PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrrr

Pawsitive Thinking
07-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Hubby has just declared a new regime to teach Tobey who is leader of the pack (him obviously!!!) "He who must be obeyed" has decreed that Tobey should no longer be allowed on the furniture (which I can just about tolerate) AND that he can't sleep on our bed any more :( :( I suppose Tobey will get the idea eventually but I'm going to miss our morning snuggles

LeahMM
07-01-2005, 09:55 AM
I'm sorry.:( My hubby wouldn't dare try to keep my dogs from sleeping with me. They aren't allowed on his side of the bed but we have a California king so there's plenty of room for the 5 of us on my side.

lv4dogs
07-01-2005, 09:55 AM
I'm sure Tobey will get the hang of things after a while. And yes that includes jumping on the bed to cuddle when dad's not around. lol lol

Thats what my dogs did when I was with my ex, he did not allow them on the bed.
Good thing I got a great man now, he could care less. But since my ex they are still semi-trained to kind of stay off the bed which is actually great. They only et on the bed now if only one of us is on it or no one is on it or if we tell them to jump up. They haven't even tried to jump up when we are both sleeping.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Perhaps I should curl up with Tobey in his basket ;) The trouble is that faceache is going to expect Tobey to understand straight away - he has about as much idea about dog training as he does about raising children, but that's a whole other story

lv4dogs
07-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Or you can get Tobey a nice big cush bed of his own, one where you can fit too for the cuddling moments. ;)

One of my dog beds is completely oversized & its oh so comfy. So much so that I find myself laying on it instead of the couch. :p

mruffruff
07-01-2005, 10:13 AM
Samson slept with me for about four years before he decided he was alpha to me. So I taught him that he had to sleep in his crate or on a bed next to the big bed.

It took some doing. I lost a lot of sleep for a couple of weeks, but he got the idea. Now I let him on the bed when I'm not sleeping so we get to cuddle occasionally. Usually on weekend mornings. He spends a lot of the day on the bed while I'm at work. But at night, he automatically goes to his own.

Would Hubby go for that?

Pawsitive Thinking
07-01-2005, 10:17 AM
That may work - I know it'll be me that has to do the training any way so a compromise like that may be the answer

kittycats_delight
07-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Brody's Mum
Perhaps I should curl up with Tobey in his basket ;)

I bet before you know it hubby would let him on the bed again. LOL

chocolatepuppy
07-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Sorry but I'd tell my hubby he could sleep on the floor! ;) Anyways, since you're faced with this, maybe you could get Tobey a nice bed or blanket and have him sleep right next to you on the floor on your side of the bed. My Mandy seldom wants to stay on the bed,she gets too hot, and she sleeps right near me on the floor. I can reach over and snuggle and pet her anytime. Besides, she's my alarm clock so she's right there handy every morning. Good Luck! :)

Pawsitive Thinking
07-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Both are great ideas - hubby sleeping on the floor would give me and Tobey more space! I will try his basket next to my side so I can stroke his little head

chocolatepuppy
07-01-2005, 10:56 AM
Brody's Mum, I really do enjoy waking up each day and Mandy is right there! I can fall asleep each night stroking her fur! I automatically step over her if I get up to go to the bathroom at night! I love when she sleeps with me but it's usually only for awhile, and she gets down, but this is the next best thing! :D

Pawsitive Thinking
07-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Will let you know how we get on! Thanks for the advice

Bigyummydog
07-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Well, sorry I have no advise whatsoever. Sometimes I can't get into my own bed, because Kevin and MAXIMUS take up the whole thing. But, it still makes me laugh sometimes.

Lobodeb
07-01-2005, 01:12 PM
I don't really have any advice either, but I do have a bit of a funny story to share.

When we first got Maggy, my hubby didn't want her on the bed either. (Remember, he was the one who never had a puppy as a boy.) We tried crate training her, but I caved into the 8 week old puppy yaps and it was drivng him crazy. I went to pick her up, and she was shaking like a leaf. I told my hubby, "touch her, she's terrified." As soon as he picked her up, she stoped shaking, gave him some garlic breath kisses and fell asleep around his neck.

She now owns his pillow!

Denyce
07-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Since our cats were in the household first and our husky thinks the cats should be snacks, the cats get the run of the bedroom. However, in the living room we have a recliner loveseat and another single recliner that had been my mom's....you notice the past tense? When mom is at work or in her half of the house Sequioa will lie on that recliner. When mom is sitting watching TV with my husband and I then Sequioa will sit and stare at my mom trying to will her out of the chair. When it doesn't work she will go over to the sofa and jump up on it and flop herself down with a huge almighty put upon sigh. Such a spoiled doggy.

Denyce

Glacier
07-01-2005, 02:03 PM
We have the same rule--no dogs on the bed, but it has an exception clause. They can be invited up. They have been taught not to just jump up on the bed at will. They sleep on blankets and doggie beds scattered around the house. When we want to snuggle with them, they get invited up and can stay on the bed. Maybe Toby can get special invites to cuddle in the mornings?

finn's mom
07-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I never let Finn on the furniture until he was about four or five months old. And, that was only because my roommate at the time kept letting him up on his couch. But, when I moved here into my parent's home, Finn doesn't get up on the couch at all anymore. And, I, about a week or so ago, decided that in order to make his training all around more successful, I wouldn't let him sleep in the bed with me anymore. I feel like I've noticed a change in his walking on the leash already. So, it's worth not having the cuddles like I'd gotten used to.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-04-2005, 04:47 AM
The first weekend of the new regime was quite a success - Tobey didn't seem to mind being in his basket. It was by my side of the bed so I could still tickle his belly! Maybe I was projecting how I felt on to the situation........Tobey didn't seem the least put out and we still managed lots of cuddles too

chocolatepuppy
07-04-2005, 08:12 AM
That's great news! Thanks for the update! :D

Pawsitive Thinking
07-12-2005, 08:49 AM
Since last post Tobey has got us well trained! He has a comfy new basket next to warm pipes and only jumps on the bed in the morning when he knows I need a cuddle!