PDA

View Full Version : has anyone ever shaved their head?

finn's mom
07-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Hey, everyone! I've seriously considered shaving my head. Or doing something extreme to my hair. I am just feeling the need to do something BIG. It could be just a phase, but, I've felt it every so often for years. I just wanted to know if any other ladies in here have ever shaved their heads? I know a few celebrities have, so, I know some women look good with no hair. But, I don't know, just wanted to see.....

beeniesmom
07-02-2005, 01:59 PM
NOOOO Don't shave your head. You have suck pretty brown hair.
Maybe a short cut. I've always had long curly hair and got tired of it a few years ago (my hairdresser also burned the crap out of it), so I cut it short. The change was nice.... and I've kept it short because of the heat.... but I miss the long curls that I had. It'll take me a few more years to get it like that again.

finn's mom
07-02-2005, 02:03 PM
I've had my hair short before, and, I've thought about cutting it super short, but, like I said, I'm still thinking....I really want my hair long again, but, it's just not working out for me. I need to get a trim, for sure, though. :) If I do anything extreme, I'll be sure to take before and after shots. :)

beeniesmom
07-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Oh DEAR Finns Mom!
I just noticed what I wrote. I meant "SUCH".
I'm sure you knew I meant such pretty hair. My hands fly across the keyboard sometimes and I don't re-read.... sorry.

finn's mom
07-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by beeniesmom
Oh DEAR Finns Mom!
I just noticed what I wrote. I meant "SUCH".
I'm sure you knew I meant such pretty hair. My hands fly across the keyboard sometimes and I don't re-read.... sorry.

It's ok, i laughed. ;) it does suck sometimes, though, too. and, thank you. :)

beeniesmom
07-02-2005, 02:10 PM
:o

Glacier
07-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Well, if you're going to shave your head, why not do it for a good cause! Call your local chapter of the Cancer Society. I'm not sure about the States, but in Canada, they do a fundraising campaign where people shave their heads. You get pledges for shaving your hair off. The money goes to research, the hair goes to make high quality wigs for chemo patients. My husband is going to do it next summer.

finn's mom
07-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Glacier
Well, if you're going to shave your head, why not do it for a good cause! Call your local chapter of the Cancer Society. I'm not sure about the States, but in Canada, they do a fundraising campaign where people shave their heads. You get pledges for shaving your hair off. The money goes to research, the hair goes to make high quality wigs for chemo patients. My husband is going to do it next summer.

I've heard of that before, and, thought of doing it for that. I don't know if my hair is really healthy enough to do much with it, or does that not matter too much? I will look into it! I'd have to buy at least one wig, though, if I am still selling insurance, I don't want to scare people. ;)

chocolatepuppy
07-02-2005, 02:30 PM
Oh no , don't shave it all off! :eek: I have thought about shaving mine off just to my ears! I have hair down just past my waist but, I hate hair in my face! ;)

k9krazee
07-02-2005, 02:34 PM
I knew a girl that was on the swim team and she shaved it all off and looked really good. I have thought about shaving my head a lot but I am too chicken to do it. It would be neat if you donated your hair and it'll grow back eventually!!!!

finn's mom
07-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by k9krazee
I knew a girl that was on the swim team and she shaved it all off and looked really good. I have thought about shaving my head a lot but I am too chicken to do it. It would be neat if you donated your hair and it'll grow back eventually!!!!

we should all do a pet talk gathering somewhere and shave our heads for the cancer society. how cool would that be?

moosmom
07-02-2005, 02:54 PM
13 years ago my daughter Amy was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. They removed 75% of it surgically. Because of the chemotherapy, her hair (which prior to the disease was long, blonde and thick!!) fell out in clumps.

In order to make her feel less self-conscious, I had my head shaved. She was absolutely astounded when I walked into her hospital room with no hair. :eek: Boy, I saved alot of money on shampoo and conditioner that year!!! (My hair wasn't that long to begin with) I have no regrets doing it either, and would do it in a nano-second.

finn's mom
07-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
13 years ago my daughter Amy was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. They removed 75% of it surgically. Because of the chemotherapy, her hair (which prior to the disease was long, blonde and thick!!) fell out in clumps.

In order to make her feel less self-conscious, I had my head shaved. She was absolutely astounded when I walked into her hospital room with no hair. :eek: Boy, I saved alot of money on shampoo and conditioner that year!!! (My hair wasn't that long to begin with) I have no regrets doing it either, and would do it in a nano-second.

I'm sorry to hear that amy had to go through that. my brother had leukemia when he was a child (5 to 10 years old) and he had no hair for awhile, too. But, that is awesome that you did that for her! If put in that situation, I'd do it in a heartbeat, too.

kuhio98
07-02-2005, 03:03 PM
I like Glacier's suggestion. If you're going to do it, someone might be able to benefit from it.

I used to think about doing it myself when I was much younger, but not anymore. I was mauled by a St. Bernard when I was 12. He basically tried to eat my head. The doctors stopped counting at 300 stitches. Soooooooo, I decided not to shave my head because I didn't want to look at all those scars.

anna_66
07-02-2005, 03:14 PM
If I had the right shaped head I'd do it in a heartbeat! I'd love to not have to worry about fixing my hair!
Can't wait to see what you do:D

popcornbird
07-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by finn's mom
we should all do a pet talk gathering somewhere and shave our heads for the cancer society. how cool would that be?

Cool??? That would be awful! All of the pretty girls from PT would lose their good looks! :o:p

No way......I would NEVER shave my head. Nice hair is one of the most 'feminine' features women have...in my opinion. I can't understand why anyone would get rid of their nice hair on purpose, but to each his own, I guess. :p

finn's mom
07-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Cool??? That would be awful! All of the pretty girls from PT would lose their good looks! :o:p

I respect your opinion, but, I have to say (and, I can only speak for myself) that my beauty doesn't have very much to do with my hair. At least, considering how quickly hair can change or fall out, I certainly hope it doesn't.

finn's mom
07-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by anna_66
If I had the right shaped head I'd do it in a heartbeat! I'd love to not have to worry about fixing my hair!
Can't wait to see what you do:D

Ha, I know, that's what is mostly what has kept me from doing it, wondering what the shape my head is! :D

CagneyDog
07-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird

No way......I would NEVER shave my head. Nice hair is one of the most 'feminine' features women have...in my opinion. I can't understand why anyone would get rid of their nice hair on purpose, but to each his own, I guess. :p

I think it would be really cool and it is for a really good cause. Just because you shave your head doesn't mean you loose all your good looks!

Lots of people shave their head and its not just for looks!

In a way your post kind of hurt me :( Its such a good cause, and it certainly doesn't make people ugly :(

finn's mom
07-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by CagneyDog
In a way your post kind of hurt me :( Its such a good cause, and it certainly doesn't make people ugly :(

I agree. Again, I think hair is beautiful, but, that's not what makes a person beautiful.

Uabassoon
07-02-2005, 03:28 PM
This is the first summer in a long time that I'm not running around with a shaved head. Last summer I was even able to convince Alexa to shave hers! I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

CagneyDog
07-02-2005, 03:28 PM
I think hair is beautiful, but, that's not what makes a person beautiful.

Exactly....

finn's mom
07-02-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

Please do! :) I just went online and saw photos of Natalie Portman with her head shaved. That girl could do anything and just always be beautiful!

Uabassoon
07-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Here's Alexa with her shaved head, it had grown out a little by then. I'm still looking for one of myself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/uabassoon/Disneyland/IMG_0471.jpg

finn's mom
07-02-2005, 03:32 PM
I think she looks great! How long did it take to grow from the time it was completely shaved til it got that long?

Mutt_Maniac
07-02-2005, 03:43 PM
I think you should if you really want to! I don't think i ever could becuase i look like a guy with short hair and i have hit my head really bad a few times and the bumps are still there... You could even put your hair in a pony tail and crop it out, and see what it looks liek! That might help if you want to see what you look like!

swimma253
07-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Thats a cool idea! I would be too scared to try though! My hair grows about a half inch a year, so it would take me QUITE a while to grow it back. :rolleyes: :p ;)

P.S. are you talking about a completely bald head, as in shiny? Or just VERY short hair, like a buzz cut? :)

Uabassoon
07-02-2005, 04:17 PM
This was how short I buzzed her hair last summer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/uabassoon/party2.jpg

I think it took maybe 3 or 4 weeks to get to the lenght of the first picture I posted.

Toby's my baby
Originally posted by Uabassoon
Here's Alexa with her shaved head, it had grown out a little by then. I'm still looking for one of myself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/uabassoon/Disneyland/IMG_0471.jpg

She looks great!! I love her hair! :p

I had my hair cut really short when I was in kindergarden - 3rd grade. I started school with hair down to my booty, but then got it shaved off, I hated it, i looked like a guy, and my twin had her hair short too. People acttually asked if we were boys. I think getting your head shaved is cool now, when you have feminine features, unlike 5 year olds ;).

If you are not sure if you want to shave your head, but still want to do something dramatic, maybe you could get extensions, your hair isnt that long is it, its shoulder lenght right, or am i wrong??? I say go for shaving your head... it would be interesting!

cali
I feel like a big change too but shaving my head? lol no way, I just want mine cut short and dyed dark red lol

Karen
07-02-2005, 04:19 PM
I have had part of my head shaved, but it was for brain surgery. It was funny, because one of the women in my church askked me if I wanted her and others to get half their heads shaved too, for moral support! I said, "No, thank you, I'll be fine." And the surgical team was really cool - they didn't shave all the way to the top of my head, they left a half-inch or so of hair long, which formed a "curtain" of sorts while the rest of it grew back. My hair grows pretty quickly, and I have a lot of hair, so within 6 months, you couldn't tell anything had ever been gone.

Now if I shaved my head, people'd see the scar more, and I like having enough to put it in a ponytail in hot weather, anyway.

catland
07-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Well, if you really want to, why not? Hair grows back and you can always wear a wig if you decide it was a big mistake.

If you do though, don't forget the sunscreen.;)

manda_moo87
07-02-2005, 06:38 PM
I've never had my head shaved, I've thought seriously about doing it in the past though. Every year at our school they'd do cancer fund raisers and many of the kids shaved their heads.

MariaM
07-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Last year I cut my hair quite short, shorter than I've EVER had it, for cancer, but I think next year I'm going to shave it all off, if it's long enough by then. :) If you want to, I say why not? But I would do it for cancer. There are requirements though, I don't think it can be dyed and it has to be a certain length, depending on which organization you send it to. I think mine went to "Wigs for Kids".

jenluckenbach
07-02-2005, 08:36 PM
never my whole head, but check out the pictures in this thread.

My 1/2 bald head (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80349&highlight=my+hair)

finn's mom
07-02-2005, 09:46 PM
I wish I'd done it when I worked in my data entry job, it'd be a lot harder to do it, now. I would have to look at getting 2 or 3 nice wigs first, if I were to do it, now, though, as my I don't think it would be appropriate for selling life insurance. ;)

finn's mom
07-02-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
never my whole head, but check out the pictures in this thread.

My 1/2 bald head (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80349&highlight=my+hair)

I remember this thread! :)

finn's mom
07-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by MariaM
Last year I cut my hair quite short, shorter than I've EVER had it, for cancer, but I think next year I'm going to shave it all off, if it's long enough by then. :) If you want to, I say why not? But I would do it for cancer. There are requirements though, I don't think it can be dyed and it has to be a certain length, depending on which organization you send it to. I think mine went to "Wigs for Kids".

Yeah, I knew there were requirements for locks of love, but, i didn't know about for just shaving your head or whatever for the cancer society. Cuz my hair is dyed and not in the best shape!

BitsyNaceyDog
07-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I knew there were requirements for locks of love, but, i didn't know about for just shaving your head or whatever for the cancer society. Cuz my hair is dyed and not in the best shape!

I'm not sure what all the requirements for locks of love are, but I think the minimum length is 10 inches. My sister donated 14 inches almost 2 years ago.

finn's mom
07-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by KBlaix
I'm not sure what all the requirements for locks of love are, but I think the minimum length is 10 inches. My sister donated 14 inches almost 2 years ago.

I don't think glacier (she is who mentioned shaving the head for cancer) was referring to locks of love, though. I knew with locks of love that there were certain requirements, but, with the shave your head for cancer thing, I wonder if they're the same. I don't know, though....

kittycats_delight
07-02-2005, 10:51 PM
It's not the same thing. Locks for love is to make wigs for kids who have lost their hair due to cancer treatment whereas shaving your head for the cancer society is a fundraiser. It for donations of money.

sandragonfly
07-03-2005, 12:25 AM
never will... :o

in past two years, I've had lost A LOT of my hair and cry, cry over that all the time. :(

friend and I did a program stuff, that changes our looks, I did one without my hair.. I was surprised how good I MAY look. :p I think it was because of my THICK eyebrows. what about yours?

wanna an extreme change? perm it? blond it? :D

finn's mom
07-03-2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by kittycats_delight
It's not the same thing. Locks for love is to make wigs for kids who have lost their hair due to cancer treatment whereas shaving your head for the cancer society is a fundraiser. It for donations of money.

That's what I thought. :)

finn's mom
07-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Gina's Ark Inc.

in past two years, I've had lost A LOT of my hair and cry, cry over that all the time. :(

friend and I did a program stuff, that changes our looks, I did one without my hair..

wanna an extreme change? perm it? blond it? :D

Yeah, if I started going bald, I'd definitely shave. I always tell guys that worry about it, in my opinion, being bald is better than going bald. ;) Bald is better looking than balding. Again, just my opinion.

What program did you use to see what you looked like without hair?

And, as far as doing something extreme, I want to. But, I am trying to avoid anything that's going to kill my hair, like a perm or bleach. I'd rather shave it and give it a fresh start. :) But, again, I have to decide. This is something I've thought about for years, and, never done it. I think I'll probably get it cut and colored again one more time and see if I can get it to grow any, because I'd like to have long hair. I just don't know if it's in the cards. So, that's why I'm wanting to do something crazy! :)

sandragonfly
07-03-2005, 11:42 AM
yeah, being bald better than going bald...good one!

actually my hair is still a little bit thick, thanks to the THICK hair I've had before. many people thought it's thick from looking, thank god. :) but I DID thought this once or twice to shave, after I find a special treatment for a startover. but not yet.

I'm not sure what program, I'll ask my friend. I think you can find "facial" programs on internet too.

well, I still think you'll look extreme different if you make it extremely short, spike-it a little bit and color it with natural 'chemicals'...?

King Spartacus
07-03-2005, 01:07 PM
I did once (done almost anything there is to do with my hair... it's one of those things where I just thing "oh well, if I don't like it, it will grow back again!")!

It was heaven! The feel of your skull as the baby hairs (it will be baby hairs!) grow back again is amazing! And sooooo easy to clean!

At the moment I have strong urges to cut my hair REALLY short again... but I'm trying my best to resist (as my partner prefers me to have short hair... it's all about compromises... he gets his hair cut the way I like it, and I try to keep my hair girly, the way he likes it... after all, I see his hair more than he does, and he sees my hair more than I do!)

Also, if people have problems with thin hair... get a wig! Really, there are soooo many smart and gorgeous wigs out there, and they look completely natural! Even for people who just want a change, you can get nice wigs for a decent price. The three I've had cost me £30 each... one long dark curly one, one short (and REALLY smart) black one, and a red bob. Unfortunetly, they've all been lost moving over the years...

Sylvie, KS' mom

krazyaboutkatz
07-03-2005, 05:13 PM
I don't think that I could ever shave my head bald but I did just get my hair cut very short this past Friday. I love it and I feel so much cooler now.:) My hair is baby fine but naturally curly so having is cut shorter and layered makes it now appear much thicker.:)

slleipnir
07-03-2005, 05:23 PM
I see nothing wrong with shaving your head. If you want to, I think you should go for it. Shaving for the cancer thing would be great, I know people who do it. I also knew a group of boys who shaved their heads because a buddy had cancer. They didnt want him to feel quite so bad.

I personally don't have the nerve to shave my head. I know it's not about looks, but I already feel horrible about my looks, and I'm sure without hair I would feel so bad. It's probably wrong to think like that, but it's not intentional. I don't think other people with bald heads are ugly anyway. just not for "me"