PDA

View Full Version : Help! My gerbils nose is bloody!

Sam's My Baby
02-15-2002, 07:11 PM
Today I took out my gerbil and i noticed that she had red spots right next to her nose which appeared to be blood which were easy to spot cuz around her nose is white. I have no idea how her nose got bloody. It doesnt seem to be bleeding anymore, but i dont know what to do should i leave it alone?! This is my first gerbil, so I am not quite sure what to do. I need your advice

:confused: :( ~Worried & confused

Gepansy
02-15-2002, 07:32 PM
Hi and welcome to Pet Talk!
I have had two gerbils, so I'm pretty experienced.
My current gerbil is Oreo Sue(as you can see her picture on my sig)...her nose has also often been bloody, there is nothing to worry about.
I have often read that gerbils with bloody nose's can mean two things.
1-They might be allergic to their beding.(what kind of bedding do you use?)
2-Gerbils are curious animals and like to dig and tunnel...sometimes moving bedding with their nose makes it bleed, but it goes away quickly.
I hope this helps,
Alyssa

Sam's My Baby
02-15-2002, 07:55 PM
Hello! Thank you so much for the info!!! The bedding I use is corncob cuz i did some reasearch and i heard that cedar and pine are bad from them. I think it might have been bleeding from digging, becuase she is a chewing and digging machine and she loves it! :)

p.s. oreo is so cute!:)

Gepansy
02-15-2002, 08:04 PM
You're very welcome!
The bedding I use for Oreo is pine and there is nothing wrong with it, or to my eyes she is just fine in it.
Thank you also for the compliment on Oreo.

Sam's My Baby
02-15-2002, 09:01 PM
Oh, I guess that pine is okay then, but maybe some gerbils have problems with it and some dont. I think i am going to switch to pine cuz gerbils cant really dig in corn cob.

Logan
02-16-2002, 12:14 AM
I don't have gerbils, and you know advice somes fast and free, I'd use what works for you. I have been using Aspen shavings for my hamsters for a couple of years now. Just last week, when I was buying more from the pet store, the lady suggested that I try Carefresh instead. I haven't subjected poor Olivia to it yet. It is gray and has a papery appearance. But I'll let you know how it works. She may hate it! :D

Sam's My Baby
02-17-2002, 08:54 AM
Yes I have heard of carefresh bedding too. I think it is made from wood pulp, and they say its alot better than other beddings. I hope she likes it! :)

tazz1227
02-19-2002, 08:01 AM
I don't have gerbils but I have 2 bunnies and I also use Carefresh. I love it and they love it too. It is a little pricey but I think well worth it because they eat it and it is all natural so I know it won't hurt them. Besides, it is soft and they like to roll in it and sleep in it. :) I totally agree, no smell unless you don't regularly clean it.

Stenograsaurus
02-19-2002, 12:00 PM
I have four hamsters. I bought one hamster and was surprised with the babies about two weeks later. I use the Carefresh too and I would never use anything else. We all love it. It is made from natural products and better for them. The only time there is an odor is when I neglect to clean their cages for weeks. :o