PDA

View Full Version : What kind of food do you feed your dogs?

JenBKR
07-01-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm just curious, I was feeding Roscoe ScienceDiet (after trying several different kinds that he wouldn't touch, he at least ate some Science Diet). I got a free sample of BilJac in the mail and he went CRAZY! He loves it, so I have switched. Just wondering what you guys feed your dogs. :p

Bigyummydog
07-01-2005, 02:08 PM
NUTRO Small Bites~~lamb and rice

PJ's Mom
07-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Purina One Weight Management. :)

Denyce
07-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Nutros Maxx Natural...or something like that....she is doing wonderfully on it.

robinh
07-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Sojourner Farms (http://www.sojournerfarms.com/) or as it more commonly known "Sojos". I mix it with meat & veggies. My doxie Max has severe food allergies and it's too hard to just feed one that way, so they all get it. Only problem, I have to "cook" (make it up) every 4-5 days. Kind of a pain, but it sure cuts down on the medical bills for Max' allergies so that makes it worth the time.

JenBKR
07-01-2005, 02:53 PM
wow lots of different kinds. Roscoe is so darn picky. Before we got him from the shelter he lived with an elderly man who had to give him up. I suspect that he fed him lots of table scraps, and that's why he's so picky. I try to avoid the table scraps with him as much as possible (although he gets lots of doggie treats :D )

JenBKR
07-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Although I should say that he LOVES the cat's food!

Denyce
07-01-2005, 03:14 PM
*L* Well one of my cats loves the dogs food.
By the way are you anywhere near my end of the state...well I should say....my middle of the state? *L*

Denyce

GoldenRetrLuver
07-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Canidae. :)

JenBKR
07-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Denyce
*L* Well one of my cats loves the dogs food.
By the way are you anywhere near my end of the state...well I should say....my middle of the state? *L*

Denyce

Not tooo far, I am more southwestern. Ever heard of Greensburg? About an hour south of Pittsburgh.

Giselle
07-01-2005, 04:45 PM
Innova EVO and homemade:)

lizbud
07-01-2005, 06:34 PM
I feed mine Nutro Natural Choice (Lamb & Rice).

Christiansmommy
07-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Premium Edge and BARF diet every other day...when she is an adult, i will switch her to Innova Evo...but it isn't good for large breed puppies...too much calcium, promotes too quick of growth for their joints and bones...

elizabethann
07-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Merrick

dragondawg
07-01-2005, 07:09 PM
30% protein/15% fat for their Performance formula. I fed it to 3 different dogs, and they had no complaints about it. No allergies or other problems because of it. And it's half the price per lb as the major name brands.

Kfamr
07-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
I feed mine Nutro Natural Choice (Lamb & Rice).

Same. We just switched their food. I think it's been giving Simba the runs so I'm not sure if we'll be keeping it.

wolfsoul
07-01-2005, 10:28 PM
My catahoula will be fed a homemade RAW diet. My aunt feeds Timber Nutro Natural Choice Dental Care.

finn's mom
07-01-2005, 10:32 PM
I feed Finn a raw diet, and, I've never had a healthier pet. ;) It's the first time in my life I feel like I'm doing a service to my pet, as far as food goes, and, another perk is that it's cheaper! :)

micki76
07-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Solid Gold Holistique Blendz (fish formula for allergies)

KYS
07-01-2005, 10:49 PM
Canidae. :)

JenBKR
07-02-2005, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
My catahoula will be fed a homemade RAW diet. My aunt feeds Timber Nutro Natural Choice Dental Care.

What's a "raw" diet? I've never heard of that...

Christiansmommy
07-02-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by JenBKR
What's a "raw" diet? I've never heard of that...

It is also known as the "BARF" diet...stands for :Bones And Raw Food. If you do a google search for it, you will see how popular this diet has become. When i tell people that I do the raw food diet they are kinda shocked, but if you read up on it, you can see how very healthy it is for your dogs.

Harlee gets raw chicken and bones and veggies several times a week. We also do kibble every other day too, though.

anna_66
07-02-2005, 07:47 AM
Holistic Select® Chicken Meal & Rice Formula (http://www.eaglepack.com/pages/ep_hs_chicken.html)
My boy Bon has a sensitive stomach and gets the runs easily with alot of food and I have found this one of the best! No runs, no gas, healthy and breaks down fast.

JenBKR
07-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Christiansmommy
It is also known as the "BARF" diet...stands for :Bones And Raw Food. If you do a google search for it, you will see how popular this diet has become. When i tell people that I do the raw food diet they are kinda shocked, but if you read up on it, you can see how very healthy it is for your dogs.

Harlee gets raw chicken and bones and veggies several times a week. We also do kibble every other day too, though.

That's new to me...I might have to look into that though, as picky as Roscoe is he might like it. I did buy him Bil Jac a few days ago , and he seems to be doing pretty well on that, and he sure loves it! :)

beeniesmom
07-02-2005, 01:07 PM
A little Science diet, a little Nutro Natural choice and lotsa Merrick.
She also eats the home made stew I make for her.

Glacier
07-02-2005, 01:44 PM
I feed a combination of raw and Acana Working dog formula. The kibble is high fat, high protien. In the winter they get alot of raw meat and fat added to it. Being a sled dog burns a ton of calories so plain kibble just doesn't cut it in the winter. This time of year they eat dramatically less and get kibble alone more often for dinner.

Kay, lamb based foods often cause runny stools. You might want to try the Nutro Chicken formula if the lamb isn't agreeing with Simba. I used to feed Nutro and the lamb always made Sleet sick, but she did well on the chicken.

Lady's Human
07-02-2005, 03:13 PM
We feed Lady Blue Seal natural 26. Her coat is shiny, she's happy and not overweight, and it costs about $30 for a 50 lb bag.

Cincy'sMom
07-02-2005, 03:59 PM
Sadie and Spot get California Natural Lamband Rice. Cincy gets Sciene Diet Lite. They each get part of a can of Merrick about once a week.

Shelteez2
07-02-2005, 06:03 PM
The shelties get Innova Evo, supplemented with raw. If I wasn't so lazy they'd be on raw all the time... I even bought them a deep freeze...lol

Pam
07-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Nutro Lamb and Rice currently. I bought a small bag of Innova Evo to try and the way the dogs ate it at first was as if I had given them a juicy steak. :) Well now my picky Ripley is back to picking again. I think I will probably stay with the Nutro L&R at this point. They are doing well on it. Ripley is so finicky that half the time he won't even eat a dog biscuit, but he NEVER turns down a greenie though. (Boy I got off track with my answer. :o )

k9krazee
07-03-2005, 01:36 PM
I currently feed Iams, I want to switch foods but my mom doesn't want to go through the trouble :rolleyes: I buy Jack's and Micki's food so I am thinking about switching them to Nutro's Natural L&R. I see that there are a lot of people that feed this, how much better is it than Iams?

Chica
07-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Nutro is very good my dog liked it. She got tired of her food, so I mixed in Chicken soup for dog lover's soul dry food. She likes it. I quess you have to give them a little variety.

Bigyummydog
07-04-2005, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by k9krazee
I currently feed Iams, I want to switch foods but my mom doesn't want to go through the trouble :rolleyes: I buy Jack's and Micki's food so I am thinking about switching them to Nutro's Natural L&R. I see that there are a lot of people that feed this, how much better is it than Iams?
I thought we boycotted Iams?
www.iamscruelty.com

k9krazee
07-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Bigyummydog
I thought we boycotted Iams?
www.iamscruelty.com

Yeah, we have been feeding Iams for 10 years now and my mom decided that she doesn't want to go through the hassle of switching foods. Micki and Jack are my dogs though and I am responsible for buying food/vet bills/toys ect.. and when I get back from Europe I will be swithing at least their food.

wolf_Q
07-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Nebo gets Natural Balance Venison and Brown Rice formula

lv4dogs
07-05-2005, 11:19 AM
I'm feeding Nutro Natural Choice for Large Breeds again.

I tried switching to Innova Senior but it is kind of hard to find in my area in a big bag and it was a pain getting my pet store to keep it on hand, half the time I had to order it & it would be delivered late so I'd have to buy something different or travel quite a ways to get it. It was just a pain to get.
So then I tried Canidea Platinum but Raustyk's fur started to get coarse & turn reddish so now I am back to my trusty brand!

I'd love to feed Innova Evo but it has way too much protien for my old pups.

The Aussie breeder I am getting my pup from feeds Purina Pro Plan.
I'll be switching him over to Innova Evo after he is about 4-6 months of age.

caseysmom
07-05-2005, 04:44 PM
California natural chicken and rice...weight management for casey, puppy formula for bubba...

wolfsoul
07-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by lv4dogs

I'd love to feed Innova Evo but it has way too much protien for my old pups.

It does have alot of protien, but it is so low in carbs that high protien doesn't matter. The protien just replaces the carbs. :)

abbersmom
07-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Until this spring, I'd fed Abby California Natural (lamd & rice) or Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul...but she ended up with Kidney stones...BIG TIME. The vet said that those are both excellent foods, but not for breeds that are prone to have kidney problems...so we had to go with Science Diet canine C/D...
She went through a month of meds, plus 6 weeks of methagel which helps break up stones & now she's doing well...THank God she loves the prescription food!

tricollie4me
07-10-2005, 08:23 AM
We use Nutro Max Puppy formula

http://www.nutroproducts.com/img/maxdog/maxpuppy.jpg

Bijou does well on it so we'll continue :)

Buddy Blaze Lover
07-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by k9krazee
Yeah, we have been feeding Iams for 10 years now and my mom decided that she doesn't want to go through the hassle of switching foods.

Yeah, same here...:o I want to switch, but mom's all stuck up about buying food more expensive, so we're stuck for now.:o:p:rolleyes:

luvofallhorses
07-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Ol'roy :o My parents can't afford any other high quality food :o but when I get a job, I will probably be feeding them Nutro if my parents allow me to feed them, which I am sure ;)

GraciesMommy
07-10-2005, 08:01 PM
Bil Jac

Occasionally she gets a bite of whatever I am eating. She loves chips, especially Doritos.

halter91
07-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Purina 1 for large breed dogs.

pnance
07-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Canidae for 3 of mine, and a mix of Science Diet R/D and Authority All Natural for Bear (he's prone to weight gain).

pitc9
07-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach dry & canned

Lexi_Lover
07-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Caesar, Beef and Chicken formula! :) She likes it, so thats what we get her! We also feed her Science Diet Dental for large breed dogs which she occasionally eats as treats or a couple for food! :p

AllAmericanPUP
07-16-2005, 11:31 PM
Maggie and Shadow are currently eating Premium Edge chicken formula....we just switched them from Chicken soup...we might go back to the chicken soup though cause it seems to be the only food that doesnt make shadow itch like crazy:confused:

The rest of em eat Diamond lamb and rice

binka_nugget
07-17-2005, 03:51 AM
My two are currently finishing up a bag of Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. They've been doing well on it until just recently. Kai has some skin problems that keep coming back, his coat has become dull and his teeth aren't that great anymore. I'm switching them back to raw after we finish this bag.

Cincy'sMom
07-17-2005, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by abbersmom
Until this spring, I'd fed Abby California Natural (lamd & rice) or Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul...but she ended up with Kidney stones...BIG TIME. The vet said that those are both excellent foods, but not for breeds that are prone to have kidney problems...so we had to go with Science Diet canine C/D...
She went through a month of meds, plus 6 weeks of methagel which helps break up stones & now she's doing well...THank God she loves the prescription food!

That is exactly why we switched Cincy to Science Diet (although we by the Lite, not the prescription). I had not heard of a food causing kidney/bladder issues, but obviuosly it can!

What breed(s) is Abby?

new mom to a veiled
07-17-2005, 09:20 PM
I have a 7 year old Boxer, we have tried a ton of different foods with him. He gets an upset tummy very easily. He does really well with Pedigree Healthy Vitality for adult dogs. While speaking with my vet he told me when he (my dog) gets the runs to give him an adult dose of PeptalBismal. I tried it once and it seemed to work well.

LuvGold00
07-19-2005, 12:22 AM
Eagle Pack Holistic Lamb & Rice for Starr...
And the rest on Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken...

BUT, I am in the process of doing research on Wellness, probably will switch them to that. I've heard wonderful things about it.

cali
07-22-2005, 02:25 AM
I have fed Raw for nearly 5 years now, and the stuff is amazing lol

cloverfdx
07-22-2005, 04:19 AM
I feed RAW/BARF i like to know what my dogs are eating ;).

countrycowgirl
07-23-2005, 12:00 AM
I feed Diamond Premium Adult Formula...my dogs do very well on the Diamond brand products!.. I am thinking about switching to the diamond Maintance formula I am going to get some samples when I go back to the feed store so we will see:D.... oh and little bit gets one pedigree little champions pouch a day with his dry food:)

Xeph
07-24-2005, 01:37 AM
I feed Eagle Pack Holistic. Switched from Nutro. I felt it had too many fillers. I want to feed Wellness, but $50 for a 30lb bag of food is just too expensive for my budget.

On the bright side, this is the first food Strauss has been on that didn't give him loose stools or cause him to be constipated, which is what usually happens.

He come to me on PurinaOne, and was immediately switched off of it. I tried feeding RAW, and he puked diarrhea...that was the end of that.

I tried Canidae...did nothing for his coat. Tried Chicken Soup...LOVED it, but he choked on the kibble (too small).

bckrazy
07-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Xeph
I want to feed Wellness, but $50 for a 30lb bag of food is just too expensive for my budget.

I used to feed Gonzo Wellness, its awesome! It actually only costs $32 for a 30-lb bag... ;) now, I feed Canidae. It has lower fat content and Gonzo is finally down to perfect weight with it!

Tonielle
08-12-2005, 01:54 AM
I feed Royal Canin (junior).

I wanted to feed Burns (BUAV APPROVED), apparently brilliant on the tummy and very natural but he got the runs and it just wouldn't settle... After research I found that there were quite a few people with 1 dog who just couldn't settle on it, whereas most dogs found it really easy.

I tried many other foods EXCEPT BARF and none worked until I came on to Royal Canin.

Royal Canin has it's issues as well though, the puppy food (even the large breed!!!) has 32% protein and high fat etc... So he's on one 15 kg bag of the puppy for now and then I'm stepping him down to the Adult RC to prevent growth related problems

Expensive though... 59 euros for 15kg bag.

:eek:

*LabLoverKEB*
08-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Sadie gets Dick van Patten's Natural Balance.

Pawsitive Thinking
08-23-2005, 06:53 AM
Tobey eats Puppy Complete from Pets at Home. He also eats my cooking and pretty much anything that is on offer!

gabbiegirl
08-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Gabbie is currently eating Natural Choice for Large Breeds, but I usually get the Natural Choice Lamb and Rice formula.

lvpets2002
08-23-2005, 02:16 PM
My dogs like Hearty Choice made by Pets Mart.. But have to agree they prefer my cats Whiskas dry..

Miranda_Rae
08-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Heidi eats Purina Pro Plan Large Breed. She does well on it and I have not found another brand that has the same amount of fat as this one because she is doing so well on this one with the fat level and everything. If there was another brand that I could find that wasn't EXTREMELY expensive and that had 12% fat (cause I think thats what this is) and had better ingredients than Pro Plan (I think they have pretty good ingredients) but you know what I mean, I would probably switch. But for right now she is on Purina Pro Plan Large Breed. :)

GoldenRetrLuver
08-23-2005, 02:38 PM
My two were on Canidae and now I'm in the process of switching them over to Innova EVO. :)

dab_20
08-26-2005, 04:10 PM
my dog just switched from puppy to adult food. she eats IAMS.