PDA

View Full Version : Woman Charged with Poisoning Neighbors Two Cats

moosmom
07-01-2005, 03:50 PM
This woman shows NO remorse whatsoever!! I hope she rots in hell!!! :mad:

Elderly woman charged with killing neighbors two cats in Madison

Associated Press

MADISON, Wis. - A 78-year-old woman was charged Thursday with two felonies for poisoning to death her neighbor's two cats because they were attacking birds.

Myrtle Maly admitted killing the cats by dumping D-Con rodent killer into a can of "Special Salmon Dinner" cat food and leaving it in her back yard May 27, according to a criminal complaint.

She was charged with two felony counts of animal mistreatment, each of which carries a possible 3 years in prison.

She was released on a signature bond Thursday and ordered to have no contact with the cats' owner and his family.

The complaint said Maly had called animal control about the cats, which were owned by a family that lived across the street, but nothing was done.

"Do you know how nice it is to come home and listen to the birds?" she reportedly told a detective. "When I find these little feathers, I've had it. I love animals, but he drove me to it."

Maly's neighbor told police he typically let his cats 8-month-old Tiger and 6-year-old Tangerine outside for the night and the pets returned in the morning.

On May 28, Tiger came home alone and a few hours later began having seizures. The neighbor found Tangerine lying in the driveway, racked by convulsions and foaming at the mouth.

Tiger died that same day, and Tangerine died the following day.

After discovering the cats were sick, the neighbor contacted a veterinarian clinic and was told the symptoms were consistent with poisoning.

Knowing that Maly had called authorities about his cats in the past he looked in her back yard and found a can of cat food, most of which was eaten.

Maly said she didn't know how much of the poison she used.

"I just probably thought they'd get sick. I don't know how that stuff works," she said.

She is quoted in the complaint as saying she had mixed feelings about killing the cats, but added, "I have a good feeling because the birds are happy now."

She is quoted in the complaint as saying she had mixed feelings about killing the cats, but added, "I have a good feeling because the birds are happy now."

THAT paragraph alone makes me sick!!! n :mad:

JenBKR
07-01-2005, 03:58 PM
What the...OMG that is disgusting. It sounds like she doesn't even think that what she did was wrong :mad: :mad:

DJFyrewolf36
07-01-2005, 04:05 PM
This is exactly why I never ever let my two outside! Poor kittes...

I hope they send the old bat to jail, and hopefully talk to the owner about responsible cat ownership.

kittycats_delight
07-01-2005, 04:08 PM
I cannot say what I think of this piece of crap. What those poor cats suffered because this old bat wanted to hear the birds sing. I am soooo angry right now. I am shaking. If I were near her I would be up on charges for sure. What kind of a human is she? Maybe someone should lace the old goats tea with rat poison. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I AM SOOOOO MAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!

smokey the elder
07-02-2005, 07:00 AM
Grr...$%@#!!!

davidpizzica
07-02-2005, 07:31 AM
That is the most disgusting thing I have ever read! Why in the heck didn't talk to the cats owners first? I hope she gets the maximum!

finn's mom
07-02-2005, 08:58 AM
That's so sad for those two cats. I was pretty bummed to hear that the owner hadn't done anything about the cats going outside when he knew that the neighbor was calling authorities. He could at least collared and belled the cats. I'm not saying I think he got what he deserved, or that it's his fault. Just that he could have shown a little more respect for his neighbor and the wildlife. The lady said she had mixed feelings, take into consideration the media doesn't quote everything, they're only going to put into the newspaper what they think will make the "bad guy" look even worse. I hope she gets the jail time, though, as she certainly deserves it. she sounded a little senile and simple in the quotes given, who knows? :( A very sad situation.

moosmom
07-02-2005, 09:57 AM
It sounds like she doesn't even think that what she did was wrong

JenBKR,

My thoughts exactly! If she wanted to hear the damn birds sing, she should've bought a CD!!!! :mad:

smokey the elder
07-03-2005, 07:25 AM
If the birds are too stupid to fly out of the way...

kittycats_delight
07-03-2005, 11:53 AM
I am still freaking about this. Words cannot express the amount of angry I have for what this old bat did to those poor little angels. And to deliberately go and buy cat food and poison it and put it in your yard fully knowing you are going to kill something is beyond sick. This old woman has a serious mental deficiency IMO. I know it is malicious on my part but I would love for her to go through the same thing she put those babies though. I cannot say what I would have done if it was my cats. I couldn't be held responible for my actions. I just can't say that I wouldn't have retaliated.

LorraineO
07-06-2005, 09:27 AM
buy a CD??? Birds should have flown out of the way????? Are you two ladies kidding me?????? Cats shouldnt be out roaming and DO NOT have a license to kill or to roam about freely.... and no,, they shouldnt have been poisoned,, that was indeed extreme..

JenBKR
07-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by LorraineO
buy a CD??? Birds should have flown out of the way????? Are you two ladies kidding me?????? Cats shouldnt be out roaming and DO NOT have a license to kill or to roam about freely.... and no,, they shouldnt have been poisoned,, that was indeed extreme..

I think what everyone was saying was that she took an EXTREME measure to hear the birds sing, and if she wanted to hear birds sing THAT much, a CD would be better than killing cats! Perhaps cats should not be out roaming, but that does not mean she had the right to kill them. The cats were acting on instinct, she is obviously a very sick woman.

moosmom
07-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Perhaps cats should not be out roaming, but that does not mean she had the right to kill them. The cats were acting on instinct, she is obviously a very sick woman.

THANK YOU JenBKR!!!

finn's mom
07-06-2005, 10:11 AM
She's old and senile. She is from an era where they shot strays and shot animals that were ill or crippled. Heck, I still know people out in the country that still do that, and, they're not old and senile, it's just the way they handle strays. I don't agree with it, but, it's the way of life in some parts, still. I don't know for sure, obviously, if she was being truthful, but, she did say that she didn't know the stuff was going to kill the cats. Maybe she thought she'd just give the neighbor another warning by making the cats really sick, as she'd already called the authorities. I am totally against poisoning cats, that should go without saying, but, I'm more pissed off that this neighbor didn't heed her initial action and keep his pets inside.

JenBKR
07-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
THANK YOU JenBKR!!!

*Wink* we think alike

DJFyrewolf36
07-06-2005, 10:19 AM
It's a sad situation all the way around...

The owner should have realized that his neighbor had an issue with the cats being out and about when the authorities were called. It's a shame that the authorities didn't penilize the owner of the cats more, or at least express the danger of his cats being allowed to roam around. This is not justification to poison the cats of course, but my thinking is that a warning should at least given the owner a wake up call.

There are laws against cats being allowed to roam free right? Thats probibly what the woman was thinking when she poisioned the cats, that if the owners are breaking the law, they need to be punished for it. The punishment was very extreme though, and not justifiable but I could understand why the woman would go to this extreme as it seems as if the cats were a problem for a long time.

Now an old woman has to go to jail and a guy loses two companions. The world sometimes makes me really sad...:(

LorraineO
07-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by JenBKR
I think what everyone was saying was that she took an EXTREME measure to hear the birds sing, and if she wanted to hear birds sing THAT much, a CD would be better than killing cats! Perhaps cats should not be out roaming, but that does not mean she had the right to kill them. The cats were acting on instinct, she is obviously a very sick woman.

I agreed her actions were extreme.. but saying buy a CD to hear birds sing and if the bird is too stupid to fly out of the way is ,,, ridiculous! Cat owners have to take responsibilty for thier animals and NOT let them roam at night,,,, if it were a dog roaming ,, ppl would be outraged,,,, cats cause ALOT of damage to property,, gardens, cars..(and before any cat lovers jump on me,, yes,, dogs do lots of damage too) But in closing I have to say again,,, what the lady did was extreme,,,, there must have been another way,,,,

moosmom
07-06-2005, 04:02 PM
*Wink* we think alike

I think you meant to say GREAT MINDS think alike. ;) You're absolutely right!

JenBKR
07-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
I think you meant to say GREAT MINDS think alike. ;) You're absolutely right!

LOL That's EXACTLY what I meant! :)

lv4dogs
07-08-2005, 10:57 AM
That is really disturbing.
How hard would it of been to simply walk next door & explain the situation to the neighbor.
I'm sure he would of kept his cats indoor or put a collar on them with a bell.

Thats a BIG pet peeve of mine, people that do whatever they do (kill, call animal control, poison, steal etc...) to pets before even speaking to the owners.
A simple conversation could prevent a lot of time & trouble on everyones part.

finn's mom
07-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
A simple conversation could prevent a lot of time & trouble on everyones part.

She'd already called authorities and the neighbor knew she had. I'm agreeing with you that she should have been more adamant...hey, I'm going to keep your cats out of my yard if you don't. But, he did know that they were a nuisance to her. The whole thing is so sad, this is just why I can't see myself ever having a pet that stays outside. There are too many crazy people and people that just don't view pets as anything but a nuisance. Some people just grow up with different ideas of how to handle pests. It's disgusting, but, it isn't always indicative of being insane, crazy, nuts, whatever. Sad. :(

puggywuggles41893
07-08-2005, 04:43 PM
I can't belive the old loon killed the cats because she wanted to hear the birdies sing. Gosh!:eek: I can't believe it... the last quote made me mad because she sounded like she didn't do anything wrong.