PDA

View Full Version : Pet or Stray?

lady_zana
07-04-2005, 05:18 AM
I caught the 'stray' that has been hanging outside my apartment. He would run away when I got close but after talking to him for a few hours and feeding him, he finally let me pet him and pick him up. I carried him to my home and he rode in my arms without ever trying to jump away.

He's hiding under my bed now but not trembling like he's scared, just sitting there, meatloaf-style. I've got the door closed so he can't see my own cats.

We call him Little Pie. It was too dark last night to see if he'd been fixed but I *think* he is. He doesn't have a collar, though, and I have never heard of a TNR program in my area.

Here is the big problem: if he's a stray, my sister wants to take him. However, both of us love animals and know how it feels to have a pet disappear so we'd hate to accidently take someone's pet.

He is much more used to humans than I'd thought and I will let you know if he is neutered as soon as he comes out from under the bed. If you have any advice on whether I should go ahead and give him to my sister or release him again? I want to know he's at a good home but I don't want to steal someone's pet.

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions.

jenluckenbach
07-04-2005, 05:30 AM
Advertize a found cat with newspapers, vets, the local animal authorities and the police. If no one claims him then I think your sister has a new pet.

I would never just release a (tame) cat back into the "wild". If something dreadful would happen I could never forgive myself.

chocolatepuppy
07-04-2005, 05:48 AM
I agree you need to keep the kitty with you and safe. But I would have to try and find the owner. God forbid if one of mine slipped out of the house just one time, and someone kept her! :(

Palomino21
07-04-2005, 06:24 AM
I would keep the cat or give it to your sister but keep an eye out for signs being posted or in the newspaper's lost and found.

Grace
07-04-2005, 07:43 AM
Anyway you can get it to your Vet for a chip scan?

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-04-2005, 08:28 AM
Do NOT release him! Make flyers and put them in shops, on trees, in mailboxes, anywhere possible. Also go to your vet, and let him look for a chip. Be sure to hang a message in his waiting room too. Is there a newspaper in your region where you can advertize for free? A message in there reaches lots of people!

Good luck with that boy. He sure is lucky to have found you!!

catmandu
07-04-2005, 09:39 AM
IF HE,IS DIRTY,AND HUNGRY THEN,EVEN IF SOMEONE,TECNICALLY,IS HIS OWNER,THEY ARE BAD GUARDIANS,AND I HAVE NO COMPUNCTION,ABOUT REHOMING THEM.
IF THEY ARE IN GOOD SHAPE,AND FARLY CLEAN,THEN THEY HAVE GOOD GUARDIANS,AND I LEAVE,THOSE CATS BE.
THATS MY RULE OF THUMB,WHATS YOURS?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos755.jpg

kittycats_delight
07-04-2005, 10:57 AM
He may only be a recent abandonee. There are a couple of kitties in my area that are strays but most definately had a home at one time. They are waery of people but you can get pretty close before they bolt. If he was in poor condition, dirty & hungry I wouldn't bother with the fliers I would just keep him or let your sister take him if that is what she wants. On the other hand if is is fairly clean and not skinny and not too hungry then I woudl put up the fliers just in case he is actually a lost kitty. Good Luck and let us know what happens.

kuhio98
07-04-2005, 11:23 AM
I'd take the cat to the vet and have it scanned on the off chance that it is microchipped. Then, take a good photo of the cat and make up a flier and post it around the neighborhood. Ask kids because they always seem to know the pets. Fill out a Found Cat form at your local shelter/pound. You could even put an ad in the newspaper for a few days. Then,if there are no responses, it looks like you've got yourself a cat.

Kuhio was taken to the pound by a well-intentioned neighbor and she was put to sleep before we could rescue her. Now, all our babies are microchipped.

Cammie was adopted after she was found wandering. She has obviously been well loved and taken care of in her 13+ years. I wish there was some way to let her former parents know that she is living a wonderful life now.

I wouldn't wish the "not knowing" on anyone. That's why I think you should do whatever possible to reunite her with her family.

When a stray walked into my sister's house, she put a collar on him and taped a piece of paper to it with her phone number. He came back the next day and the paper was missing. So, she taped another piece of paper on it. He came back again with no paper and no collar. No one ever called so "Seymour" now lives with my sister.

lady_zana
07-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Thank you for all your advice. I understand what you mean by the 'not knowing.' I would be heartbroken if one of my kitties disappeared and I didn't know know what happened to her.

I will see about microchipping. We live in a smaller sort of town so I don't think many people will microchip their animals but it's worth trying if it will find Little Pie's home.

I'll also put up signs. I live right now in an apartment complex with several other apartment complexes near me. He may belong to someone in one of them.

Thanks again for all the advice and don't worry! - If I can't find his owners, he's got a good home waiting on him at Julia's. Thanks again for the help:)