PDA

View Full Version : Well I am back?!?! And with a wolf tail to tell.......*L*

Denyce
07-01-2005, 01:19 PM
It has been almost 6 weeks! My goodness the time flies.

Much has happened and I am hoping to get some of our vacation pics posted this weekend. We learned so much more about our silly husky girl. Including the fact that she gets sick and tired of car rides after about a week of them. On the last day on the drive home she wouldn't even eat her Mickey D's hamburger for lunch. Up until then she seemed to really enjoy being on vacation but I think the last day in the car was just frustrating her. She was sure happy to see home and started wooing as we drove down our street. She spent the next two days just flaked out in her kennel sound asleep.

We found out that she is not thrilled with horses, cautious of moose, and loves water. She also went berserk at the wolf. Yes. I said wolf.

We had just driven in the west gate at Algonquin Park in Ontario for those that don't know of it. It was about 8 in the morning and up ahead we saw a sorta medium to large canine type animal crossing the road at a slow trot. We pulled up across from it just as it got to the shoulder on our side of the road. It stopped and looked at us from over it's shoulder before it melted off into the woods. It was red and gray and rangy. It was bigger than a coyote but not as large as you picture wolves to be. But it had that type of movement to it. That long legged, loose shouldered gait.

Sequoia was just going nuts. The window in the back was down a few inches and she was doing the husky bounce while making an odd barky, whiny, growly noise. Definately talking she was! We stopped at an outfitter store later in the morning and was looking at some post cards and saw one of the guy we had seen just a couple of hours before. So I talked to one of the outfitter guys and told him what we saw. He confirmed that it was one of the Algonquin wolves and that it was a loner male that had been kicked out of the pack. They have been aware that it is hanging around down closer to the road rather than up in the interior. He said we were lucky that he had work there for 6 years before he got to see a wolf.

But can you believe it...we were so amazed and blown away that we were too stupid to grab the digital camera right there on the dashboard and snap a pic. :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We still can't get over it...just seconds in either direction and we would have missed it. I will catch you all up more in further threads on our vacation and on how our happy husky is doing.

Denyce

CountryWolf07
07-01-2005, 01:43 PM
WOW! That is so awesome! So lucky and it is such a rare experience to see a wolf in the wild.. I hope to see that someday..

Glacier
07-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Cool. I've run into wolves a couple times with the dog team. I love seeing them, when they aren't in my yard trying to eat my dogs. I have issues with them in my yard!

Denyce
07-01-2005, 03:03 PM
I would have issues with them in my yard also. We have coyotes here and often will hear them yipping in the evenings. It is funny, but Sequoia doesn't react at all to them. She acts as if she doesn't even hear them. But the wolf really excited her. Perhaps because she could see and smell him and the coyotes she can just hear at a distance.

Denyce

gemini9961
07-01-2005, 09:07 PM
What luck you have. I probably would have been awe struck too and wouldn't have grabbed the camera. That is so cool that you got to see one. Glad your vacation was fun.

NoahsMommy
07-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Sounds like you had a nice vacation. Can't wait to see pictures! :)

Welcome back!!

Oggyflute
07-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Your holiday sounded great, a bit of a shame not getting the wolf pic, but I'm sure you must have other great pics to post.:)

anna_66
07-02-2005, 07:40 AM
That's truly amazing, too bad you didn't get a pic;) Looking forward to seeing the others you took though.

Sounds like Sequoia had a good vacation although happy to be home:D

king2005
07-02-2005, 09:56 AM
The wolves around here arn't all that large. Alot of wolves around here r hybreds. I'm ohh maybe 30mins to an hour away from Algonq. I've never been there. My Hubby wont take me. SO I went to PEI without him hehehe

I'm glad u enjoyed ur trip. Did u get to see any of the bears, Pumas, Bobcats, Fishers, or Hawks/Eagles?
Were there any Canadian Geese? Since its so close to Ottawa, I could only assume there had to be hundreds of those darn Canadian Geese.

moosmom
07-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Welcome back, Denyce! I've missed you!!! Glad you had such a wonderful time on your vacation. Now, on with the pictures please!!! ;)

Denyce
07-02-2005, 10:44 AM
The outfitter we talked to said there was some controversy about the wolves being hybrids. They are much more like a red wolf rather than a timber. Not near the size of timber wolves. I would say it was a bit taller than Sequoia but not as heavy. Not that she is fat...just stockier...*L*...this guy had much longer legs.

Thankfully we didn't see any bear, bobcats or any other of those type of wildlife since we had the dog with us. We saw lots of heron. A red squirral was challenging Sequoia to her right to walk on the path. He refused to move for her and she was more than willing to make him a meal. He just sat there and chattered. I moved towards him and he moved aside far enough for us to move along the trail. I looked back and he was right back on the trial yelling at us...cheeky little bugger.

elizabethann
07-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Would LOVE to see a wolf! Lucky you!!!!