PDA

View Full Version : One of the baby-kins is sick.

jenluckenbach
07-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Rachel, one of the 3 babies I am fostering (yes, 2 were adopted TOGETHER on Sunday) is feeling badly. Poor baby is so sleepy. No other symptoms at all. No runny eyes or nose, no coughing or sneezing. What could be wrong? I don't want an emergency vet visit if it is not necesary, but the good thing is that the emergency vet is only minutes from my house.

Any ideas? They did have coccidia, but were treated twice.

catmandu
07-02-2005, 06:56 PM
WE ARE PRAYING,FOR THAT LITTLE KITTEN,THAT SHE IS JUST A BIT,ON THE DOZY SIDE.
MISSY,WAS LIKE THAT,AND WAS DEAF.
BUT MY DEAR MOTHER,KEPT,THIS ONE OF SUZIES KITTENS,ANE WAS HER BELOVED CAT COMPANION,FOR OVER 13 YEARS.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos520.jpg

QueenScoopalot
07-02-2005, 07:49 PM
Did she recently have a shot? :confused:

catnapper
07-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Jen, I saw the vet Friday for coccidia... she said it bad this year and said the normal 5-6 day course isn't going to do it. I have enough for ten days plus left over from when they were supposed to have it for 5 days - you can have it if you want. She probably does have an upset tummy still. I've noticed my two girls are a zillion times more active now that the meds are kicking in. All Angeleyes did was sleep before we had the Albon in her system.

krazyaboutkatz
07-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I sure hope it's nothing and that she'll be back to herself tomorrow. Did she play very hard today and just wear herself out? If she does have something hopefully it's not serious and can be treated easily. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please keep us updated.

krazyaboutkatz
07-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
Jen, I saw the vet Friday for coccidia... she said it bad this year and said the normal 5-6 day course isn't going to do it. I have enough for ten days plus left over from when they were supposed to have it for 5 days - you can have it if you want. She probably does have an upset tummy still. I've noticed my two girls are a zillion times more active now that the meds are kicking in. All Angeleyes did was sleep before we had the Albon in her system. Yes, my vet today said that this years coccidia is much more resistant and that most animals need at least 2 ten day doses of it. My poor baby Starr is now going on his third dosage.:(

QueenScoopalot
Vets have such differing opinions on how long cats should be treated with Albon. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Most vets around here say anywhere from 10 days to 21 in order to knock it out.

jenluckenbach
Their shot was on Sunday, so not recently enough to affect today.

I think I am going to do another round of Albon, I saw diarrhea again today.

kittycats_delight
07-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Get Well Rachel and you need to perk up and let your foster meowmie know you are ok. get well vibes and lots of positive thoughts coming for Rachel.

momcat
07-03-2005, 03:16 PM
I can understand that going back and forth to the vet can be a major hassle. Poor baby, Maybe the best thing to do is call your vet and explain what's going on. Let your vet decide if baby needs to be seen or if a reccommendation can be made over the phone. Please let us know how she's doing? Prayers are being prayed!

jenluckenbach
07-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Well as of this morning all THREE were just like Rachel! :(
So Rachel got her second dose of Albon and the other 2 got their first.

As of this evening, Rachel is up and about, although still not 100%. I suspect the other 2 will perk up by tomorrow.

Poor little washed out babies. :(

Besides their medicine I am giving them nurti-cal.

rosethecopycat
07-03-2005, 07:17 PM
A dab of Karo syrup (light) on the roof of the mouth can perk up a kitten whose blood sugar may be low. Are they eating well?

jenluckenbach
07-03-2005, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the reminder about Karo syrup.

I forcefed them tonight, just to be sure. Rachel ate a bit on her own though.

furrykidsmother
07-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Poor babies! I hope that they are all feeling better soon!

rg_girlca
07-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Poor sweet widdle babies. It's bad enough having one sick, but then to have two additional ones is so heartbreaking.

I know you will have these babies up and in good health in no time Jen. :)

jenluckenbach
07-04-2005, 08:02 PM
the 3 are a wee bit better, but still FAR from perky. I am still forcefeeding to be sure they get full tummies.

momcat
07-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Hi Jen, how are the babies doing? Hope everyone is feeling much better and are back to wreaking kitty havoc.....

jenluckenbach
07-06-2005, 01:25 PM
They are not up to par yet, but you can tell they feel a lot better.