd give more than two thumbs up! ;)

RobiLee
10-01-2005, 10:46 PM
I just watched "Crash". Very good movie.

wolfie
10-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Heh, Zoolander.

wolfie
10-01-2005, 11:06 PM
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Very cool, different, sweet, dark, funny movie. I thought it was great! Jim Carrey is amazing!
I thought that movie was awesome too! A lot of people didn't like it though. *shrugs*

binka_nugget
10-01-2005, 11:10 PM
I saw Lord of War last night. It was SOOOO good! Definitely one of the best movies I've seen in a while.

finn's mom
10-02-2005, 12:22 AM
I just watched "Crash". Very good movie.

Most definitely.

finn's mom
10-02-2005, 12:24 AM
I thought that movie was awesome too! A lot of people didn't like it though. *shrugs*

The people I know that didn't like it thought it was going to be a Jim Carrey movie...and, a lot of his fans don't like when he does something different from his Ace Ventura/Dumb and Dumber/The Mask routine...I love his physical comedy, yes. But, he's a tremendous actor in other ways, too...He's like a chameleon, he can do anything. I thought it was a great movie. :)

finn's mom
10-03-2005, 11:03 PM
The Corpse Bride. Loved it! It's beautifully done, and, the music, done by Danny Elfman, of course, is so clever and fun! Johnny Depp's character is so charming and clumsy. I thought Emily Watson's voice was perfect, it's like bells. It's amazing what Tim Burton can do with clay! The little dog, Scraps, is really cute...like the ghost dog, Zero, in The Nightmare Before Christmas!

cloverfdx
10-06-2005, 12:03 PM
I bought and watched "The Goonies" last night, great movie :D. And also "Boys Dont Cry" with Hilary Swank, i finally found it on DVD interesting movie.

Jadapit
10-06-2005, 12:17 PM
I bought and watched "The Goonies" last night, great movie :D. And also "Boys Dont Cry" with Hilary Swank, i finally found it on DVD interesting movie.

Isnt "Boys Dont Cry" a wild movie? I think Hilary Swank did an outstanding job in that movie. I think she is a great actress, I dont know why she isnt in more movies....

finn's mom
10-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Isnt "Boys Dont Cry" a wild movie? I think Hilary Swank did an outstanding job in that movie. I think she is a great actress, I dont know why she isnt in more movies....

Have you seen her in Million Dollar Baby, yet? She's outstanding. The whole cast is so perfect, and, it's just an incredibly moving film.

Jadapit
10-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Yes, I did see Million Dollar Baby. Outstanding movie! The cast was perfect together. Clint Eastwood did an amazing job, as did Morgan Freeman. It was a very moving movie. One of the best I have seen in a long time. That and Crash ;)

elizabethann
10-06-2005, 12:26 PM
I saw Million Dollar Baby last weekend. It was good. I hated her family in that movie!

I also saw the movie, Crash. It was very good. Great acting and the story line makes you think. It's about racism in America.

I'm watching the new Amytiville Horror this weekend. :eek:

cloverfdx
10-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Jada yeah it is pretty wild. Hilary is amazing. I would love to see her in more movies *Sigh*.

Kari, i actualy have a copy of million dollar baby on DVD but i have never watched it. I will do so tonight. If it is anything like her other movies then i will probably enjoy it.

finn's mom
10-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Yes, I did see Million Dollar Baby. Outstanding movie! The cast was perfect together. Clint Eastwood did an amazing job, as did Morgan Freeman. It was a very moving movie. One of the best I have seen in a long time.

Agreed, I love Clint Eastwood, and, this has got to be my favorite of his performances. I've always thought Hilary Swank was an amazing actress, but, for some reason she's always bothered me. I could never quite put my finger on it. But, I didn't get that feeling at all watching her in this movie. I saw it the day the Oscars were taking place, because it and the Aviator were the only two I hadn't seen, yet, that were up for best picture. I was so happy when it won.

Kari, i actualy have a copy of million dollar baby on DVD but i have never watched it. I will do so tonight. If it is anything like her other movies then i will probably enjoy it.

Let us know what you think of it...I haven't watched anything else of hers in so long, I can't tell you if it's like anything else she's done. But, just on it's own merit, it's an astounding piece of art. Clint Eastwood and Hilary Swank have this incredible, surprising chemistry that just left me feeling intoxicated, it was wonderful.

I saw Million Dollar Baby last weekend. It was good. I hated her family in that movie!

I also saw the movie, Crash. It was very good. Great acting and the story line makes you think. It's about racism in America.

I'm watching the new Amytiville Horror this weekend.

I was really disappointed in the way her family acted, too...heartless creeps, all of 'em!

I thought Crash was also a great film. Disturbing, but, you're right, it does make you think. I wasn't surprised by anything in it, though. I'm an optimist, but, I'm not blind to the fact that stuff like that happens all the time. :(

And, please...tell me what you think of the Amytiville movie, I've yet to see it...