PDA

View Full Version : Hummus?

Kfamr
07-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Does anyone have any good recipes for Hummus?
I've had cravings for this stuff since my friend Zographia's Grad party. It's so delicious.

I made some yummy Hummus last night, VERY garlicy. Tastes wonderful but I was wondering if anyone had any good recipes (that they have tried?)

PJ's Mom
07-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Can you post your recipe for hummus, Kay? I love garlic and have never tried hummus. :)

Kfamr
07-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Really, I don't have a recipe. :o
I just put a bunch of stuff together.

I took a can of garbonzo beans (chickpeas) and boiled them for a few minutes to make them softer.

Put them in a blender, lots of olive oil, lots of garlic, and a bit of garlic powder. (I love Garlic too. :o )

Cooled it overnight and just had some on matzoh bread.
My mom said that it was too garlicy for her, but good. I love garlic so I used a lot.

JenBKR
07-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
Can you post your recipe for hummus, Kay? I love garlic and have never tried hummus. :)

I'm with you! I don't even know what hummus is, but if it's garlicy I bet I'd like it!

Jadapit
07-01-2005, 02:41 PM
I found this recipe for Hummus online. It does sound pretty good.
I will have to try it.;)

Hummus is a creamy puree of chickpeas and tahini (sesame seed paste) seasoned with lemon juice and garlic, and is a popular spread and dip in Greece and throughout the Middle East. Hummus can be served as part of a meze platter; with bread or vegetable crudités for dipping; as a spread or filling for pita, lavash or Turkish pide bread; or as a tasty, creamy alternative to butter in sandwiches. A spoonful or two can also be added to Middle Eastern or Greek-style pilafs and stews to add richness.
2 cloves garlic—roughly chopped
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup water
14 oz (400g) canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans)—rinsed and drained
½ cup tahini
1 teaspoon sea salt

PLACE all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth, scraping the sides occasionally.
Variations: If you like a spicier hummus, add a small red chili (chopped) or a pinch of cayenne pepper, or try a little cumin for a more exotic variation.

Tip: Prepare extra quantities of hummus—it can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 1 week and frozen for up to 3 months.

JenBKR
07-01-2005, 02:44 PM
yummy! :D

popcornbird
07-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Hummus is SO GOOD!!!! I know what hummus cravings are like. I get them often, and then run to Safeway to get some. ;) My mom makes hummus, and it turns out REALLY good. The main ingredients are chick peas and tahini. I don't know where her recipe is, but I'll see if I can find it. She's not at home right now. She got the recipe from a Jordanian friend, and its really, really good. I'll post it if I can find it.

Cookiebaker
07-01-2005, 03:17 PM
I looooooooooooooooove Hummus!! I buy it all the time, so I don't have a recipe. I love it on pita bread! Yummmmy!

Barbara
07-01-2005, 03:22 PM
KayAnn - your recipe was purrfect but I would add some lemon juice to freshen up the taste.
Tahini is a can not a must- although I love it.

Glacier
07-01-2005, 04:22 PM
I don't have a recipe, but I use this site all the time when I'm looking for one:

www.allrecipes.com

It's free and easy to search. I've found lots of great stuff there!