PDA

View Full Version : Department stores - supermarkets?

Randi
07-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Another thread made me think of this - yes Debbie, it was yours! :D UK citizens who have travelled in USA will probably be the ones who know.

I'm not familiar with ANY shops in USA, but I know some in England. I wonder how you'd compare the following to USA shops to British ones. Are there any you think are similar - price wise and quality wise?

Harrods
John Lewis
Harvey Nichols
Selfridges
Mark & Spencer
Debenhams

Sainsbury's
Tesco
Waitrose
Somerfield

Oh, and my all time favourite - Boots!

aly
07-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Those are USA shops? Never heard of any of them :o

I couldn't compare them anyway since I've never been to the UK. But this will be an interesting thread!

*edit* I just realized I probably mis-read your post. Are those UK shops and you want a listing of US shops that are similar?

Randi
07-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Yes Aly, they are UK shops. I probably didn't express myself that well either. ;)

smokey the elder
07-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Here in the USA, loosely going up the bux chain, you start with WalMart and KMart, then Target, then Kohl's and Sears; higher end you get Macy's, then Bloomingdale's and Nordstrom. BUT, if you're clever with sales, you can get good buys at the more expensive places. I've never actually shopped at Bloomingdale's or Nordstrom, though. They are in Manhattan and I don't go to NYC to go to department stores!;)

King Spartacus
07-01-2005, 03:40 PM
I can't really remember too much of the US shops... as I'm not that much of a "shopping person"... but the most similar to Marks & Spencer would be something like Pennys (or is it called Jennys?)... TK Max is the same as TJ Max.

WalMart is like an Asda, just with LOTS more! WalMart has lots more clothes, toys, even pets, etc.

Tesco would be similar to Stop&Shop... just that Stop&Shop is WAY bigger!

Have you ever been to a proper Co-Op... one of those that sells everything in the UK? Well, that would be similar to Sears.

Didn't really do much food shopping in the US, as it's so cheap to eat out! Friendly's was a favourite!

Oh, and I found Burger King to be amazing in the US, whereas I can't stand it here in the UK!

popcornbird
07-01-2005, 05:02 PM
I've been to England SO many times, but can never remember the store names there. I *do* remember that UK's Debenhams is like our Macy's though.