PDA

View Full Version : Animal 1st Aid/CPR class -- Santa Clara county, California

AmberLee
02-15-2002, 02:19 PM
Who: Santa Clara county Pet Sitters association sponsored. The trainer is certified, I don't remember which board's certification he has...

What: Pet first aid and CPR class (I believe the focus will be for cats and dogs -- owners and caregivers)

When: Sunday, 3 March (start time not announced yet, training to be roughly 2.5 to 3 hours)

Where: A private home in Fremont, CA. Specifics not yet announced.

Cost: $25/attendee.

My pet sitter alerted me to this opportunity and assures me there are several openings still available. I will update this post as details come in. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

I know this is an international board, but there are a lot of Santa Clara county residents who are members/lurkers here. Provided for your info.

tatsxxx11
02-16-2002, 07:54 AM
What a coincidence that you posted this AmberLee! I just enrolled in a Natl. Red Cross 4 hr. certification class in pet emergency treatment, (dogs and cats basically) with an emphasis on CPR! I couldn't believe that not ONE co-worker at the kennel wished to sign on and take the class with me! I feel it should be required training for anyone who works with companion animals. We have numerous small injury emergencies at work: cuts, sprains, paw pad injuries, insect bites, etc. and occasionaly more serious emergencies such as bloat, urinary retention and UTI and some may remember that a couple of months ago we had a cardiac arrest in a small doggie awaiting grooming!! The class description sounds very informative. When it comes to my furkids, I don't feel I can be TOO well informed or armed for action! Thanks for the alert on classes scheduled in your part of the world. I think it's so important!

Phred
02-18-2002, 06:22 PM
Pet FIRST AID
& CPR Links...

Here are some links to the American Red Cross

Pet FIRST AID Course (Classes)

Red Cross First Aid Course: (http://www.redcross.org/services/hss/courses/pets.html) this link is to the American Red Cross National Web Site. At the BOTTOM of the page is a click link (NOT underlined, but it does click) "Chapters Offering Pet First Aid" that brings up a page of Local Chapters all over the US that teach the First Aid Course. It's a 3-4 hour course that costs about $20 at most chapters. Our Chapter has taught this course to some Police Department K-9 Officers.

Red Cross "Pet First Aid" BOOK

Red Cross BOOK REVIEW @ About.com: (http://vetmedicine.about.com/library/weekly/aa050900a.htm) Reviews the "Pet First Aid" book and gives a click link to order it ($12.95 +$2 S&H) from the Baltimore Red Cross. You should also check your Local RC Chapter - they might have it in stock without the S&H charge. About.com gives it a *Rave* review!

You can also view Sandra's previous post at:
"Animal CPR" in Dog General (http://64.246.0.213/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2214) for some CPR Tips and related links.

I think I'll ask the FurKids to sign me up for the class and get me the book for my B-day or Dad's Day :D.

wolflady
02-19-2002, 12:38 PM
This is all great stuff to know. Amberlee, I'm definitely going with ya!:D