PDA

View Full Version : Fin rot in goldfish! *HELP*

King Spartacus
07-01-2005, 08:01 AM
I just noticed today that the fish has fin rot. About a week ago, I noticed that one of my 5 goldfish has white spots, no problem I thought, and added medicine to the pond... I turned the pump/filter off, as it said on the medicine bottle to keep it off for a week... Today I was actually going to change all the water in the pond (as the filter/pumps been off), and I noticed fin rot on all the fish...

We added a new fish about 4 weeks ago, and he was the one who first got the white spots. As the rest of the fish have always been well (ones been in the pond for quite a few months, 2 for over a year, and one for over 3 years), I think the decease come form the new-comer.

I've googled fin-rot, and found that MYXAZIN should be used to treat fin rot. Any other suggestions? I'm really upset about this, as they are not just fish to me, but my little babies (often more of a pet than Spartacus!). At the moment I've been sitting sobbing by the pond telling them how sorry I am... not that they care, they just want food!

To make the whole thing more frustrating... our car is in the garage, and I won't be able to get any new medicine until tomorrow. I will of course ask the garden centre for advice, but I thought some of you guys might have some better advice than them (after all, I did get the new one from them, and look what happened!)...

Thank you! Sylvie, KS' mom

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/kingspartacus/bbbjuly05.jpg
Big bugger Bubbah (the new one) before he showed signs of being ill!

Pawsitive Thinking
07-01-2005, 08:52 AM
I am sorry to hear what you are going through - no advice I'm afraid but lots of good wishes if they help

IRescue452
07-01-2005, 09:20 AM
Sounds like this new fish already has a fungus problem which is secondary to fin rot. Treat for fin rot first then move on the treating for fungus. Hopefully they will all pull through ok.

King Spartacus
07-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Gosh... I really do hope they'll be ok... and I feel so bad not being able to get anything today.
Thanks for the tip though... and thanks for not rubbing it in that I'm an idiot not quaranteening the new fish! :p

And Brody's mom - thanks for good wishes! I don't know if they help, but they sure cheered me up!

Pawsitive Thinking
07-01-2005, 10:23 AM
My pleasure - after all you made me laugh yesterday when I was low :)

Scooby4
07-01-2005, 11:01 AM
My suggestion is to immediately throw away the filters in your pond. They are still sitting in the water aren't they? They still may have the infection in them. I would also scour the filtration system as best you can. Use some hot water if possible.
NEVER use any kind of chemicals to clean your filtration system You may use some bleach occassionally but if it is a black materials or plastic it will ruin it. Bleach should only be used on glass materials. There is an EXCELLENT cleaner available at the store such as home depot/Lowes to treat ponds. It is quite expensive. The BEST solution to use is Aquarium Salt and lot's of water. Use paper towells or spunches with NO chemicals added.
Now that you have cleaned the system, now it is time for the treatment. Mythelene Blue or Tricyclene may be good medications. Mythelene Blue may add some color to your pond as well. Making the pond a blue color also helps in preventing algea from growing as well. Here is the additional information to help in the healing. Add AQUARIUM SALT to the water!!!:cool: This aids in healing of the fish. Add a little more than normal useage but not much more. Depending on the size of your pond you may need to adjust the amount.
It also helps to raise the temperature of the water at the same time you add the medicines/salt. Goldfish are normally cold water fish. However, when fish are sick the tank tempature should be raised up to 5 degrees more. If you can get an aquarium heater added to the pond temporarily this may help.
Good luck with the fish! Fin rot or fungus isn't easy to deal with. However, it can be curable. Next time isolate the incoming fish for a few days if possible. Pet Stores are notorious for not incubating new fish prior to selling. Good luck!!!

King Spartacus
07-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Thank you!!! I'm gonna scub the whole pond tomorrow (I was gonna clean it today, but as I noticed them being ill, I thought I'd wait until tomorrow when we can get the medicine). The pump and filter is off (should I remove it? As the fish is still in the same water?)

Mythelene Blue or Tricyclene, gotta remember that... oh what the heck... I'll just print your post, that way I'm sure i'll remember! Thanks a lot though! These fish means a lot to me! We had Dr Evil and Brains for 4 years now (used to have them in an aquarium when we lived in a flat), and they're my little babies. It's so upsetting seeing them ill, and I'm feeling really helpless. I've never actually had any ill fish before (except for a betta, and he died after 2 days), nor do I have any real good experience with ponds (great with aquariums... the pond came with the house, so it was kind of a hand-down... and so was Spotted Dick, he'd lived in the pond for 2 years when we got it).

At the moment the water is quite warm, as we've got hot weather, if the weather changes, I'll get a water heater (have a tiny one for an aquarium... doubt if it'll be any good in the pond).

I'm feeling really guilty too, for adding BBB straight into the pond, but as the garden centre said he was healthy, I just took their word for it... and now all the other fish has to suffer for my foolishness.

It has happened within the last two days, though... as I've been keeping a close eye on them due to the white spots BBB has. But yesterday it was such awful rain here, I just ran outside, and quickly fed them, and ran back in (also... only fed them once yesterday... poor babies!)

And today... finrot.... aaargh!

Scooby4
07-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Temporarily remove the filter while you clean it since you don't have it running anyways. The only reason why your not running the filter is so that the filtration system won't clean out the medication. I may let the filteration system run for an hour AFTER adding the medication so it can have the medication in it's system while it is sitting there.
Mythlene Blue is a common additive for illness and can be used for a variety of illnesses. It worked great for my Betta and other fish. It is critical that you buy Aquarium salt and do NOT use table salt or other salt like products. Aquarium salt is always good to have on hand and add to the water. Just don't oversalt. I would also add some Stress Coat to the water after they get well or after a complete water change. Helps them deal with the stress of the situation. Always add the stuff when adding new fish as well.
Good luck! Hope they get better soon!!!

King Spartacus
07-05-2005, 12:09 PM
The pond has been scrubbed, and medication has been added (Saturday)... Flasher and Spotted Dick are doing really well. They've hardly got any fin rot (just the tiniest bit), and are happy and feisty, as normal! Brains and Dr Evil has got it pretty bad, but Brains doesn't seem to know he's got it! He's still as active as normal. Dr Evil has improved since the medicine was added. He still looks pretty bad, but he's now perking up again, and is nearly back to the activity level he used to be...

Poor BBB... I've got a feeling he's not gonna make it. He keeps just lying on the bottom, or hides in the plant. He doesn't eat, nor swim around. Flasher is being really sweet, and keeps lying next to him. I was considering taking BBB inside, in the aquarium (which is empty and stored away at the moment), but I thought the better of it. If he's dying, atleast I can give him the gift of being in the surroundings he knows, and with his little pals.

I've done all I can do now, and it's now in the hands of God... please, if you got a sec, do a little prayer for my little ones, especailly for BBB! Thank you!!!

Sylvie, KS' mom

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/kingspartacus/fishnames.jpg
The rest of the gang, before BBB came to live with us!

King Spartacus
07-07-2005, 12:58 PM
For all of those who advised, or just took a sec to send some good wishes, or doing a little prayer for my little guys: THANK YOU!

Brains, Flasher and Spotted Dick are in the pink. Dr Evil seems a little ill still, but he's swimming like a champion, and I'm sure he'll be fine!

But, the best news of all: BBB swam today! Yes, after days of him just lying on the bottom, with no movement at all, he decided to take a swim! I was so happy I nearly cried! I'm still not sure if he'll make it, but atleast there's hope now!!!

So, thank you all!!!

IRescue452
07-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Happy they are doing better. I hope that is the end of your fish problems and they all live a long time.

King Spartacus
07-10-2005, 10:20 AM
BBB has for the last 2 days been swimming happily along, and eating like a true champion! His fins are pretty bad, and his top (or is it called back?) fin still doesn't work. Neither did Dr Evils until today, finally today, his fin is back up, and he's doing fantastic!!!

Flasher and Spotted Dick now has no signs of the illness at all. Brains' fins are still a bit frayed, but they're healing well.

Yes - I believe they'll all be fine!!! *doing my "they'll all be fine" dance*

Best wishes from a ever so happy Sylvie, KS' mom!!!