PDA

View Full Version : Costco vs Sam's Club

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-01-2005, 09:50 AM
Another thread made me think of this. Seems soooo many people go to Costco. We go to Sam's Club because it's closer to us. There is a Costco somewhat nearby, but it's still further and more inconvenient than Sam's Club. Is there some reason that people think Costco is better than Sam's? I've never been to a Costco so I can't compare the two so just wondering for input from those who have been to both of them.

The biggest way I use Sam's is their gas stations. There are two of them on my way to work and I usually get gas anywhere from 5 to 10 cents cheaper than regular gas stations. One time it was even 20 cents less! So I probably would not give up my Sam's card, but maybe I should supplement and get a Costco too?

JenBKR
07-01-2005, 09:54 AM
I have never even heard of costco, we must not have any of those around here. We do have Sam's club (which I really like) but they do not have gas stations. (at least I don't think, I haven't been there for a while - it's about 45 min. away). There is a new Sam's opening near me though.

Maresche
07-01-2005, 10:12 AM
In our area we have a 3rd option, BJ's and that's where we do our "bulk" shopping. The membership is cheaper than Costco and it isn't a Walmart affliated company like Sam's club.

We buy our staples there (dry pasta, pasta sauce, canned tomatoes and soup, baking supplies, lunchmeats, butcher meat, etc.) and I've never had cause to complain.

JenBKR
07-01-2005, 10:17 AM
We don't have a BJ's either...sheesh!

caseysmom
07-01-2005, 10:18 AM
We have membership at both for our business. I prefer costco for many reasons...returns are much easier...produce and meat are a better quality.

gini
07-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Debbie, I have never been in a Sam's Club - mainly because there isn't one close to me.

There are so many good buys on things there that it is sometimes dangerous (for your budget) to shop there.

Although I have found that if you see something that is really a great buy but wasn't on your shopping list - that if you really want it - get it - because next time they won't have it anymore.

I try to go to Costco with a list - but always come away with more than was on my list.

The meat at my Costco is always good.

DJFyrewolf36
07-01-2005, 10:33 AM
We only have a Costco near us but it is GREAT! They even have good prices on electronics and stuff. The closest Sams Club to us is 40 miles away and I've heard nothing but complaints about it. Everyone I talk to says Costco is better. Our Costco has a gas station too, and it is usually 10-20 cents cheaper than everywhere else.

beeniesmom
07-01-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm a member at SAMs and BJ's.
Actually I am a Sams member and my mom in law has the second card.
She's with BJ's and I have her second card.
Works out great for both of us.
I wish COSCO was closer to me because I'd prefer them over SAMS sometimes.

dukedogsmom
07-01-2005, 12:05 PM
My brother in Maryland uses BJ's and also gets his gas there. We have no Costco so we have to use Sams. I, personally, think they are all about the same.

NoahsMommy
07-01-2005, 12:19 PM
I've only been to a Sam's Club once, but I do have a Costco card...LOVE Costco! :)

They always have really neat items.

BitsyNaceyDog
07-01-2005, 12:31 PM
I don't go to any of them, they are all too far away from my house. The closest one to me is BJ's and that's a good 30 minutes away. My parents live closer to it and they go on occasion. I've heard rumors that we are suppose to get a Sams Club in my town sometime soon, but I don't know if it's true. I've never been to Costcos, the closest one is way too far away for me to bother going to.

ramanth
07-01-2005, 12:41 PM
I was under the impression that Sam's Club and Costco were owned by the same "mother" company. :confused:

Could be wrong though.

moosmom
07-01-2005, 01:13 PM
My friend Carol works at Costco in Vermont. I've heard alot of great things about Costo, including their premium cat food. I've always wanted to try it with my cats, but I don't know of a Costco around where I am. :(

crsvstang
07-01-2005, 02:12 PM
I don't go to any of them since they are all to far from me. I think the closet Sam's Club might be 1 hour from here.

I've heard they are going put a Sam's Club about 30 mins from where I live. But I don't know if it is true or not it would be nice.

JenBKR
07-01-2005, 02:22 PM
moosmom this is totally off the subject (sorry!) but I love the little blurb under your name (Dear mom & dad...) that is one of my new favorite songs!

I really like the band too.

smokey the elder
07-01-2005, 02:56 PM
We have a BJ's and they have very good deals. They have started carrying international food mixes, which I really like. They also have fresh prepared dinners and GREAT bakery! Every year for my rescue's penny social I buy a couple of cheesecakes as part of the bakery table an they disappear quick! The 40 lbs of scoopable kitty litter for $7 isn't bad either.:p

popcornbird
07-01-2005, 02:58 PM
We don't have a Sam's Club nearby, but we always go to Costco, and I *love* it. ;)

GoldenRetrLuver
07-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Costco is awesome. I love the free samples. ;)

I've only been to a Sam's Club once, and I can't really remember enough about it to say if I think it's "better" than Costco or not.

ramanth
07-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
I've always wanted to try it with my cats, but I don't know of a Costco around where I am. :(
Donna,
I went to Costco (http://www.costco.com), clicked on 'Warehouse Locator' , typed in Ecorse, MI and it brought up quite a few in the Metro Detroit area. There is even one in Windsor.

The Windsor one is 7 miles away from Ecorse. There is one in Livonia that is about 13 miles away.

http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/LocationTemplate.aspx?Warehouse=390

:)

slick
07-01-2005, 03:06 PM
In Canada, we have Costco but no Sam's Club. We also have The Real Canadian Superstore which is smaller and less "warehousey" looking. They don't sell electronics or appliances but do give good deals on groceries and gas. When you purchase gas there you get a coupon for so much off your groceries.

The best deal they have is on toilet paper......:D :) 24 double rolls for about 8 bucks.

prechrswife
07-01-2005, 04:22 PM
We only have Sam's Club here. I say here; what I mean is in the place 20 miles from here where we do most of our shopping.:)

Edwina's Secretary
07-01-2005, 04:33 PM
I have Costco and Don has Sam's Club (because I won't have a membership in anything to do with the Walton family.....)

Costco is EVERYWHERE here. I think Sam's Club is cleaner than Costco.... and Costco only takes American Express....

elizabethann
07-01-2005, 04:55 PM
What an ironic post. My boss & I went to Sam's Club yesterday and he mentioned there was a Costco in Nashua NH and that I should check it out because it was awesome. He said Costco is more upscale and I guess they carry more clothes. NH has a Sam's Club, BJ's and a Costco. I'm not sure if I've ever been to BJ's and I know I've never been to Costoco but I can't wait to check it out per my boss's recommendation!

RICHARD
07-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by gini
Debbie, I have never been in a Sam's Club - mainly because there isn't one close to me.

Gini is still mad about what happened at Costco, In the checkout line.:confused:

She's scared about what may happen at Sam's club.

manda_moo87
07-02-2005, 07:03 PM
We don't have any Sam's Clubs here but have a couple Costcos and I LOVE Costco! :D

MariaM
07-02-2005, 07:17 PM
They have a Costco here, (well, 2 and a half hours away) but like slick said, there is no Sam's Club, though I think I've been in one once in Kansas City. My aunts and uncles seem to like it, but I'm not sure if there's a Costco around there. I would assume so though.

Slick, at our Superstores they have some electronics and appliances.

IRescue452
07-02-2005, 10:28 PM
I don't know what Costco is. I don't like Sam's Club because you have to buy twice as much stuff and spend twice as much to get the same number of items. Not to mention you have to pay money to shop there. Who the heck pays money to shop at a store? I'm sorry if you guys do but I think its idiotic.

tomkatzid
07-03-2005, 02:48 AM
We are members of both Costco and Sam's. I only buy one thing at Sam's, their brand of glucosamine & chondroitin. It doesn't have any fish products.
We buy everything we can at Costco on their American Express. We get 4% back on what we spend on the card at the end of the year. Can't beat that, it's several hundred dollars. No matter where you use the AMX card it counts towards your 4%. I NEVER pay cash for anything, as I want that 4% less option !!
The main reason we buy only from Costco and Costco.com is the return policy. It's forever. 6 mths on computers. But forever on anything else.

tomkatzid
07-03-2005, 02:49 AM
ps: I also buy one kind of cookie from Sam's but I try not to too often, as I eat 1/2 a box in a day !!