PDA

View Full Version : Bill to allow BSL in CA passes. :(

CathyBogart
07-01-2005, 12:53 PM
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/CA_BSL_Alert.cfm

The bill was eventually amended so that the only BSL that could be passed is spay/neuter laws, however....wouldn't spay/neuter laws applying to ALL DOGS be vastly more beneficial than just the breeds people are paranoid about?! Unfortunately, this is a stepping stone for the jerks who want to see bully breeds banned in CA. :( :mad:

K9soul
07-01-2005, 01:14 PM
I've read and reread it over a few times and to me it sounds like a step in the right direction, although I agree it should be for all breeds. It seems to me this targets irresponsible and backyard breeders rather than responsible owners and breeders. I am not really seeing how it is a stepping stone to breed banning.

Giselle
07-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
I've read and reread it over a few times and to me it sounds like a step in the right direction, although I agree it should be for all breeds. It seems to me this targets irresponsible and backyard breeders rather than responsible owners and breeders. I am not really seeing how it is a stepping stone to breed banning.

Agreed. I was ecstatic when they introduced the proposition of restricting backyard breeding. BSL is never fair or good for any breed, but I think this bill is a step in the, more or less, right direction. I'm very happy with Gavin Newsom's decisions and his open-mindedne:ss. Apparently, his office was bombarded with pages upon pages of how to prevent pit bull bites from fellow pit bull lovers and he has accepted their help (thus, restricting backyard breeding---oh, how I love to repeat that phrase!:p)

CathyBogart
07-02-2005, 10:30 PM
If this bill were truly about backyard breeding it would not be breed-specific.

BSL is BSL, no matter what face it wears, be it spay/neuter laws, making certain people buy insurance, or banning breeds outright. This bill was originally much worse, and it was only reduced through the efforts of a lot of dedicated people. IMO it opens the doors for a lot of other 'harmless' breed-specific laws.

It's kind of like prohibition....the scum BYBs who are breeding vicious dogs aren't going to care about new spay/neuter laws, it's just going to drive them further underground.

K9soul
07-02-2005, 11:17 PM
I never said/felt it was specifically about backyard breeding, however, during a time when city after city is banning pitties COMPLETELY instead of targeting bad breeders or simply people with intact dogs that don't keep them from breeding, I see it as a step in the right direction. During the bans, people have cried out for lawmakers to target BYB of pitties and irresponsible owners rather than banning them completely and worse, taking them from responsible owners. I see it as a step AWAY from banning rather than a step toward. I see it as they are finally listening to the responsible people out there and what we are asking for instead of what has been going on. As I said, I agree legislation regarding all backyard breeding would be ideal, however, right now I'm ecstatic to see this result rather than the one that happened in Denver for pitties and their responsible owners.

CathyBogart
07-26-2005, 12:07 PM
*Bump*

NOW I'm annoyed. I post about this bill and I get people sticking up for it. The second thread about this bill comes up and suddenyl everyone sympathizes. WTFlip!? Thanks a lot. :rolleyes:

Jadapit
07-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by CathyBogart
*Bump*

NOW I'm annoyed. I post about this bill and I get people sticking up for it. The second thread about this bill comes up and suddenyl everyone sympathizes. WTFlip!? Thanks a lot. :rolleyes:

The Denver ban doesn't even give people the chance to spay or nuter their pit bulls. They are banning them period....I dont think anyone is sticking up for BSL. I'm sure the people in Denver would have loved to keep their dog by spaying or nutering. Sadly, they didnt get that choice.:(

CathyBogart
07-26-2005, 12:45 PM
Regardless of the Denver ban, we're fighting here and now in CA to stop THIS BILL from passing. Talk to Joey on this page:

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/adoptions.cfm

He was pulled out of Denver at the last minute and no sooner did he arrive in CA then CA started trying to pass this law.

Jadapit
07-26-2005, 12:52 PM
This whole BSL thing totally sucks. Everyone agrees with that.
How's it going for you all there in trying to stop the bill from passing? I wonder how many more States are going to jump on the BSL bandwagon? :mad:

CathyBogart
07-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Unfortunately it's a waiting game right now. It passed the committee vote and has two more votes to go through. The worst of the bill was amended out, but it's still so sad. I feel like I've written all the letters I can to the people voting on the bill, so now I spread the word, and buy some cute pit bull stamps to support the cause. :)

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/prod.aspx?p=badrapstore.26535932

Jadapit
07-26-2005, 01:03 PM
Omg, those stamps are awesome. I'm going to get some. Thanks for sharing those.:D

CathyBogart
07-26-2005, 01:04 PM
No problem, glad you like them. :) :)

Pit Chick
07-27-2005, 09:54 AM
I have to agree that this new amended bill is a step in the right direction. If they can pass this bill in the form it is now, that will open the door for it to apply to all breeds later, therefore leading to the control of pet overpopulation. They aren't going to remove dogs from peoples's homes, or ban them from the city, or force people to muzzle their dogs in public, or force EVERYONE to spay/neuter which also effect responsible breeders, so I think it's a better resolution than what they were planning.

BYB's may try to go underground, but they have to sell the puppies somehow. There will be resistance, but for most (like the ones that want just one litter), it won't be worth the trouble and they'll move on to another easier money making scheme.

K9soul
07-27-2005, 10:30 AM
I never "stuck up" for the bill targeting specific breeds and I prefer to actually read all involved with something before I mindlessly make my opinion. The amendments were what made the difference for me, not the original bill. I agreed that the breed specific part was not good, but I also felt that it was NOT a step toward breed banning, and that there IS good in it in that it targets backyard breeding. I never said I wanted the bill to pass, I DID say that I felt that for the first time people are being listened to as regards to alternative steps to banning or breed extinction (forcing all to be neutered/spayed and all shelter dogs euthanized, etc.) The Sorryagain.com I think is a wonderful show of unity by dog lovers to protest breedism and BSL. If the bill was combating all backyard breeding I'd be more in support of it. However a lot of the pics on the sorryagain.com site talk about dogs being taken away and dogs being euthanized, and I could see no place in this amended bill where it said that would happen. It sends a strong message though and I very much enjoyed looking at each and every picture, all 200 some pages of them. I'm sorry you are angry at my opinions.