PDA

View Full Version : Help, He Could Die..

sandragonfly
07-04-2005, 02:18 PM
:( I really hope & pray that someone could help me with an idea what to help my lovebug, avalanche bugster. as I'm waiting for a response from my vet, I sent an email last week explaining my big concern about one of my boys -- and more days come, I get more restless and worried.

this started about two weeks ago and still doing it as of today. when I rontinuely feed my cats, buggy eats (swallowing, not chewing) too fast, then he'd just throw that amount up in halftime of his breakfast/dinner. I quickly pick them up because it's gross to eat it again. then he just goes back eating. but after he's done with his last half, he does it again. not chewing is the problem.

so I started giving him wet food so he'd at least have some food in his tummy! :mad: but I realized feeding him wet food almost all the time now wouldn't teach him to chew and of course he needs some dry food because canneds contains 75% of water. icky, boring and unhealthy as his health declines..

he weights three-four less than all of his brothers. everymorning now, he comes up to give me his kisses but his gums is too cold and I just cry.. I'm afraid if this continues, he'd go down into terrible bill in future.

this morning, I tried to mix, wet food with dry food especially for him but he does it again.. :( :confused: :( I'm gonna try another vet-phone, please help...?

kittycats_delight
07-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Gina he may not be chewing because he may have some type of toothache or something wrong with his gums. So taking him to the vet is your best bet. I would say 9 chances out of 10 there is a problem in his mouth, teeth or gums. If this is not the case you may have to change his food. I know siamese cats have a habit of not chewing instead bolting their food down. There is a special cat food by Royal Canin specifically for siamese to stimulate chewing the food. I know Avalanche is not siamese but if this food can stimulate his chewing then it's worth a try. Of course check with the vet first to make sure this would be ok. Keep us updated please. All paws, whiskers, fingers and toes are crossed for Avalanche.

momcat
07-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Your best bet is to talk to your vet about this. There could be something going on for Avalanche to be doing this all the time. Maybe it's a toothache or something with his mouth or jaw that causes him to avoid chewing. Prayers are being prayed for him and that th reason is easy to resolve. Please keep us updated?

catfamily
07-04-2005, 03:47 PM
I've had dental work on a lot of my cats.Removed teeth that are very painful.My vet told me that it is 100 times more painful than humans cavitys.
My KiKi died of Cancer of the jaw at 16 years old but that shouldn't be the problem.It's not that common.
He probably has Stomatitis or an absess or cavitys or even a fractured tooth.And needs teeth removed.There are many healthy wet catfoods out there to choose from.I give mine both wet and dry.Wet is better because of Urinary Trac problems from it,but I get a very good quality and hope for the best.Good Luck.

catmandu
07-04-2005, 07:23 PM
MAYBE THE ROYAL CANIN KITTEN FOOD,WHICH IS SMALLER,AND EASIER,TO DIGEST,OR THE SCIENCE DIET SENSATIVE STOMACH?
WE ARE PRAYING,FOR YOUR LITTLE BUDDY.I HAVE MEEZERS,AND FIND REOFFERED FOOD,AT LEAST ONCE A DAY,OATMEAL,FOR SCRAPPY 2.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture458.jpg

Cataholic
07-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Gina,
I pray it isn't serious. I might have missed a post or two on this with your kitty, so, I apologize in advance if I am being too simplistic. One of my cats used to do this...and my way around it was two fold. First, I elminated 'beef' flavored wet food, AND I gave him his morning feed in VERY small amounts. Maybe I would give him a 1/2 tablespoon, and then ten minutes later, another little bit, then the next time, I would put all his food down. It cut down on the throw up alot. Not completely, but, alot. Good luck, and keep us posted.

sandragonfly
07-04-2005, 11:10 PM
thanks for your concerns of his dentals but I know this definitely has do nothing with his teeth/mouth injury. they just had their second shot two and a half week ago, hence had their check ups too. they all seemed purrfectly health. also, he's only five month-old but yes, it could be because since he's only one out of four doing this. and reading your posts about it had me to look into his mouth to make sure anyway, it looks really good. I'm just hoping his gums was cold because he gave me kisses just right after he had some water.

I called the vet office where I used to work before, she, the vet tech asked me a few questions and suggested me the same thing I did for my lovebug (wetfood or/and mix). she said it could be, just to keep this in mind - food allergy. but we didn't think so. that's something that his body immunity would receive protein from digested kibbles, develop an intolerance from different protein... and the food hasn't at least sat in him for more than a minute. I also asked if I should change food (royal canin or else), she said I shouldn't since it was his food since he started at age 6 weeks otherwise, could cause more problems as diaherra, upset tummy or a different throw up.

joh, sometimes simple's good! I've tried that a few days until yesterday, five pieces at a time, it helped a lot, only threw up one time out of four days but since I'm also responsible watching the others eating, I couldn't continue doing that and keep spilling his kibbles or get bit accidently often. I need my thousand hands and eyes! :)

actually, the phone conversation have got me thought of mashing his kibbles into smaller pieces and soak it with water a little. that's only a best hope for now. I guess he's just a little kitty, who couldn't wait to eat and gorg like a starving lion!

sorry if I was a worry wart, this was similar to my last guy, edges who did this just like avalanche and died so young last year. it scares me and weights an achor on my heart. :( thanks again, everyone - I will updatecha tomorrow on how his breakfast was.

momcat
07-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Don't apologize for being concerned about your little furbaby! You're a loving, caring owner that wants only the best for your sweet kitty. You certainly had a valid reason for worrying, I would too if Groucho started doing that. You did the right thing by coming to your friends here at PT. What makes this site so wonderful is how much everyone cares about everyone's pets. We share, we care, and we learn from each other. There are really fine folks here who are always ready to help. Please don't ever think you're worrying about nothing, if it causes you concern, then it's justified. With the exception of a good vet, this is the best place to come for answers and insight. Let us know how things work out, okay?

sandragonfly
07-05-2005, 02:50 PM
hiyas!

good news! what I did for him this morning and have been watching him since the noon...no throw up! :D I'll keep doing this for about two weeks then see if he could eat kibbles alone without doing that again.

momcat, thank you for your support. I know I shouldn't be sorry, just that I hoped my title didn't upset everyone. :)

orangemm
07-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Well, you gotta do what you gotta do, and that's one way to get immediate attention.

I'm so glad the little one is doing better.

skneisel74
07-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Don't forget that furbabies loose teeth two. Jazzi never lost her's and the vet told me that is why she has a hard time chewing but to do whatever I had to do to ensure that she was eating. Just be patient meowmie it will all work out. I am glad to see that people care enough to be concerned.

sandragonfly
08-17-2005, 03:45 PM
I gotta finish what I started. :)

just wanted to say thank you for your support.. and he's much better now!!

the first two weeks I took him to camptrip with me, mashed, soaked by water in solid food -- he never threw up then when I got back and left again for camping, I strictly asked my catsitters to pay attention to him. they stopped pouring water in his food on the last week of my second camptrip and not a barf!

sooo...when I got back, he's fatter! :eek: I wasn't sure if I picked up the right lovebuggy. :D ;)

right now, he's in surgery (nueter), hope this goodness continues after too! thanks again.

later,
..gina & buggy